Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 999062 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #1960 on: October 27, 2013, 02:40:28 AM »
I think the Enemy Inside is one of the worst songs DT have written.
I wouldn't put it that way, but I find the song pretty mediocre and unimaginative like, say, Panic Attack - metal DT by numbers.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1961 on: October 27, 2013, 03:12:59 AM »

I don't consider Illumination Theory an epic but an album closer in the vein of ITNOG. The ambient/orchestral section kills the song and doesn't go anywhere.

Agreed!

I always skip the ambient/orchestral section when i listen to this song, other than that the song is not bad!

Neither i, just because it's long don't make it epic.

Well said!

Offline Xersiz

« Reply #1962 on: October 27, 2013, 03:45:43 AM »

Although I really love the first albums,I think the last 3 albums are better than most of the discography(excluding I&W,Scenes and TOT)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1963 on: November 06, 2013, 02:20:13 PM »
I think Metropolis may be my least favorite song on I&W nowadays :dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1964 on: November 06, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »
I think Metropolis may be my least favorite song on I&W nowadays :dangerwillrobinson:
It's been my least favorite for years. Glad somebody finally agrees with me.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1965 on: November 06, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
Same here. :metal

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #1966 on: November 06, 2013, 05:27:23 PM »
Thanks to Shadow Ninja's top 50 list, I think Another Day is my favourite from I&W.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1967 on: November 06, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »
bwahahahahahaha

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #1968 on: November 06, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »
All your fault I've listened to that song 20 times today.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1969 on: November 07, 2013, 08:44:44 AM »
Ok. Given what's been said recently I've come to realise that the following is possibly a controversial opinion:

I prefer the album version of take away my pain to the demo. I like the guitar riff under the verse. I like the little bridges up to the chorus. I love the bass in the chorus. Feels nice and heavy yet open alongside the drums. I like the guitar solo. I like the bridge before it. I like (I think it was Kevin Shirleys) idea to have JP improvise all the way through the song and how they just fade that in now and again.

I detest the live version with the saxaphone. To me that is far FAR cheesier than the version that ended up on the album.

I just think the album incarnation is more focused and softer and reflects the lyrical contect better.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1970 on: November 07, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »
Ok. Given what's been said recently I've come to realise that the following is possibly a controversial opinion:

I prefer the album version of take away my pain to the demo. I like the guitar riff under the verse. I like the little bridges up to the chorus. I love the bass in the chorus. Feels nice and heavy yet open alongside the drums. I like the guitar solo. I like the bridge before it. I like (I think it was Kevin Shirleys) idea to have JP improvise all the way through the song and how they just fade that in now and again.

I detest the live version with the saxaphone. To me that is far FAR cheesier than the version that ended up on the album.

I just think the album incarnation is more focused and softer and reflects the lyrical contect better.

I don't disagree. Personally, the one thing I really wish they kept from the Demo version was the last verse. I thought it was beautiful.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1971 on: November 07, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »
"Least Favorite on I&W" still implies "pretty damn good" so do whatever you want with ranking that one :V
That aside, did anyone know that Burning My Soul isn't actually that terrible? Not that it's good, but it's not the worst abomination upon DT-kind that I remembered it being. YNM also isn't that terrible either.
TAMP *is* that terrible though, at least the album version  :D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1972 on: November 07, 2013, 07:39:38 PM »
"Least Favorite on I&W" still implies "pretty damn good" so do whatever you want with ranking that one :V
That aside, did anyone know that Burning My Soul isn't actually that terrible? Not that it's good, but it's not the worst abomination upon DT-kind that I remembered it being. YNM also isn't that terrible either.
TAMP *is* that terrible though, at least the album version  :D

I agree on all. I actually enjoy BMS as a bonehead metal breather on the album. It's like a slice of reheated, bad pizza. It's cheesy, and not great, but it's still pizza, so it's still tasty in its own way.
YNM and TAMP aren't bad, and I could listen to them if I had to (I don't know what scenario that would be :lol ), but they're not great either imo. They're very middle of the road in a way that doesn't even deserve hate.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #1973 on: November 07, 2013, 09:03:50 PM »
I think Dream Theater's worst song is still at least 'good'. Not controversial, but elaborating on the posts above me. So yeah, in the grand scheme of things, if you consider such and such song less awesome than others, 'less' awesome still makes it a certain degree of awesome.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1974 on: November 07, 2013, 09:09:37 PM »
I think Dream Theater's worst song is still at least 'good'. Not controversial, but elaborating on the posts above me. So yeah, in the grand scheme of things, if you consider such and such song less awesome than others, 'less' awesome still makes it a certain degree of awesome.

I don't agree with that, although I do think they only have a relatively very small number of songs I would call "bad". DT have a very high hit percentage of at least decent songs imo. But it always sounds a bit fanboy to me when people say something along the lines of bad for DT still being better than every other band, or anything to that effect.
YNM isn't "less awesome", it would still only be an average song if by any other band. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1975 on: November 07, 2013, 09:13:16 PM »
Relistening through their discography recently in preparation for my top 50, they have exactly four songs that make me sick to my stomach and I absolutely despise. Nothing else is really bad, though they have a lot of meh stuff too.

« Reply #1976 on: November 07, 2013, 09:43:58 PM »
But it always sounds a bit fanboy to me when people say something along the lines of bad for DT still being better than every other band, or anything to that effect.
Hey, I'll be the first to admitting being a big DT fanboy, but I don't think that's too strange for a forum dedicated to DT.
If I was given a choice to listen to my least favorite DT song or my absolute favorite song by most other bands, I'd pick the DT song. There's only a handful of bands out there, that might have a handful of songs that I'd choose over my least favorite of DT's catalogue.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1977 on: November 07, 2013, 09:51:05 PM »
But it always sounds a bit fanboy to me when people say something along the lines of bad for DT still being better than every other band, or anything to that effect.
Hey, I'll be the first to admitting being a big DT fanboy, but I don't think that's too strange for a forum dedicated to DT.
If I was given a choice to listen to my least favorite DT song or my absolute favorite song by most other bands, I'd pick the DT song. There's only a handful of bands out there, that might have a handful of songs that I'd choose over my least favorite of DT's catalogue.

Seriously?  Wow.  To each his own, but I can think of thousands of songs I'd rather listen to than Constant Motion or You Not Me.

« Reply #1978 on: November 07, 2013, 10:20:19 PM »
Seriously?  Wow.  To each his own, but I can think of thousands of songs I'd rather listen to than Constant Motion or You Not Me.

Well, it really depends on my mood, too. If I feel like listening to something generally heavy, I'm probably gonna choose Metallica or Nirvana (both bands who I don't care all that much for) over New Millennium, if I had to make that choice. But usually, if I feel like listening to something heavier, I may as well listen to DT's heavier songs like As I Am or TROAE or what have you.

Although usually, I'll be in the mood for a specific band or a specific sound. If I'm craving Megadeth, I'm not gonna listen to DT's songs that have Megadeth influences in them.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1979 on: November 07, 2013, 11:46:13 PM »

As much as I love DT, their stinkers are just as stinky as bad songs from any other band. While there are only literally a handful of DT songs I truly *hate* (as opposed to mere disinterest), there's absolutely no way I'd choose any of them over ANY songs by other bands, let alone my favourites by other bands. Hell, I'll take St Anger over WDADU any day! :lol

Not that I want to criticize being a huge fan of the band we're on a forum for by any means, because that's great, but they're not totally infallible.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #1980 on: November 08, 2013, 12:40:38 AM »
I can't be positive at this early juncture, but I think James' vocals on LALP might be better than on Score. They might even be his best since LIT/LATM.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1981 on: November 08, 2013, 06:07:45 AM »
Listened to DT12 today, and TEM ended up on the "skip list". Once JR's solo kicked in I got pulled out of my mental work zone and thought "wow, this is dreadful". Clicked skip.

Are you referring to Enigma Machine?   If so,  it's probably my least favorite song on the CD. I think it's reallly hard trying to be Erotomania and it just isn't the same. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1982 on: November 08, 2013, 06:19:06 AM »

You are sooooooo right.  I'd take the album version any day over the Kenny G version. 

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1983 on: November 08, 2013, 06:31:08 AM »
Listened to DT12 today, and TEM ended up on the "skip list". Once JR's solo kicked in I got pulled out of my mental work zone and thought "wow, this is dreadful". Clicked skip.

Are you referring to Enigma Machine?   If so,  it's probably my least favorite song on the CD. I think it's reallly hard trying to be Erotomania and it just isn't the same.
It's in the top 3 for me, along with BTV and IT. Love the drumming and Jordan's organ playing as well as all the solos and melodies.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1984 on: November 08, 2013, 07:02:48 AM »

Last weekend I was driving around listening to DT12 and Really tried to listen Enigma Machine.. But yeah,  I can't find anything positive to say about it. 
A Month ago I thought that it was their worst instrumental  but now i'm starting to think that it's propably their worst song. :D haha
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1985 on: November 08, 2013, 07:05:23 AM »
Yeah, by the time the trade-off section starts I'm forced to press skip.

« Reply #1986 on: November 08, 2013, 10:02:24 AM »

You're right. Enigma Machine is far superior to Erotomania. Erotomania has some cool moments, but it has a lot of annoying keyboard sounds and overall isn't that interesting. Controversial opinions, right?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1987 on: November 08, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »
TEM is the best song on DT12, I still stand by that statement.
On the other hand, the best of DT12 is not exactly great, since it's their worst album.

also don't be hating on erotomania  :tdwn

« Reply #1988 on: November 08, 2013, 12:08:51 PM »
TEM is the best song on DT12, I still stand by that statement.
On the other hand, the best of DT12 is not exactly great, since it's their worst album.

also don't be hating on erotomania  :tdwn

Well, don't be hating on DT12, then.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1989 on: November 08, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »
The Enigma Machine.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1990 on: November 08, 2013, 01:28:36 PM »

A bit no, a total fanboy :biggrin:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1991 on: November 08, 2013, 01:30:59 PM »
ToT is the last really good album (as a whole) they released.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

« Reply #1992 on: November 08, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1993 on: November 08, 2013, 02:00:33 PM »
The Enigma Machine.

Thank you.  I was going to point that out myself but waited until someone else caught on. 

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1994 on: November 08, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »
Take Away My Pain is in the top half of FII and Hollow Years (studio version) is in the bottom half.

After listening to it more and more DT12 has been getting more and more boring. Is it just me? I don't have the desire to listen to any of the songs except for Surrender to Reason and II. Live, Die, Kill anymore.  :-\