Author Topic: Eclipse 2024 v. WHERE THE F*CK DID THE SUN GO??! ??  (Read 932 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Eclipse 2024 v. WHERE THE F*CK DID THE SUN GO??! ??
« on: April 08, 2024, 06:47:42 AM »
OK... Who's in the path? Who traveled to the path? Who's getting cock-blocked by clouds?

Were getting a lame 30% here, so let me live vicariously.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Eclipse 2024 v. WHERE THE F*CK DID THE SUN GO??! ??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 06:50:09 AM »
I'll have perfectly clear skies and 92.5% coverage where I'm at.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 06:53:39 AM »
Travelled just under 300 miles and currently we have clear skies. It's a little unclear but high clouds might roll in around the time of the eclipse. Should be interesting
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 06:56:06 AM »
I'll have perfectly clear skies and 92.5% coverage where I'm at.

I'm surprised with how much of a science geek you are that you didn't make the trip? For you it's just an hour or two, isn't it?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 06:58:04 AM »
94.9% from where I live.

We saw the ring of fire in 2017. It was glorious! All I could think of was Christopher Columbus.....

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 07:17:56 AM »
I'm surprised with how much of a science geek you are that you didn't make the trip? For you it's just an hour or two, isn't it?

Yeah, but with the traffic, that hour or 2 could become 10+. I'm also leaving for Vegas next week, and I didn't want to burn through too much PTO this early in the year. I like to hoard it for summer and Q4. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 07:21:41 AM »
I’m across the state (MO) from where its path is for work so I’ll just see whatever partial it is. The last one in 2017 was directly over us and my work three a huge BBQ…..had the families come…..it was cool.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline romdrums

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 07:34:50 AM »
I'm just north of the path of totality. I think we're still expecting something like 99.8% blackout.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 08:00:36 AM »
I'm near Chino (a little north, so maybe 0.1% more totality! :) :) :)) so that's good enough for me.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 08:32:56 AM »
I'll be completely socked in for it. I planned to take today off to drive someplace cool, but the only place that gave me particularly good odds was well into Arkansas. A four hour drive that could easily turn to 12 (not to mention killer storms on the drive back). It's actually quite impressive what a ballbreaker God's being today. A huge swath of clouds that shadows the path of totality, only for the few hours in which it's happening. Thirty minutes after it passes here the clouds will clear out here in Dallas.

Thankfully, I drove out to KT for the last one in 2017 precisely for this reason. I'd love to see this one, but having seen another relatively recently takes a lot of the sting off of it.  For the one in '77 my 3rd grade teacher forgot to take us outside for it, so I was hellbent to catch at least one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 09:09:31 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm actually in 100% totality, but pretty damned close to being right on the centre line.

Overcast here at the moment (11am).  It's going to be touch and go, as the forecast is a mix of sun/cloud all day.  Hopefully it's mostly clear skies between 2-4.  Yesterday's weather was preferred - blue skies all day long.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 09:11:50 AM »
I think I'm the one guy that doesn't care all that much about it, but I like seeing everyone else excited about it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online HOF

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 10:58:22 AM »
It's interesting to me, but I'm not going out of my way to see it or anything. The last major one in 2017 I had a co-worker who shared some cheap eclipse glasses with me and I took a quick peak but I don't think they were really any good and I had a spot on my eye for a bit. I'll wait for the images from the professionals this time. It's raining here anyway.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 11:30:49 AM »
I think I'm the one guy that doesn't care all that much about it, but I like seeing everyone else excited about it.
Just curious, but have you seen one before? It's actually a lot more dramatic than you expect it to be.

Sun's out right now in Dallas. With a little luck it might stay that way.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 11:52:29 AM »
I was too lazy to go find glasses, and by Saturday, they were a hot commodity.  I'll watch from (inside) my house - in Chicago, we're supposed to get 90% to 95% totality.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 12:37:19 PM by Grappler »

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2024, 12:10:44 PM »
I think we are getting something like 82% where I am. I'm kind of regretting not taking the drive to see totality.

Online HOF

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 12:11:15 PM »
Watching it happen in Mexico on the NASA live feed. It is pretty cool, but this is also a much better view that you can get with glasses and your naked eyes.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2024, 12:29:02 PM »
Some high clouds right now, but sun still visible so we should be good. Partial started 15 mins ago  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2024, 12:46:43 PM »
Just curious, but have you seen one before? It's actually a lot more dramatic than you expect it to be.
Yeah, I have, but not 100% totality.

Of course, it's only going to be 78% here, but hey, that's nothing to sneeze at.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2024, 12:58:18 PM »
Yeah, I have, but not 100% totality.

Of course, it's only going to be 78% here, but hey, that's nothing to sneeze at.
When you get that 100% totality you look at it without the glasses on and it's a giant flaming hole in the goddamned sky. Like I said, it's really dramatic. Even 99.9 is too bright too see without glasses, unfortunately. That was the annular eclipse last fall. Totality really is something different.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2024, 01:02:46 PM »
When you get that 100% totality you look at it without the glasses on and it's a giant flaming hole in the goddamned sky. Like I said, it's really dramatic. Even 99.9 is too bright too see without glasses, unfortunately. That was the annular eclipse last fall. Totality really is something different.
:tup

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2024, 01:19:08 PM »
Dallas actually did alright. There was enough high level cloud cover to filter it a bit, and low level clouds were coming and going, but we got a couple of minutes of good totality. Looks like I made the right call to stay at work rather than hit the road somewhere.

While I did get a few minutes of unadulterated totality, like the annular eclipse, the clouds actually made for far more interesting photography. Not my best effort, but cool nonetheless.

E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2024, 01:19:47 PM »
That looks great, we have clear skies here but only 60% totality.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2024, 01:36:26 PM »
That's a great pic, Bart!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2024, 01:37:25 PM »
That's an awesome pic!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2024, 01:53:13 PM »
Love that picture!

Where I was it got a little dim - like it was an hour before dusk we were about to get a down pour or something (thanks Chino!) - the crickets came out for about four minutes, then back to normal. 

EDIT: Brian had a better way of describing it.  That's EXACTLY what it was like.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2024, 01:55:21 PM »
Love that picture!

Where I was it got a little dim - like it was an hour before dusk or something - the crickets came out for about four minutes, then back to normal.

It looked like we were about to get a heavy downpour where I'm at in Waterbury. Light cloud cover came in about 15 minutes before totality, but they got out of the way a bit about 4 minutes after peak. I still ended up getting a cool view through my glasses.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2024, 01:57:11 PM »
Total lunch bag letdown here.  Totality was from 3:18ET to 3:22ET, and we only got a few gaps in the clouds between 2:00-3:10.  After that, total cloud cover (and still now - not a sliver of anything visible.  Like Bill said, it was neat seeing Mother Nature hit the dimmer switch, and everything went to dusk within like 30 seconds - all my solar night lights came on, and it was like 9pm for 4 minutes, then the same in reverse.  Kinda neat, but otherwise this "once in a lifetime" event was a dud.  Yesterday's weather would've been fucking dope.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2024, 02:10:05 PM »
I would up going downstairs with some coworkers to pass around some glasses and get a looksee.  Pretty neat, I guess.  Not a cloud in the sky here.

It got a little dim.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2024, 02:16:44 PM »
Something around 90% here in NJ.  Went outside to watch since my coworker had the glasses that we shared.  It did get a bit darker and noticeably cooler during the eclipse, but it honestly was not that interesting for me.  Need to be in totality to really enjoy it.  I think if no one had told me, I might not have even noticed  :lol  Cool to see many people did get the cool experience  :yarr

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2024, 02:29:09 PM »
Didn't even bother going outside for 30%,but the shits on CNN from Mexico were dope as fuck.

My kid got to see totality, so happy for her at least.

In 2045 we got one about an hour north of the bay area, so fingers crossed I last that long.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2024, 02:45:06 PM »
Didn't even bother going outside for 30%,but the shits on CNN from Mexico were dope as fuck.

What now?
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2024, 03:44:56 PM »
What now?

Shots. My phone has a case of the Joes it seems.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2024, 07:13:15 PM »
I love the eerie daylight of the eclipse. It was more prominent last year but even driving home from work was a cool experience. Students had those special sunglasses and I was able to see it decently covered up, it was a trip.

Cool pic Bart!

Offline birchbark

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2024, 10:42:47 PM »
My professor let us out of class 10 minutes early to try and see it, but I didn't have any solar glasses so I couldn't see the partial where I lived. Perfect weather though, so I feel kind of silly for not preparing for it.