Author Topic: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Adam Silver Lays the Pipe on Donald Sterling ©2014antigoon  (Read 114036 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Tim Lincecum Lays the Pipe on the Padres
« Reply #840 on: April 28, 2014, 12:53:28 PM »
I feel like over the years, I've strayed away from the Atlanta Hawks. I like Atlanta sports in general, but something about the Hawks just don't do it for me. I'm always a die hard Braves and Falcons fan, but the Hawks just don't have that same effect on me. I find it hard to be a fan of them when they don't keep anyone, I feel like they're always a transition city. Past 2 or 3 years, I've really liked the Trailblazers a lot, and I really want them to win it all this year.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #841 on: April 28, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »
Good read, and it is good to know Silver actually do have more power than I thought.

https://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10852199/challenge-donald-sterling
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline jammindude

« Reply #842 on: April 28, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »
I feel like over the years, I've strayed away from the Atlanta Hawks. I like Atlanta sports in general, but something about the Hawks just don't do it for me. I'm always a die hard Braves and Falcons fan, but the Hawks just don't have that same effect on me. I find it hard to be a fan of them when they don't keep anyone, I feel like they're always a transition city. Past 2 or 3 years, I've really liked the Trailblazers a lot, and I really want them to win it all this year.

What's up with the Flames and then the short lived Thrashers?    Has it been poor ownership situations?  Or does Atlanta just not support hockey?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #843 on: April 28, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »
Atlanta just isn't a good sports city period. It'll be interesting to see if their new MLS team they're getting survives.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #844 on: April 28, 2014, 06:21:55 PM »
Atlanta just isn't a good sports city period. It'll be interesting to see if their new MLS team they're getting survives.

This surprises me...because Braves fans are INSANE...

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #845 on: April 28, 2014, 06:40:34 PM »
Good read, and it is good to know Silver actually do have more power than I thought.

https://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10852199/challenge-donald-sterling

The thing is, to some extent, Silver's power is limited by the other owners.  The other owners apparently don't like Sterling, want him to sell the team, and believe he should be punished harshly for what he did.  But at some point, this is a leaked private statement.  The owners don't want the commissioner setting precedent for indefinite suspensions and forcing sale of the team.

Expect Sterling to be suspended from the playoffs, and 1 million dollar fine, and for Sterling/the other owners to try and push out Sterling through politics rather than brute force.

EDIT:  Um.... maybe I'm reading this wrong.  The Rockets owner is on record saying all the Clippers players should be made into free agents to drive Sterling out the league.  Maybe there's stronger anti-Sterling feeling from the owners than I thought.  We know what Jordan thinks (no place for his racism in the league, which means no place for him).

EDIT 2:  I'm starting to think Sterling won't own the team next season.  Clippers sponsors are dropping like crazy.  Heat protesting.  You know that, if Sterling sticks around, players are going to get more and more restless.  Apparently Sterling's GF has many more hours of tapes she can release.  Doc suggesting he might not coach the team next year (a semi-big deal if you understand how respected he is around the league).  This specific Sterling story might fade away because of the Internet's short attention span, but what happens when Sterling does something stupid again?  Why does the NBA want to go through yet another news cycle like this?  I suspect everyone involved is trying to figure out how to force him to sell.

EDIT 3: If Silver doesn't hand out an exceedingly harsh punishment tomorrow, 100% chance the Clippers boycott the game.

EDIT 4:  Saw a great point, surprisingly, in a Reddit comment - How can this not affect the upcoming national TV deals being negotiated by the league?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:19:38 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #846 on: April 28, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
I am loving this Atlanta lead mmmmmm

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #847 on: April 28, 2014, 10:37:42 PM »
So..... even though the Spurs won that game I don't feel totally good about them.

People talk about Pop's coaching this series, and I kinda know what they mean.  It felt like from a schematic standpoint the Mavs always had a bit of an edge.  It felt like the Mavs had more good looks that they just missed.

The biggest thing about Pop that I'm not understanding though is that he's just being too cute with these rotations.  In the regular season, it's perfect.  You try a lot of different lineups and rest your stars.  In the playoffs though, I don't see the rationale.  Why wasn't Parker put in until there were 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter?  Why was Duncan taken out with 5 minutes to go in the fourth?

The Spurs don't have the luxury here of thinking long term.  If they lost that game, they would have lost the series probably.  What was the upside of not playing those guys as many 4th quarter minutes as possible?
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #848 on: April 28, 2014, 10:44:05 PM »
Hawks Owner wants Sterling gone.

Paul Allen (Blazers owner) calls Sterling statements unacceptable.

I'm not saying these guys are acting purely out of the goodness of their heart, but I find it surprising that even from the owners themselves the reaction to Sterling is very harsh. 

Normally, in a situation like this, the owners would condemn Sterling only as much as they had to for PR purposes.  They'd pressure Silver to issue the minimum possible punishment necessary to placate the public reaction (playoff suspension and fine).  However much they hate Sterling, they don't want to empower the commissioner to act against them if they ever were to get in a controversy of their own.

In this case, the owners don't seem to care all that much.  There's a real, visceral hatred for Sterling here, even if it's just the owners acknowledging how people feel about it.  Apparently, the buzz is that Silver's going to drop the hammer really hard on Sterling.  Curious what he does.
Over and over again

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #849 on: April 28, 2014, 11:03:23 PM »
Word on the streets is no recess for a week and Fruit Rollups are gone indefinitely.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #850 on: April 28, 2014, 11:12:53 PM »
The Spurs are going to give me a stroke at age 27. Too close for comfort, but at least we secured the win.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #851 on: April 28, 2014, 11:25:06 PM »
NBA TV picked up an angry Pacers fan heckling at Paul George when he was complaining to the ref about a travel call. I don't blame the fan, and i agree 100% on what he said!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2044840-heckler-gets-all-over-paul-george-for-complaining-to-refs?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #852 on: April 28, 2014, 11:47:51 PM »
I can't wait for some website to do an oral history of this Pacers season.  I want to know so badly what caused them to fall apart like this.
Over and over again

Offline jammindude

« Reply #853 on: April 29, 2014, 12:04:28 AM »
I heard an NBA announcer say at one point, "This may be one of the most 'wide open' playoffs in NBA history"

I tend to agree.  I was just commenting to my wife how fun this years playoffs are.   I didn't follow the regular season at all...but I'm having an absolute BLAST watching the playoffs, and one of the #1 reasons is because there is not really an absolutely clear cut dominant team. 

There has been one sweep (Charlotte is out) but half of the original 8 series are tied at 2-2, and one of the other four just went to its fifth game and is 3-2.   Add to that, that there are several classic and iconic teams that are NOT in the playoffs this year.    Boston, New York, LA Lakers, Philly...all not in it.

This may be one of the funnest and most entertaining NBA playoffs I've ever seen.   I haven't been a fan since the Sonics left town...but this post season may have converted me.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #854 on: April 29, 2014, 12:50:48 AM »
Agreed with all of that. Shit's been a thrill ride all the way. I gotta say though that Philly hasn't been an iconic team since the early 80s though. AI breathed some life into them for a fleeting moment with that one finals loss to the Shaq/Kobe Lakers but otherwise they've been completely MIA amongst the NBA's elite since shortly before Dr. J's retirement.

Also, I really miss the Sonics. In a league whete the Bullets, Kings, Mavs, Clippers, Bucks, and Timberwolves could cling to life despite decades of futility in virtually all of their cases, it's nothing short of a crime that a big market franchise with multiple finals appearances, a title, and a run as good as they had as recently as the 90s Payton/Kemp/Schrempf days ended up being relocated.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:02:27 AM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #855 on: April 29, 2014, 01:18:57 AM »
Also, I really miss the Sonics. In a league whete the Bullets, Kings, Mavs, Clippers, Bucks, and Timberwolves could cling to life despite decades of futility in virtually all of their cases, it's nothing short of a crime that a big market franchise with multiple finals appearances, a title, and a run as good as they had as recently as the 90s Payton/Kemp/Schrempf days ended up being relocated.

UGH Such a good team! I am glad I got to see them play in San Antonio as a kid. Of course I was rooting for David Robinson and the Spurs, but man, when Kemp threw down, I went nuts. Best dunker in the history of the game.

Speaking of retro teams....Bobcats are no more. They are now the Charlotte Hornets! I really liked that team too. I believe I still have my Glen Rice jersey from days of childhood stocked up somewhere. If Charlotte can re-sign McRoberts and keep building around him, I think they can start something special.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:28:50 AM by Accelerando »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #856 on: April 29, 2014, 01:43:01 AM »
I miss the Hornets. Seriously, fuck that Pelicans name with every fiber of my being. Unquestionable bottom 10 team name out of all 4 major North Americam sports.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #857 on: April 29, 2014, 08:53:51 AM »
Agreed with all of that. Shit's been a thrill ride all the way. I gotta say though that Philly hasn't been an iconic team since the early 80s though. AI breathed some life into them for a fleeting moment with that one finals loss to the Shaq/Kobe Lakers but otherwise they've been completely MIA amongst the NBA's elite since shortly before Dr. J's retirement.

Don't forget Sam Perkins, Nate McMillian and Hersey Hawkins.   

I really do miss that team.   Even though everyone looks to the 93/94 team (the #1 seed that lost to the Nuggets) or the 95/96 team (that went all the way to the finals only to lose to the Bulls) it was the 92/93 season where I really feel we got robbed.     I feel like that was the younger, hungrier, scrapy-er version of the Kemp/Payton era.    Anyone who saw that 7 game series against the Suns in the conference finals KNOWS that we got robbed in Game 7.    The phantom fouls that were called in that game were just mind-boggling...and rumors began to circulate that the league wanted a Barkley/Jordan showdown in the finals...and would do anything to get it.   

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #858 on: April 29, 2014, 11:12:58 AM »
In a league whete the Bullets, Kings, Mavs, Clippers, Bucks, and Timberwolves could cling to life despite decades of futility in virtually all of their cases, it's nothing short of a crime that a big market franchise with multiple finals appearances, a title, and a run as good as they had as recently as the 90s Payton/Kemp/Schrempf days ended up being relocated.

Here's the thing though, the teams in tougher situations now (Kings, Wolves, Bucks, etc.) are able to hang on because of the Sonics fiasco.  Everyone knew Bennet wanted to move them to OKC, and Stern allowed it because he's such a corrupt person.  Because of how much bad PR the Sonics move generated, the NBA is going out of its way to make sure teams don't move.  Financially, there was no reason for the league not to move the Kings to Seattle, but they gave Sacramento every chance possible to keep them because they didn't want another Seattle>OKC situation.

Over and over again

• DT.net Member
« Reply #859 on: April 29, 2014, 11:40:43 AM »
Makes sense but it's a shitty way to go about it. I WANT MY JAZZ BACK!! I HAVE NO CHILDHOOD HOMETOWN BASKETBALL MEMORIES, LARRY O'BRIEN, YOU FUCKING CREEP!!!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #860 on: April 29, 2014, 12:11:35 PM »
So it looks like thanks to Orcus I'm not going to be the only one stating an unpopular opinion. Aren't people in this country still allowed to be racist assholes if they want? If people want to boycott the Clippers then so be it, although I think it's rather silly. Here's the problem, though, as far as I know his comments were surreptitiously recorded and never intended for public discourse. If he'd called a news conference to say that Magic Johnson was no longer welcome at Clipper's games then I'd have no problem with the league disciplining him. Hell, if people had overheard him at a restaurant making those comments then they'd have a case. This seems to me to be more akin to a thought crime, though. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure a world where you can be financially and publicly destroyed for an opinion you provide to somebody in confidence is one that we'd be better for living in. You think LeBron and Doc rivers would want to be held up for every single thing they say to their homies in private? I guarantee you there's a whole lot more venomous racism than Sterling's remarks floating around in the NBA.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #861 on: April 29, 2014, 12:11:58 PM »
The real question is whether Donald Sterling or the Indiana Pacers are having a worse postseason.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #862 on: April 29, 2014, 12:16:35 PM »
So it looks like thanks to Orcus I'm not going to be the only one stating an unpopular opinion. Aren't people in this country still allowed to be racist assholes if they want? If people want to boycott the Clippers then so be it, although I think it's rather silly. Here's the problem, though, as far as I know his comments were surreptitiously recorded and never intended for public discourse. If he'd called a news conference to say that Magic Johnson was no longer welcome at Clipper's games then I'd have no problem with the league disciplining him. Hell, if people had overheard him at a restaurant making those comments then they'd have a case. This seems to me to be more akin to a thought crime, though. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure a world where you can be financially and publicly destroyed for an opinion you provide to somebody in confidence is one that we'd be better for living in. You think LeBron and Doc rivers would want to be held up for every single thing they say to their homies in private? I guarantee you there's a whole lot more venomous racism than Sterling's remarks floating around in the NBA.

Interesting, too, is that it is apparently illegal to secretly record someone in the state of California, so Sterling, on his way down, could ruin his mistress by having her arrested, suing her, whatever.  Granted, I am sure the NAACP would be more than happy to come to her aid monetarily, but it is something that could happen.

And that is another interesting thing: why was the NAACP giving this clown an award, his SECOND, next month, when he was been a well-known racist for YEARS?  Oh, let me guess: $$$.

Either way, this guy has to go.  To say the public tide has already turned against him would be the understatement of the century.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #863 on: April 29, 2014, 12:17:51 PM »
Holy shit! Silver just banned Sterling FOR LIFE, fined him 2.5 million and plans to FORCE him to sell the Clippers! Damn!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #864 on: April 29, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »
Banned for life.  Wow. 

Should be interesting to see if Sterling fights it.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #865 on: April 29, 2014, 12:21:18 PM »
Any links? All I can find is possibilities about that or other outcomes.
I'd like to read more because that'd be a fun read  :biggrin:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #866 on: April 29, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
Holy shit! Silver just banned Sterling FOR LIFE, fined him 2.5 million and plans to FORCE him to sell the Clippers! Damn!
For comments made in private that were illegally recorded. I got a real problem with that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DT.net Member
« Reply #867 on: April 29, 2014, 12:23:02 PM »
Live press conference on ESPN right now. The ban, attempt to force sale, and $2.5M fine are all legit, Dyl.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #868 on: April 29, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
ESPN is showing the Silver press conference.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #869 on: April 29, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »
Live press conference on ESPN right now. The ban, attempt to force sale, and $2.5M fine are all legit, Dyl.
Doooooooooooooooooooope  :metal

Wasn't doubting btw, just wanted to know if I could read about it somewhere.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: April 29, 2014, 12:25:30 PM »
I heard/read somewhere that Sterling was aware of the recording. Cannot recall source, take at face value.

Has recoding one's own conversations ever benefitted anyone in the history of recording technology? Who is out there going "I think I want to listen to that call I had with Bob from last September 21st."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #871 on: April 29, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »
Adam Silver said Sterling admitted to being him in the recording, haven't heard anything about him being aware though.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #872 on: April 29, 2014, 12:27:40 PM »
Has recoding one's own conversations ever benefitted anyone in the history of recording technology? Who is out there going "I think I want to listen to that call I had with Bob from last September 21st."
Women who want to extort money from the filthy stinking rich boyfriends. By all accounts the woman was a real cunt, and maybe it's just me be a spiteful old bastard, but I'd spend as much of the $800 million the Clippers will net making sure that she's destroyed.

edit: and California is a two-party state.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #873 on: April 29, 2014, 12:48:23 PM »
For comments made in private that were illegally recorded. I got a real problem with that.

Not exactly.

Apparently, like Chris said, Sterling knew the recording existed.  So right there that's a huge point for Sterling that doesn't count.

The bigger issue is that this is about who Sterling is.

If this recording came out, but it was Peter Holt (owner of the Spurs, one of the most respected owners in the league), this would be dealt with severely, but there would be no impetus to kick him out of the league.  The consensus would be the Holt is allowed to be a racist on his own time as long as he does his job as owner right.

Sterling is:
 - Incompetent as an owner.  The team is good now for reasons that have virtually nothing to do with him.
 - Someone who brings racism to his business dealings.  Rumor has it he didn't want to trade for J.J. Reddick because he didn't want to give a white player a 7 million dollar contract.  He's had two housing discrimination lawsuits filed against him.
 - Generally a scumbag.  His dealings with women are just as bad as his dealings with race.

Also, as much as I'd prefer it not be this way, a lot of what allows humanity to be what it is is less rational than symbolic.  FDR's new deal policies were mostly garbage, but it was more important that the government be firmly pro-worker and anti-business.  Lincoln's rationale for not letting the South secede was completely wrong, but it was more important that governments not be allowed to be divided based on racism.

This is the case here.  What Silver's doing with Sterling is problematic, but it has to be done.  This isn't dishonest (like the NSA spying).  This isn't further empowering the powerful at the expense of the average person (the bank bailouts).

An unrepentant, openly racist person owns an NBA team.  In a modern society, this simply can't be.

Finally, if you want to make a more practical argument - Sterling was stupid enough to record himself saying things on the phone with a booty call.  How could he have not expected this to happen unless he's too stupid to be responsible for owning an NBA team?  His actions are responsible for the NBA losing tons of money and experiencing tons of bad PR.  In a pure business sense, Sterling is a catastrophic liability for the league.  People are dissatisfied that the Clipper didn't boycott game 4, but they missed the longer game.  The Clippers team was waiting to play that card until they saw what Silver did.  If Silver didn't drop the nuclear option on Sterling, the Clippers would have called the punishment unsatisfactory and walked out.

When you're doing so bad a job owning your team that you have to worry about your players boycotting your games, you have to be kicked out of the league.

Silver can't be given enough credit for handling this the right way.
Over and over again

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #874 on: April 29, 2014, 12:56:28 PM »
I know I posted here that it would've been awesome had the Clippers boycotted Game 4, but the more I think about the more I'm glad they didn't (if you watched that game you could argued that they definitely didn't show up :lol ).

But the players have to play for themselves and the fans, the reason they're this good is because of David Stern and not Sterling, certainly not because of Doc Rivers moves (yeah, let's trade for Redick and Dudley in a team already full of 3-point shooters and waste the, always juicy, expiring contract on them), so they should play and try to win. They should just wear the blue "Los Angeles" jersey the rest of the playoffs as their form of protest.