Author Topic: 2023 NCAA College Football-Hail to the Victors!!!  (Read 8326 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2023 NCAA College Football
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2023, 12:56:52 AM »
Wow!

Welcome back!
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2023, 10:20:33 AM »
It's his annual visit to the thread to gloat about beating the Bears  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2023, 12:28:43 PM »
Why would anyone feel the need to gloat about beating Cal?  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2023, 04:02:20 PM »
Why would anyone feel the need to gloat about beating Cal?  :biggrin:

As history proves, it's one of the easiest things to accomplish in college football, and it looks to only be getting easier.

I think aside from Stanfurd, this is going to be a long fucking year with maybe one more win on the docket at one of the Arizona schools, and finishing with the firing of Coach Wilcox...I like the guy and all, but man, along with team integrity a few wins would be nice. Very uneasy about Cal's next five years with a new coach, a new conference, and a gutting to our recruiting budget. Yikes man...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2023, 01:07:13 PM »
Great article on Hal Mumme, Mike Leach, and the history of the Air Raid Offense: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38556301/stories-air-raid-offense-revolutionized-football
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2023, 08:27:47 AM »
PSU has a bye week, but lots of interesting games this weekend. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2023, 12:01:57 AM »
This USC - Arizona game is crazy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2023, 04:16:56 AM »
I wish I would have watched it now. The highlights on YouTube are pretty nuts. Hard to believe that Arizona was up 17 to nothing over USC at home.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2023, 09:02:26 AM »
I wish I would have watched it now. The highlights on YouTube are pretty nuts. Hard to believe that Arizona was up 17 to nothing over USC at home.

I turned it off and went to bed when it was 17-14 and it looked like USC would pull away for the second half.  I guess the game stayed pretty competitive. USC has no defense, they aren't going to win the big one unless that unit improves.

The Texas Oklahoma game was another good one.

Nice to see ND get stomped

Lots of 10-25 ranked teams lost.  Should be a nice shake up to the rankings but I'd guess other than Oklahoma moving up, maybe not so much movement at the top.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2023, 01:30:26 PM »
Let's hear it for the Miami Hurricanes!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2023, 01:33:17 PM »
Let's hear it for the Miami Hurricanes!

:lol I can't believe a coach would make that call to not take a knee.  That should be a fireable offense.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2023, 01:39:32 PM »
Still baffled by that one.

Really liked Cal putting up 40 on OSU with a freshman third string QB, let's develop that kid.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2023, 01:45:03 PM »
Another 1:00 game this Saturday. The home schedule this year really blows...I miss watching games under the lights.

Lonestar, Cal's got a great chance to beat Utah at home this week, I think. I can't believe the odds makers are giving the Utes a 2 touchdowns, that's crazy given how bad Utah's offence has been this year and considering Cal's PPG average. I think there is a real chance that Cal either trounces Utah, or squeeks one by in a low scoring game.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2023, 02:03:41 PM »
Another 1:00 game this Saturday. The home schedule this year really blows...I miss watching games under the lights.

While PSU had a couple night games already (and I believe one more) the Big 10 really fucked up their negotiations with Fox to put ALL the top Big 10 games at noon (eastern).  So PSU vs. OSU, PSU vs. UM, and OSU vs. UM will all be at noon and those are the top 3 Big 10 games this year (and usually, most years).  Granted, OSU/UM is a historically noon game, but still.  Apparently Fox has done well by doing it via ratings, but it sucks for the fans. Going to suck for the West coast teams joining having to play at noon EST for their big games.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2023, 02:09:36 PM »
The disconnect between the teams and the fans on this issue is kinda funny. The teams all love the noon kickoffs, and the fans love the ambiance of night games!  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2023, 02:10:55 PM »
My alma mater Appalachian State is hosting one of our newest rivals Coastal Carolina under the lights tomorrow night.  Should be a highly entertaining.  They don't call it the Fun Belt for nothing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2023, 02:26:48 PM »
The disconnect between the teams and the fans on this issue is kinda funny. The teams all love the noon kickoffs, and the fans love the ambiance of night games!  :lol

I don't think PSU players like the noon kick offs.  THey are historically sloppy in first halves of noon games under the current coach.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2023, 09:13:53 AM »
Hey Podaar...

:gobears:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2023, 12:54:23 PM »
Like I said earlier, I think Cal has a good shot at taking this game.

GO UTES!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2023, 04:25:23 PM »
If there's anything positive that comes out of the conference re alignments, it's hopefully no more PSU vs UMass type of games. There's literally no reason besides money to play this game.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2023, 06:56:51 AM »
If there's anything positive that comes out of the conference re alignments, it's hopefully no more PSU vs UMass type of games. There's literally no reason besides money to play this game.
Homecoming?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2023, 10:52:32 AM »
Homecoming?

Well, it was homecoming, but it's a non competitive game.  For some reason I thought Umass was actually the lower divison like Delaware is, but they moved up like 10 years ago and actually are independant.  But still, the game was stupid and PSU paid them 1.5 million to take the beating just so PSU can get an extra home game and rake in the money.  This is totally common in FBS, but it really needs to go away.  There's so many more teams to play than something like that. 

And funny enough, winning 63-0 only knocked them back a spot in the rankings  :lol I understand why that happened (Washington with a big win) and things will be setlled this week when PSU plays OSU.  But it's all just too much about the money and not enough about competition.

Rant over.  Big game coming up.  College gameday will be there in Columbus.  THIS game is what I love about college football.  Top 10 teams going to battle, both undefeated, and both not really tested.  It's a toss up in my head although Franklin hasn't shown he can beat OSU beyond a fluke play so I would pick OSU, but this may be the best PSU to play OSU under Franklin.  The defense is just so good (check that, they dominate every statistical catagory) that I expect them to be in the game until the end. This is going to be on my mind all week.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2023, 11:00:55 AM »
I really like Penn State's chances against Ohio State.  I am certainly rooting for them.

That Washington/Oregon game was 10 pounds of fun in a 5 pound bag.  Just my kind of game.

You guys better look out for North Carolina.  If they handle their business, they will likely wind up in the playoff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2023, 12:44:46 PM »
I'd like to see UNC knock off FSU in the ACC championship.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2023, 01:03:42 PM »
That would be amazing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2023, 02:15:23 PM »
That would be amazing.

Enjoy the easy teams while it lasts... Next year the ACC will have to deal with the mighty Golden Bear

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2023, 02:19:04 PM »
That would be amazing.

I'll +1 that... 

I'll also say that the WV v/s Houston game on 10-12 was one of the best football games I've seen as far as last-minute plays are concerned.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2023, 08:19:43 AM »
That would be amazing.

Enjoy the easy teams while it lasts... Next year the ACC will have to deal with the mighty Golden Bear
:lol

I'll also say that the WV v/s Houston game on 10-12 was one of the best football games I've seen as far as last-minute plays are concerned.
That last quarter was crazy!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2023, 07:35:03 AM »
I slept so good last night...floating away on an ocean of USC fan's tears.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2023, 08:39:01 AM »
Always a good thing. :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2023, 09:12:53 AM »
Someone should call in a welfare check on TempusVox after that hideous UW win.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2023, 12:16:06 PM »
Utah won, but most of the other big games did not go the way I wanted.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2023, 01:07:58 PM »
It was hard to watch that PSU OSU game.  I knew PSU's offense was going to be put to the test, but I didn't expect our first year QB to be THAT bad.  He looked pathetic.  It didn't help that PSU's offensive play calling was mind boggling.  Like lets run it on 3rd and 14, but pass on 3rd and 1 and then wonder why the team didn't covert a single 3rd down the entire game.  I was pretty sure that if PSU lost, it would be due to coaching and I still stand completely behind that.  Our QB looked like he was stil in high school, but it was 100% on the coaches for putting it all on him and not giving more pass plays to the RB or TEs.  Trying to make plays with our poor WR makes no sense.  Using an option play makes no sense, he's not a threat to run.  Basically all the offensive questions from the first 6 games got exposed by OSU.  Good on them for doing that, but it was hard to watch.  The PSU defense is incredible though.  They kept the team in the game and had some incredible stops. 

There's no reason to think PSU won't win out besides the Michigan game.  The big 10 is just not good besides the top and there's no reason to think PSU will be competitive against UM based on that OSU performance and our recent history against UM.  But every other game should be a W.  10-2 would be a great season for most schools, but doing it again after last year and not getting a win against UM or OSU is going to leave a very sour taste in most PSU fans mouths.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2023, 01:32:11 PM »
I'm SHOCKED Michigan would cheat!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38700739/michigan-staffer-eyed-center-elaborate-scouting-scheme-sources-say

This story has gotten juicier and jucier each day this week.  Looks like Michigan also may have helped South Carolina win games against Clemson and Tennessee to end last season which helped Michigan make the playoffs. That accusation is wild to me, but there's a lot of evidence of this apparantly.  TCU was aware of Michigan stealing their signs and was able to spend weeks changing it up to have their upset win against them in the playoffs.  The evidence and accusations are really mounting up against them.

And I've also confirmed my plans to attend the PSU vs. Michigan game in 2 weeks with my college friends  :metal I would love nothing more than PSU to win that game and boo the fuck out of Harbough the cheater.