Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 645841 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #6685 on: May 03, 2019, 10:54:58 AM »
Did they already have a "truce" or whatever with the NK from long ago? First, they did not portray him as someone who could even do that, second, if he could do it once, seems like it would make a bit more sense than killing him the way they did.

The show hasn't shown any other side to the Night King besides being a zombie essentially, so I doubt it, there is some hope in the books to there being more.  This Truce you speak of is a big fan theory, but it may just be nothing in the end like the show.

Huh. I could have sworn the show mentioned it, but I might be wrong.

Also if he's just a zombie, then how did he make whatever deal with Craster? I doubt that dude just randomly started leaving babies out and the Wights just were like "well....guess we keep him alive?" Feels like some level of organization and communication had to go into that set up.

That's one of the things I would like an answer to, as well. I read a while ago that in the books there's a suggestion that the Night's King made offerings/sacrifices to the Others (White Walkers) but I don't think that's definitive, and I don't believe they ever gave a real explanation in the show. Hm...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #6686 on: May 03, 2019, 10:57:45 AM »
- Have Winterfell perfectly walled up and defended during a siege; the heroes realize the battle is lost and that they should run away. It has been estabilished there are secrets passages out of Winterfell and Yara conquered the Iron Islands back as a fall back point in case Winterfell was lost, that looked like foreshadowing. Have the survivors regroup there and form a plan to go back to a now fully conquered Westeros and destroy the Night King once and for all. That would have somehow explained the vision of Dany walking in a destroyed and snowy throne hall - they eventually reach King's Landing and she ponders "so this is what I wanted all my life.. and look what happened, a long gone menace came back and destroyed the world as we knew it, how naive I was and how silly everyone were to fight for a chair", that sort of thing.

Random thought. Don't remember all the details of the show that well, but here it goes. Isn't winter coming south irregardless of the White Walkers? Perhaps your idea of how it could have ended for Danny (the destroyed snowy hall, wondering why she cared so much about a chair, etc.) is still possible.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6687 on: May 03, 2019, 10:57:52 AM »
Well, this just goes back to my big issue with the show that started in S8E2 when Bran said what the Night King wants and it pretty much just made all the other references to more to them meaningless if he only wanted to kill everyone.  I even brought up the scene with Crasters baby and how the WW took it to the land of always winter.  WTF is that all about. I guess we won't know until HBO does the prequel series about the long night.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6688 on: May 03, 2019, 11:04:09 AM »
One more thing. So I know the show has never said anything about this, and it's all just speculation on my part. But I always had the impression that the NK had some kind of foresight. When Dany came with the dragons, he seemed VERY prepared for such a random and unpredictable (to him) event. Dude had spears ready to go and even had the chains necessary to drag the dragon out of the water. So I'm left to believe that either A) He just carries those chains with him that serve virtually no other purpose, or B) Was able to see all of this happen and was prepared well ahead of time. If it's B, then his death makes even less sense to me.

Given how the show played with time in season 7, and in that episode in particular, I don't see why the chains are such a big deal.  A dead dragon in the water isn't going anywhere and they could have come back with the chains.  White walkers also routinely carry spears. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6689 on: May 03, 2019, 11:06:19 AM »
Isn't winter coming south irregardless of the White Walkers? Perhaps your idea of how it could have ended for Danny (the destroyed snowy hall, wondering why she cared so much about a chair, etc.) is still possible.

I'm not sure if that's true or not though?  It looked like the skies cleared after the battle and it was sunny, but that can still happen in winter so wasn't sure if that's just "the night kings cloud is clear" or "winter has stopped".  I'm sure we will find out soon enough though.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6690 on: May 03, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »
And now, speaking of expectations not met... remember what the Three Eyed Raven said to Bran? "you will never walk again, but you will fly". Basically everyone creamed their pants in anticipation, "OMG OMG Bran's gonna warg into a dragon!!!".... I suddenly realized that he did warg more than once into ravens, so he already flew  :facepalm: :biggrin:

I mean, it's entirely possible that he WILL warg into a dragon, for example Dany's Drogon in the even she goes off the rails, but he did fly already so I won't hold my breath for him warging into a dragon like if it was "promised".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6691 on: May 03, 2019, 11:44:37 AM »
One more thing. So I know the show has never said anything about this, and it's all just speculation on my part. But I always had the impression that the NK had some kind of foresight. When Dany came with the dragons, he seemed VERY prepared for such a random and unpredictable (to him) event. Dude had spears ready to go and even had the chains necessary to drag the dragon out of the water. So I'm left to believe that either A) He just carries those chains with him that serve virtually no other purpose, or B) Was able to see all of this happen and was prepared well ahead of time. If it's B, then his death makes even less sense to me.

Given how the show played with time in season 7, and in that episode in particular, I don't see why the chains are such a big deal.  A dead dragon in the water isn't going anywhere and they could have come back with the chains.  White walkers also routinely carry spears.

I didn't say it was such a big deal. But we can still talk about it as something...odd. You can make reasons to explain almost anything. But the show, itself, did not do any of that. In the show, they just had giant chains at the ready. But this was more about NK having foresight. Which would have made that scene make sense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6692 on: May 03, 2019, 12:40:29 PM »
I am still baffled as to what some expected last week.

There were two options:

1) The Night King wins the battle, meaning all of the living are killed (unless a few scamper south when faced with the inevitable). 

2) The living win the battle, and the only way for them to win was to kill the Night King.

Did some really want to see the Night King win, everyone in the North dead, and for the army of the dead to then march north and do the same to the south?  Yeah, that would have been a real exciting finish to the series. :tdwn :tdwn
I'm baffled as to why you think those were the only two options.

Because in a war (especially one that is clearly to the death), you win or you lose.  Two options.

I am still baffled as to what some expected last week.

There were two options:

1) The Night King wins the battle, meaning all of the living are killed (unless a few scamper south when faced with the inevitable). 

2) The living win the battle, and the only way for them to win was to kill the Night King.

Did some really want to see the Night King win, everyone in the North dead, and for the army of the dead to then march north and do the same to the south?  Yeah, that would have been a real exciting finish to the series. :tdwn :tdwn

I say the following as a person who liked 8:3 and had no expectations going into it (I never create expectations as to what will happen in a movie or TV show):

There's something of a middle ground between those two options.  It would not have been crazy to imagine a more drawn out battle in which it becomes obvious that the NK would win and many of the main characters retreat south (including JS and DT on their dragons).  That could have set up a subsequent conflict in which the main characters and the remains of the northern armies are caught in the middle between the Lannister forces and the army of the dead.

I don't think it would have been in Jon Snow's character to abandon the north and head south on a dragon while leaving whomever was still alive to be wiped out by the Night King.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6693 on: May 03, 2019, 12:43:17 PM »
I agree. Hell he stayed on the ground north of the wall just to keep killing wights and make way toward the Night King when he could've just got on the dragon with everybody else and fled. That's totally not Jon's character.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6694 on: May 03, 2019, 12:44:57 PM »
The cast is really starting to hype the next 3 episodes.  Either they are doing damage control or a lot of crazy stuff is going to go down over the next 3 weeks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6695 on: May 03, 2019, 12:54:16 PM »
Apparently episode 5 is even "bigger" than 3.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6696 on: May 03, 2019, 01:01:20 PM »
Apparently episode 5 is even "bigger" than 3.

I've been saying to co-workers and family that 'most' of what we knew about this season had to do with the first three episodes. They've kept a pretty tight grip on info. about the final three. It was reported that they built a bunch of Kingslanding sets...a giant one...rather than film at the location (in Spain?) that they typically did.

You'd have to imagine that we're getting another battle sequence in there. I think the hub bub about 'The Long Night' battle sequence was the duration of the filming and the fact that it was filmed all at night....and 'beat' the Helms Deep time of continual battle.

But...the 'final' battle between the forces left should still be a sight to see.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6697 on: May 03, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »
I'm just curious what could make that battle so big. Who's going to be fighting in it? As discussed before, there's not a whole lot left of the North or anyone that fought with it. The Dothroki are basically gone. I can't imagine there are many unsullied left. What's going to make that battle so big?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6698 on: May 03, 2019, 01:27:51 PM »
I'm just curious what could make that battle so big. Who's going to be fighting in it? As discussed before, there's not a whole lot left of the North or anyone that fought with it. The Dothroki are basically gone. I can't imagine there are many unsullied left. What's going to make that battle so big?

Time will tell, but whatever it is, I am sure someone will post about it to complain.  :lol :lol

Seriously, the amount of bitching about this show since Sunday is comical to me.  I get, we nit pick what we love the most, but some people need to chill a bit and just enjoy the show.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6699 on: May 03, 2019, 01:33:18 PM »
Let's be generous and assume Yara shows up somehow with a small number of forces. Let's also assume there are houses south of Winterfell that belong to the North who may finally lend their support now that Dany helped them destroy the army of the dead. Then maybe a couple thousand Unsullied left - they're celebrating and preparing for war very quickly so I just assume a sizeable number of Unsullied remain. So I guess there's that, but still it's a good question. For Cersei there's the army of King's Landing and the Golden Company, and... um. Does Cersei have ANY allies left?

I hope the last battle takes place in daylight. The real Lightbringer is going to be the sun.  :lol

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6700 on: May 03, 2019, 01:35:50 PM »
Did they already have a "truce" or whatever with the NK from long ago? First, they did not portray him as someone who could even do that, second, if he could do it once, seems like it would make a bit more sense than killing him the way they did.

The show hasn't shown any other side to the Night King besides being a zombie essentially, so I doubt it, there is some hope in the books to there being more.  This Truce you speak of is a big fan theory, but it may just be nothing in the end like the show.

Huh. I could have sworn the show mentioned it, but I might be wrong.

Also if he's just a zombie, then how did he make whatever deal with Craster? I doubt that dude just randomly started leaving babies out and the Wights just were like "well....guess we keep him alive?" Feels like some level of organization and communication had to go into that set up. 

This is a question that comes as much from my interpretation of the books as well as from the show, there is no concrete evidence for Craster's communication with the Others or lack thereof so people might have different opinions.

But, for myself I absolutely do not believe that Craster and the Others had a literal "deal" in the same way two sets of people have a deal. I think that there was some sort of "understanding" between the two sides but it was very asymmetrical. As far as Craster was concerned, he was sacrificing his sons to "the gods" (as he himself called them) and he and his home were protected, somehow. As far as the Others were concerned, they had a source of newly born children that they can transform into White Walkers - whether they can do it with any children or there's something special about Craster or the nature of their "arrangement", we don't know. But I would be absolutely shocked if there was ever some moment where an Other came and spoke to Craster and they drew up some sort of contract or sealed a pact in words. I don't believe Craster really knows what's happening or understands the significance of it. I actually think he did stumble upon the arrangement, perhaps from his own ancestors whoever they were. Or if he was influenced to do it, it would be through something indirect like dreams or a vision, rather than an Other coming and pitching him the idea. I think that's exactly in line with the way that Martin treats magic and mysticism in his books; magic in the world of Ice and Fire isn't usually a sort of "Functional Magic", where you can know the components or the words to cast a spell and achieve something very specific. Certainly not when it comes to the big things. That's one of the reasons there are so many mysterious things at work in the series - it's also the reason I think a lot of fan's attempts to "explain" them in a more rigorous, pseudo-scientific way are misguided. It's like trying to work out whether in order for Daenerys to hatch the dragons it absolutely had to be the pyre a dead Khal you were married to and a maegi learned in blood magic screaming as she burned around the time a red comet appeared in the sky. I think in the world of GRRM, all of that mattered, but not because it's some formula that can be applied. The nature of magic is more along the line of miracles - it's unique to the circumstances and not something that can be easily explained.

But, like I said the books or show don't go into any detail either way on Craster's "arrangement" (in the books it's not even confirmed the Others are taking the babies and turning them), so other fan's can have their own opinions.

I think the Night King definitely has some sort of foresight, or greenseer like ability. The fact he is able to interact with Bran in a vision, and detect Bran watching him through ravens, suggests this. As do the events of Beyond the Wall. Personally, I think the chains aren't really that big a focus - one thing that has been consistent from beginning to end, even through the Long Night, is that the White Walkers are a much more organised and competent force than most give them credit for (not spotting Arya rushing the Night King aside). Getting ahold of big chains shouldn't be considered that big a deal for them, and even though Viserion was hauled out of the lake at the end of the episode that doesn't mean it happened straight after, it could have been hours or days or [insert however long needed to go fetch chains] later. But since I think they did predict the coming of the dragon they could have made arrangements to have the chains closeby. I think the fact they predicted it is shown more by the way they trapped them on the frozen lake and waited, and the way the Night King reacted to the arrival of the dragons.

However, even for the likes of Bran, Melisandre and others, seeing the future isn't always clear. Bran can see view the past and things that are going on in the present with some control, but from what we've seen he only gets some visions of the future and hasn't been shown to be able to control or choose what he sees. If the Night King is similar, then just because he has some measure of "sight" doesn't mean he should know everything that's going to happen.

My interpretation though was that when the Night King came to kill Bran and Bran was just waiting for him doing nothing, they were essentially having a "vision-off" - Bran knew or sensed that the Night King would die there and the Night King didn't know or couldn't see it. That's why he had that curious look when he got to Bran. So basically if the Night King did have some sort of foresight, Bran's foresight "beat" his (because Arya was somehow able to get past all the White Walkers, which many people find questionable, but I think that's the general idea).

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6701 on: May 03, 2019, 01:39:17 PM »
Is there any chance Bran can also raise the dead and take that army south on behalf of the North?

Online Adami

« Reply #6702 on: May 03, 2019, 01:49:31 PM »
I hope Cersei gives birth to a wight (who cares how) who looks at her with his cold blue baby eyes and raises all the dead everywhere who kill everyone and then the baby kills Cersei and then he becomes king. A little infant baby night king.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6703 on: May 03, 2019, 01:56:25 PM »

I still think that Dario and the Second Sons will make an appearance. He loves Dany and would find a way to get across the sea to help her....especially if he had heard (which he most likely would have) that the Golden Company had been hired by Cersi.

Heck....I wouldn't put it past him to have had the Second Sons have joined the Golden Company just to get across the Narrow Sea to fight for Dany.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6704 on: May 03, 2019, 01:56:57 PM »
Seriously, the amount of bitching about this show since Sunday is comical to me.  I get, we nit pick what we love the most, but some people need to chill a bit and just enjoy the show.

QFT

Online Adami

« Reply #6705 on: May 03, 2019, 01:58:03 PM »
Pics from next episode showed a decently large fleet of ships with the Targarian flag.

Not sure if it's the Greyjoy fleet or something else. But I assume that will be her new army.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6706 on: May 03, 2019, 02:04:39 PM »
That makes sense plus .....Dragons.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6707 on: May 03, 2019, 03:55:41 PM »
I like a description of Bran that I have read: that he was handed Wikipedia set in a different language, and that he's trying to figure out how it all works. By now he must have figured out how to change the settings, but he's obviously overwhelmed by all the pages he had to read and probably still has to read.

About the final showdown.... very unkilely, but a part of me hopes that Euron talks Cersei into taking advantage of the fact that the North now is weakened and licking its icy wounds, and that now it's time to strike, and so leads the Lannister army and the Golden Company into an invasion of the North which turns out as brilliantly as the Nazi invasion of Russia in winter turned out. That would level the playing field.

Maybe Dany just goes "ah, fuck it" and turns up the Fire and Blood mode and goes to burn King's Landing, which will cause problems with Jon.

If there's gonna be a sea battle, we'll have to forget that the Iron Islands are on one side of Westeros and King's Landing on the other, and we'll have to accept that Yara circumnavigated down to Dorne and all the way back up to the capital. As long as enough time passes, that won't be an issue.

Other random speculations... Sansa - Tyrion are being shown as a possible "couple" again.... maybe they'll be together in the end, but if that happens, most likely it's because Tyrion won't have a queen to serve anymore. Ouch.

Oh, and given the penchant for shock moments of the authors, I'd expect that the crossbow becomes Chekov's crossbow, and that it will be the weapon which will kill Cersei. Most likely shot suddenly by someone we don't expect to, and that will have us wondering how the hell he/she could have gotten that shot and where they were up until then but it will somehow look plausible because it will appear so awesome. Let's not forget that the "Valonqar" part of the prophecy to Cersei was NOT shown in the cold opening of Season 5, so as far as the show goes, Cersei was never told the "little brother" will kill her, so let's not take it for granted that Jaimie will kill her (also, what will Jaimie do now? "Ok guys, it's been a pleasure to fight alongside you, guess I'll go back to Cersei and plan to defeat you"?).

Also, apparently many fans want a "Cleganebowl", so there's totally gonna be this other fan service of the Hound killing the Mountain (Oberyn Martell sends his regards).

And I bet people in the North will be too much shell shocked to react to that, but it'd be funny if someone would ask Dany "Ok, thanks for burning thousands of wights but THE HELL was the ice dragon and HOW IN THE SEVEN HELLS did the Night King get it?"  :lol (to which Jon should have to explain his brilliant plan of showing a wight to someone that ultimely didn't give a damn about it)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6708 on: May 03, 2019, 04:01:14 PM »
Took this shot of JR in Austin on Wednesday:

I guess we know where his loyalties are heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6709 on: May 03, 2019, 05:24:29 PM »
Is there any chance Bran can also raise the dead and take that army south on behalf of the North?

One theory I was thinking about, which I dont think would happen, is that since the north is decimated, bran would purposely sacrifice himself and take dragonglass to the heart on the weirwood tree to resurrect the dead for their army against the south. Doing this purposefully and "knowing" he wouldnt be ultimately bad but in the end he would either let someone kill him to kill his army after they won, or he would ban himself to the land of always winter for thousands of years until he changes his mind.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6710 on: May 03, 2019, 05:29:28 PM »

One theory I was thinking about, which I dont think would happen, is that since the north is decimated, bran would purposely sacrifice himself and take dragonglass to the heart on the weirwood tree to resurrect the dead for their army against the south. Doing this purposefully and "knowing" he wouldnt be ultimately bad but in the end he would either let someone kill him to kill his army after they won, or he would ban himself to the land of always winter for thousands of years until he changes his mind.

That would be awesome, and in fact, look what I just found on IGN:

During an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Jimmy asked if we are for sure done with the White Walkers after the events of “The Long Night,” and Benioff responded, “Yeah, we’re not going to answer that.”

I hope they're not just trying to build up suspense and mystery because I called something very similar on Monday and damn it I want to be right :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6711 on: May 03, 2019, 05:34:14 PM »
Yup, that stems from the ideas I read (yours too) about the night king not being over

Online Adami

« Reply #6712 on: May 03, 2019, 05:40:58 PM »

I hate how good that actually is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #6713 on: May 03, 2019, 06:20:14 PM »
I actually started thinking about that more. Still think it would be a sweet ending. (Though I'm not sure who he'd raise since they burn the bodies next episode)

But I started thinking "WOahhhhhh what if that's the other Night King's origin? A three eyed raven who turned to help the COTF and then slowly went mad and turned on them" but then I realized they already showed us the first Night King and he was turned against his will. Still, that would have been cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #6714 on: May 05, 2019, 05:13:32 PM »
Not too long now til an episode that will be SOOOOO huge that the cast doesn't mention it and only talks about episode 5.

WHO'S PUMPED?!?!?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6715 on: May 05, 2019, 05:39:47 PM »
 :corn im pretty excited and hopeful they have some good story telling to do this episode

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6716 on: May 05, 2019, 05:45:21 PM »
Sipping on rum and cokes and watching the battle yet again. Ready for some colors  :corn

Online Adami

« Reply #6717 on: May 05, 2019, 06:10:44 PM »
Bets on Yara showing up with elephants?

I also think Cersei should have robot dragons.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6718 on: May 05, 2019, 06:13:47 PM »
Not too long now til an episode that will be SOOOOO huge that the cast doesn't mention it and only talks about episode 5.

WHO'S PUMPED?!?!?
:lol

Rewatched Episode 1-3 earlier. Actually enjoyed the battle episode more rather than less (and was still able to see things just as clearly even though it was kind of awkward daylight lighting rather than 2am with the lights off. Guess it was just fine on my TV). The Night King's actual death scene isn't quite the same without the tension of wondering what's going to happen (though I'm still fine with Arya doing it, her story in the episode actually set it up very well), but I enjoyed a lot of the earlier battle just as much or more without being in that intense "what's going to happen next" style of viewing. I thought it might seem worse in the light of day given all the complaints about the tactics and characters surviving too long while surrounded but if anything that part of it wasn't even as bad as I remembered (except a handful of instances).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6719 on: May 05, 2019, 08:23:27 PM »
That episode rocked. OMG. SPOILERS obviously:

I can't believe Rhaegal went down like that. I was expecting it next episode. That last bolt went right through his neck, omg. There were a lot of great acting performances here. Tormund was funny. Dany's rage was palpable. That last scene in front of King's Landing was fantastic in my opinion. Lena Headey was awesome.