Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 148533 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #560 on: March 08, 2013, 01:59:48 PM »
Does anyone here like Ted Leonard's vocals more than Neal's or Nick's? Not to diminish their vocal abilities, but I think I'm going to end up liking Ted more in the long run. While I still love his music, I don't really like Neal's vocals as much as I used to (I used to love his vocals; maybe I've been overplaying his material?) and Nick, while a good singer, has never really been a favorite of mine.

There is no way he will surpass Neal, for me anyway.  NDV, not sure.  NDV often struck me as a great background singer doing lead vocals for now, but his voice had a certain charm to it.  Again, Leonard more range, but, again, lacks the character of the other two, IMO.  But it's still early, so his voice could certainly grow on me.

Oh, and, yes, I will be buying the album, so anyone thinking of cursing me cause I am listening to a copy I didn't pay for can preemptively shut it. :biggrin:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #561 on: March 09, 2013, 04:29:40 AM »
Ted's voice works great on the album. I honestly thought I would have to get used to hearing a different singer in the band, but no, he fits so naturally.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #562 on: March 09, 2013, 09:50:55 AM »
Just listened to The Edge of the In-Between for the first time in a long time. That is amazing, best Spock's Beard song.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #563 on: March 09, 2013, 10:03:37 AM »
Ted's voice works great on the album. I honestly thought I would have to get used to hearing a different singer in the band, but no, he fits so naturally.
This.

Ted's the star of the album, IMO. He does a great job. I guess it helps that I was never a big fan of either Neal or Nick's vocals.  I never had any complaints about either but rarely was I... excitedly impressed by either.

As for the album, I really like it. I liked X better after a similar amount of listens and I continue to like it more, but I still think this is a really good album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #564 on: March 11, 2013, 08:29:52 AM »
I really love this album and it's taking a lot of effort to not over-play it.  I wasn't sure how Ted's voice was going to sound, but I think he did a fine job.  I don't know if he'll surpass NDV as my favorite SB vocalist or not, but time will tell.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #565 on: March 13, 2013, 03:25:21 PM »
I really love this album and it's taking a lot of effort to not over-play it.  I wasn't sure how Ted's voice was going to sound, but I think he did a fine job.  I don't know if he'll surpass NDV as my favorite SB vocalist or not, but time will tell.

THIS... I've been playing it at home on my iPod, in my car on CD-r (the main album/first disc), and at work on my computer. It's sooooo damn good and catchy and just stupendous - it's going to get SO over-played it's not even funny, but I do not care. It's as every bit strong as X was, and maybe not in all the same ways, but still strong. There's a lot of classic SB moments, and in some songs Alan Morse pulls out his best Steve Howe impression, giving some of the songs a very-Yes feel here and there.

I have to say, the songs on the main album that didn't stick out at first have begun to grow on me. "A Treasure Abandoned" is a great slow-tempo rocker with a big chorus - something SB is very good at. The opening and closing sections are some of the most majestic parts of the whole album and of recent Beard history! Again, Alan rips out some awesome guitar parts in this song.

"I Know Your Secret" still isn't wow'ing me as much as the other songs on the album, and in fact I could trade it with any of the first 3 tracks on the 2nd disc!

And speaking of the 2nd disc - "Down A Burning Road" is classic SB, and I'm saddened it wasn't included on the main album! It's really good, as is the whacky "Wish I Were Here" - the repeating line of "TV with Dave" makes me wonder... is Alan speaking about Dave Meros? If so, hilarious. another 'quirky' SB song, something that is missing on the main album ("Afterthoughts" not included).

The whole album (both discs) capture a lot of SB feelings and moments, both Neal and Nick era, so it covers a WIDE range of sounds and styles that are really the ESSENCE of Spock's Beard music. I'd almost go to say that this is going to be one of THE best SB albums, and at least ranks in my TOP half of SB albums. It already surpasses Day For Night, Feel Euphoria and Spock's Beard. It may even top Octane, The Kindness Of Strangers and The Light, but is definitely on par with the likes of V, Beware Of Darkness and X.

I cannot wait to run my Spock's Beard Survivor again just to see how every feels about this album in a few months!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #566 on: March 13, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
I cannot wait to run my Spock's Beard Survivor again
Because the previous one was such as success?  :biggrin:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #567 on: March 13, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
Marc, I agree with you on everything you said there :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #568 on: March 13, 2013, 07:03:53 PM »
I cannot wait to run my Spock's Beard Survivor again
Because the previous one was such as success?  :biggrin:

Oooh ho ho... I see what you did there.

I'm hoping that this new album will draw fans, old and new, here, to my Survivor when I start it! If I get at LEAST 5 regular voters, I'll be a happy man.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #569 on: March 13, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »
Well, you know, I'll be there.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mladen

« Reply #570 on: March 14, 2013, 04:27:31 AM »
Me too, obviously, but I'm hoping for a few more voters this time around.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #571 on: March 15, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »
Alrighty folks...here's my first ranking of the main album's tracks:

Waiting For Me
Something Very Strange
Afterthoughts
A Treasure Abandoned
Submerged
Hiding Out
I Know Your Secret

And with the 4 bonus tracks included...

Waiting For Me
Something Very Strange
Afterthoughts
A Treasure Abandoned
Down A Burning Road
Submerged
The Man You're Afraid You Are
Hiding Out
Wish I Were Here
I Know Your Secret
Postcards From Perdition

Solid album, all across. The instrumental, however, is not as great as previous instrumentals - it's equal to "NWC", but not as great as "Skeletons At The Feast" or "Kamikaze".

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #572 on: March 16, 2013, 04:54:51 AM »
Let me try it:

A Treasure abandoned
Afterthoughts
Submerged
Something very strange
Waiting for me
Hiding out
I know your secret

The first four are great, the other three are damn good. What an album.  :hefdaddy

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #573 on: March 16, 2013, 04:59:02 AM »
Let me try it:

A Treasure abandoned
Afterthoughts
Submerged
Something very strange
Waiting for me
Hiding out
I know your secret

The first four are great, the other three are damn good. What an album.  :hefdaddy

I'm glad our lists are slightly different, although we seem to enjoy "Afterthoughts", "Submerged" and "Something Very Strange" about the same. I'll have to say, "A Treasure Abandoned" has REALLY grown on me as I've listened to this album nearly non-stop since last week. It might climb past "Afterthoughts" into my Top 3 of the album, but I just really enjoy the whole "Thoughts" series, and it's a worthy successor to the first two parts by SB.

Interesting, also, to see that we both place "I Know Your Secret" at the bottom - it's good, but still not as great as the other six songs.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #574 on: March 16, 2013, 05:11:30 AM »
And another observation I have made about the new album - other than Snow, it is the only other SB album (other than Beware Of Darkness) to not have a song with movements/a suite of songs, that is, there's not multi-part epic or song with Roman Numeral'd movements within it.

Interestingly enough, it's also similar to BOD and TKOS in that they're 7-song albums that last under an hour. That seems to be a good formula for SB! :tup]

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #575 on: March 16, 2013, 06:44:29 AM »
A Treasure abandoned stood out as a Spock's beard classic immediately. It has been my favorite on the album from the start, we have yet to see if that might change at some point.

As for the three I ranked behind them, I like them almost the same, each one is very amusing in its own way, they're quite different songs. Afterthoughts is a worthy successor to the Thoughts tracks indeed, Something very strange is filled with prog rock goodness and craziness, and Submerged is a very much needed breather and a brief tune. It has such a catchy chorus, I wish I could sing along but Ted's voice is so damn high.  :lol

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #576 on: March 16, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »
1. Something Very Strange
2. A Treasure Abandoned
3. Afterthoughts
4. Submerged
5. Waiting For Me
6. Hiding Out
7. I Know Your Secret

Submerged was closer to the top at first but the other tracks, especially Afterthoughts, are really growing on me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #577 on: March 16, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »
The first two songs are growing on me, while Afterthoughts definitely stands out to me as the weakest link.  The multi-part harmony sections are nearly cringe-worthy this time around.  Having no or little musical accompaniment doesn't help their cause.  They should have left that off the regular CD and put Down a Burning Road on instead.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #578 on: March 16, 2013, 03:51:25 PM »
2. A Treasure Abandoned
3. Afterthoughts
4. Submerged
5. Waiting For Me
6. Hiding Out
7. I Know Your Secret

Submerged was closer to the top at first but the other tracks, especially Afterthoughts, are really growing on me.

Once again, here's another list with "Hiding Out" and "I Know Your Secret" at the bottom... I guess you can say the album gets better after the first two tracks - not sure if that's a GOOD thing or not, but I really do like the opener. It's a great successor in a long-line of perfect SB opening tracks!

-Marc.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #579 on: March 16, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »
I like every song on the main album. Except Waiting For Me. I don't know what it is, I just can't get into it. Still need to listen to the bonus tracks. As an album, it's the strongest I've heard by Spock's Beard, though nothing on it touches the best parts of X.

I bought a used copy of Snow yesterday, though, so let's see if that changes.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #580 on: March 16, 2013, 04:00:29 PM »
Waiting for Me is good, but I wouldn't call it a great song.  I can only imagine how epic the solo in the middle would have been in the hands of a true guitar master.  Not that Alan Morse's solo is bad..far from it...but considering the build-up to it and the supporting music, it just isn't as awesome as it could have been. 

To me, A Treasure Abandoned and Something Very Strange are the standout songs on the main album.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #581 on: March 16, 2013, 04:07:30 PM »
2. A Treasure Abandoned
3. Afterthoughts
4. Submerged
5. Waiting For Me
6. Hiding Out
7. I Know Your Secret

Once again, here's another list with "Hiding Out" and "I Know Your Secret" at the bottom... I guess you can say the album gets better after the first two tracks - not sure if that's a GOOD thing or not, but I really do like the opener. It's a great successor in a long-line of perfect SB opening tracks!

-Marc.
Despite placing them on the bottom of my list I do like first two songs. It took me a few listens to get into I Know Your Secret, but I loved Hiding Out from the start and I think it's a great opener.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #582 on: March 16, 2013, 08:42:58 PM »
I'm actually quite liking the Sanctified Remix version of Something Very Strange more than the original. This is awesome.  :hat

EDIT: Postcards From Perdition is a pretty sweet closer too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:49:24 PM by Nel »
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #583 on: March 17, 2013, 05:03:44 AM »
I'm still having some trouble with Waiting for me. I like it, but it's way too ordinary - it just screams ''a typical Neal Morse song'' that sounds like a whole bunch of other Spock's beard or Transatlantic songs. It actually reminds me of Infinite fire in so many ways. They closed the previous album with Jaws of heaven, which was one of their most original songs as far as I'm concerned. This one sounds like I've heard it a dozen times already, which I wouldn't mind if it were an improvement or really damn good.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #584 on: March 17, 2013, 05:31:00 AM »
After a good dozen spins the only track I haven't really warmed to is the instrumental, which has a little bit of a phoned in feel.  Too early to rank the rest of the tracks just yet.   I think Something Very Strange stands out quite a bit.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #585 on: March 17, 2013, 08:54:24 AM »
Did anyone get their CD yet or get confirmation that they were being shipped out? I remember getting the initial email but I haven't heard anything since and it's been a few weeks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #586 on: March 17, 2013, 09:47:44 AM »
I'm actually quite liking the Sanctified Remix version of Something Very Strange more than the original. This is awesome.  :hat

I might agree with this.  Maybe it's because the remix doesn't have that Good Don't Last-like melody (which makes it sound a bit derivative of themselves), or maybe it's cause it sounds more compacted and cohesive, but I am finding myself listening to the remix more.  :hat

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #587 on: March 19, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »
https://getreadytorock.me.uk/blog/2013/03/interview-10qs-with-dave-meros-spocks-beard/

Fans of "A Treasure Abandoned" will enjoy knowing the following:
It started with a theme that Al had written many years ago. . .late 90s  (I remember playing bass on an early version of that back in maybe ’97 or ’98). . ..and John filled in the rest.  I love the way this one turned out, it’s one of my favorites on the CD

That a MORE on the new album and it's songs in the interview linked above!! No wonder ATA has that classic-Beard sound! It stems all the way back from the TKOS-era! LOVE IT! :tup

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #588 on: March 19, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »
Well, that's why it's so awesome.  ;D Great interview as well, it's a shame they're having all these problems with the new album, hopefully Dave will get some rest once they hit the road. I'll give my best to catch them, I'm still figuring it out.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #589 on: March 20, 2013, 03:47:28 PM »
In about TWO WEEKS, I will once again begin my Annual Spock's Beard Survivor! 2013 Edition! This will be a WHOLE Survivor, covering songs from ALL 11 studio albums, as well as some B-sides. And for Special Editions, bonus tracks will be included in that album's survivor (Which really only applies to FE, Octane, X and BNADS).

A proper Results & Discussion Thread will be happening shortly...

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #590 on: March 22, 2013, 04:24:58 PM »
https://www.rocking.gr/interviews/en/Spock%5C%5Cs_Beard_interview/15685/

Another great interview, this time with Alan and Ted.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #591 on: March 23, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
I'm still having some trouble with Waiting for me. I like it, but it's way too ordinary - it just screams ''a typical Neal Morse song'' that sounds like a whole bunch of other Spock's beard or Transatlantic songs.

My problem with Waiting For Me is that it's essentially a Day For Night ripoff.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #592 on: March 23, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »
I'm still having some trouble with Waiting for me. I like it, but it's way too ordinary - it just screams ''a typical Neal Morse song'' that sounds like a whole bunch of other Spock's beard or Transatlantic songs.

My problem with Waiting For Me is that it's essentially a Day For Night ripoff.

Maybe I'm just a slave to anything with Neal's name on it (if prog-related), but I am *loving* "Waiting For Me". Sure, it's a BIT derivative of older SB songs, but what did you expect with the writing team of The Morse Brothers? Al and Neal have a unique chemistry between them, and it's clearly evident that with BOTH involved in "Waiting For Me" and "Afterthoughts" that they really do exemplify the classic SB sound.

"Waiting For Me" is the perfect closer to the main album, and definitely along the vein of songs like "The Light", "At The End Of The Day", "Day For Night", "Walking On The Wind", "The Doorway", "Harm's Way"...okay, so pretty much every songs over 10-minutes from the Neal-Era of SB.

For me, it's an instant classic, and a favorite.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #593 on: March 24, 2013, 12:14:27 AM »
It might be in the same vein of those songs, but it ain't in the same league as most of them, IMO.  Good song, yes, but great?  Nah.  I can't go that far.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: March 24, 2013, 02:59:50 AM »
Loving every second of it except for I Know Your Secret :/
couldn't rank them yet....