Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232835 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Marillion
« Reply #910 on: May 03, 2017, 07:57:40 PM »
FWIW it's about $36 with shipping to order direct from Marillion.com ... though I think the price on Amazon will come down to something sensible eventually.

I always go to Amazon and I'll ever check the prices at Discogs.com - my new favorite site for music.

Tell me about it. It's just not fair. :lol Do they expect us to sell blood and sperm?

We should cut out the middle man and just send it to them.   "Brave 5.1 mix!  Only 3 cc of either blood or sperm!"

Peter Steele already beat us to it. He signed his record contract with a mixture of his blood and semen.

Cut to the scene where the VP says to his receptionist, "Dear, can you make us four copies of this, please?" and her walking out holding the very corner between thumb and index finger. 

I can see the blood, but do I want to know how you get the semen to hand in the board room to sign the document??

He probably had some in a vial or whatever. This is Peter Steele (RIP) we're talking about.  ;)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: May 04, 2017, 06:21:20 AM »
The first 1000 MC preorders from marillion.com come signed by the 4 members in the band at the time.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #912 on: May 04, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »
4?..

my MC Vinyl has the 4 but missing Fish, and the odds of seeing him live are basically 0, so I may never have the missing 5th member of the band sign mine.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: May 04, 2017, 10:11:42 AM »
4?..

my MC Vinyl has the 4 but missing Fish, and the odds of seeing him live are basically 0, so I may never have the missing 5th member of the band sign mine.

Yeah, why would H sign it?

So it's got the other guys.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #914 on: May 04, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »
4?..

As I understand it, you buy it from Fishheads club (Fish's shop), and he will sign it.  You buy it from Racket Records (Marillion.com), Rothery, Kelly, Mosley and Trewavas will sign it.

I already have a "13th Star" signed by Fish, so I preordered from Marillion.com.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: May 04, 2017, 10:13:20 AM »
4?..

That would be pretty funny, though. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: May 04, 2017, 10:22:08 AM »
4?..

I mean.. I think I've seen Rudess and Mangini sign CDs/posters, etc from albums they weren't on. They're just being good sports about it.  I can see it going both ways... he's been singing those songs more frequently than Fish has since it came out I imagine... so I wouldn't *MIND* if H signed it.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #917 on: May 05, 2017, 10:36:31 AM »
4?..

I mean.. I think I've seen Rudess and Mangini sign CDs/posters, etc from albums they weren't on. They're just being good sports about it.  I can see it going both ways... he's been singing those songs more frequently than Fish has since it came out I imagine... so I wouldn't *MIND* if H signed it.

There's a video on Youtube where H went for coffee at someone's cabin during a Marillion Weekend in Port Zelande one year, where he mentions about signing stuff from the Fish era that he wasn't involved with.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #918 on: May 13, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
Ordering from Fish.

Already have a few copies of this signed by him but this will likely be the last time I'll ever buy this album (unless I order it from Marillion too.) I've got most of what's here already, but I'm a sucker for Fish writing the story about this album again. 

My guess is this is the only album that gets this over-the-top treatment. Wouldn't mind the rest of the Fish era released like this, but I just don't see it happening unless there are record sales.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: May 13, 2017, 11:09:18 PM »
Preordered from Fish..... fantastic album... signed by my teensge idol
Seeing this live back in the day only cemented  my total adoration of Fish.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #920 on: May 28, 2017, 07:34:01 PM »
Preordered from Fish..... fantastic album... signed by my teensge idol
Seeing this live back in the day only cemented  my total adoration of Fish.

I did too although I'm thinking of getting one from Marillion too.

What really excites me is the live stuff and the art and liners. I don't really expect this to sound any better than any versions I already have.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #921 on: July 19, 2017, 08:23:03 PM »
My Misplaced Childhood deluxe set made it all the way to Texas from Racket Records in record time, signed by 4 of the members. The set is GORGEOUS and I can't wait to listen to it tomorrow.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: July 20, 2017, 03:35:38 AM »
My Misplaced Childhood deluxe set made it all the way to Texas from Racket Records in record time, signed by 4 of the members. The set is GORGEOUS and I can't wait to listen to it tomorrow.

Haven't got mine yet from Fish... hope it arrives soon

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: July 20, 2017, 06:36:31 AM »

Nice little surprise in my mailbox as well!  (Though I have to say; the packaging was a little to be desired.  The set itself is BEAUTIFUL, but mine came with slightly rounded corners.  Doesn't matter to me, because I'm not turning it on eBay immediately, but I can imagine someone being put out by that.)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: July 20, 2017, 07:23:27 AM »

Nice little surprise in my mailbox as well!  (Though I have to say; the packaging was a little to be desired.  The set itself is BEAUTIFUL, but mine came with slightly rounded corners.  Doesn't matter to me, because I'm not turning it on eBay immediately, but I can imagine someone being put out by that.)

I don't think mine had rounded corners, I'll have to look but mine was wrapped in cardboard and then in the mailing bag. I was concerned it was beat up until I saw the cardboard.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: July 21, 2017, 03:07:25 PM »
Listening to this now on Amazon Music.  It sounds really good. I bet it'll sound even better with a higher bitrate encoding or right off the CD.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #926 on: July 22, 2017, 10:50:55 AM »
The one I ordered from Marillion shipped. No word on the one from Fish yet.

First order of business will be to dig into that live show and read the liner notes.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #927 on: July 26, 2017, 06:28:35 PM »
The one I ordered from Marillion shipped. No word on the one from Fish yet.

First order of business will be to dig into that live show and read the liner notes.

The one from Racket is here, the one from Fish is still MIA.

Planned to wait until the weekend to tear into this, but after reading the liner notes and staring at it for a while I had to listen to the concert (which I discovered I had on vinyl, but haven't listened to it in YEARS.) So much for trying to take it slow.

There's a lot of redundancies here from the 1998 reissue, but the package is much nicer. I'm sure the documentary will be really cool. Most of the rest of the stuff I have in various other places but I've never had my favorite album of all-time done up quite like this so its really cool. Don't expect to be blown away by the remaster itself, but that's not why I doubled down on this one. Great job with the art and liner notes  Need to find a special place for these.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #928 on: August 01, 2017, 01:49:01 PM »
Mine arrived yesterday, had a quick look and listen.
The package itself is very nice, except the way the discs are held, very flimsy to say the least.
Had a quick flick through the booklet, saw the band pic, looked at it three times before I realised that the fat guy with the beard was Fish.
Haven't followed him for many years, or seen any recent pics of him until this release.

The BR disc is great, 5.1 sound really good and you can hear everything in the mix.
Watched almost all the doco, pretty interesting, with all the band and producer reminiscing about the recording and playback of nearly all the album.
They look like they all get on, and I sat there thinking could they, maybe, er nah they never will...

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #929 on: August 01, 2017, 02:05:57 PM »
You know, it's funny. I've heard of Marillion since the start of my prog rock/hard rock fandom 30 years ago. But I never bothered to check them out. I heard of Misplaced Childhood, Clutching at Straws, Marbles, etc., and really just never bothered to check them out.

Then late last week, a friend was listening to the new Misplaced Childhood set, and after all these years, I sat down and listened to the record. What an incredible work. I went to Amazon and ordered the deluxe edition this afternoon. I am really looking forward to immersing myself in it a bit more. I seriously come to Marillion with NO expectations. Never listened to a track before, except for last week's one listen to Misplaced Childhood.

I am looking forward to getting the set.

I was told that after Misplaced Childhood to go to Clutching at Straws. Which I will do in time...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: August 01, 2017, 02:08:23 PM »
CAS might be my favorite Fish era.  Apparently that ones getting the Deluxe treatment as well.  One of the 'official' Marillion folk on a facebook group I'm on said several of the albums released on EMI are getting the deluxe treatment by 2020.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #931 on: August 01, 2017, 02:14:05 PM »
Clutching At Straws is probably my favorite Marillion album. :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #932 on: August 01, 2017, 02:33:19 PM »
Got my package from Scotland today.... have seen the documentary and loved it. Loved seeing them all together again after all those years.
Interresting discussions going on  in the studio.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #933 on: August 01, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »
Clutching At Straws is probably my favorite Marillion album. :)

Clutching at Straws, Misplaced Childhood and Script for a Jester's tear for me. I'm definitely more of a Fish era fan. I've tried a few compilations that had both Fish and Hogarth era material on them and gave Marbles, Season's End and a live dvd a chance, I just can't get into the post Fish stuff all that much unfortunately.

What Hogarth material would people here steer me too as being THE BEST of material to check out of his with the band?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: August 01, 2017, 03:04:31 PM »

What Hogarth material would people here steer me too as being THE BEST of material to check out of his with the band?

For me Season's End and Marbles (the 2 cd set with Ocean Cloud) is where the good H era stuff is.  A lot of others may say Brave but it hasn't clicked for me.

Season's End if I recall a lot of the ideas were already in motion when Fish left.. so it still works for me in a lot of ways.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #935 on: August 01, 2017, 03:55:32 PM »
The H era stuff is either very good or average to say the least.
Very hit and miss for me, Seasons End, Brave, Afraid of Sunlight and Marbles are the ones that come to mind immediately.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: August 01, 2017, 03:59:08 PM »
Season's End if I recall a lot of the ideas were already in motion when Fish left.. so it still works for me in a lot of ways.

Yes Season's End has music written while Fish was still in the band and so does Holidays in Eden if I am not mistaken.

Lyrics that Fish wrote while still in the band ended up on his first Soloalbums. Vigil in a Vilderness of Mirrors and also Internal Exile I think. Both great records....

Love Season's End and how Hogarth took the bull by the horn in The Uninvited Guest. Can't have been easy replacing Fish.

Holidays in Eden was quite alright but after that I have more or less given up on Marillion. Have tried with one album here and one there but nothing gets my attention unfortunately.

I was such a Marillion Freak during the Fish years.... well those albums are still as good.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #937 on: August 01, 2017, 10:11:15 PM »
Seasons End, Brave, Afraid of Sunlight and Marbles are the ones that come to mind immediately.

This. I would also throw in This Strange Engine for the title track, at least. :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #938 on: August 02, 2017, 12:50:41 AM »
I agree the title track is one of their best, but the rest of the album has some real duds.
I actually prefer the remix album with The Positive Light, 'Tales From The Engine Room', it breathes new life into the material.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: August 02, 2017, 07:22:59 AM »
You know, it's funny. I've heard of Marillion since the start of my prog rock/hard rock fandom 30 years ago. But I never bothered to check them out. I heard of Misplaced Childhood, Clutching at Straws, Marbles, etc., and really just never bothered to check them out.

Then late last week, a friend was listening to the new Misplaced Childhood set, and after all these years, I sat down and listened to the record. What an incredible work. I went to Amazon and ordered the deluxe edition this afternoon. I am really looking forward to immersing myself in it a bit more. I seriously come to Marillion with NO expectations. Never listened to a track before, except for last week's one listen to Misplaced Childhood.

I was told that after Misplaced Childhood to go to Clutching at Straws. Which I will do in time...
GO CHRONOLOGICAL.

At least with the H stuff, GO CHRONOLOGICAL.   It makes a lot more sense, as most of their albums seem to be a reaction to the one before. 

I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but GO CHRONOLOGICAL.   

Chronological.

FYI, Clutching... is in my top five albums ever by any band, ever.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: August 02, 2017, 07:27:25 AM »

For me Season's End and Marbles (the 2 cd set with Ocean Cloud) is where the good H era stuff is.  A lot of others may say Brave but it hasn't clicked for me.

Marbles is great, but you don't have to trip over yourself to get the 2CD version.  Ocean Cloud seems to get a lot of love because it's longer than 10 minutes, but in my opinion it's not even top three songs on the album.

For me, the H era:

Season's End
Brave/Afraid of Sunlight
Marbles
Anoraknophobia
Radiation
F.E.A.R.
Sounds That Can't Be Made
.com

Holidays has some moments
This Strange Engine was so bad I stopped listening to Marillion until I felt I had to give Marbles a try
Somewhere Else is... well, somewhere else
Happiness... seems like a missed opportunity to me

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #941 on: August 02, 2017, 09:06:38 AM »

GO CHRONOLOGICAL.

At least with the H stuff, GO CHRONOLOGICAL.   It makes a lot more sense, as most of their albums seem to be a reaction to the one before. 

I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but GO CHRONOLOGICAL.   

Chronological.

FYI, Clutching... is in my top five albums ever by any band, ever.

:lol

So you're saying I should go in order with the H era?   ;)

I will...IF I go down that rabbit hole. I'm going to enjoy the Misplaced Childhood set, and then see if they are going to do a similar treatment for Clutching at Straws, and ultimately pick that up. After that, however, will depend on just how much I enjoy MC and CaS and want to invest in the rest of the catalog.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #942 on: August 02, 2017, 09:13:12 AM »
I'm not really a fan of Marillion but I'm going to a festival with my Dad next weekend and they're actually playing. The festival is called Cropredy Festival and it's in the UK (anyone else going?). It's predominantly a folk rock festival but, by the looks of previous lineups, they often have prog rock bands playing. I'll report back after seeing them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: August 02, 2017, 09:36:39 AM »
They SLAY live.   Even when the material isn't great, they kill it.   I've seen them... four times now (which is something of a trick for someone in the States) and they've all been great.

Last time I saw them - this most recent tour - I was with a friend and his girlfriend.  We had seats, but I stood up off to the side (I knew the setlist before hand) and during "Neverland" I just cried like a baby.   

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #944 on: August 02, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like I've already given the biggest recommendations above a chance. So there seems no point to continue further, but I'll go back and give those few that I have in my collection from the Hogarth era another spin.

I never managed to catch them live either, doesn't seem like they hit the US all that often. Their recent tour, which they did do a Philly area date I skipped purposefully as I didn't have much desire in seeing the Hogarth lineup.