If YOU were writing the set list for the next DT tour...

Started by bosk1, March 05, 2024, 01:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaiseTheKnife

Quote from: Setlist Scotty on July 21, 2024, 10:20:18 PMYou Not Me, never. But I could still see him bringing back You *or* Me. IIRC, even in the FII demos liner notes, he hinted at the idea. Granted, that was before the split, but I can still see that being something he might resurrect, especially for an anniversary tour.

Yes, its mentioned in the liner notes.  I brought this up to MP at a meet n greet in 2009.  Would love to see the demo (and far superior) version make its debut.

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: RaiseTheKnife on July 23, 2024, 09:11:02 PMYes, its mentioned in the liner notes.  I brought this up to MP at a meet n greet in 2009.  Would love to see the demo (and far superior) version make its debut.
What did he say?
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

pg1067

Quote from: RaiseTheKnife on July 23, 2024, 09:11:02 PMYes, its mentioned in the liner notes.  I brought this up to MP at a meet n greet in 2009.  Would love to see the demo (and far superior) version make its debut.

Well...if you want the demo, you're not getting the superior version.

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: pg1067 on July 24, 2024, 09:17:21 AMWell...if you want the demo, you're not getting the superior version.
That's up for debate.  ;)
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

romdrums

I think an especially bold move by MP and DT would be doing nothing but the most difficult drum performances from the Mangini era and calling it the "Challenge Accepted!" tour. Barring that, I hope they troll us a bit. Like, if they're going to do Mangini era tunes, have it be things like Beneath The Surface and Far From Heaven, where they are MM era tunes but don't have any drums on them. I would love that!

TheBarstoolWarrior

Quote from: romdrums on July 24, 2024, 02:22:14 PMI think an especially bold move by MP and DT would be doing nothing but the most difficult drum performances from the Mangini era and calling it the "Challenge Accepted!" tour. Barring that, I hope they troll us a bit. Like, if they're going to do Mangini era tunes, have it be things like Beneath The Surface and Far From Heaven, where they are MM era tunes but don't have any drums on them. I would love that!

If you're not going to actually cover those drum performances I don't see the point in doing this and viewing it as a bold or challenging move.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

Trav86

Quote from: TheBarstoolWarrior on July 24, 2024, 04:32:02 PMIf you're not going to actually cover those drum performances I don't see the point in doing this and viewing it as a bold or challenging move.

He said two different things. Do the most challenging songs OR the ones with no drums to be funny.

TAC

Except I wouldn't think was funny if that's how they handled the MM Era exclusively. They won't do that though.

But in an Evening With format, Beneath The Surface or Far From Heaven would certainly be a good way to pace James.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

KevShmev

Quote from: pg1067 on July 24, 2024, 09:17:21 AMWell...if you want the demo, you're not getting the superior version.

Eh, that's like asking if you'd rather get kicked in the beans (You Not Me) or directly in the frank (You or Me). Both options suck swamp water.

(edited to make it a little cleaner)

romdrums

Quote from: Trav86 on July 24, 2024, 05:02:07 PMHe said two different things. Do the most challenging songs OR the ones with no drums to be funny.

This. As a fan since 1992, I just want to see the band mess with the fans' expectations a little bit. I don't want them to open with PMU or Met I, but if they do, put The Alien or Answering The Call second, or something like that. As a drummer, I want to see MP step up and play some of Mangini's more challenging parts. The Alien would be a great example of that, as would Pale Blue Dot or Moment of Betrayal. I think that would be MP showing MM a huge sign of respect, while also letting the fans know he's been doing his homework!

On the flip side, I think it would be humorous to troll the fans that are clamoring for them to honor the MM years by using things like the NOMACS tracks as the only MM-era tunes they include in the set. Would they go that far? Highly unlikely. But, I would find that funny!

Ultimately, I want to be surprised by what they choose, and I want some elements of danger in their setlists. Work out a cool MM-era medley, or a new arrangement or two of some old songs, something that makes it fresh.

Chino

I'd honestly lose all respect if they trolled in such a fashion. MM took so much shit early on, and from a lot of people, for the entirety of his tenure with DT. That wasn't an easy gig, and he handled with as much grace and professionalism as somebody could. It would be a monumentally dickish thing for them to do. 

romdrums

Quote from: Chino on July 25, 2024, 08:12:19 AMI'd honestly lose all respect if they trolled in such a fashion. MM took so much shit early on, and from a lot of people, for the entirety of his tenure with DT. That wasn't an easy gig, and he handled with as much grace and professionalism as somebody could. It would be a monumentally dickish thing for them to do. 

That's why my first option would be the better option.

The Paddies

If they really want or need to 'troll' perhaps it's nicer to have one of the Nomac-tracks being played from tape and then suddenly start The Alien afterwards. That would be quite a surprise.

But rather than some 'trolling' I'd just like to have a great setlist with one or two 'hidden gems' and/or maybe a little bit of a jam in a song. Let the fun be in the playing together again. And indeed, Mangini deserves all the respect.

RaiseTheKnife

Quote from: Setlist Scotty on July 23, 2024, 09:16:30 PMWhat did he say?

Nothing.  He gave a silent thousand yard stare that showed me how burnt out he was at that point.  In fact, I may have caused MP to originally quite Dream Theater.  Okay, that was in 2009, well before his departure, so of course I jest.

TheBarstoolWarrior

Quote from: romdrums on July 25, 2024, 08:08:05 AMThis. As a fan since 1992, I just want to see the band mess with the fans' expectations a little bit. I don't want them to open with PMU or Met I, but if they do, put The Alien or Answering The Call second, or something like that. As a drummer, I want to see MP step up and play some of Mangini's more challenging parts. The Alien would be a great example of that, as would Pale Blue Dot or Moment of Betrayal. I think that would be MP showing MM a huge sign of respect, while also letting the fans know he's been doing his homework!

On the flip side, I think it would be humorous to troll the fans that are clamoring for them to honor the MM years by using things like the NOMACS tracks as the only MM-era tunes they include in the set. Would they go that far? Highly unlikely. But, I would find that funny!

Ultimately, I want to be surprised by what they choose, and I want some elements of danger in their setlists. Work out a cool MM-era medley, or a new arrangement or two of some old songs, something that makes it fresh.

A lot of fans can't even process that a click track was used or that *god forbid* the guys are just getting older and aren't moving on stage like they used to but you want the band to just mess with them  :lol
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

romdrums

Quote from: TheBarstoolWarrior on July 25, 2024, 05:21:25 PMA lot of fans can't even process that a click track was used or that *god forbid* the guys are just getting older and aren't moving on stage like they used to but you want the band to just mess with them  :lol

Exactly! :tup