Author Topic: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Adam Silver Lays the Pipe on Donald Sterling ©2014antigoon  (Read 115339 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Tim Lincecum Lays the Pipe on the Padres
« Reply #700 on: April 15, 2014, 11:32:10 AM »
Playoffs are going to be so good this year. My Raptors could be in the second round...
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #701 on: April 15, 2014, 12:28:41 PM »
I'm pulling for the Raps. Lowry for PM.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #702 on: April 15, 2014, 12:46:38 PM »
Pacers clinch Eastern Conference 1st seed.

lol Heat

Who is the Celtics likely first round playoff opponent?

No one.

Exactly.  Which is why you saying "lol Heat" is hilarious.  When your team sucks, you probably shouldn't be mocking a team for only finishing 2nd in the conference.  It'd be like a Raider fan giving me, a Broncos fan, shit after the Super Bowl.  Like, really?? :lol :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #703 on: April 15, 2014, 03:51:39 PM »
Exactly.  Which is why you saying "lol Heat" is hilarious.  When your team sucks, you probably shouldn't be mocking a team for only finishing 2nd in the conference.  It'd be like a Raider fan giving me, a Broncos fan, shit after the Super Bowl.  Like, really?? :lol :lol

True.  When you consider that the Celtics actually beat the Heat twice this season, it's clear that both teams were on about the same level.  You have to hold both teams to the same set of standards.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #704 on: April 15, 2014, 04:05:48 PM »
Needs to be done sir.  I just wished they got in the top 3 for the balls.  Best  I think is a tied 4th.

This season though has been really embarrassing:

- Rondo wasn't the guy he needed to be this season (for reasons unrelated to birthdaygate)
 - I like Stevens, but he's shown some real flaws.  The offensive sets are not good.  And while I like that his coaching is basically applied Roman Stoicism, I'm not totally sure it's the right approach with NBA players.  In general too, the team's just been sloppy.
 - Sullinger and Green hurt my brain.

The only bright spot is Olynyk, who's really coming on.

I think some of Rondo's immaturity is how he played as a leader and the B-day party was a microcosm of it.
Stevens was dealt shit this year and I think until they were out of the playoffs he has them playing hard.
Green has always hurt my brain.  40 point one night and 5 the next.  Crazy.  I like Sully.  He's still young so lets see his game 3 years from now.
Olynyk has been a bright spot this year.  Love to see him with another year under his belt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #705 on: April 15, 2014, 07:26:12 PM »
I mean how much can you really critique a team that is trying to lose games?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #706 on: April 15, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »
I missed this bday party thing. What happened?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #707 on: April 15, 2014, 08:57:57 PM »
I mean how much can you really critique a team that is trying to lose games?

They weren't.  That's the problem.

I missed this bday party thing. What happened?

After their away game at the Lakers, Rondo told Brad Stevens that he wasn't going to be at the game the day after in order to spend his Birthday with his family.  While Rondo wasn't playing in back-to-backs (team/coach decision), he had been on the bench with the team almost every game unless he had a rehab session to attend.  It was expected that he continue to do this.

The specific circumstances are hazy - apparently the policy under Stevens was that you had to ask to skip out on a game you weren't going to play, and Rondo either didn't know or openly didn't care.

It was publicly exacerbated by Rondo not being even slightly apologetic and Ainge fanning the flames a bit by saying it wasn't resolved after Stevens already said it was.

The crux of the issue is that Rondo put himself before the team.
Over and over again

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #708 on: April 15, 2014, 10:35:15 PM »
When you consider that the Celtics actually beat the Heat twice this season, it's clear that both teams were on about the same level.  You have to hold both teams to the same set of standards.

Joking, right?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #709 on: April 15, 2014, 11:30:13 PM »
With ReaP, you never know. :lol :lol

It really is too bad he wasn't around last year when LBJ was beasting his way to a 2nd ring.  His forced criticism would have been entertaining. :biggrin:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #710 on: April 16, 2014, 12:29:28 AM »
I mean.

Brad Stevens wasn't trying to lose games. Their players weren't trying to lose games. But I'm sure the Celtics FO isn't exactly beating itself up about the losing season and the nice draft pick they'll be able to use this summer.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #711 on: April 16, 2014, 02:03:30 AM »
When you consider that the Celtics actually beat the Heat twice this season, it's clear that both teams were on about the same level.  You have to hold both teams to the same set of standards.

Joking, right?

Not at all.  The Heat have 29 more wins basically because of luck.

It really is too bad he wasn't around last year when LBJ was beasting his way to a 2nd ring.  His forced criticism would have been entertaining. :biggrin:

LeBron is a PR genius.  He went crazy in the OKC series and won it in five.  People cared that he got his first ring, but beating a clearly inferior team in five games doesn't get people excited.  If he played his best basketball the whole San Antonio series, the Heat might have won in six or even five games.  Nice resume builder, but again, it doesn't have any magic to it.  So, by holding out, he increased the drama of the series.  If LeBron had had that masterful 37 point game seven earlier, the impact wouldn't have been the same.  By milking it as long as possible, LeBron successfully increased the perception of his greatness.
Over and over again

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: April 16, 2014, 04:40:35 AM »
I mean.

Brad Stevens wasn't trying to lose games. Their players weren't trying to lose games. But I'm sure the Celtics FO isn't exactly beating itself up about the losing season and the nice draft pick they'll be able to use this summer.

I think you're right. The Celtics weren't tanking but management couldn't expect the team to perform a lot better after having traded all the good players. Rebuilding seasons are usually this bad
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #713 on: April 16, 2014, 07:40:31 AM »

Joking, right?

Not at all.  The Heat have 29 more wins basically because of luck.

LeBron is a PR genius.  He went crazy in the OKC series and won it in five.  People cared that he got his first ring, but beating a clearly inferior team in five games doesn't get people excited.  If he played his best basketball the whole San Antonio series, the Heat might have won in six or even five games.  Nice resume builder, but again, it doesn't have any magic to it.  So, by holding out, he increased the drama of the series.  If LeBron had had that masterful 37 point game seven earlier, the impact wouldn't have been the same.  By milking it as long as possible, LeBron successfully increased the perception of his greatness.

This is some of the weakest, stinkiest bait I've seen in some time.  If you are gonna go fishing, at least throw out some non-stinky bait for others to grab on to. :lol :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #714 on: April 16, 2014, 10:12:09 AM »
Did I miss the meeting when Reap announced his transition from borderline-delusional "Rondo is the NBA's best PG" guy to outright troll?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: April 16, 2014, 10:20:48 AM »
I'm staying out of this. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #716 on: April 16, 2014, 10:37:52 AM »
I am enjoying how basically everyone in the East is doing their level best to make sure that, in some round or another, they're going to face the Raptors.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #717 on: April 16, 2014, 11:33:04 AM »
Did I miss the meeting when Reap announced his transition from borderline-delusional "Rondo is the NBA's best PG" guy to outright troll?

This is a preposterous allegation.
Over and over again

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: April 16, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »
Reap is just venting his disappointment, I'd probably do the same if the team I root for did as poorly as the celtics.... :neverusethis:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #719 on: April 16, 2014, 11:45:03 AM »
Reap is just venting his disappointment, I'd probably do the same if the team I root for did as poorly as the celtics.... :neverusethis:

It was a disappointing season, but my overall feeling is positive.  Stevens has his flaws, but he also has a lot going for him.  In spite of Rondo's flaws, he also made some important steps forward in his work ethic and his game.  Sully's only in his second year, and Green's contract isn't a disaster.  Plus, we have the assets to make a huge trade.  And...

DRAFT LOTTERY!!!
Over and over again

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #720 on: April 16, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »
https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10790404/milwaukee-bucks-announce-sale-team

The Milwaukee Bucks will announce later Wednesday that longtime owner Herb Kohl has reached an agreement to sell the team to hedge-fund billionaires Wesley Edens and Marc Lasry for a purchase price of $550 million, according to sources familiar with the transaction.

Sources told ESPN.com that the deal, subject to league approval, will be confirmed in an afternoon news conference.

Kohl, the longtime U.S. senator, made keeping the team in Milwaukee a condition of the sale.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: April 16, 2014, 11:57:38 AM »
I too think there are positive signs but I am not as upbeat on Rondo as Reap is.  They have so many #1 draft picks that Ainge will be the gunslinger he is the next few years.  I also believe that if they don't get a big name player Rondo will move on.  At his age rebuilding is not an option and he is in his prime.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #722 on: April 16, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »
I too think there are positive signs but I am not as upbeat on Rondo as Reap is.  They have so many #1 draft picks that Ainge will be the gunslinger he is the next few years.  I also believe that if they don't get a big name player Rondo will move on.  At his age rebuilding is not an option and he is in his prime.

This is the one big unfortunate reality.

If Ainge drafts Wiggins or Emiid and/or he trades for a superstar like Love, it will be in both Rondo's and the Celtics' interest for him to resign.

If the Celtics don't make a big leap this off-season, they have a real problem.  If they don't trade Rondo, then they're forced to make a big trade in the 2015 off-season if they want to keep him, which isn't a smart risk to take.  In that case, you almost have to trade him in the 2014 - 2015 season.  That kind of desperation pushes his value down.

There are only two ways out of this:

1. Rondo becomes 2012 Eastern Conference finals Rondo again, which makes him good enough that free agents would actually want to come to Boston.  But that's also not a wise chance for the Celtics to take.  And even if he does find that level during the regular season, that means his trade value is high.  Better to do the sure thing and get assets for him than risk him walking in free agency.

2. Make a mid-season trade next year.  For example, the Wolves seem pretty adamant about not letting Love go.  Maybe by the trade deadline next year the signs he's leaving will become too obvious to ignore.

Ultimately, both Ainge and ownership have tough choices to make soon.  Ownership wants a quick rebuild, but it might not be feasible.  Also, while the high draft position this year is nice, the problem with having such a bad season is that no one's trade value is that spectacular.  The Celtics have a lot of good assets, but right now they'd all be sold below their potential value.

But whatever.  I'd rather be positive about it.  The Celtics have a lot of options, which is a good problem to have.
Over and over again

Offline j

« Reply #723 on: April 16, 2014, 04:51:02 PM »
Hey guys the Mavs are in.  Fuck yeah!

*slinks back into the shadows*

-J

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #724 on: April 16, 2014, 04:57:44 PM »
Always glad to see Dirk in the playoffs. Who will they play?

Offline j

« Reply #725 on: April 16, 2014, 05:01:33 PM »
It's looking like OKC I think, although if they lose to Memphis tonight they could end up playing the Spurs.

In other words, a likely first round exit regardless. :lol

-J

Offline T-ski

« Reply #726 on: April 16, 2014, 07:26:43 PM »
https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10790404/milwaukee-bucks-announce-sale-team

The Milwaukee Bucks will announce later Wednesday that longtime owner Herb Kohl has reached an agreement to sell the team to hedge-fund billionaires Wesley Edens and Marc Lasry for a purchase price of $550 million, according to sources familiar with the transaction.

Sources told ESPN.com that the deal, subject to league approval, will be confirmed in an afternoon news conference.

Kohl, the longtime U.S. senator, made keeping the team in Milwaukee a condition of the sale.

there is much rejoicing going on amongst the hundreds of Bucks fans everywhere! 

Seriously though, this is a really exciting time for the Bucks franchise.  It's like we've been given a re-boot.  New Owner, most likely new arena, gm, coach and add a good chance at the #1 pick in the draft this summer.  Hopefully they don't screw it up.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: April 17, 2014, 07:50:05 AM »
Playoffs are on! How about some predictions?

East:

Ind-Atl: 4-2
Chi-Was: 4-2
Tor-Bkn: 3-4
Mia-Cha: 4-0

West:

Sas-Dal: 4-1
Hou-Por: 4-2
Lac-Gsw: 2-4
Okc-Mem: 4-2

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #728 on: April 17, 2014, 09:51:13 AM »
Almost all of those western series are going to be fun and interesting to watch!

The Warriors vs. Clippers series, for example, the series hasn't even started; guys are already running their mouths. I expect to see some very physical plays in THAT series!

The Spurs / Mavs series, sure, I think the Spurs will eventually win it; but it WON'T be an easy first round series! I expect each game will be ultra close. Both teams have some match up nightmares for the other, and it will be a series all about who's going to our coach the other.

As for the Grizzlies / Thunder series, same thing, ultra close in each game; but I think Scotty Brooks is a slightly better coach than David Joerger at this point, although I really like the Grizzlies as of late.

Interestingly, the Blazers / Rockets series is the one series I care for the least among all of those western match ups.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #729 on: April 17, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »
Playoffs are on! How about some predictions?

East:

Ind-Atl: 4-2
Chi-Was: 4-2
Tor-Bkn: 3-4
Mia-Cha: 4-0

West:

Sas-Dal: 4-1
Hou-Por: 4-2
Lac-Gsw: 2-4
Okc-Mem: 4-2

Damn, Clippers out in the first round again? That would be so brutal :lol

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #730 on: April 17, 2014, 11:07:30 AM »
East:

Ind-Atl 4-3 (If Al Horford wasn't injured this would be a first round exit for The Pacers)

Chi-Was 4-2

Tor-Bkn 3-4 (Could easily go the other way, but Pierce and KG want Miami they won't lose before that)

Mia-Cha 4-1 (Big Al is going to go off in this series, but thats only good for maybe 1 win)

Ind-Chi 2-4 (Better coach and better team)

Mia-Bkn 4-2 (The Heat will continue their domination over Pierce and KG)

Mia-Chi 4-1 (Chicago wins the first game and Miami gentlemen sweeps them)

West:

Sas-Dal 4-2 (Should be a good series, but Duncan and the Spurs are on a mission this year)

Hou-Por 4-3 (Harden flops his way into the 2nd round)

Lac-Gsw 4-3 (Easily the best 1st round series, and it could end up being the best of series of the playoffs. If Gs still had Lee and Bogut they could probably win this, but without them BG is going to feast on Gs.)

Okc-Mem 4-1 (If Memphis still had Hollins this would go 7 because he can coach circles around Brooks)

Sas-Hou 4-2 (Harden and Manu will have a flopping competition of epic proportion.)

Okc-Lac 4-3 (Doc Rivers will out coach Brooks easily, but Brooks has Kevin Durant to bail him out)

Sas-Okc 4-3 (Regular season means nothing here nobody is stopping Tim Duncan from getting back to the Finals. Also Greg Popovich.)

Mia-Sas 4-3 (LeBron James)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #731 on: April 17, 2014, 03:32:05 PM »
I think people are underestimating the Raps' home-court advantage. I think it's going to give them the edge they need to "upset" the Nets.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #732 on: April 17, 2014, 03:53:02 PM »

Who is not the big factor that he was last season. If my Spurs and the Heat see each other again in the Finals, the Spurs will win. We've added strong pieces in Marco Belinelli, and Patty Mills is a very strong supporting player off the bench. Ginobli is playing better this season than he did last season, and he, Duncan, Parker, Leonard have unstoppable.

I'll the give the heat game 6 of last years playoffs because of a rare error from Coach Pop for sitting Duncan the last minute who was a rebounding machine that game. This year, that shit ain't gonna happen.

Go Spurs.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #733 on: April 17, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
My NBA over/under predictions from the beginning of the seasons:

Heat       - 60   - over  - wrong - I'm disappointed in myself.
Clippers   - 57   - over  - wrong - I didn’t think they’d take so long to pick up steam.
Bulls      - 56.5 - over  - wrong - So that happened...
Spurs      - 55.5 - over  - right - The Spurs machine rolls on.
Rockets    - 54.5 - over  - wrong - So close.
Pacers     - 53.5 - over  - right - Barely.
Nets       - 52.5 - over  - wrong - I thought they'd be who they are now from the beginning.
Thunder    - 50.5 - over  - right - Damn.

Warriors   - 49.5 - over  - right - Again, barely.
Knicks     - 49.5 - under - right - High fiving myself for this one.
Grizzlies  - 49   - under - wrong - Bravo to the Grizz.  Especially with Gasol's injury.
Nuggets    - 47   - under - right - Called it.
Mavericks  - 44   - under - wrong - Happy to be wrong here.
Wizards    - 42   - under - wrong - They rebounded really well.
Pistons    - 41   - over  - wrong - Embarassingly bad by me.
Wolves     - 41   - over  - wrong - You gotta finish tight games man.
Cavs       - 40.5 - over  - wrong - Not sure how I feel about this
Hawks      - 40   - under - right - I only got this because Horford went down.
Pelicans   - 40   - under - right - This team was hard to believe in.

Blazers    - 38.5 - under - wrong - Epicly wrong.
Raptors    - 36.5 - under - wrong - I won't blame myself for this.  They were terrible before they traded Gay.
Lakers     - 33.5 - under - right - Mmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmm
Kings      - 31.5 - under - right - Not much of an accomplishment.

Bucks      - 28.5 - under - right - Yeah!
Celtics    - 27.5 - over  - wrong - They were who Vegas thought they were
Bobcats    - 27.5 - under - wrong - Their coach turned out to be great.
Jazz       - 27.5 - under - right - I was saved here by Burke's early season injury.
Magic      - 24.5 - over  - wrong - Close, but not quite.
Suns       - 21.5 - under - wrong - lol

76ers      - 16.5 - under - wrong - Got killed by their three early season wins.

Right - 12
Wrong - 18

Terrible.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #734 on: April 17, 2014, 05:51:38 PM »
I think people are underestimating the Raps' home-court advantage. I think it's going to give them the edge they need to "upset" the Nets.

It's probably more of a case of no one ever talking about them, so everyone assumes they are easy pickings. 

Who is not the big factor that he was last season. If my Spurs and the Heat see each other again in the Finals, the Spurs will win. We've added strong pieces in Marco Belinelli, and Patty Mills is a very strong supporting player off the bench. Ginobli is playing better this season than he did last season, and he, Duncan, Parker, Leonard have unstoppable.

I'll the give the heat game 6 of last years playoffs because of a rare error from Coach Pop for sitting Duncan the last minute who was a rebounding machine that game. This year, that shit ain't gonna happen.

Go Spurs.

He's still the best player in the world, though (even if Durant will be the MVP).