Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 122384 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #3290 on: May 09, 2024, 06:15:26 AM »
When you get a sausage, egg & cheese breakfast sandwich, and the sausage is only like half the diameter of the roll/bagel.

Or the egg is twice the size of that roll/bagel.  It's really an art to make a good breakfast sandwich.  We had a place here in town called "Dave's", two older Deadheads that liked to cook breakfast, and then one day, after his shift, Dave cooked himself his own breakfast, got up, got in his truck and drove west.  Left the plates where they were and everything.  Place has been closed since, though the cooks and staff have moved next door to a pizza restaurant that's trying to branch out (not working so far, IMO). 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3291 on: May 09, 2024, 10:20:29 AM »
When you get a sausage, egg & cheese breakfast sandwich, and the sausage is only like half the diameter of the roll/bagel.

That's been my complaint about fast food burgers since I first had one.  I used to (and sometimes still do) tear off the excess bun  That's why Wendy's became my favorite of the major chains.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3292 on: May 10, 2024, 10:43:59 AM »
Perhaps more suited to P/R, but who cares. We've now reached a point where the government is more efficient and responsive than the private sector as often as not. When I got my DL renewed I was in the office for less than 15 minutes (and the previous renewal was done online). You make an appointment, show up during your block, and they're ready for you. "Sign here. Read the top line. Put your thumb there. -CLICK- That'll be $37. Have a nice day." This morning I transferred a title and registered a car in my name. I was in the building less than 15 minutes (and five of that was because I fucked up), and everything was very streamlined. The people were also reasonably pleasant for civil servants. 

I'm shopping for my next electricity plan, and it took 30 minutes "chatting" with Ana H, who's real name is almost certainly Fatima Ali, just trying to get actual pricing for an offer THEY MAILED ME! These are people trying to sell me something, and they've made it a tedious experience. I left the tax office quite pleased this morning. I finished with Ana H highly annoyed.

Seriously, dealing with the government is far easier than trying to buy something now if it has to involve a real person. I've spent longer trying to mash the right buttons just to get a real person to take my money than I did titling my car.

The only thing that makes shopping for energy even doable is that the government mandates that they provide an Electricity Facts Label that puts the most important bits on a single page, and I guarantee you that the companies and libertarians alike both threw a giant fit about blatant governmental interference.

And in the end it all comes down to a simple axiom. The house always wins. The more they try to convince you a plan is going to save you money the more you're going to bleed from the ass once it's all said and done. Everything is a variation on the same theme. In the sample EFL I provided they simply triple the energy cost and give you a quarter of the month "free." I've read hundreds of EFLs, and I've got a spreadsheet that does the number crunching for me, and that one is probably the worst I've seen in terms of ripping off suckers.

Capitalism! Fuck Yeah!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline emtee

« Reply #3293 on: May 10, 2024, 10:51:25 AM »
Ass bleeding is highly unpleasant.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3294 on: May 10, 2024, 10:54:53 AM »
Yeah, I'm kind of feeling similar pain today with Verizon.

I have FIOS's slowest internet, 50/50.  I hadn't needed more even though they've been trying to get me to upgrade for a few years.  Their cheapest plans are still more expensive, I just didn't need it.  Well, my gf moved in last year and she started a new job last week and now her internet isn't cutting it for running meetings all day apparently.  Speed tests show good in her office, but apparently she keeps cutting in and out of meetings and she told me she'd pay for the internet now on since she needs the upgrade.  (I'm still a bit iffy if thats the real issue, but she wants to pay and I think just upgrading the router might help). Go online do the paperwork, sign up for the new 4 year deal for 1G.  Get the router in the mail, hook it up, it works but still at 50/50.

So I had to go on the phone for a solid hour, got hung up on twice as well, and they finally told me they sent me the wrong router and they need a tech to come install the new one.  Like... how???  At least the internet does work, but like, if I never called and waited, they just would have felt that was OK service for me?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3295 on: May 10, 2024, 11:05:28 AM »

I have FIOS's slowest internet, 50/50.  I hadn't needed more even though they've been trying to get me to upgrade for a few years.  Their cheapest plans are still more expensive, I just didn't need it.  Well, my gf moved in last year and she started a new job last week and now her internet isn't cutting it for running meetings all day apparently.  Speed tests show good in her office, but apparently she keeps cutting in and out of meetings and she told me she'd pay for the internet now on since she needs the upgrade.  (I'm still a bit iffy if thats the real issue, but she wants to pay and I think just upgrading the router might help). Go online do the paperwork, sign up for the new 4 year deal for 1G.  Get the router in the mail, hook it up, it works but still at 50/50.

So I had to go on the phone for a solid hour, got hung up on twice as well, and they finally told me they sent me the wrong router and they need a tech to come install the new one.  Like... how???  At least the internet does work, but like, if I never called and waited, they just would have felt that was OK service for me?
Four year deal? I wouldn't even sign a contract to pork Margot Robie for 4 years!

And strangely, my ISP is one of the few businesses that often do real good by me. I might sit on hold for a bit, but usually they're pretty accommodating once you get somebody. And if they're not just hang up on them and try again. The next one might mysteriously has different deals they can offer.

Internet and electricity are two things I won't sign up for longer than 1 year under any circumstances.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3296 on: May 10, 2024, 11:15:05 AM »
I'm not going anywhere very likely.  I dont care about the years. I've had the same internet service for the last 10.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3297 on: May 10, 2024, 11:46:01 AM »

My wife's on the phone with Xfinity as I type this because when we're both working from home on the same days, we have to unplug the router and modem about 20 times a day because the internet stops working for some reason. It's getting really annoying. My router is 7 years old. I don't know if that's got anything to do with it or not.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3298 on: May 10, 2024, 12:20:08 PM »
My wife's on the phone with Xfinity as I type this because when we're both working from home on the same days, we have to unplug the router and modem about 20 times a day because the internet stops working for some reason. It's getting really annoying. My router is 7 years old. I don't know if that's got anything to do with it or not.
Maybe.  The days I work from home, I dont experience any issues. We initially thought maybe we need a wifi extender, but honestly, I get good signal in my gf's office. So I really don't know.  I will say, the new router we got, which while not the right one, is still an upgrade over the super old one, and my gf said she has way less issues just from that alone the last couple days. 

I will say, my gf opting to pay the bill made this a super easy decision, otherwise I'd be trying a few more options or just upgrading the router and not the bandwidth. I'm kind of excited to be able to do my video game downloads/updates super quick instead of waiting a few hours though. (but I find that convenience hardly worth the $30 a month extra).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3299 on: May 10, 2024, 08:34:14 PM »
I've talked about this here before, but I am confounded by the "shopping for utilities" conversation. Never have I once had to shop for my electric, gas, water, or trash pick-up*. Any time I have moved, I call the appropriate utility, give them my name and address, tell them my move-in date, and they tell me I'm all set. I think the only choice I have had to make is which size dumpster I want.

*Internet being the exception that involved choices, and that was done so long ago I don't even remember what they were. I've had the same service since I moved in to this house in 2009, despite it changing from Verizon to Frontier to Ziply.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3300 on: May 10, 2024, 11:27:04 PM »
I've talked about this here before, but I am confounded by the "shopping for utilities" conversation. Never have I once had to shop for my electric, gas, water, or trash pick-up*. Any time I have moved, I call the appropriate utility, give them my name and address, tell them my move-in date, and they tell me I'm all set. I think the only choice I have had to make is which size dumpster I want.

*Internet being the exception that involved choices, and that was done so long ago I don't even remember what they were. I've had the same service since I moved in to this house in 2009, despite it changing from Verizon to Frontier to Ziply.
It's really a fascinating thing, and it perfectly encapsulates the difference between Texas and that pinko-commie state you live in. Up there the state sells you electricity for $0.14/KwH and that's that. Shut up and eat your pinecone. Down here we pay whatever any of 80 different companies we choose will sell it to us for. Maybe it's .092 plus a delivery fee of .049 and $5.49/mo. Maybe it's the delivery fee plus $.21/KwH, but nights and any dates that are prime numbers are free. Or perhaps $.25/KwH but your 7 highest usage days are free. Winter and Summer are .064, but spring and fall are .199. Like I said: The house always wins. The difference is that the state tells you what it is and it's an easy-peasy thing to deal with. The state tells me to just deal with it and I have to be intelligent enough to not get fucked, while also having to deal with an electricity company that gives zero shits about customer service because I'm necessarily buying into long-term contract from a company that doesn't technically exist for more than a couple of years.

But the cost of living is so cheap down here!   :rollin
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3301 on: May 12, 2024, 09:22:50 PM »
It's really a fascinating thing, and it perfectly encapsulates the difference between Texas and that pinko-commie state you live in. Up there the state sells you electricity for $0.14/KwH and that's that. Shut up and eat your pinecone. Down here we pay whatever any of 80 different companies we choose will sell it to us for. Maybe it's .092 plus a delivery fee of .049 and $5.49/mo. Maybe it's the delivery fee plus $.21/KwH, but nights and any dates that are prime numbers are free. Or perhaps $.25/KwH but your 7 highest usage days are free. Winter and Summer are .064, but spring and fall are .199. Like I said: The house always wins. The difference is that the state tells you what it is and it's an easy-peasy thing to deal with. The state tells me to just deal with it and I have to be intelligent enough to not get fucked, while also having to deal with an electricity company that gives zero shits about customer service because I'm necessarily buying into long-term contract from a company that doesn't technically exist for more than a couple of years.

I remember reading an article about the necessity of the utility "facts label," and wondered what the point was. I need electricity/water and sewer/gas/trash pickup/internet for my house. They send me a bill every month, I pay it (with that side of pinecone). I don't need a breakdown. Trash and internet are fixed amounts, water and sewer is variable but minimally. Gas and electric are the only ones I can modify the usage of, and yes I will often tell my kids to put on a sweatshirt if they are cold. Internet is the only service where I can shop different plans/services, but it's always been clear what I am paying for and what I am receiving; I've never had to go on a hard target search to find it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3302 on: May 13, 2024, 06:49:49 AM »
The "breakdowns" always make me laugh.  We scream for them, and politicians seem to think it's a big deal when they secure commitments to get them, but honestly, what do they do other than cause agita?   We got the "breakdowns" from the utility companies and from Ticketmaster, and now all we do is bitch and moan because the exact same thing we've been paying for for years now says "service fees" and "taxes" for part of it. 

For me, when I buy cable, or electricity* or tickets, if the total number suits me, I just rationalize it that "this is value for my money".  I'm paying $53 to see Ritchie Blackmore and his still-very attractive wife - a bargain at any price - and whether it's $49 for the seat and $4 of service fees, or $49 dollars of service fees and $4 for the seat, that's up to Blackmore's accountants and lawyers.   

* I have solar now, and haven't paid a dime to Eversource - my electrical company - in over 18 months.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3303 on: May 13, 2024, 07:34:11 AM »
When it comes to my electric company the estimated monthly usage bills are my favorite. They would only do an actual meter read every other month so I would constantly have things like 1,400 kWhr (estimated) one month then 300 kWhr (actual) the next month when they would correct the usage. I'm on a budget plan since I like to know how much I'm paying each month with no surprises but it makes me wonder how good their estimation programs are when after 3 years of being in this house the estimates are easily double what I actually used that month. You think there would be a pattern at this point.

Thankfully NYS is forcing them to do actual meter readings now but before that there are stories of people in apartments getting monthly bills in the thousands of dollars based on faulty estimates. And after all of that they had the balls to ask the state for a 16% rate increase on electric "to meet the state environmental regulations". Unfortunately they're going to get some rate increase approved and they're the only game in town.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3304 on: May 13, 2024, 07:37:46 AM »

Down here, similar to you, there is basically one electric company and one water company.  There are multiple gas companies, for those who need that, and for some reason there are a shitload of trash pick-up companies - just on our street we have at least 4 trash pick-up companies coming through to our neighbors and us.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3305 on: May 13, 2024, 08:43:53 AM »
Regarding the breakdowns, EFLs as we call them down here, they actually are necessary. If you don't have any choice in the matter then it's just as Stadler said. You pay $49 for the ticket and $20 in TT&L, or you pay $69 "all in." If you let 70 different companies sell those tickets then it's different. While I said that the house always wins, absolutely true, there is a big difference in the degree of defeat. You've got losing to a walk-off Vinatieri field goal in XXXVI, or you've got the Bills getting demolished in all phases of the game and losing 57-14 in XXVII. While Chris's state run power company and the best option down here come out about the same, there are other plans down here where the estimated cost is the same, but until you crunch the numbers you won't know that you're getting fleeced for maybe 50% more per month (and you just signed a 3 year contract for the privilege).

Thankfully NYS is forcing them to do actual meter readings now but before that there are stories of people in apartments getting monthly bills in the thousands of dollars based on faulty estimates. And after all of that they had the balls to ask the state for a 16% rate increase on electric "to meet the state environmental regulations". Unfortunately they're going to get some rate increase approved and they're the only game in town.
Something else we can always count on. If anything happens to dip into their profits the state will be very quick to make it back up to them. We're still getting screwed to make up for their lost profits, and their costs of "winterization," which isn't even happening.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3306 on: May 13, 2024, 09:34:16 AM »

So my gas meter died like 10 months ago.  I got a bill for just 11 bucks, which is I guess their basic fee for using their service.  And then a letter in the mail asking to arrange a time to have someone replace it.  I responded to that letter like 4 times and no one ever contacted me or anything, they just kept sending the letter and I kept paying 11 bucks a month for like 8 months total until I finally called them and they got someone over.  He actually told me, the meters use like wifi and a car juts drives by and gets the readings off the meter without having to get out of the car.  I wasn't aware that's how they worked.  Anyway, I expected a huge bill for all that gas I had used in those 8 monthes, but so far, haven't gotten one besides a normal usage bill since then.  I'm starting to wonder if I ever should have made that call  :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3307 on: May 13, 2024, 09:41:17 AM »
You got lucky! My electric company does the same thing with their newer meters however I still have an old school dial meter and damned if I'm ever going to have it replaced.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3308 on: May 13, 2024, 09:45:52 AM »
It's amazing how much of a difference having a "free market" utility makes. I rely on my electric "smart" meter to make an informed decision about which company gets to ass rape me and how deep they get to stick it in.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3309 on: May 13, 2024, 09:48:52 AM »
It's amazing how much of a difference having a "free market" utility makes. I rely on my electric "smart" meter to make an informed decision about which company gets to ass rape me and how deep they get to stick it in.  :lol

What about solar panels? Is that an option?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3310 on: May 13, 2024, 10:05:15 AM »
What about solar panels? Is that an option?
While I'm sure the condo board would love for me to install panels everywhere, I'm not sure it would be a sound investment for me:lol
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3311 on: May 13, 2024, 12:11:56 PM »
Mass line cutters.  "Mass" is the key word there.

At BBQ restaurants for example, you get there and there is the line you go through to place your order with the meat guys and then you pay. Nice and easy.  If someone ahead of me has a person or two arrive late and they want them to move up to order with them, I always good with that.  And a courtesy, the "do you care if they move ahead of you?" ask if always appreciated as well.  But last week, there was a group of like 10 people ahead of me and another lady, and they tried getting 10 more people that arrived late to all move ahead of us, and the lady in front of me and behind them basically told them no.  I was in agreement (and I was glad she said it so I didn't have to be that guy).  The guy who seemed to be the leader of the group seemed puzzled as to why it was an issue. I am a fairly patient guy, but 10 more people moving ahead of us adds another 20-30 minutes to our wait (given the speed at which the lines move at this place these days).  Not cool at all, if you ask me.  Fortunately, the people behind me didn't seemed bothered by it, and I even made a little small talk with two of them.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3312 on: May 13, 2024, 12:44:15 PM »
Yeah the line placeholder person is generally acceptable for one, maybe two, others and that even depends on the type of line.

A cousin to that which usually happens at Chipotle or a similar place is the one person who was tasked to order the lunch for seemingly everyone in their office. Think you're next? Hold on, the person in front of you has to keep going back to their phone to dictate 10+ specialty orders.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3313 on: May 13, 2024, 12:48:17 PM »
Mass line cutters.  "Mass" is the key word there.

At BBQ restaurants for example, you get there and there is the line you go through to place your order with the meat guys and then you pay. Nice and easy.  If someone ahead of me has a person or two arrive late and they want them to move up to order with them, I always good with that.  And a courtesy, the "do you care if they move ahead of you?" ask if always appreciated as well.  But last week, there was a group of like 10 people ahead of me and another lady, and they tried getting 10 more people that arrived late to all move ahead of us, and the lady in front of me and behind them basically told them no.  I was in agreement (and I was glad she said it so I didn't have to be that guy).  The guy who seemed to be the leader of the group seemed puzzled as to why it was an issue. I am a fairly patient guy, but 10 more people moving ahead of us adds another 20-30 minutes to our wait (given the speed at which the lines move at this place these days).  Not cool at all, if you ask me.  Fortunately, the people behind me didn't seemed bothered by it, and I even made a little small talk with two of them.
And I'll bet that each one of them placed a separate order, and paid separately by CC. And only half of them bothered to read the menu while they were waiting. If this is the sort of place that runs out of meat pretty early in the day that shit won't fly. Down here people get in line hours in advance because they only smoke so many briskets a day. Every person in front of you lessens the chance that you get what you want.

Really, though, it's up to the BBQ place to set some sort of rules. One extra person for each person who's waited in line in line seems fair. And that's only before they do the check for the end of the line. Once somebody gets tagged as the last in line line-jumpers should be shot.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3314 on: May 13, 2024, 07:04:26 PM »
Hours in advance?  Dang, that must be some killer brisket. 

Personally, I am not a big fan of brisket, as it's a bit too fatty, which is the appeal for some I know, but the place I go to on occasion will do a brisket strokonoff as one of their sides, which is always amazing.  You get the good part of the brisket (the meat!) in that.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3315 on: May 13, 2024, 08:43:23 PM »
People are spending hours in line for food? If I think I'll be spending more than 4 minutes in a line to place an order, I am in the wrong place.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3316 on: May 13, 2024, 09:37:54 PM »
Down here, similar to you, there is basically one electric company and one water company.  There are multiple gas companies, for those who need that, and for some reason there are a shitload of trash pick-up companies - just on our street we have at least 4 trash pick-up companies coming through to our neighbors and us.

That's crazy. The only utility I've ever shopped for was internet/cable. We have only one trash/electric/water/gas option in my neighborhood. It was like that where I grew up in Florida.

Stupid question but do the garbage trucks come on the same day?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3317 on: May 13, 2024, 09:54:14 PM »
Hours in advance?  Dang, that must be some killer brisket. 

People are spending hours in line for food? If I think I'll be spending more than 4 minutes in a line to place an order, I am in the wrong place.

Down here the good places will only cook as much brisket as is reasonable, so the top notch places will often sell out around 1 or 2. Same with the ribs. If it's good people will get there early enough to score some. For my part, I've had some brisket that might be worth waiting for, but I know enough to get it without much waiting. Just like figure skating, there's a point of diminishing returns. Is a 9.4738 really that much better than a 9.4655? Plenty of places will serve you up that 9.465 without the hassle.

Personally, I am not a big fan of brisket, as it's a bit too fatty, which is the appeal for some I know, but the place I go to on occasion will do a brisket strokonoff as one of their sides, which is always amazing.  You get the good part of the brisket (the meat!) in that.
Down here any respectable place will ask if you want lean or "moist." I order lean plus a slice of the fatty stuff. Works out well.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3318 on: May 14, 2024, 06:28:37 AM »
Down here the good places will only cook as much brisket as is reasonable, so the top notch places will often sell out around 1 or 2. Same with the ribs. If it's good people will get there early enough to score some. For my part, I've had some brisket that might be worth waiting for, but I know enough to get it without much waiting. Just like figure skating, there's a point of diminishing returns. Is a 9.4738 really that much better than a 9.4655? Plenty of places will serve you up that 9.465 without the hassle.
Down here any respectable place will ask if you want lean or "moist." I order lean plus a slice of the fatty stuff. Works out well.

Nice.  I always order lean with the pulled pork I get, as I am not a fan of the burnt ends.  I get turkey often at the place I go, and I know the obvious question is, why go to a BBW place and get turkey? Well, their turkey is amazing (most days, they have the occasional day where it is a little dry, in which you need a bunch of sauce).  Ribs are great, but I rarely get them as they are messy and so much work.  Same thing with crab legs, which are amazing, but I don't always feel like having to work for my food. :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3319 on: May 14, 2024, 07:05:34 AM »
We've got BBQ places like that here in NC as well.  They only fix so much each day, and when they're out, they're out, so if you want it, you go early and get in line, or you don't get it.  Some even serve brisket as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3320 on: May 14, 2024, 07:08:24 AM »
I'm always amazed how long people wait in line for BBQ, even the best of the best. 

I'm a bit biased though because I hate lines more than just about anything else on Earth, and I don't find BBQing to be all that difficult.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3321 on: May 14, 2024, 07:28:27 AM »
I'm always amazed how long people wait in line for BBQ, even the best of the best. 

I'm a bit biased though because I hate lines more than just about anything else on Earth, and I don't find BBQing to be all that difficult.

Brian, we've talked about this a bit, but now that my son and I (mostly my son) has been smoking meats downstairs, I don't see the point.   We just had ribs and turkey legs (my father-in-law LOVES the big 'ol Fred Flinstone turkey legs) on Sunday, and frankly, here in CT there's no BBQ place that a) does it better than we can do at home, and so b) that I would stand in line any more than is reasonable for a table at any restaurant.  I know some regional places have good eats, and there are some things that are harder to do at home, I get that, but as a general prop, I'd rather be at my kitchen table eating it than being around morons and idiots acting their nature.  :) :) :)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3322 on: May 14, 2024, 08:45:21 AM »
Nice.  I always order lean with the pulled pork I get, as I am not a fan of the burnt ends.  I get turkey often at the place I go, and I know the obvious question is, why go to a BBW place and get turkey? Well, their turkey is amazing (most days, they have the occasional day where it is a little dry, in which you need a bunch of sauce).  Ribs are great, but I rarely get them as they are messy and so much work.  Same thing with crab legs, which are amazing, but I don't always feel like having to work for my food. :lol
I always ask for a slice of turkey to see how well they do. I've only found one place where it's really exceptional, but it was good enough to set me on a quest to find better. I'm the same as you with ribs. I actually like beef ribs, but down here they're kind of a tourist trap deal. You'll pay $40+ for one, and while they are wonderful, you just kind of feel ripped off about it. And since there are so many Krauts down in the hill country sausage is kind of a must. Brisket and sausage is typically how I'll judge a place.  I'll usually do brisket, a link, and a slice of turkey. If it's a place I haven't been before maybe a couple of ribs or a slice of ham if they have it. Pulled pork isn't really a thing down here, but there's always chopped brisket for sandwiches.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3323 on: May 14, 2024, 08:52:33 AM »
frankly, here in CT there's no BBQ place that a) does it better than we can do at home,
I don't have any trouble believing that lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3324 on: May 14, 2024, 08:54:43 AM »
I always ask for a slice of turkey to see how well they do. I've only found one place where it's really exceptional, but it was good enough to set me on a quest to find better. I'm the same as you with ribs. I actually like beef ribs, but down here they're kind of a tourist trap deal. You'll pay $40+ for one, and while they are wonderful, you just kind of feel ripped off about it. And since there are so many Krauts down in the hill country sausage is kind of a must. Brisket and sausage is typically how I'll judge a place.  I'll usually do brisket, a link, and a slice of turkey. If it's a place I haven't been before maybe a couple of ribs or a slice of ham if they have it. Pulled pork isn't really a thing down here, but there's always chopped brisket for sandwiches.

Beef ribs are my favorite thing off a cow. I put these on my smoker during lunch yesterday and had them for dinner. They came from a local farm 3 miles from me. I'm spoiled where I'm at.