Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 116622 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #3220 on: February 02, 2024, 07:26:30 PM »
It’s pretty cut and dry.

The one thing it's NOT.  ;) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

It really, really is.

You really won't be satisfied until you get a recording or transcript of The Phone Call, will you?

I'm satisfied right now. Very.  I don't need a phone call transcript.  I need people here to stop making assumptions when they don't know the first thing about what they're talking about.  I don't CARE what happened with the band.  It's their business, not mine, and I'm not entitled to that information.  All I know - all WE know - is that Mike Portnoy is now the drummer for DT and Mike Mangini is not, and Mangini found out via a phone call that was unscheduled.  I prefer the Portnoy era, for various reasons (though I like Mangini), and that's all that matters to me, so I'm jazzed.

Did I miss something? There was a phone call? This was relayed with a phone call?

Not really thrilled to hear about that but it's not like I'm going to lose any sleep over it. Still seems that timing of this transition wasn't managed very smoothly. But maybe that was the best of a bad situation.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3221 on: February 02, 2024, 07:29:06 PM »
Does the DT Discord also think that John Myung died in 1992, and was replaced with a look-alike without the public's knowledge?

No that was Paul MaCartney. They both play bass.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3222 on: February 02, 2024, 07:43:39 PM »
I'll just put in one word for the occupants of my quadrant:  BULLSHIT!

I also have to question this preface to the map:  "this map made the news last year."  How does a map that is nothing more than ignorant stereotyping "make the news"?
The stuff that makes local news is surprising at times, isn't it?

Local news? Where?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3223 on: February 02, 2024, 07:45:06 PM »
It only took 92 pages but all of the DTF lawyers agree...

with me!!!!

Are you moving to Seattle?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3224 on: February 02, 2024, 07:46:14 PM »
No! 

Is that a reference I should know? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gborland

« Reply #3225 on: February 03, 2024, 04:20:01 AM »
Did I miss something? There was a phone call? This was relayed with a phone call?
Not really thrilled to hear about that but it's not like I'm going to lose any sleep over it. Still seems that timing of this transition wasn't managed very smoothly. But maybe that was the best of a bad situation.

Yes. Doesn't seem surprising to me. I imagine they wanted to inform MM as soon as possible after making the decision, which would naturally mean a phone call as they weren't actually physically together at the time. NOT telling him ASAP would have been discourteous.
Graham Borland

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3226 on: February 03, 2024, 04:25:49 AM »
I remember they let Derek go over a phone conference as well, 'cause "they didn't want him to take a plane just to be fired". It would be nice for the band members to be together as much as possible but the reality of things (busy schedules, family, geography) often calls for a phone call.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3227 on: February 03, 2024, 06:57:27 AM »
hey all, was just scrolling on social media and came across this

what's everyone's take on this? i didn't realize they were already at the point where they had a name!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3228 on: February 03, 2024, 06:58:38 AM »
Seeing as they haven't even started working on it, I'd be very surprised if they had a name for the album.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3229 on: February 03, 2024, 07:02:24 AM »
A Dramatic Return of Events?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #3230 on: February 03, 2024, 07:08:46 AM »
Seeing as they haven't even started working on it, I'd be very surprised if they had a name for the album.

I also saw that but maybe they have been keeping things under wraps so they can launch a massive surprise on us, this rumor has me excited!!!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3231 on: February 03, 2024, 07:11:03 AM »

what's everyone's take on this? i didn't realize they were already at the point where they had a name!

They didn't even write it and they already have a name? nah, I'm totally in the "not believing it unless i see it" camp and I won't spend one second of expectation over this.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3232 on: February 03, 2024, 07:25:11 AM »

They aren't, this is bullshit, much like all the other "rumors" you've asked about here.

Let me give you a clue: any "rumors" you see on social media or the Discord aren't real rumors. They are made-up bullshit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3233 on: February 03, 2024, 07:27:47 AM »

I also saw that but maybe they have been keeping things under wraps so they can launch a massive surprise on us, this rumor has me excited!!!

It shouldn't.
Photobucket sucks.

« Reply #3234 on: February 03, 2024, 07:28:47 AM »
i'm gonna hold my breath, i'm dying to know the new album name. the discord was clearly filled with some trolls but i'm less convinced that this bluesky account is invalid.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3235 on: February 03, 2024, 07:30:49 AM »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #3236 on: February 03, 2024, 07:51:01 AM »
i'm gonna hold my breath, i'm dying to know the new album name. the discord was clearly filled with some trolls but i'm less convinced that this bluesky account is invalid.
Hey hoveringsojourn, gotta say, you've got an epic knack for digging up the wildest rumors – it's like a daily adventure with your posts! 😄 But dude, sometimes I get the vibe you're all-in on everything you read. It's easy to get caught up, especially when the stories are juicy. Maybe you should hit pause and play detective first? Could be a fun way to sift through what's legit and what's just hype. I don't know what bluesky is but there's wild speculation on every corner of the internet (just open any thread here  :lol).

« Reply #3237 on: February 03, 2024, 07:53:04 AM »
Hey hoveringsojourn, gotta say, you've got an epic knack for digging up the wildest rumors – it's like a daily adventure with your posts! 😄 But dude, sometimes I get the vibe you're all-in on everything you read. It's easy to get caught up, especially when the stories are juicy. Maybe you should hit pause and play detective first? Could be a fun way to sift through what's legit and what's just hype. I don't know what bluesky is but there's wild speculation on every corner of the internet (just open any thread here  :lol).

hey, thanks for the input! 😄 appreciate the shoutout on the rumor-digging front. you've got a point about going all-in on stuff. it's true, the internet's a jungle, and sometimes the juiciest stories can be a bit too tempting.

playing detective sounds like a solid idea. taking a breather to fact-check and sift through the hype, that could add some balance. i agree, it's easy to get carried away in the sea of speculations. gotta keep the cool head, right?

bluesky's another one of those things, yeah. the internet's buzzing with theories. i guess it's part of the charm (or chaos) of online forums. your suggestion to navigate the speculation with a detective mindset makes sense. a bit of skepticism never hurt anyone.

thanks for the friendly advice, mate. it's a wild ride out here, and having a reminder to keep things in check is always good.
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #3238 on: February 03, 2024, 07:58:18 AM »

also i think you were onto something. i started digging a bit more and also found this one, which kinda seems fake to me

Welcome to the Forums!

Online gborland

« Reply #3239 on: February 03, 2024, 08:08:53 AM »
The only way they would have decided on a name before even writing a single note is if they knew they wanted to do Metropolis pt. 3. And I'd put the odds of that at around 1% right now.

So, it's bullshit.
Graham Borland

« Reply #3240 on: February 03, 2024, 08:15:17 AM »
The only way they would have decided on a name before even writing a single note is if they knew they wanted to do Metropolis pt. 3. And I'd put the odds of that at around 1% right now.

So, it's bullshit.

i mean, this is what i was thinking. it sounds so perfect to me! what better way to come back strong with MP than to name drop Metropolis 3 on Eddie Trunk right before going into the studio to record it? get the fans hyped and all. i'd love it
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3241 on: February 03, 2024, 08:43:49 AM »

They aren't, this is bullshit, much like all the other "rumors" you've asked about here.

Let me give you a clue: any "rumors" you see on social media or the Discord aren't real rumors. They are made-up bullshit.

Deep breaths.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3242 on: February 03, 2024, 08:43:57 AM »

So, it's bullshit.

Even if they decided to do Metropolis Pt. 3 why would they commit to it before writing a single note? They would box themselves into writing something that they don't feel a lot of passion for.

« Reply #3243 on: February 03, 2024, 08:51:08 AM »

So, it's bullshit.

Even if they decided to do Metropolis Pt. 3 why would they commit to it before writing a single note? They would box themselves into writing something that they don't feel a lot of passion for.

for the challenge
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3244 on: February 03, 2024, 08:59:40 AM »
Eh....I don't know if I want DT to write an album simply cause it's challenging, I'd ideally like them to feel inspired to write whatever they want to write, if it's Met Pt. 3 then so be it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3245 on: February 03, 2024, 09:27:25 AM »
The title already leaked...

Majesy

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #3246 on: February 03, 2024, 10:17:08 AM »
i think it's fair to say this account is dubious at best, but fwiw it did post about DT again

Welcome to the Forums!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3247 on: February 03, 2024, 10:25:11 AM »
Please, no. One self-titled album is enough.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3248 on: February 03, 2024, 10:29:34 AM »
Btw, Weather Report also had two self titled albums years apart (their first in 1971 and their tenth in 1982. (which was confusing as well in some ways). It's not a common thing, but it happens.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

« Reply #3249 on: February 03, 2024, 10:29:49 AM »
i agree with you, fadetoblackdude7
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #3250 on: February 03, 2024, 10:33:27 AM »
Weezer and Chicago are the only bands who can get away with having more than one self-titled album.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3251 on: February 03, 2024, 10:39:21 AM »
The difference is that Chicago almost always title their albums with their numbers. What MP didn't mention is that only both LZ Peter named his first four albums consecutively (albeit with a subtitle in Peter's case). Bit of a difference.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3252 on: February 03, 2024, 10:45:59 AM »
maybe that selftitled v2 cover will have the proper logo on it? ;-)

I'd imagine MP has had all these ideas for an album with DT waiting to be able to finally do, but naming it DT again would be very low on the list of creativity

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #3253 on: February 03, 2024, 10:47:28 AM »
The difference is that Chicago almost always title their albums with their numbers. What MP didn't mention is that only both LZ Peter named his first four albums consecutively (albeit with a subtitle in Peter's case). Bit of a difference.
MP probably didn't mention that because the quote sounds like it's made up anyway. Looks like HS still hasn't learned the lesson about checking sources.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3254 on: February 03, 2024, 10:52:24 AM »
At least this got us off the topic of click tracks and the relative kindness of people from different parts of the USA.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'