Author Topic: THE OFFICIAL AEROSMITH DISCUSSION VS WATERPARK PIZZA  (Read 1296 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
THE OFFICIAL AEROSMITH DISCUSSION VS WATERPARK PIZZA
« on: April 11, 2024, 02:51:21 PM »
So... do we think Steven's voice can survive this final tour?   I dont see how it can..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: THE OFFICIAL AEROSMITH DISCUSSION VS WATERPARK PIZZA
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 08:18:18 AM »
I just saw (relatively speaking; it was about 18 months ago) Aerosmith at Fenway Park, and while the acoustics blow, Steven seemed in good health, vocally.

Aerosmith is a weird band for me; their classic work is in every sense of the word, "classic".  I still listen to those first four or so records; not so much the debut, but Get Your Wings through Night In The Ruts is just legendary.

It feels like to me that Aerosmith is somewhere between the cracks; they're not really a nostalgia band, but there's nothing new from them that really moves the needle since... probably "Just Push Play".   I didn't really connect with "Music From Another Dimension", even though it was supposed to be a return to the early days, with Jack Douglas. They're a bit too meat and potatoes as a band for what I see as their current touring presentation. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 08:55:25 AM »
I just saw (relatively speaking; it was about 18 months ago) Aerosmith at Fenway Park, and while the acoustics blow, Steven seemed in good health, vocally.

Aerosmith is a weird band for me; their classic work is in every sense of the word, "classic".  I still listen to those first four or so records; not so much the debut, but Get Your Wings through Night In The Ruts is just legendary.

It feels like to me that Aerosmith is somewhere between the cracks; they're not really a nostalgia band, but there's nothing new from them that really moves the needle since... probably "Just Push Play".   I didn't really connect with "Music From Another Dimension", even though it was supposed to be a return to the early days, with Jack Douglas. They're a bit too meat and potatoes as a band for what I see as their current touring presentation.

I agree Stad... I saw them in Sept in Philly and LI ,   LI show was much better IMO  and the LI show was the show Steven broke his larynx at but he was amazing that night ... was shocked to find out he had injured himself   IM a HUGE FAN  and have seen them many times since  late 80s

and I agree with you on their discography     their later work always has 4 or 5 great songs per album ..  of the later stuff Permanent Vacation is my fav

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 12:14:17 PM »

I agree Stad... I saw them in Sept in Philly and LI ,   LI show was much better IMO  and the LI show was the show Steven broke his larynx at but he was amazing that night ... was shocked to find out he had injured himself   IM a HUGE FAN  and have seen them many times since  late 80s

and I agree with you on their discography     their later work always has 4 or 5 great songs per album ..  of the later stuff Permanent Vacation is my fav

Mine too; great album.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 05:45:30 PM »
Mine too; great album.

yup... no doubt brother...

so the question remains.... "CAN STEVEN SURVIVE THIS TOUR??"   he will be 77 !!!  id have to think shorter set, more back singer involvement...     breaks my heart... truly love this band 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2024, 02:14:19 AM »
More can he survive the allegations against him. If anyone needs to be cancelled in the #MeToo era it's him.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2024, 06:37:19 AM »
A buddy of mine hit me up the other day when they announced the rescheduled dates, asking if I wanted to go.  I told him I last saw them in 1994 and I hated the show then.  Now, with Steven bleeding from his throat and not having Joey Kramer, there was no way I was gonna pay $125 for seats in the 2nd tier behind the stage.  Rear lower tier was like $180.  Everything in front of the stage was $250 or more. 

Good luck to them.  Hope everything goes well.  But, I'll hold onto my memories of the first time I saw them back in 1990 with Skid Row opening at the Meadowlands.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2024, 07:04:52 AM »
Wait is Joey Kramer still out? I thought he was playing with them again...

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2024, 08:55:31 AM »
More can he survive the allegations against him. If anyone needs to be cancelled in the #MeToo era it's him.

Im sure there are far worse than Steven if we really want to go down this path...

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2024, 10:44:31 AM »
Wait is Joey Kramer still out? I thought he was playing with them again...

Hes out with a shoulder issue,  the drum tech thats been with them for many years is drumming.. he stays in the pocket and did a great job

Online nick_z

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 11:19:42 AM »

of the later stuff Permanent Vacation is my fav

Mine too; great album.

Add me to the list. LOVE that album. That was my first Aerosmith record, so there's a lot of memories too, but I always enjoy putting it on, period. Love the singles AND the deeper cuts.

That one and Pump are such a great pair.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 11:20:40 AM »
Add me to the list. LOVE that album. That was my first Aerosmith record, so there's a lot of memories too, but I always enjoy putting it on, period. Love the singles AND the deeper cuts.

That one and Pump are such a great pair.

:tup :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 09:33:36 AM »
Hes out with a shoulder issue,  the drum tech thats been with them for many years is drumming.. he stays in the pocket and did a great job

Look, I love Aerosmith, and Joey Kramer's the man, but let's be honest: I saw them in Fenway, and of the 1,287 thoughts I had throughout the night (including "Hey, look, there are those two women we met in the bar before the show!") "boy I wish Joey Kramer was here; it'd be so much better" was not one of them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 09:47:31 AM »
I always thought Aerosmith was one of the weakest live bands I've ever seen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2024, 09:59:33 AM »
I always thought Aerosmith was one of the weakest live bands I've ever seen.

My bro TAC,...The shows I saw have always been awesome as they are true rock Gods ,  The live show has gotten better and better even as the albums could be argued to be weaker than say the first 6 of so..( to me the new albums have 4 to 5 great songs and some fluff ) which are beyond classic

I saw them twice in September and it was truly magnificent and everyone loved it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2024, 10:04:48 AM »
My bro TAC,...The shows I saw have always been awesome as they are true rock Gods ,  The live show has gotten better and better even as the albums could be argued to be weaker than say the first 6 of so..( to me the new albums have 4 to 5 great songs and some fluff ) which are beyond classic

I saw them twice in September and it was truly magnificent and everyone loved it.

I watched clips of the Philly show, and it looked excellent. I think even the setlist was decent. FTR, I did look at the Boston show as a possibility since this is the last tour, but the prices are simply not worth it.
And it was only that is the was the final tour. I don't go to many shows these days, and I wasn't going to attend some random greatest hits tour like what they've been doing for a couple of decades.

I've seen them three times...Done With Mirrors, Permanent Vacation where they got blown of the stage by their openers, and then the Pump tour, which at least had an awesome stage set. Though Sebastien Bach was way more interesting on that tour than Aerosmith.

Also, I LOVE Aerosmith right up through Get A Grip, though I do put Permanent Vacation extremely low in my ratings.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2024, 10:32:52 AM »
I watched clips of the Philly show, and it looked excellent. I think even the setlist was decent. FTR, I did look at the Boston show as a possibility since this is the last tour, but the prices are simply not worth it.
And it was only that is the was the final tour. I don't go to many shows these days, and I wasn't going to attend some random greatest hits tour like what they've been doing for a couple of decades.

I've seen them three times...Done With Mirrors, Permanent Vacation where they got blown of the stage by their openers, and then the Pump tour, which at least had an awesome stage set. Though Sebastien Bach was way more interesting on that tour than Aerosmith.

Also, I LOVE Aerosmith right up through Get A Grip, though I do put Permanent Vacation extremely low in my ratings.

UBS show was better than Philly    ...its a shame the tour ended with Stevens broken larynx

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2024, 11:21:33 AM »

I dig that setlist a lot.  I'm a huge fan of Toys In The Attic, so No More No More, Adam's Apple, all winners. Seasons' of Wither is my favorite Aerosmith song, so that's a winner. Combination was on the setlist (though they didn't play it) and that's a favorite, as is Rats in The Cellar.  Of the newer songs I really like Love In An Elevator and really like Living On The Edge, so those are winners... I'd go see that if the tix were under $75.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2024, 12:23:49 PM »
I dig that setlist a lot.  I'm a huge fan of Toys In The Attic, so No More No More, Adam's Apple, all winners. Seasons' of Wither is my favorite Aerosmith song, so that's a winner. Combination was on the setlist (though they didn't play it) and that's a favorite, as is Rats in The Cellar.  Of the newer songs I really like Love In An Elevator and really like Living On The Edge, so those are winners... I'd go see that if the tix were under $75.

tickets will be in the hundreds sadly

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2024, 12:53:32 PM »

Before that show, Aerosmith played 4 nights earlier for the first time in 2 years (and no show between that and Fenway).  So basically, they were about as fresh as they were going to be for that show.  And I thought they were about as good as you could be all things considered (age, health, playing a stadium, being fully live). 

FTR, I did look at the Boston show as a possibility since this is the last tour, but the prices are simply not worth it.

Yeah, I just looked again at the NJ show recently since the tickets went back on sale for the new date.  $250 for the worst seat.  Not worth it.  I think I paid $90ish for the last row at Fenway.  I also saw them on my birthday in Vegas in 2019.  I paid A LOT, I think it was around $250 for that ticket.... but I was on stage with the band and got to keep the sick ear bud headphones they gave me (they had this cool experience where you could wear these nice bose ear buds during the show attached to a ipod they let you use that provided the sound board on one channel or you could change the channel and hear exactly what Steven hears in his ear buds.  I also made out with a stripper on stage  :lol That show was worth the money, but I can't imagine paying that to be at the back of an arena.

Online nick_z

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2024, 05:07:20 PM »

Ha! How come? It's admittedly an album written to be a "hit" (and I suppose it was one of the first that was heavy on the external writers...? I can't fact-check that one now ;)), but the singles are awesome (and, yes, I've always loved Angel), and the deep cuts are, well, awesome too (Heart's Done Time, Simoriah, St. John, Hangman Jury...)

I, for one, very much prefer it to Done With Mirrors, even though it was a comeback of sorts (although I discovered it later, so I didn't have a real-time appreciation for it). Pump, as I said before, I like basically as much as PV.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2024, 07:34:43 PM »
Ha! How come? It's admittedly an album written to be a "hit" (and I suppose it was one of the first that was heavy on the external writers...? I can't fact-check that one now ;)), but the singles are awesome (and, yes, I've always loved Angel), and the deep cuts are, well, awesome too (Heart's Done Time, Simoriah, St. John, Hangman Jury...)

I, for one, very much prefer it to Done With Mirrors, even though it was a comeback of sorts (although I discovered it later, so I didn't have a real-time appreciation for it). Pump, as I said before, I like basically as much as PV.

Done With Mirrors rocks, and Permanent Vacation is wimpy compared to it. I do like Hearts Done Time and the title track, but Done With Mirrors just feels more like an Aerosmith album to me.
My favorite tracks are Darkness (Top 5 A-smith song for me), My Fist Your face and The Reason A Dog. I also love the remade LTMDTT.

I do have some decent pics from the Done With Mirrors show. If I think of it, I'll upload a couple tomorrow.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2024, 08:01:54 PM »
Done With Mirrors rocks, and Permanent Vacation is wimpy compared to it. I do like Hearts Done Time and the title track, but Done With Mirrors just feels more like an Aerosmith album to me.
My favorite tracks are Darkness (Top 5 A-smith song for me), My Fist Your face and The Reason A Dog. I also love the remade LTMDTT.

I do have some decent pics from the Done With Mirrors show. If I think of it, I'll upload a couple tomorrow.

:tup ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2024, 07:27:16 AM »

PV is the first album that John Kalodner was involved with.  I'm not a fan of John Kalodner and I think the whole "John Kalodner = John Kalodner" thing is a bunch of arrogant shit.  Anyway...  I like PV BECAUSE of the deep tracks; that's the first album where I started to think - with few exceptions (Love In An Elevator from Pump, which rules) - that Aerosmith was now "two bands" for me; the hits which sucked and the album tracks which ruled.

1.   "Heart's Done Time"   
2.   "Simoriah"   
3.   "St. John"
4.   "Hangman Jury"   
5.   "Magic Touch"   
6.   "I'm Down"
7.   "The Movie"
8.     "Permanent Vacation"   
9.   "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)"   
10.   "Girl Keeps Coming Apart"   
11.   "Angel"   
12.   "Rag Doll"   

That was also the album that Steven started recycling little phrases that seemed to crop up every album from then on.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2024, 11:30:03 AM »
PV is the first album that John Kalodner was involved with.  I'm not a fan of John Kalodner and I think the whole "John Kalodner = John Kalodner" thing is a bunch of arrogant shit.  Anyway...  I like PV BECAUSE of the deep tracks; that's the first album where I started to think - with few exceptions (Love In An Elevator from Pump, which rules) - that Aerosmith was now "two bands" for me; the hits which sucked and the album tracks which ruled.

1.   "Heart's Done Time"   
2.   "Simoriah"   
3.   "St. John"
4.   "Hangman Jury"   
5.   "Magic Touch"   
6.   "I'm Down"
7.   "The Movie"
11.   "Angel"   
12.   "Rag Doll"   

That was also the album that Steven started recycling little phrases that seemed to crop up every album from then on.

great post and I agree  PV is a really really good album

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2024, 12:05:02 PM »
DREAM ON FROM UBS   WAS SOOOOO GOOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWdkUDe0axM

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2024, 12:32:30 PM »

1.   "Heart's Done Time"   
2.   "Simoriah"   
3.   "St. John"
4.   "Hangman Jury"   
5.   "Magic Touch"   
6.   "I'm Down"
7.   "The Movie"
11.   "Angel"   
12.   "Rag Doll"   

I just don't know what album I'd put behind it. And that's up to and including Get A Grip. I mean, I guess I out it right there with Get A Grip as I pretty jumped off the A Train at that point, even though I loved Pump.

To me, Permanent Vacation is way too slickly produced, and it robs the album of balls.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2024, 12:53:02 PM »
So I saw Aerosmith w/ Guns n Roses on 8/24/88 at Great Woods in Mansfield, MA. It was the first of a three night run. No idea why, but I bought a tour program at the show.

Here it is:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2024, 12:58:37 PM »
THE ABOVE IS TOTALLY AWESOME MY BRO

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2024, 01:01:36 PM »
I just don't know what album I'd put behind it. And that's up to and including Get A Grip. I mean, I guess I out it right there with Get A Grip as I pretty jumped off the A Train at that point, even though I loved Pump.

To me, Permanent Vacation is way too slickly produced, and it robs the album of balls.

To me ..  PV is far far better than Get and Grip

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2024, 01:49:30 PM »
To me ..  PV is far far better than Get and Grip

OK, sure, I actually agree. So now we have our bottom two. ;D

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2024, 02:13:23 PM »
OK, sure, I actually agree. So now we have our bottom two. ;D

so you think Just push Play is better than PV?   

also   do you think Steven at his age can finish this tour at age 77?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2024, 02:30:46 PM »
so you think Just push Play is better than PV?   

also   do you think Steven at his age can finish this tour at age 77?

I don't rate anything after Get A Grip. I did check out Just Push Play and it blows, so yes, PV is easily better than that.

I think Steven will get there, sure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2024, 02:48:14 PM »
OK, posting these for the first time I believe..

March 18, 1986
Providence Civic Center

Ted Nugent opened and absolutely destroyed!

And if anyone wants to see a 17 y/o TAC (with some glorious hair!lol) drinking cheap ass wine before the show..