Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 148576 times)

Offline 7thHanyou

Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #385 on: May 23, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »
Why do people rate Day for Night so low? I think it's great...

The Gypsy doesn't seem to go anywhere.  As shorter songs go, Can't Get it Wrong and Distance to the Sun are comparatively emotionless when stacked up to other similar SB songs (Distace to the Sun really makes me want to listen to June, Goodbye to Yesterday, and Solitary Soul).  Skin is a decent pop song, but The Kindness of Strangers outdid it twice over with Cakewalk on Easy Street and Strange World.  Gibberish is okay, but Thoughts and Thoughts pt. 2 are more entertaining Gentle Giant-type songs.  I consider it the prototype for Thoughts pt. 2.

In short, most of these songs just remind me of better Spock's Beard songs.  If Day for Night had been my first SB album, I still don't think I'd be too excited about any of them.  Especially Can't Get it Wrong, which is just a mess.

The Healing Colors of Sound is another SB epic that took a looooong time to grow on me.  I finally "got it" when listening to Lay it Down and The Healing Colors of Sound, pt. 2 in isolation.  Lay it Down is beautiful and The Healing Colors of Sound is a melodic wonder that reminds me of older rock classics.  I like it, but as the "big" epic, it's lacking something.  Maybe it's too eclectic.  Maybe the different parts are too abrupt--they seem to run into each other.  Not sure what it is, but it's still good.

I listen to Day for Night for the title track, Crack the Big Sky (not only my favorite on the album, but one of my favorite SB songs ever), and The Healing Colors of Sound.  Sometimes I listen to The Gypsy, but it's mediocre so I usually skip it.  That's more than half the album I listen to, but I still skip way too many songs to recommend it.

I love it as well.

I was just listening to The Kindness of Strangers earlier and it gets better after every listen. June and The Good Don't Last are 2 of my favorite songs by them.

I always thought it'd be a good starting point for SB.  It showcases their melodic side--sometimes I listen to the album when I'm specifically NOT in the mood for prog (the same is true of Snow, for obvious reasons).  It's one of the reason I like it.  That's not to say it doesn't have some great prog, but melody is so prominent that it doesn't always sound like it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #386 on: May 24, 2012, 02:45:35 AM »
My problem with Day for night is that The Healing colors of sound does nothing for me. It's a shame when the epic on the album is actually the album's weakness. I'm also not too crazy about The Gypsy and Can't get it wrong. The first five songs on the album, however, are classic Spock's beard and just a lot of fun - especially Gibberish and Skin.

I had to think about which one I'd rank higher - Beware of darkness or The Kindness of strangers. I decided to go with the latter. Flow is one of their best songs, The Good don't last has a few incredible ideas, and some of the shorter tracks like Cakewalk and In the mouth of madness are very cool. I still don't get June, though, it's just an average ballad to me, and hearing it live didn't help either...

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #387 on: May 24, 2012, 12:59:46 PM »
I still don't get June, though, it's just an average ballad to me, and hearing it live didn't help either...

Does not compute

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #388 on: May 24, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
I was gonna make a post comparing BOD and TKOS, but I found it hard to come up with proper matches for the shorter tunes. All I had was the following 3:
"The Doorway" VS "Harm's Way"
"Walking On The Wind" VS "The Good Don't Last"
"Time Has Come" VS "Flow"

And in that case,  I'd have to give all 3 matches to the BOD tracks. I really do enjoy HW and TGDL, but the other tracks are just slightly better, and in the case of the third match up, it's almost a tie, but I gave the edge to THC.

As for the 4 shorter tracks on each album, I'd say "Thoughts" and "Waste Away" are both better than 3/4ths of the TKOS shorter tracks, with "June" being the one out. I'd take "June" over "Waste Away", and I'd say it's just as good as "Thoughts".

I do agree that opening their sophomore effort with a cover is strange, but I had no idea it was a George Harrison song until a year or two after owning the album (despite it being noted in the liner notes). It's such a good cover, though, and they really take the song in a new direction with the added bits.

To me, the shorter tracks on BOD have more individuality and character than the ones of TKOS. The epics really stand out to me, but the shorter tracks are a bit same-y, although I will give props to their choruses, as they're pretty good. "Cakewalk" and "Strange World" are great pop-prog tunes with hooky choruses, and "Madness" is just crazy!

On BOD, though, I do enjoy how different each of the 4 shorter tracks are - you have a unique cover, the crazy Gentle-Giant-inspired piece, the acoustic guitar solo effort (in the vein of Steve Howe), and a solid rock tune.

I don't know...maybe I'm just over-analyzing things. Both albums are great collections of 7 great songs, and they're BOTH steps up from their debut (which was already amazing as it was!), so both albums pretty much win.

DFN, on the other hand, is a different story. They brought in another side-long epic (which hadn't been done since their first album), and it's good, but it doesn't feel as smooth as "The Water". I think if it had been released as ONE track, rather than indexed into 7, it may have been better received AS an epic, and not viewed as a suite of 6 songs, 2 of which are just repeats/reprises of earlier songs, so really, there's only 4 unique ideas/songs in the epic!
As for the other tracks on DFN, "The Gypsy" and "Crack The Big Sky" stand out to me, as does the title track, but the four shorter songs (again with the four shorter songs!) are a bit hit-or-miss for me. It's almost as if Neal/SB were getting better at the epics but just phoning in the shorter pieces to fill out the album. "Skin" is alright, and "Gibberish" brings back more of that GG-feel, but the other two are just OK in my ears.

I think they found the perfect balance on V, crafting 2 wonderful epics, and 4 well-thought-out shorter songs (again, four!). V is one of their best albums, and probably the one I would recommend to new fans the most. There's pop, prog, rock, epics, ballads, everything! And, for me, each track is familiar after many listens. I don't go "How'd that song go again?" because each one has character and stands out among it's fellow album-mates.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #389 on: May 24, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »
I always think of Healing Colors of Sound as more a suite than an epic. Not just because it's tracked that way, but also because it feels like "here's a song, here's a song, here's a song". :P

By the way, I love Neal's goofy food references. Gravy, Pizza Pockets, Mello Yello, Mustard... and so forth.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #390 on: May 25, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »
He drinks his milk with Tabasco.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #391 on: May 25, 2012, 06:50:11 PM »
Yes. Yes he does. :coolio
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #392 on: June 13, 2012, 05:57:12 PM »
Speaking of Spock's Beard, I'm really excited about the upcoming album.  I bought a couple of Enchant albums, and really like Ted's vocals.  Enchant is a little harder to really get into, I'm not sure the song writing is as strong as with SB.... So pretty much high expectations for SB + Ted Leonard, an automatic buy (as would any SB album, but especially this one!).  I'm probably in the minority, but I wasn't a big fan of Nick's vocals...  and that plays into my excitement of a change.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #393 on: June 13, 2012, 06:46:50 PM »
I really liked Nick's vocals. Ted's talented, but I'm not really a fan of his voice. I'll give him a chance, though.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #394 on: July 03, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »
Any updates for SB11? Like album title or whatnot?

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #395 on: July 03, 2012, 03:16:13 PM »
Update from today (via their Facebook page) - they are preparing for their gig in Germany:

Day#3 of Spock's rehearsals begin in just a few hours. No video .. (yet). However, I've done a little asking on and, let's see if everyone's wishes can come true (hopefully). No promises. Although, I can tell you this: Rehearsals are going extremely well! Ted is just as amazing as ever. No! He's even more amazing and, the perfect fit for The Beard in every way! As for Jimmy .. (well) .. If you don't know Mr. Keegan by now, all I can say is look out!! NO one else could have been so .. (well) .. Perfect, as well! So, stay tuned, stay SpROCKed and, Alan, Dave, Ryo, Ted and Jimmy SO look forward to seeing all of you who will be at the "Night of the Prog" Festival in Sankt Goarshausen, Germany this coming Saturday (07•07). That's it for now. Have a great day! Cheers, ~Sonya ♬

https://www.facebook.com/spocksbeard/posts/10150986927033168?notif_t=feed_comment_reply

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #396 on: July 06, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »
Not a much of a fan of Snow myself, but this might interest anyone in the New England area on VERY short notice.

https://www.genesystheater.com/

Genesys Theater is dedicated to producing extraordinary theatrical productions with an edge. Our musicals push the envelope in terms of content, themes, and are definitely not the norm. You won't see anything else like this in the area.

Contact us at rick@genesystheater.com or info@genesystheater.com

Tickets are now on sale for SNOW: the modern opera. Go to https://www.vendini.com/ticket-software.html?e=52c8b35f2de18edf5d01a1450d03bc9b&t=tix to reserve your tickets!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #397 on: July 07, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »
Gotta say, I was actually tempted since I like the album quite a bit. But, Nashua NH is an hour drive away for me,  and driving that long for essentially a giant allusion to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ with the good stuff (the music) most likely just being played over the speakers between scenes, I have to skip.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #398 on: July 07, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »
Damn.  I'm 30 minutes away from Nashua.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #399 on: July 09, 2012, 06:00:59 AM »
From their website:

"Look for a new live Spock’s Beard DVD and extensive European tour in early 2012, followed by our 11th studio release sometime in the summer!"

Hey guys, sorry to tell you this, but one festival in German does not an "extensive European tour" make. Ho hum. >:(
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #400 on: July 09, 2012, 08:45:31 AM »
Give them a break, it's gonna happen at some point.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #401 on: July 09, 2012, 09:09:47 AM »
Saturday at Night of the Prog they played two new songs, titled 'Submerged' and 'Something Very Strange', very good stuff!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #402 on: July 09, 2012, 09:23:37 AM »
Saturday at Night of the Prog they played two new songs, titled 'Submerged' and 'Something Very Strange', very good stuff!

Awesome! :tup "Something Very Strange" was heard in the preview clip they posted from in-the-studio way back in February or March, when they were writing/recording the new album! Can't wait for it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #403 on: July 12, 2012, 07:05:59 AM »
Isn't "Submerged" part of "The Great Nothing"?
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #404 on: July 12, 2012, 07:12:09 AM »
Yes, it is, but Ted explicitly said it was a new song they played as a special thing for the show. He said they would do two and also said the song was called Submerged, but now you made me think, I might have heard it wrong.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #405 on: July 12, 2012, 07:52:37 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTWfaEX5G8A - Submerged

Aceee, it was my favourite clip from the teaser and it's great!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #406 on: July 12, 2012, 07:57:44 AM »
That's where I was! :)
Holy shit, the guy that filmed that must have been almost right in front of me, that looks so much as where I stood.

Also, The setlist from that show
Squ

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #407 on: July 12, 2012, 10:27:08 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTWfaEX5G8A - Submerged

Aceee, it was my favourite clip from the teaser and it's great!

That sounds pretty awesome! Although I am saddened that Ted says the new album won't come out until early NEXT year. I was hoping it would be out before the end of the year. A shame...oh well. At least I'll have new Marillion and Neal Morse this fall to tide me over until the New Year!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #408 on: July 12, 2012, 12:00:46 PM »
WHAT? Why is the release date being pushed back to 2013? I thought they said it would be out in the fall. Oh well, yea, at least there will be a new Neal Morse in September (maybe that's why it was pushed back?).

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #409 on: July 12, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »
Submerged sounds great. I think I read somewhere that it was originally a Ted Leonard solo song.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: July 12, 2012, 12:22:37 PM »
WHAT? Why is the release date being pushed back to 2013? I thought they said it would be out in the fall. Oh well, yea, at least there will be a new Neal Morse in September (maybe that's why it was pushed back?).

The new Neal Morse album could be a factor.  It's a crowded market, and less and less people are buying albums these days.  You need a good, solid 6 months of pre-release promotion to get the word out and build, um, Momentum  :P

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #411 on: July 12, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »
I can't believe they played a show and sang it all in German, that's whack man... :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #412 on: October 27, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »
An update from Dave Meros on the SB message boards:
As far as I know the CD will be offered two ways:  as a regular edition containing a single CD and also as a Special Edition with a second CD containing bonus tracks. 

When we finally get around to offering our preorder Limited Edition on spocksbeard.com, we will be offering the two CD version with an extra bonus track that won't be on the worldwide label release Special Edition.  In other words, if you order from us directly once our preorder goes live you'll get the CD a month earlier than everybody else in the world AND you'll get an extra track as well.   There will also be a few extra pages in the booklet of our Limited Edition, and those pages will be explained once our preorder gets posted to our website. 

Right now we're looking at the end of January for our preordered Limited Editions to be shipped, and the end of February for the label release. 

We are also beginning to organize a Europe tour in April.

To answer your songwriting question, yes, Neal co-wrote two songs with Al.   

End of January for a shipment... soooo Pre-orders in the next two weeks?! Please?!

A 2-CD set?! SWEET! Will this be like Octane, with the main album being about 50-55 minutes long, or will it be another full-fledged 80-minute full album, and THEN a bonus disc with more music?!

I cannot wait to see what the track list/track-times will be for this album! Hoping more info comes our way in the coming days/weeks!!!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #413 on: October 31, 2012, 01:37:15 PM »
So I was looking at iPod two nights ago, going through my album playlists for Spock's Beard and noticed all the studio albums had at least 100 full plays except two - The Light and Feel Euphoria, so in an effort to get reacquainted with the debut album, I've been listening to it a lot lately, as well as their first live album The Beard Is Out There (which features all four tracks from their debut).

It's amazing how well formulated the music is on their debut, thanks to Neal (and Al), but it's such a STRONG debut, too. I was pleasantly surprised how fresh the music still is to my ears and I am glad to be listening to it again.

-Marc.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: October 31, 2012, 01:56:30 PM »
The only downside to "The Light" is it kinda sounds like a home demo production-wise.  But yeah, the music is definitely stellar

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #415 on: October 31, 2012, 02:03:06 PM »
The only downside to "The Light" is it kinda sounds like a home demo production-wise.  But yeah, the music is definitely stellar

It doesn't sound THAT bad to my ears... do you have the reissue from InsideOut (with the cardboard slip-case)? I wonder if anything was done to remaster that version compared to the original releases. When I first got into SB, the first three albums had been repackaged/reissued by InsideOut, so those are the only ones I've ever had. DFN/V/Snow hadn't been repackaged with bonus tracks/demos/edits quite yet, so I owned the originals of those until the reissues came out (then I gave the originals to my girlfriend).

-Marc.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #416 on: October 31, 2012, 02:03:24 PM »
I just heard the song "The Light" during my roulette and it was epic.
I love beautiful things.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #417 on: October 31, 2012, 10:57:28 PM »
The Light is one of their best songs, and Go the Way You Go is also really good. The other two tracks on the album have their moments but are weaker overall. The band was still kind of finding their way.

I feel that The Kindness of Strangers is the album where the SB sound really clicked.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline r0cken

« Reply #418 on: November 01, 2012, 12:49:06 AM »
The Morse part of Spocks discography is spotless, in my opinion. Not a weak moment. Favorite epic is "The Great Nothing", it blows me away every time. Morse is the ultimate epic-master, really.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #419 on: November 01, 2012, 02:06:51 AM »
I just heard the song "The Light" during my roulette and it was epic.

Yes, yes it is! :tup
Squ