Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232799 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Marillion
« Reply #1225 on: February 05, 2020, 05:40:28 PM »
So if you buy it through Fish, you get it signed by Fish...and if you order it through Marillion you get it signed by the other four and there's no option to have a copy signed by all five?   Am I understanding that correctly?

That's correct, been the case for the other two Fish era remasters. I guess it'd be quite difficult to do logistically? With Clutching, Fish signed the boxes when they arrived at his home/studio and that was where they were sent out from, so I guess the stock is split with so many going to Fish, so many to wherever Marillion operate from.

That's why I doubled up on the Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws reissues. I don't consider Script and Fugazi to be in that class so I might have to settle for one copy of those this time.

I'm not expecting a sonic epiphany with this. I'm in it for the live show and the doc which totally makes it worth it for me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1226 on: February 27, 2020, 05:34:26 PM »
Watched Recital Of The Script last weekend and despite Mike Pointer it's a pretty amazing show but I can never get into Grendel (even live.)  My least favorite Fish-Marillion song ever....

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1227 on: March 12, 2020, 04:47:23 PM »
Video for Weltshmertz released, decent enough track. More exciting though is the track listing, a double album with almost 90 minutes of music including a 15 minute piece.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1228 on: March 12, 2020, 08:40:40 PM »
yeah it's a radio edit.

Album comes on July 10th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MGDh6qh-0k

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1229 on: March 14, 2020, 08:02:54 PM »
Video for Weltshmertz released, decent enough track. More exciting though is the track listing, a double album with almost 90 minutes of music including a 15 minute piece.

Killer track!

How does he do that? The preview EP was pretty amazing.

Each album has been better than the last. Field of Crows was the last average album he did. I hope he commemorates this with a live album/DVD package sonce there's no way in hell he's coming back to the US again.

I just had Feast of Consequences in the car for the commute this week strangely enough.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1230 on: March 25, 2020, 08:16:33 AM »
After a Soft Machine phase, I have been listening to a lot of Marillion the last few days (that is, as much as I could, as exams are done online now and I have one tomorrow)...

I know that basically everyone ever hates Radiation, but I don't find it that bad (like, not Yes - Heaven & Earth bad). It's not a masterpiece and certainly no Marbles, but I don't get why it's hated THAT much. In particular, I find Born To Run beautiful.

Also, I found a remaining 3LP box set of Marbles online and it's sitting on my shelf right now, next to my record player and The ReconstruKction of Light 2LP by King Crimson. I will play both on Friday after the exam and actively listen to them. Very much looking forward to this. I know Marbles already, but I haven't heard it in years (ReconstruKction I have heard 3 times or so, also years ago).

I also listened to Anoraknophobia a few times and I still think that it's being mentioned far too little. 21st Century, Separated Out and If My Heart are great songs. The others are good too, though. Quartz is my favourite on this album.

I also want to dive a little into Brave, I don't know it very well, except for The Great Escape!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1231 on: March 25, 2020, 09:54:39 AM »
I really like Radiation too. By some distance it's my favourite of the 1997-99 trio.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1232 on: March 25, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »
After being underwhelmed (at the time; it's since grown to be a favorite) with Afraid of Sunlight, and absolutely despising This Strange Engine (a feeling that's never changed) I broke up with Marillion completely.  I only got back together with them over the hype for Marbles (worth it, though I think fans make too much of "Ocean Cloud"; it's good not great).  After that, I went back and listened to Radiation, .com, and Anoraknophobia.   My order:

Radiation Remix
Anoraknophobia

.com
Radiation

Meaning, there's not much gap between the first two themselves, or between the last two themselves, but the gap between number two and three is pretty big.  I love Marbles, but they've been very hit or miss since.   I'm not sure I'm on board with what seems to be alternating "epic albums" and "side bars", but nonetheless, NOTHING since Marbles has approached it, or the other truly great H albums before that (Season's End, Brave, Afraid of Sunlight).   In my humblest of opinions, and not suggesting they have to do what I say, but I'd be supportive of a reconciliation with Dave Meegan. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1233 on: March 25, 2020, 01:03:05 PM »
So if you buy it through Fish, you get it signed by Fish...and if you order it through Marillion you get it signed by the other four and there's no option to have a copy signed by all five?   Am I understanding that correctly?

That's correct, been the case for the other two Fish era remasters. I guess it'd be quite difficult to do logistically? With Clutching, Fish signed the boxes when they arrived at his home/studio and that was where they were sent out from, so I guess the stock is split with so many going to Fish, so many to wherever Marillion operate from.

That's why I doubled up on the Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws reissues. I don't consider Script and Fugazi to be in that class so I might have to settle for one copy of those this time.

I'm not expecting a sonic epiphany with this. I'm in it for the live show and the doc which totally makes it worth it for me.

My copy arrived from Fish yesterday. Not had time to listen yet, but these editions really are how rereleases should be done.
I got Script and Childhoodfrom Fish, signed on the cover. With Straws, it was a signed picture that arrived later which I didn’t like. Preferred it to be signed on the front.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1234 on: March 25, 2020, 01:50:05 PM »
The Radiation remix is legitimately one of my favorite Marillion albums. Not a bad song on it (at least when I’m in the mood for The Answering Machine).

I’ve recently been revisiting Happiness is the Road. It has a few weak spots, but there is easily a full single disc worth of really strong Marillion tunes between the two volumes. It is one that has definitely grown on me over the years (though This Train is My Life has been among my favorite Marillion songs since it came out).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1235 on: March 26, 2020, 02:21:48 AM »
I’ve recently been revisiting Happiness is the Road. It has a few weak spots, but there is easily a full single disc worth of really strong Marillion tunes between the two volumes. It is one that has definitely grown on me over the years (though This Train is My Life has been among my favorite Marillion songs since it came out).

I always loved Happiness Is The Road. The title alone is beautiful. Sure, it's not packed with huge prog epics, but that's not really what I need from this band. Instead, it's packed with mellow pop songs "with a twist", an almost eery atmosphere and great production. Which is what I need from this band.

On the other hand, I feel like FEAR is a little overrated. In my opinion, the band is not always capable of composing a consistent 20-min song. Most of their longer songs are 5 songs without pauses between them. There aren't even any recurring melodies or themes in some of them. At times, I feel like they have a great idea (like the opening sequence of this album, gorgeous!), but then it's just cut off, and it's never heard again. Sometimes it works (Invisible Man), though. And there is one example where they did everything right, which is Ocean Cloud. It's really a 17 minute SONG. But during the long tracks on FEAR, I sometimes don't know when one song is over and the next one begins. And at times I wonder, why this song end exactly HERE and not 6 minutes ago or 6 minutes later. Well, maybe the album needs more time.

But here's an unpopular opinion: Happiness Is The Road > FEAR
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #1236 on: March 26, 2020, 05:04:43 AM »
Watched Recital Of The Script last weekend and despite Mike Pointer it's a pretty amazing show but I can never get into Grendel (even live.)  My least favorite Fish-Marillion song ever....

I am not familiar with that video, so why "despite Mick Pointer"?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1237 on: March 26, 2020, 05:43:39 AM »
But during the long tracks on FEAR, I sometimes don't know when one song is over and the next one begins.

El Dorado ends at the end of track 5. That's when that song is over. :neverusethis:

Offline HOF

« Reply #1238 on: March 26, 2020, 08:32:04 AM »

I always loved Happiness Is The Road. The title alone is beautiful. Sure, it's not packed with huge prog epics, but that's not really what I need from this band. Instead, it's packed with mellow pop songs "with a twist", an almost eery atmosphere and great production. Which is what I need from this band.

On the other hand, I feel like FEAR is a little overrated. In my opinion, the band is not always capable of composing a consistent 20-min song. Most of their longer songs are 5 songs without pauses between them. There aren't even any recurring melodies or themes in some of them. At times, I feel like they have a great idea (like the opening sequence of this album, gorgeous!), but then it's just cut off, and it's never heard again. Sometimes it works (Invisible Man), though. And there is one example where they did everything right, which is Ocean Cloud. It's really a 17 minute SONG. But during the long tracks on FEAR, I sometimes don't know when one song is over and the next one begins. And at times I wonder, why this song end exactly HERE and not 6 minutes ago or 6 minutes later. Well, maybe the album needs more time.

But here's an unpopular opinion: Happiness Is The Road > FEAR

The funny thing is, and I see where you are coming from on this critique, but I love the kind of awkward Marillion stitched together approach to epic tracks. It’s their thing. They aren’t Neal Morse, and thats OK. In fact, I was thinking that most of Essence could have been edited together into one long track if they wanted to go with that approach. The only epic on FEAR that I feel like loses its way is the first one (El Dorado I think it’s called). The other two I think are really strong. I don’t know that I’d put Happiness (at least as a double album) above FEAR, but I can see that perspective.

As for Ocean Cloud, I have never really liked the middle section. The opening is gorgeous (up through to guitar solo) and the ending brings that back, but that’s a track where I’d love a shorter radio edit. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: March 26, 2020, 11:08:49 AM »

He pales in comparison to Ian Mosley; there's a brightness and a bounce to the Mosley tracks (that came later) that really elevated the band.  There's a sort of plodding to the Pointer stuff that doesn't serve it very well live, IMO.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1240 on: March 27, 2020, 02:02:35 PM »
I really like Radiation too. By some distance it's my favourite of the 1997-99 trio.

So do I.

I don't dig the remix as much because I really like the low-fi quality of the original (And of course those songs are pretty amazing live.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1241 on: March 27, 2020, 02:13:54 PM »

My copy arrived from Fish yesterday. Not had time to listen yet, but these editions really are how rereleases should be done.
I got Script and Childhoodfrom Fish, signed on the cover. With Straws, it was a signed picture that arrived later which I didn’t like. Preferred it to be signed on the front.

Go mine earlier this week although I ahve't had much time to dig into it much. 9Only read the liners up to the point that they got signed and listened to the remixed ep (which is very cleaned up but LOUD) because it was the shortest thing in it.

Have to admit that I wasn't very enthusiastic about this one (So I didn't order one each signed from Fish and Marillion like I'd done previously) as it's my least favorite of the Fish studio releases, but after starting the liner notes and listened to the EP I'm getting pretty excited.

Since there are now consecutive live performances of the late December run at the Marquee Club, I'll probably dig into both of those this weekend and maybe the doc.

Pretty psyched about this one now as I'm immersing myself in the history of the formation of the band which quite obviously you don't get with the other releases.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1242 on: March 27, 2020, 02:19:41 PM »

I like Happiness Is The Road, but I find myself overlooking it because I'll more likely reach for the releases around it more.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1243 on: March 27, 2020, 02:24:41 PM »

He pales in comparison to Ian Mosley; there's a brightness and a bounce to the Mosley tracks (that came later) that really elevated the band.  There's a sort of plodding to the Pointer stuff that doesn't serve it very well live, IMO.

I'd generally agree with that, but I will admit he rose to the occasion during his final gig with the band.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: April 10, 2020, 01:12:05 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/MarillionOfficial/videos/540496886610779/

10th April 2020 - Happy Easter
Happy "Good" Friday/Happy Easter/Happy Lockdown,
Lovely weather in England
We hope that everyone is staying safe and healthy and obeying whatever rules your own country has set in place. As it's Easter Weekend, Mark had the cool idea of us virtually-getting-together to record a new version of Easter in our
homes.
Hopefully it will put a smile on your faces. Thanks to messrs Hunter and Kennedy for the technical wizardry.
Tonight at 8.00pm UK time the very same Mark Kelly will be hosting a 'Marillion Quiz' over on our official Facebook page at -
www.facebook.com/MarillionOfficial/
Of course there are no prizes for taking part, just the self satisfaction and inner-glow that you 'know your stuff'!
Not sure how well any of us will do but we will all be watching and cheering Mark on (it was his birthday yesterday too).
We hope you have been enjoying the updates we have been sending out via our social media channels. Remember you can follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and on our official 'App'.
We hope to run a few competitions soon and as long as this situation continues, we will make sure we keep in touch as much as possible.
So until we meet again in person, stay close (well, 2m close), stay home, stay calm and have faith.
h, Ian, Mark, Pete and Steve

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1245 on: April 12, 2020, 06:17:04 PM »
What’s the best Marillion concert DVD to get?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline HOF

« Reply #1246 on: April 12, 2020, 09:12:46 PM »
My favorite is Live at Cadogan. I appreciate the more intimate atmosphere and all the various re-arrangements.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1247 on: April 12, 2020, 10:32:54 PM »
I almost want to answer this with, 'all of them'! They are all special in their own way. I don't know if I could pick just one.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: April 13, 2020, 07:37:58 AM »
I almost want to answer this with, 'all of them'! They are all special in their own way. I don't know if I could pick just one.

I think Puppies has it right; they all have a very different vibe and deliver a very different product (says the guy that hasn't seen most of the Hogarth vids; I've stopped being a completist with Marillion around the time of Marbles).  But just using the Fish era:  "Recital" is a hungry, ballsy band playing clubs and looking for the next step, creatively and commercially, while "Lorelai" is an arena band at their peak, realizing that they've been sold the view from the hill, but still at their creative apex, and still able to conjure the magic when need be.   Fish alone is a stark contrast between the two vids (though so is Rothery; watch and you'll know what I mean).   

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1249 on: April 14, 2020, 06:18:38 PM »

Exactly. They are like Rush in that way.

There are only two Marillion DVD's with Fish on only Recital Of The Script comes close to approximating what's it's like to be at a Marillion show. The second, Live From Loreley, is OK but doesn't really do the band justice live.  The Hogarth era is more heavily documented. I don't have them all but I really like the ones I do have.

Never bothered with the ones related to Brave as that's an era that doesn't do a thing for me. But I enjoy everything else. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1250 on: April 14, 2020, 06:28:10 PM »

I think Puppies has it right; they all have a very different vibe and deliver a very different product (says the guy that hasn't seen most of the Hogarth vids; I've stopped being a completist with Marillion around the time of Marbles).  But just using the Fish era:  "Recital" is a hungry, ballsy band playing clubs and looking for the next step, creatively and commercially, while "Lorelai" is an arena band at their peak, realizing that they've been sold the view from the hill, but still at their creative apex, and still able to conjure the magic when need be.   Fish alone is a stark contrast between the two vids (though so is Rothery; watch and you'll know what I mean).

I'm glad Loreley exists as a historical document, but I still don't think it's  representative of what the band brings. I guess you could say they were at the top of the mountain at that point (headlining of co-headlining festivals) but just about every other recording from that time (official bootleg or otherwise) surpasses it. Even Thieving Magpie (while better) still doesn't get that close to what they were like live.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: April 15, 2020, 08:28:54 AM »

I'm glad Loreley exists as a historical document, but I still don't think it's  representative of what the band brings. I guess you could say they were at the top of the mountain at that point (headlining of co-headlining festivals) but just about every other recording from that time (official bootleg or otherwise) surpasses it. Even Thieving Magpie (while better) still doesn't get that close to what they were like live.

I think you're right; I wouldn't argue that.   But it still is what it is, meaning, it's out there.  So if you're new to the game, and you watch it, it will have a very different vibe from the other things you'll see. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1252 on: April 15, 2020, 08:39:30 AM »
I would recommend some of the Marillion Weekend Live albums. That's the real Marillion vibe in my opinion.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1253 on: April 17, 2020, 08:38:38 AM »
A few DVDs and Bluerays are on sale right now at Racket. Of these I’ve only seen Cadogan. That’s a nice low price for it.

http://www.marillion.com/shop/search.php?s=SALE&fbclid=IwAR1kz5MEd7F57fa1ZTmJOpQj7HdzpOk_YnuuCfCYKrznzeAZkbDbCP1OemI

It looks like Racket is transitioning out of carrying physical DVD/Blueray stock and trying to get people to sign up for their video streaming service “The Space.” Might be something to look into, though it feels a little pricey for what they have available there so far. I think the plan is to have a lot of the older out of print stuff on there eventually.

https://marillionvod.uscreen.io/?fbclid=IwAR32hCYQ7jNROy836-6gtue-NU32ERK9PjWDHPqgpgO5P4y5sDifiESyLFE

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1254 on: April 17, 2020, 06:57:08 PM »
I would recommend some of the Marillion Weekend Live albums. That's the real Marillion vibe in my opinion.

True, but those are with Hogarth.  There are a lot more with Hogarth since he's been in the band for all but the first eight years or so.

There are only two commercially available DVD's for the Fish era. (Oddly, they are almost bookends) but there are some European TV broadcasts from that time that come a bit closer to capturing the experience.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1255 on: April 17, 2020, 07:12:37 PM »
HOLY CRAP!  Disc 2 of that Marillion.CL live set blew my mind.   I'm so used to seeing Hogarth be *extremely* sparse about doing Fish stuff.   That's the first time I've ever seen what appears to be an entire set of Fish material.   

HOTEL HOBBIES                       
WARM WET CIRCLES                       
THAT TIME OF THE NIGHT (THE SHORT STRAW)                       
WHITE RUSSIAN                       
INCOMMUNICADO                       
SLAINTE MHATH                       
SUGAR MICE                       
LORDS OF THE BACKSTAGE                       
BLIND CURVE                       
MARKET SQUARE HEROES
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline HOF

« Reply #1256 on: April 21, 2020, 09:55:32 AM »
HOLY CRAP!  Disc 2 of that Marillion.CL live set blew my mind.   I'm so used to seeing Hogarth be *extremely* sparse about doing Fish stuff.   That's the first time I've ever seen what appears to be an entire set of Fish material.   

HOTEL HOBBIES                       
WARM WET CIRCLES                       
THAT TIME OF THE NIGHT (THE SHORT STRAW)                       
WHITE RUSSIAN                       
INCOMMUNICADO                       
SLAINTE MHATH                       
SUGAR MICE                       
LORDS OF THE BACKSTAGE                       
BLIND CURVE                       
MARKET SQUARE HEROES

So I’ve now watched all three of those Chile performances (signed up for the 7 day free trial for the Video on Demand service), and they are outstanding. Not sure I’ve seen a better shot Marillion concert(s). The band is loose, they seem really into the material, and they sound great (H’s voice seemed remarkably clear). The dot com performance was really great, and the performance of Gaza in particular really hit me hard too.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1257 on: April 21, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »
Does anyone have an extra copy or a copy that you would you like to part ways of the Holidays in Zelande Blu-ray?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1258 on: April 21, 2020, 12:33:13 PM »

So I’ve now watched all three of those Chile performances (signed up for the 7 day free trial for the Video on Demand service), and they are outstanding. Not sure I’ve seen a better shot Marillion concert(s). The band is loose, they seem really into the material, and they sound great (H’s voice seemed remarkably clear). The dot com performance was really great, and the performance of Gaza in particular really hit me hard too.

Don't have that.

I have a live 2CD Live In Chile from 2016 which is pretty amazing. What a crowd!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1259 on: April 25, 2020, 10:04:41 AM »
There’s a new Steve Rothery solo album in the works. Looks like he’s doing a crowdfunding campaign starting in September. I’ve been watching all these live performances this week, which have reminded me just how much of a legend Rothery is.

New track available for download here. First half is very chill/ambient but the second half is classic Rothery (not sure if this is live or if that’s canned applause at the end?):

https://steverothery.bandcamp.com/track/la-silla

Abbreviated video version:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR3T42tKWhSeuuJuiQg2YeUXIZbYkNqFla80BMUZFq1yd91p-IxMVmwj1YA&feature=youtu.be&v=opEQag_7HVg