Author Topic: DreamSonic 2023  (Read 68893 times)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: DreamSonic 2023
« Reply #1995 on: July 26, 2023, 08:34:20 PM »
I have not looked at the picture but a connection between extra weight and a running out of breath during a very physical act like performing a rock concert at 60 is far more realistic than sabotaging mobile phones or not being endowed with raspiness.

I am not saying that is the issue; we don't know what it is frankly but it makes far more sense as a theory.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1996 on: July 26, 2023, 08:36:29 PM »
This is the end of a long tour, right (I legit don't know, just got back on the forum in the last 2 months)?

So it's probably age, tiredness of a long tour, maybe out of shape a little (still think JLB looks pretty good for 60), maybe needs to go back to fundamentals.

• PR permission
« Reply #1997 on: July 26, 2023, 08:39:52 PM »
On a more positive note, the tour ending tonight means the next step for DT, after they take a well deserved rest, is start working on DT16 :metal

It's so hard for me to even get to grips with a DT16 release because I get such a brick just thinking about it and we're going to need wait at least until next summer  :(

Here's a tasty thought: what if DT16 has a faint hint of Animals as Leaders influence since they're touring together and JP is probably collecting ideas  here and there?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1998 on: July 26, 2023, 08:59:29 PM »
ANYWAYS...

Animals As Leaders kicked ass and up next it my next love...DT.

They're playing an ambient mix of his....I heard Che and it's so soothing...in between his and AAL's set. That is a fantastic touch ...

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1999 on: July 26, 2023, 09:24:32 PM »

I think I understand what you're saying but just to clarify, you are specifically talking about the pitch issues and that cellphones are not an accurate demonstration of these issues. Are you saying that the pitch issues are at least in part due to the cellphone recordings?

What I am saying, and have said, is that cellphone footage can distort the severity of the pitch issue. Compound that with the fact that James has an extremely unique voice that does not cover for pitch issues as much as say, Graham Bonnet. I use that example because I literally was just listening to a live Alcatrazz song. He has a much more raspy voice that covered for flatness so I began to listen a little more closely to see if he ever went flat. Sure enough, within a minute, he had a flat note which I never noticed the other times I listened to it. That is for two reasons: 1) as previously stated, a raspy voice covers for flatness 2) he had background vocals to harmonize with

After a massive amount of online complaining about James performing with taped melodies, he abandoned those for this tour. Sure, there were complaints about his performance in the last tour but honestly I think his performance is about on par. It is more noticeable this time because the only harmonizing comes from JP, and that is not often. I don't think it's a coincidence that people are complaining more despite actually giving the fans what they want with the lack of taped harmonies.

Also, his voice is rarely raspy.

Mix those two reasons with cell phones catching certain pitches more, also quite dependent on where you're at in the venue, it's going to appear more severe than it is.

Most people, including myself on the last tour, that saw cellphone vids before the show were expecting a worse performance. Then I was surprised that I honestly didn't notice a huge problem with his performance in person. Sure, since I'm a hardcore enough fan that I post on message boards arguing with strangers, I did notice in person he was not performing nearly as well as he had in the past, but it barely, and I mean barely, detracted from the quality of the show or my enjoyment. And I went into it thinking, "oh boy, James may finally be at the point of no return." I was happy to be proven wrong.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2000 on: July 26, 2023, 09:31:48 PM »

I think I understand what you're saying but just to clarify, you are specifically talking about the pitch issues and that cellphones are not an accurate demonstration of these issues. Are you saying that the pitch issues are at least in part due to the cellphone recordings?

What I am saying, and have said, is that cellphone footage can distort the severity of the pitch issue. Compound that with the fact that James has an extremely unique voice that does not cover for pitch issues as much as say, Graham Bonnet. I use that example because I literally was just listening to a live Alcatrazz song. He has a much more raspy voice that covered for flatness so I began to listen a little more closely to see if he ever went flat. Sure enough, within a minute, he had a flat note which I never noticed the other times I listened to it. That is for two reasons: 1) as previously stated, a raspy voice covers for flatness 2) he had background vocals to harmonize with

After a massive amount of online complaining about James performing with taped melodies, he abandoned those for this tour. Sure, there were complaints about his performance in the last tour but honestly I think his performance is about on par. It is more noticeable this time because the only harmonizing comes from JP, and that is not often. I don't think it's a coincidence that people are complaining more despite actually giving the fans what they want with the lack of taped harmonies.

Mix those two reasons with cell phones catching certain pitches more, also quite dependent on where you're at in the venue, it's going to appear more severe than it is.

Most people, including myself on the last tour, that saw cellphone vids before the show were expecting a worse performance. Then I was surprised that I honestly didn't notice a huge problem with his performance in person. Sure, since I'm a hardcore enough fan that I post on message boards arguing with strangers, I did notice in person he was not performing nearly as well as he had in the past, but it barely, and I mean barely, detracted from the quality of the show or my enjoyment. And I went into it thinking, "oh boy, James may finally be at the point of no return." I was happy to be proven wrong.
Good way to get the thread locked  :tdwn

Apparently not. Didn't realize weight shaming was within the rules. After seeing that earlier today I figured by the time I got back on this would have been addressed by a moderator. Pretty shameful.
Regardless, my show is tomorrow, it's the final stop and the final show of this tour cycle.

I'm flying there in the morning and will be returning Thursday. I'm taking the same friend whom I took to the first show in Mesa. Gonna be nice bookending their tour run with them.

Is this tonight? You must be so excited! 🎶✨😁

Yup...I am here right now and am just trying to find things to do before the show. And trying to stay out of this heat...

Hey, I've been trying to get it back to about the show. But apparently, people want to bitch about JLBs vocals.

You're going today, right?

Yup. I'm staying not far from the venue.

Enjoy the hell out of it for me. I'm still bummed I had to miss the show two weeks ago, especially considering they played one of my favorite songs off the new album that they didn't play last time

I am honestly not sure what to make of that first sentence. If for example the note is E and James sings somewhere between an E and an Eb or D, the phones trick our ear into perceiving he was more off than he really was (and I guess it would be up to whoever was in the room to provide eyewitness testimony later on as to what he actually sang because your memory and ability to remember exact pitch in a hazardously loud concert hall is just more reliable that what Apple and Samsung devices can muster). And there is something about the phones that always makes us hear the note as more flat, never more sharp? I wonder why this doesn't happen to the other instruments (or to Devin) playing music on the same stage, or why it only affects JLB to the downside, meaning if he sang a correct note I guess the phones take a little break and don't distort the pitch. If phones were distorting pitches, the recordings would be a total wreck for everyone theoretically because whatever note you sang or played, it would just get thrown off to the point where the only way you could sound in tune was to play slightly flat all the time.

If that isn't enough to cover for JLB, his voice is so unique that he lacks advantages of other singers, whose raspier timbre can cover for them when they mess up. I have never heard of this novel theory in 20+ years of studying music, though I am not sure why it even matters if the cell phones are really the culprit.

Did I understand your view correctly? It is not really him (or your devotion); it's that the phones are changing pitches and his voice lacks a natural cover that other singers have. Wonder why all of this is not a problem for Devin, who doesn't have a 'raspy' voice and is being recorded with the same equipment...

No, you didn't get it correct and at this point I don't even think you're debating in good faith with belittling references to sabatoging phone or being endowed with raspiness. For the record, James does have a good raspy style he just doesnt use it much. Every DT fan knows it. I honestly don't even know how to word my argument any differently because you clearly aren't understanding and also wilfully ignore several points that reference some of the things you can't seem to comprehend. In addition, this is yet another time you refer to my "devotion" (in another instance you said "extremely loyal") even though I have time and time again agreed with some of the criticism though I feel it is a bit harsh and exaggerated. I honestly don't know how to make it more clear or whether all of my attempts have been futile. I feel like some people in this thread have understood. I hope so anyway

Edit: actually as I was about to post it seems Herrick understands. Thanks.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #2001 on: July 26, 2023, 10:44:53 PM »
Man, I made one post about JLB in Vancouver and it seems this entire thread switches over to that—sorry folks.

Anyways!!! the tour is over now, so let's go and be excited for DT16.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2002 on: July 26, 2023, 10:52:58 PM »

Apparently not. Didn't realize weight shaming was within the rules. After seeing that earlier today I figured by the time I got back on this would have been addressed by a moderator. Pretty shameful.
Regardless, my show is tomorrow, it's the final stop and the final show of this tour cycle.

I'm flying there in the morning and will be returning Thursday. I'm taking the same friend whom I took to the first show in Mesa. Gonna be nice bookending their tour run with them.

Yup...I am here right now and am just trying to find things to do before the show. And trying to stay out of this heat...

Hey, I've been trying to get it back to about the show. But apparently, people want to bitch about JLBs vocals.

Enjoy the hell out of it for me. I'm still bummed I had to miss the show two weeks ago, especially considering they played one of my favorite songs off the new album that they didn't play last time

I am honestly not sure what to make of that first sentence. If for example the note is E and James sings somewhere between an E and an Eb or D, the phones trick our ear into perceiving he was more off than he really was (and I guess it would be up to whoever was in the room to provide eyewitness testimony later on as to what he actually sang because your memory and ability to remember exact pitch in a hazardously loud concert hall is just more reliable that what Apple and Samsung devices can muster). And there is something about the phones that always makes us hear the note as more flat, never more sharp? I wonder why this doesn't happen to the other instruments (or to Devin) playing music on the same stage, or why it only affects JLB to the downside, meaning if he sang a correct note I guess the phones take a little break and don't distort the pitch. If phones were distorting pitches, the recordings would be a total wreck for everyone theoretically because whatever note you sang or played, it would just get thrown off to the point where the only way you could sound in tune was to play slightly flat all the time.

If that isn't enough to cover for JLB, his voice is so unique that he lacks advantages of other singers, whose raspier timbre can cover for them when they mess up. I have never heard of this novel theory in 20+ years of studying music, though I am not sure why it even matters if the cell phones are really the culprit.

Did I understand your view correctly? It is not really him (or your devotion); it's that the phones are changing pitches and his voice lacks a natural cover that other singers have. Wonder why all of this is not a problem for Devin, who doesn't have a 'raspy' voice and is being recorded with the same equipment...

No, you didn't get it correct and at this point I don't even think you're debating in good faith with belittling references to sabatoging phone or being endowed with raspiness. For the record, James does have a good raspy style he just doesnt use it much. Every DT fan knows it. I honestly don't even know how to word my argument any differently because you clearly aren't understanding and also wilfully ignore several points that reference some of the things you can't seem to comprehend. In addition, this is yet another time you refer to my "devotion" (in another instance you said "extremely loyal") even though I have time and time again agreed with some of the criticism though I feel it is a bit harsh and exaggerated. I honestly don't know how to make it more clear or whether all of my attempts have been futile. I feel like some people in this thread have understood. I hope so anyway

I was just thanking you for explaining your view. I didn't mean to imply that I agree with you.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2003 on: July 26, 2023, 10:53:20 PM »
Man, I made one post about JLB in Vancouver and it seems this entire thread switches over to that—sorry folks.

If it's anything like the last two then it may be the best 3 album span since...well, in my opinion, ToT, 8V, Systematic Chaos. I'm sure most people wouldn't include SC in that.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2004 on: July 26, 2023, 10:55:06 PM »

I was just thanking you for explaining your view. I didn't mean to imply that I agree with you.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought you were agreeing with me, just that I appreciate you understanding where I'm coming from.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: July 27, 2023, 12:35:57 AM »

I didn't mean to imply that I thought you were agreeing with me, just that I appreciate you understanding where I'm coming from.

I'm not sure that was necessarily the implication, either :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2006 on: July 27, 2023, 12:48:50 AM »

IToT, 8V, Systematic Chaos. I'm sure most people wouldn't include SC in that.
I would!   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline efx

« Reply #2007 on: July 27, 2023, 03:58:08 AM »
Neat guitar Tosin pulled out :)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2008 on: July 27, 2023, 04:44:47 AM »
ANYWAYS...

They're playing an ambient mix of his....I heard Che and it's so soothing...in between his and AAL's set. That is a fantastic touch ...

Hope you had a good time and enjoyed the show Ben!

• PR permission
« Reply #2009 on: July 27, 2023, 05:30:14 AM »

Ah, ok. I'll just let that bolded part speak for itself then. Your words, not mine.

"cellphone footage can distort the severity of the pitch issue"
"a raspy voice covers for flatness"

Seems kinda self explanatory but I was pressing you to explain it more because you're asserting these things - falsehoods, to be sure - as true and doing so in a rather matter of fact way. I hope no one will read that and actually think there is something to it. Misinformation is certainly a large problem in our society today and I would hate to see it get worse because someone is such a hardcore fan he can't accept reality (sounds like a familiar theme in today's world).

I think you could have saved time and energy by just saying 'whatever happened, it is not JLB's fault.'

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2010 on: July 27, 2023, 05:40:48 AM »

Hehe! Cute play :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2011 on: July 27, 2023, 05:55:13 AM »

Ah, ok. I'll just let that bolded part speak for itself then. Your words, not mine.

"cellphone footage can distort the severity of the pitch issue"
"a raspy voice covers for flatness"

Seems kinda self explanatory but I was pressing you to explain it more because you're asserting these things - falsehoods, to be sure - as true and doing so in a rather matter of fact way. I hope no one will read that and actually think there is something to it. Misinformation is certainly a large problem in our society today and I would hate to see it get worse because someone is such a hardcore fan he can't accept reality (sounds like a familiar theme in today's world).

I think you could have saved time and energy by just saying 'whatever happened, it is not JLB's fault.'

Most singers are pitchy, that's one reason why auto tune still sounds artificial even when it's applied to a singer who naturally sounds "in key" to us. What James is experiencing, unfortunately, seems to be more severe than just some incidental pitchiness.

Hehe! Cute play :biggrin:

This is amazing..

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2012 on: July 27, 2023, 06:19:22 AM »
Can you please stop quote pyramid?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2013 on: July 27, 2023, 07:01:25 AM »

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

This is something I've been wanting JP to do for the longest time. Just imagine how many Majesty guitars they would sell with this finish on them :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline efx

« Reply #2014 on: July 27, 2023, 07:11:24 AM »
It'd be interesting to know who owns the pattern. I managed to score a P100 last year (the ibanez with the above color) and while yes, that pattern is unique and awesome I feel that particular shape of the guitar and logo made it for me. Not sure I'd feel the same about it being on something radically different like a Majesty. To each their own of course :)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2015 on: July 27, 2023, 07:52:43 AM »

Ah my mistake then  :)

And cool guitar Abasi has there!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2016 on: July 27, 2023, 08:06:50 AM »

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

This is something I've been wanting JP to do for the longest time. Just imagine how many Majesty guitars they would sell with this finish on them :metal

I'd buy one just to hang. I don't even play guitar.

I made a custom plate for my Wii guitar some years back  :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2017 on: July 27, 2023, 08:13:47 AM »
I made a custom plate for my Wii guitar some years back  :lol

Seriously, that's cool AF  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2018 on: July 27, 2023, 08:16:20 AM »
On a more positive note, the tour ending tonight means the next step for DT, after they take a well deserved rest, is start working on DT16 :metal

It's so hard for me to even get to grips with a DT16 release because I get such a brick just thinking about it and we're going to need wait at least until next summer  :(

Here's a tasty thought: what if DT16 has a faint hint of Animals as Leaders influence since they're touring together and JP is probably collecting ideas  here and there?

This would be awesome, I could totally see DT doing stuff in the style of the AAL's album The Joy Of Motion

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2019 on: July 27, 2023, 08:26:03 AM »

Or Devin Townsend influence, which would be even better. :biggrin:

I'd be surprised if there wasn't another 8-string song though.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2020 on: July 27, 2023, 08:28:48 AM »

Tosin's playing is totally out of JP's wheelhouse.
I'd love to hear him try and dabble in some more percussive playing/fingerstyle/tapping, but not sure that he ever would.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #2021 on: July 27, 2023, 08:38:25 AM »

I’d be very interested to see what JP could come up with using Open C tuning

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: July 27, 2023, 09:12:12 AM »

Nah nah, drop Devin and do a co headline with AAL and DT.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2023 on: July 27, 2023, 09:16:28 AM »
Hope you had a good time and enjoyed the show Ben!
Yes! Looking forward to your review 🙂
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 09:22:31 AM by crystalstars17 »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2024 on: July 27, 2023, 10:36:04 AM »
ANYWAYS...

What are your thoughts on Devin? And Dream Theater's show?

I feel like an ass. I was booking flights yesterday because I thought the Phx show was today!! Had a very long squirrel moment and didn't complete the reservation.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2025 on: July 27, 2023, 10:45:38 AM »

No, no, and no.  I love Devin, was psyched to see him, but he's his own thing and let's leave it that way.  I get that others like them, but AAL is boring to me.  Why do we want an AAL-influenced DT when we have AAL?  Or why would I want DT to go down Devin's path, when we have Devin?   Let DT be DT.   

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2026 on: July 27, 2023, 10:51:05 AM »
No, no, and no.  I love Devin, was psyched to see him, but he's his own thing and let's leave it that way.  I get that others like them, but AAL is boring to me.  Why do we want an AAL-influenced DT when we have AAL?  Or why would I want DT to go down Devin's path, when we have Devin?   Let DT be DT.

💯

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2027 on: July 27, 2023, 10:56:54 AM »

💯

Thirded.

I respect AAL a lot. I love Tosin.
I respect him way more than I "like" AAL music.

I start zoning out after about 20 minutes. This goes for their live set, their albums, all of it.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2028 on: July 27, 2023, 11:16:48 AM »
Let DT be DT (with more of a reason to make it chugga chugga instead of just doing it).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2029 on: July 27, 2023, 11:17:49 AM »
Let DT be DT (with more of a reason to make it chugga chugga instead of just doing it).

Devin Townsend be Dream Theater or Dream Theater be Devin Townsend?  :biggrin: