Author Topic: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #20-#1 speedrun any%  (Read 10266 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #27 - Look up here, I'm in heaven
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2023, 07:24:31 PM »
I've never been a Bowie fan, I tried many times over the years to get into his music and it just never clicked for me. However when I first heard Lazarus I was hooked. What an incredible track. Blackstar was already miles better than anything I've heard from previous releases and has only gotten better over time imo.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2023, 01:09:41 AM »
I mainly know the hits from Bowie and maybe an odd song here and there but for reasons unknown this is the only Bowie record that I own and it's quite good.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Mladen

« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2023, 02:35:52 AM »
I'm really out of the loop, but I'm finally going through the list. Kudos for including The Devil and God, Blackstar, Demon days and OK computer. Of course, Grace for drowning is also a fine record.  :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2023, 04:58:29 AM »
A dark, beautiful album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2023, 08:35:26 AM »
I gave another listen to OK Computer and a first one to Moon Shaped Pool.  It's possible Radiohead just isn't a band for me.  What's going on instrumentally is fine, even somewhat intriguing in moments, I could see it growing on me more in later listens.  Yorke remains the obstacle, now that I went through those, I actually think he might be the poster child for one vocal type that just doesn't do anything for me.  That constant frail falsetto of his is supposed to be emotionally resonant and vulnerable I suppose, and there are a few vocalists who do it that I don't mind, but it seems like he isn't one of them.  I can kind of just barely tolerate him on Kid A, but I find the songs on there to have much more interesting melodies and more engaging songwriting. 

Also gave Blackstar a listen.  It's a bit on the subtle side, and I don't find it particularly memorable right away.  I think it could take a number more listens to really pop (if it does at all), but I'm more optimistic about it at least because I love Bowie's voice, since I'm a casual fan of some of his earlier work. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 02:12:49 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2023, 01:18:53 PM »
I gave another listen to OK Computer and a first one to Moon Shaped Pool.  It's possible Radiohead just isn't a band for me.  What's going on instrumentally is fine, even somewhat intriguing in moments, I could see it growing on me more in later listens.  Yorke remains the obstacle, now that I went through those, I actually think he might be the poster child for one vocal type that just don't do anything for me.  That constant frail falsetto of his is supposed to be emotionally resonant and vulnerable I suppose, and there are a few vocalists who do it that I don't mind, but it seems like he isn't one of them.  I can kind of just barely tolerate him on Kid A, but I find the songs on there to have much more interesting melodies and more engaging songwriting. 

Also gave Blackstar a listen.  It's a bit on the subtle side, and I don't find it particularly memorable right away.  I think it could take a number more listens to really pop (if it does at all), but I'm more optimistic about it at least because I love Bowie's voice, since I'm a casual fan of some of his earlier work. 
That's fair, Thom's vocals aren't for everyone.

But Blackstar is quite a memorable record, just give it some time :P

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2023, 07:14:54 AM »
I listened to A Moon Shaped Pool and I loved it. Fantastic record even with the Thom Yorke wailing on some tracks. Really the only songs that didn't immediately click with me were "Ful Stop" and "Identikit". Never though I'd see the day I'd hear a Radiohead album I enjoyed.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2023, 12:24:21 PM »
 :metal
I listened to A Moon Shaped Pool and I loved it. Fantastic record even with the Thom Yorke wailing on some tracks. Really the only songs that didn't immediately click with me were "Ful Stop" and "Identikit". Never though I'd see the day I'd hear a Radiohead album I enjoyed.

:metal

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2023, 12:57:28 PM »
A need to give Blackstar a revisit, I remember enjoying it, though definitely some songs more than others. I'm pretty sure I liked the more ethereal songs like Lazarus and Dollar Days, while the weirder songs like 'Tis A Pity She Was A Whore didn't do as much for me.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2023, 08:54:47 AM »
Glad to hear that! It's a lovely album for sure.

A need to give Blackstar a revisit, I remember enjoying it, though definitely some songs more than others. I'm pretty sure I liked the more ethereal songs like Lazarus and Dollar Days, while the weirder songs like 'Tis A Pity She Was A Whore didn't do as much for me.
I'd also recommend the No Plan EP, it has a few songs that didn't make the cut and they're excellent as well imo.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2023, 09:46:12 AM »
To go back a record. Ulver. Rolling Stone is such a killer song.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #26 - Do you like hurting other people?
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2023, 08:57:43 PM »

Various Artists
Hotline Miami

This is the soundtrack to a game that's just insane - very fast paced, with loads of violence, where you can die quickly and revive just as fast, that needs both careful thought and lots of quick movements. This is the sort of music that just elevates that rush of adrenaline - hard-hitting Synthwave.

Not much else to say, play this game, get frustrated, keep playing, never stop the grind.

Recommended song: Vengeance (The Return of the Night Driving Avenger)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #26 - Do you like hurting other people?
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2023, 09:08:49 PM »
Is there a particular version that you like for this list?  I think that's the cover of the game itself, but there have been a number of different compilations of music from it.  They all tend to be loaded with great synthwave stuff though.  Or is the idea just "any music associated with the game"?  That's kinda cheating, but it's your list, so you can do it however you like, I'm sure I'll be bending all kinds of rules to fit extra music into my upcoming one.   :biggrin:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: September 23, 2023, 09:15:03 PM »
Yeah I wasn't sure if this was the official cover or not, but I don't care tbh :lol. I go by the official release when I listen to it, at least the one that's listed on RYM and that I've got downloaded.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #189 on: September 23, 2023, 09:18:56 PM »
Yeah, I'm not quite sure how many compilations have been made without doing more research, but the two main ones that come up have different covers. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #190 on: September 23, 2023, 10:27:12 PM »
Hotline Miami 2 soundtrack's better. :corn
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: September 23, 2023, 10:42:39 PM »
I need to revisit it, as it's quite good, but I recall not enjoying it as much as the first one. Maybe I'm a bit biased by not having had as much fun on the second game as the first one :P

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2023, 07:03:18 AM »
I just reinstalled Hotline Miami and I forgot how great the soundtrack is.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: October 22, 2023, 12:28:33 PM »
Oops I totally forgot about this thing, and seeing that this is list is already getting outdated with some recent discoveries, let's try to finish it quick...

Kyuss
Kyuss [Welcome to Sky Valley]

A perfect Rock / Metal album for driving through the hot desert: heavy, distorted, guitars, almost drowned vocals, a bass so thick it makes you sweat, and hypnotic drums. I really recommend giving this a listen in the middle of summer, it just fits so well. Stoner at its finest.

Recommended song: Odyssey

Offline HOF

Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #25 - Fire on the mountain
« Reply #194 on: October 22, 2023, 12:47:24 PM »
I’m hoping to finally get back to mine now that the summer is done and I have a little more free time.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: October 23, 2023, 05:56:39 PM »

Marketa Irglova
Muna

I've got no clue how I ended up coming across such a gem, but I'm glad I did - Muna is an album of faith and instrospection, of beautiful, heartfelt ballads. Such an emotionally powerful record it can even move me, not the most religious person out there.

Recommended song: Without a Map

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I've heard both of those albums before, but want to revisit them again.  A bit crunched at the moment for listening time though, so it'll be a few days. 

Evermind sent Marketa in my roulette, and I managed to listen to all her albums in-between rounds and enjoyed them.  Need to spend more time with them though.  I love that cover too, but I kind of have a thing for birds. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #24 - What I lose here on earth, Is lost in heaven
« Reply #197 on: November 05, 2023, 10:16:04 AM »
Ok I'll try to rush through these, I really want to finish this thing :lol

Arcade Fire
Funeral

An album both warm and cold, lovely and sad, euphoric and melancholic - Funeral is probably my favorite Indie Rock record and by far. It just feels so fresh even almost 20 years after its release, and the songs are very moving and emotional. Lots of instruments and sounds going on at once, and they all work together quite well without forming a wall of sound.
Truly a modern classic.

Recommended song: Wake Up

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #23 - Before they turn the summer into dust
« Reply #198 on: November 05, 2023, 10:34:44 AM »

Nicolás Jaar
Sirens

A very diverse and interesting political album - Nico sings about government oppression, both about current events (circa 2016), and past ones, like Chile's ruthless dictatorship under Pinochet.
It fuses Ambient Pop sensibilities with Electronic beats, a mix of autotune and unprocessed vocals with samples of a child (himself?) talking. It even has a song with Cumbia percussion and it works so well. Some tracks are a bit more atmospheric and slow, while others have an upbeat momentum and the balance never feels out of place.
I highly recommend checking out the Deluxe edition, as it has the full experience and all songs flow into each other so nicely.

Recommended song: No

Offline HOF

Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #22 - Ya dijimos no, pero el si está en todo
« Reply #199 on: November 05, 2023, 12:20:43 PM »
I should check out some more Arcade Fire. I only know Neon Bible which is great but I got into it in a difficult period of life and that sort of makes it hard to listen to it now. Kind of kept me from exploring them further, though it probably shouldn’t have.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #200 on: November 05, 2023, 06:10:11 PM »

Marketa Irglova
Muna

I've got no clue how I ended up coming across such a gem, but I'm glad I did - Muna is an album of faith and instrospection, of beautiful, heartfelt ballads. Such an emotionally powerful record it can even move me, not the most religious person out there.

Recommended song: Without a Map

Man, if you ever find yourself in Northeast Ohio, I owe you a cup of coffee!  :hefdaddy

I just gave this record a spin and am completely blown away–and this isn't the first time you've brought something previously unknown to my attention.

Many, many thanks  :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: November 06, 2023, 04:54:49 AM »
I should check out some more Arcade Fire. I only know Neon Bible which is great but I got into it in a difficult period of life and that sort of makes it hard to listen to it now. Kind of kept me from exploring them further, though it probably shouldn’t have.
That's understandable, Funeral is quite different from Neon Bible, and I think you'll dig it, give it a try when you feel ready.

Man, if you ever find yourself in Northeast Ohio, I owe you a cup of coffee!  :hefdaddy

I just gave this record a spin and am completely blown away–and this isn't the first time you've brought something previously unknown to my attention.

Many, many thanks  :metal
Damn, glad you liked it! There's more great stuff coming on the list soon, keep an eye on it ;)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2023, 01:21:05 PM »
I want to try and go back through a few of the latest ones I've missed.  I just gave Nicolas Jaar's Sirens Sirens Sirens a listen.  You already know my opinion of "The Governor" because you sent it in my roulette, so I skipped that one.  Most of the others aren't really my thing either, I think our preferences for more abstract, chilled electronic music are often a bit different, but the highlighted track you mentioned, "No", is pretty decent, I could see myself revisiting that one.  And of course you know from your EP in my roulette that Jaar's other project Against All Logic has at least one really cool track with "This Old House Is All I Have", which has some creative usage of sampling. 

Edit:  Just finished Arcade Fire's Funeral.  Yeah, this isn't my style of indie.  The instrumentation is decent enough, but a lot of the vocals don't work for me at all, and nothing really grabs my attention melodically.  "In the Backseat" might be the closest it came to working, and maybe I'll come back to that one later, but a long gap between listening to their albums hasn't really worked this time. 

And Marketa Irglova's Muna.  I already listened to this once between rounds in my roulette, and have listened to numerous tracks from the album more than that.  Definitely becoming one of my better discoveries from it.  No wonder she's a hit here. 

Edit 2:  Just listened to her albums with Glen Hansard as well.  I prefer her on her own, but those are also quite nice.  Reminds me of a better version of the Damien Rice/Lisa Hannigan material around that era. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 08:25:50 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2023, 05:13:43 AM »
I just listened to Kyuss' Welcome To Sky Valley last night.  I haven't heard this album in a long time, and enjoyed it even more than I thought I would.  I'm not generally a big stoner fan, but it's so well-executed I can't help myself.  I can even more clearly hear their influence on the Spiritual Beggars, who are probably my favorite stoner-related band. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2023, 07:55:14 AM »
Hell yeah glad you're digging Muna and Welcome to Sky Valley :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2023, 11:42:57 AM »

Kashiwa Daisuke
Program Music III

Behind this simple and inoffensive artwork, hides a beast: a single 51 min track, a monolithic piece of Modern Classical, Electronic, Post-Rock, and a gazillion other genres and styles. While that combo may sound overwhelming and chaotic, this mostly instrumental record flows like few - beautiful piano passages next to glitchy, broken beats, followed by soaring string sections, followed by weird experimental moments, and so on.
It follows on the foundation established by the previous Program Music albums - the first had the legendary track Stella, a massive 36 minute epic based on Night on the Galactic Railroad (a very sad story). Then came the more stripped down sequel, which had mixed reception, but which I personally loved. And when he dropped the third instance in late 2020 I couldn't believe it - it was his most ambitious and intricate composition by far, and probably his best.
It's my favorite album of this decade so far, and I'm so glad Daisuke managed to outdo himself. Can't wait for what he does next.

Recommended song: Sons

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #21 - Beep Beep Bop + Piano music
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2024, 01:31:08 PM »
Well, I thought that, since my list has changed a bit since I began this, I'd just finish this one by quickly summarizing the remaining entries:

20. Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill 3

An amazing soundtrack to a great game, I feel this is Yamaoka's finest work. It's got the Trip Hop, the Dark Ambient, the Alternative Rock, and more, all blended seamlessly.

19. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

Perhaps the most straightforward Rock / Metal album in the rest of the list, but damn, this one is full of bangers. Great political message too.

18. Darren Korb - Transistor

My favorite soundtrack ever, it's so beautiful and varied. Ashley is a fantastic singer.

17. Jeff Buckley - Grace

A gem of a debut, lots of intimacy and beautiful arrangements, paired with some weird sections to balance it out. A classic.

16. Burial - Untrue

I used to have this one higher, but with time I haven't revisited it that much - I feel I prefer his EPs a bit more these days. But still, a monumental album in my formation and appreciation for electronic music.

15. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell

A record to rip your heart out to. Incredibly moving and powerful, it makes me want to give him a hug. Some of the most beautiful music paired with lyrics embedded in grief and regret.

14. Gustavo Cerati - Bocanada

An album form my country! A record about a maturing relationship, with its up and downs. It's a mostly electronic sound, with lots of sampling and wonderful beats, but plenty of acoustic instruments. A masterpiece.

13. Deftones - White Pony

Great riffs mixed with an excellent atmosphere, and Chino's super expressive vocals. Fantastic record, definitely my favorite Metal album.

12. The Stooges - Fun House

An album so raw and filled with energy it has no right to have come out in 1970. I love the inclusion of sax in some songs, in particular the title track.

11. Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness

Probably the most depressing album on the list :lol. Bleak atmosphere, great guitars and synths, a blend of many genres into a cohesive sound. Earthmover, the closing track, is among the very best endings to a record imo.

10. Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Our beloved band's most creative, experimental album. Filled with great riffs, hypnotic atmosphere, and lots of wild ideas. Sadly some of the lyrics haven't aged very well, but I like that the main theme here is empathy, and I think they kinda succeeded, for the time it was released at least.

9. Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season

Probably the second most depressing album on the list :lol. A record of fragility, of times and relationships past by. Beth sings with such an honesty, and tries different styles on every track. Rustin Man's arrangements are exquisite and reeking of old school nostalgia.

8. Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring

My favorite Pop record! Such a blast of amazing catchy song after amazing catchy song. I love the organic instrumentation, and the intense energy most of these tracks exude. RIP Mark Hollis.

7. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

My favorite SW-related record, it's what got me into the band and his work, and still is a banger, after all these years.

6. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

I just love how immersive this album is, and it never gets boring.

5. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

An album I had dismissed long ago, only to come back to it a few years after, and being floored. Really, such an album has no reason to work at all, yet it does. Very raw and emotional, not for everyone tho.

4. Massive Attack - Mezzanine

My favorite electronic record, a massive (:neverusethis:) achievement of atmosphere, tension and release, with some great lyrics. So dark, so good.

3. Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

Trent gives it all here, an epic double album of suffering, inner turmoil, toxic relationships, and more. A perfect blend of synths and guitars.

2. Anathema - Weather Systems

The most powerful, emotional record I've ever listened to. It just moves me so deeply every time I play it. It's so beautiful and melancholic, yet hopeful. Glad I managed to see them live before they split up.

1. Godspeed You Black Emperor! - F♯A♯∞

This album changed everything to me - it made me realize there was a lot in abstract, instrumental music. It could make me imagine all sorts of images and conjure sensations I didn't know were possible through this medium. Every time I listen to it, I feel it's gonna let me down, but no. Almost a decade later and it still impresses me.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #20-#1 speedrun any%
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2024, 01:50:32 PM »
The Silent Hill scores are really nice.  I'm not sure if I've heard that particular one or not though. 

The RATM debut is outstanding.  Some of their best songs, and probably Tom's best guitar work, surprisingly shredder-iffic at times. 

Grace keeps rising for me, largely thanks to Soundscape and Puppies sending something from it in my final roulette EP round. 

White Pony might be my favorite Deftones album, "Change (In the House of Flies)" was a quite momentous song for me, and they're one of the few acts adjacent to post-hardcore that work for me, since it's a style I generally struggle with. 

SDOIT - kind of surprised as far as your tastes have strayed from prog metal, that this still remains so high.  It continues to be a great album, of course, if not quite one of my favorites. 

In Absentia - my favorite PT album for sure, just hit after hit on that one. 

DSotM - I struggle with ranking most pre-90s music at the top of my lists, but that one holds up better than most, it's justifiably legendary. 

Mezzanine - fantastic album, it's probably a centerpiece of what seems to be one of the bigger overlaps in our taste. 

The Fragile - Trent's first two are what I come back to most, but this one's excellent too. 

WS - hmm, this might appear elsewhere in the future...

F♯A♯∞ - years ago this probably would have made my own list, and it still might be an honorable mention.  The high points are sublime, few other post-rock reaches those heights, though over time the sparseness of some moments hold it back just a bit, and the spoken word bits get a little tiresome. 

Of course you already know what I think at least of certain songs of Have a Nice Life, Gibbons/Rustin, and Talk Talk. 

Burial and Sufjan haven't clicked for me, yet?

NMH is definitely not my thing.  The Stooges might not be either from the limited amount I recall.  Your mention of saxophone in the title track means I'll probably at least give that one a shot though.

Heard a bit of Korb and Cerati, don't remember enough about them. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 04:32:28 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline HOF

Re: Sacul's top 50 albums v3. #21 - Beep Beep Bop + Piano music
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2024, 04:18:40 PM »
8. Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring

My favorite Pop record! Such a blast of amazing catchy song after amazing catchy song. I love the organic instrumentation, and the intense energy most of these tracks exude. RIP Mark Hollis.

:metal :metal :metal :metal