Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 148460 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #350 on: May 13, 2012, 09:52:30 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzedpxWxb4I&feature=share

Preview of SB11!

-Marc.

Sounds good. I just might get this when it comes out.

Is there an official release date?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #351 on: May 13, 2012, 09:54:18 AM »

Preview of SB11!

-Marc.

Sounds good. I just might get this when it comes out.

Is there an official release date?

Not yet, tentatively Fall of this year, but it could be Fall or Winter, so we'll see. It'd be exciting if they had this out in September, so we'd have new Neal Morse AND new SB in the same month!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #352 on: May 13, 2012, 09:59:14 AM »
The second snippet is a cover version of Ted Leonard's "Submerged" from "Way Home"!
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #353 on: May 13, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
The second snippet is a cover version of Ted Leonard's "Submerged" from "Way Home"!

Really? That's more of a re-hash then a cover then, I hope that isn't a sign of lack of creativity on SB's part...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #354 on: May 13, 2012, 10:23:43 AM »

Really? That's more of a re-hash then a cover then, I hope that isn't a sign of lack of creativity on SB's part...

Well considering both Stan and John have probably written with the band again, and Al wrote stuff with Neal, I think we can expect a very mixed-bag on this album, at least in terms of who-wrote-what. We'll have music from up to 7 different people, so it'll be interesting to hear how the whole album comes together with so many writers involved.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #355 on: May 13, 2012, 11:39:40 AM »
Some of these snippets sound very promising, there are obviously some beautiful prog melodies on the way. I'm really looking forward to hearing all of it.  :smiley:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #356 on: May 13, 2012, 12:50:29 PM »

Preview of SB11!

-Marc.

Man. I would love SB to be big again. But there was nothing in those 8 minutes that even remotely piqued my interest.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #357 on: May 13, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
I'm waiting until I have it in my hand to listen to it, whenever that may be.

It's a shame they can't seem to find promoters who want to book them, however.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #358 on: May 13, 2012, 06:44:07 PM »
The samples were OK. The 1st one sounded really good and the rest were average. I'm still looking forward to the new album but I hope its better than the samples.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #359 on: May 13, 2012, 06:47:59 PM »
The part with the vocals at the end of the last sample is nice.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #360 on: May 13, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
Lack of creativity?  Well, considering they have heavily used outside writers since Neal left the band, I think it goes without saying that the band knows that they can't do it all by themselves without Neal, and it will likely be even worse without NDV. 

Listening to that clip, no thanks.  It doesn't even sound like the same band.  Oof. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #361 on: May 13, 2012, 10:58:33 PM »
So considering the Genesis similarities, will this be Calling All Stations 2?  :\
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #362 on: May 13, 2012, 11:03:52 PM »
No, Nick D'Virgilio was on Calling All Stations. :biggrin:
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #363 on: May 14, 2012, 12:46:44 PM »
It doesn't even sound like the same band.  Oof.

I disagree, I clearly hear Ryo's keyboard contributions that have been pretty consistent since Neal left, and Al's solo in the final clip just sounds epic, like usual. And his tones and effects are all there. It also helps that Rich is still mixing their albums. And while Jimmy isn't EXACTLY Nick, his style is very similar, and having covered Nick's drum parts for nearly a decade, he's got the sound and style down, so his drumming is very similar.

Ted's voice, for me, is somewhere between Nick's and Neal's, and I cannot wait to hear him cover a wide variety of SB tunes, from BOTH the Nick and Neal eras.

-Marc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: May 14, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »
Well, nothing that blows my mind in there but I still think some of the stuff is interesting. I'm interested in hearing the rest
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #365 on: May 14, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »
The only thing that concerns me here (as I suspected it would) is the lead vocals.  Hopefully they'll grow on me.  The instrumentation sounds great. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #366 on: May 14, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
I disagree, I clearly hear Ryo's keyboard contributions that have been pretty consistent since Neal left, and Al's solo in the final clip just sounds epic, like usual. And his tones and effects are all there.
This. What made me fall in love with Spock's beard in the first place is still going to be present on the new album, at least judging by that clip.

Offline Bongasti

« Reply #367 on: May 14, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
The only thing that concerns me here (as I suspected it would) is the lead vocals.  Hopefully they'll grow on me.  The instrumentation sounds great.
This pretty much. I already miss Nick's vocals.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #368 on: May 14, 2012, 08:08:13 PM »
I thought musically the samples sounded like they could have come from the "X" album.  I mean that in a good way, not in a non-original way.  The samples definately made me more interested in the new album. 

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #369 on: May 14, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »
I really like the vocals. D'Virgilio fit in well with the band but I think Leonard will do a good job. I doubt he'll be as good as Morse though.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #370 on: May 17, 2012, 11:38:18 AM »

I'm sure I'll dig it, but I'm with you there Barry.  Ted Leonard is just kinda 'meh' for me.  Music was ok, but I wasn't  :o or anything.  Didn't expect to with just tidbits here and there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline darkshade

« Reply #371 on: May 23, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »
So I got Beware of Darkness last week and listened to it at least 4-5 times by now.

A lot of people said this is one of their best albums, and while I think it's good, and maybe I haven't had the record for long enough; I don't think it's as good as The Light, TKOS, or V; and definitely not as good as most of Neal's solo albums. Hell, I think X is even better than BOD.

But

It's still a great record. The closing epic doesn't seem as grand as other SB/Neal epics. But The Doorway is one of the best Neal/SB songs Ive ever heard. I like the rest of the album, but nothing really grabbed me like other albums.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #372 on: May 23, 2012, 09:09:45 AM »
I'M JUST AN OLD MAN NOW, I EAT YOUR TRASH!!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #373 on: May 23, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »
So I got Beware of Darkness last week and listened to it at least 4-5 times by now.

A lot of people said this is one of their best albums, and while I think it's good, and maybe I haven't had the record for long enough; I don't think it's as good as The Light, TKOS, or V; and definitely not as good as most of Neal's solo albums. Hell, I think X is even better than BOD.

But

It's still a great record. The closing epic doesn't seem as grand as other SB/Neal epics. But The Doorway is one of the best Neal/SB songs Ive ever heard. I like the rest of the album, but nothing really grabbed me like other albums.
I agree with everything you said here. Its still a very good album and I love Thoughts and The Doorway but its not one of my favorite SB albums.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #374 on: May 23, 2012, 03:43:06 PM »
Thoughts is my personal favorite on that album, it just rules.  :hefdaddy

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #375 on: May 23, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »
BOD is one of my favorites - the longer songs just scream classic SB/Neal, and the shorter songs are more memorable. I used to rank TKOS over it, but having had BOD for a few years, I've grown to like it more than TKOS. It's also my girlfriend's favorite SB album! :tup

-Marc.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #376 on: May 23, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »
Walking on the Wind is a classic.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #377 on: May 23, 2012, 07:12:53 PM »
BOD is alright. Nothing jumps out and grabs me except Thoughts, which is an awesome song.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #378 on: May 23, 2012, 07:46:45 PM »
BoD is the "worst" of the Neal albums for me, with the exception of Day for Night.  Both albums are good, but they're also uneven.  Of the Nick albums, I'd take Octane (maybe) and X (definitely) after Beware of Darkness.

I do like the album's sound--it's very similar to The Light sonically, which gives it a sort of nostalgic tone.

The title track is nothing special, and it doesn't help that it's a cover.  Why did they do that?  It just seems an awkward way to start off your sophomore effort. 

Thoughts is fantastic, but not as good as Thoughts pt. 2 would end up being. 

The Doorway is a classic, easily one of the best albums ever penned by the band.  It's actually the song that got me into them, and the reason that Beware of Darkness (along with V) was my first SB album.

Chataqua is wonderful.

Walking on the Wind is a great song, and this is what I mean when I say that Beware of Darkness carries a similar tone to "The Light."  This song sounds like it could have fit just as well on that album.  I enjoy it, but it's still only a mid-level song for the Neal era.

Waste Away has a decent melody, but it also has some of the most painfully awkward lyrics I've ever heard from Spock's Beard (that's saying something).  Awful lyrics ruin what could have been a good shorter song.

I can't point out anything wrong with Time Has Come, but I've always felt it lacks the immediacy of some of Neal's epics.  It almost feels like they were dialing it in after, once again, similar-sounding songs on The Light.  That said, it has some beautiful moments and does a good job capturing the quirkiness of the band, so it is a very good song.  It has genuinely made me laugh on more than one occasion, at all the right parts.  After about 10 listens, I was able to fully enjoy it.

Beware of Darkness is good, but two tracks are throwaways and the others, while good, simply aren't as exceptional as a lot of the other stuff in the band's catalog.  V is my favorite Spock's Beard album because it is the most consistent; BoD's inconsistency makes the listening experience just a little less pleasant than it could be.  That said, it's still very, very good.

I actually think it's The Kindness of Strangers which ends up a bit underrated.  The albums you hear the most about (understandably) are The Light, V, and Snow, but The Kindness of Strangers seems to be the one where their sound really became comfortable.  I also think it captures the full range of Neal-era SB's sound.  Also, June is one of my favorite ballads.  Ever.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #379 on: May 23, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
The Kindness of Strangers is my favorite Spock's Beard album. It's so good all the way through, with a lot of really good ideas. Maybe the most fun SB album.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #380 on: May 23, 2012, 08:28:44 PM »
Why do people rate Day for Night so low? I think it's great...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #381 on: May 23, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »

I'm with ya.  I love that album.  Put it higher than most people here do.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #382 on: May 23, 2012, 08:53:21 PM »

I love it as well.

I was just listening to The Kindness of Strangers earlier and it gets better after every listen. June and The Good Don't Last are 2 of my favorite songs by them.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #383 on: May 23, 2012, 08:54:21 PM »
Day for Night is really good. It was my first SB album (at the time it was their most recent) and I didn't like it at first, but over time I began to appreciate it. The title track, Gibberish, The Distance to the Sun, My Shoes (Revisited)...that's some great stuff.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #384 on: May 23, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »

I love it as well.

I was just listening to The Kindness of Strangers earlier and it gets better after every listen. June and The Good Don't Last are 2 of my favorite songs by them.

I'm with you on that. I really like Harm's Way too, especially when it kicks in halfway through with that big keyboard riff in cut time.