Author Topic: Rock In Rio 2022 Stream???  (Read 11330 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rock In Rio 2022 Stream???
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2022, 12:29:56 PM »
I'm sure they have a decade in them still, but that's still not a very long time.  I don't expect JP to just stop performing, but I can see DT as a band stopping and them going to do their own things if say JLB wanted to quit. 

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2022, 12:37:09 PM »
I'm sure they have a decade in them still, but that's still not a very long time.  I don't expect JP to just stop performing, but I can see DT as a band stopping and them going to do their own things if say JLB wanted to quit.
I could see that. I hope for more but I would be happy with another solid decade, and then solo/collaborative projects as they are willing/able.

I can still see them going til 80, though!
“It’s the gloomy things that need our help. If everything in the garden is sunny, why meddle?”
— Lady Sybil Crawley, Downton Abbey, Season 1

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2022, 02:46:52 PM »
They could easily have another 10 years in them at least.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2022, 05:06:13 PM »
I don't understand the thought that the band would likely call it quits if JLB left. Is he so integral to the band and their happiness that they just cannot go on without him according to most of the fans? MP did WAY more for the band and then came out very arguably stronger with his replacement. 

A lot of fans would be sad, but I think people are underestimating how many fans would be very happy if this happened. It's pretty obvious that the guys love their job and love playing. Plus this is their legacy and livelihood.  I do not see DT ending if the guy who many people believe is the weakest (musical) link called it a day. Ultimately this is a band that is driven by the instruments-- guitar specifically-- and as long as the key song writers are there, they will endure...health permitting.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2022, 02:03:53 AM »
They've got to at least make it their 50th Anniversary tour. That's one where I think Portnoy would be performing on and one to celebrate big with. Maybe make it a big event with two, or even three, days dedicated to being a special show, something that could be done towards the end of the tour leg/cycle.

JLB is integral to what JP, and likely the rest of the band, consider the Dream Theater "sound." I can see their side as well, since they are also the ones playing beside him. It'd probably be pretty awkward after all these years, playing with a different singer/front-man.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2022, 08:41:54 AM »
Dream Theater just doesn't come off to me as a band that will go the route of other longevity bands where it's just JP left as the remaining original member.  I could be completely wrong as this is just how I feel and have no idea how the band feels.  The band already proved they could continue without MP, but for some reason I find it hard to believe they would continue without JLB or JP. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2022, 12:03:21 PM »
Dream Theater is right now in the position that Yes was in around the Magnification album. That was twenty years ago and Yes is still around, albeit with a much different line up. But it's still a band. So who can tell if we will be able to recognize Dream Theater twenty years from now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2022, 12:24:28 PM »
Makes me wonder if this JP tour coming up has some meaning towards what JP can do on his own if DT were to end. 

Maybe one day there is no DT but JP tours playing a mix of his solo stuff and dream theater songs and that's closest you'd get to seeing "Dream Theater".  Kind of like how Roger Waters is these days if you want to see something as close to Pink Floyd.

I mean, who knows, all speculation and thought. 

Online geeeemo

« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2022, 01:28:25 PM »
Makes me wonder if this JP tour coming up has some meaning towards what JP can do on his own if DT were to end. 

Maybe one day there is no DT but JP tours playing a mix of his solo stuff and dream theater songs and that's closest you'd get to seeing "Dream Theater".  Kind of like how Roger Waters is these days if you want to see something as close to Pink Floyd.

I have wondered something like this as well. Jordan's touring, learning a new instrument, expanding. James talked about touring his new album, and then posted about another solo album in the works. MM is busy with his teaching and teaching book....

I hope not soon though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2022, 01:42:34 PM »
MP's Shattered Fortress could always come back too.  Honestly, that band was pretty awesome.

Offline Animal

« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2022, 02:27:38 PM »
Dream Theater is right now in the position that Yes was in around the Magnification album. That was twenty years ago and Yes is still around, albeit with a much different line up. But it's still a band. So who can tell if we will be able to recognize Dream Theater twenty years from now.

I have been thinking about Yes too - reading all these discussions about whether JLB can or can't be replaced. I mean, Jon Anderson was probably the closest thing to a truly irreplaceable singer. Just like JLB, his singing was a big part of trademark band sound. An unlike JLB, he was integral do the band's creative direction and songwriting. Yet replaced he was - and twice at that. Whether the band was any good without him is beside the point (even though Drama is pretty well regarded by fans) - the point is that even someone everybody says they can't imagine a band going without can be successfully replaced.

All that said, I don't think it is likely JLB will be replaced. Nor should he be. Unlike Anderson, he has got one important point going for him - he's apparently a very good bandmate. Easygoing guy who doesn't stir trouble and is a not a pain in the ass to deal with. Granted, DT is business but they are also people. At this stage of their career,  I believe they value their friendship and positive atmosphere in the band a lot more than maximizing the quality of live performance and, in the effect, revenue.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2022, 10:21:10 AM »
^ to your point...there are seemingly unreplaceable people who left bands for whatever reason and the bands carried on successfully. AC/DC and Black Sabbath come to mind as does the case you mention.

Offline Kram

« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2022, 02:53:04 PM »

I've been kinda thinking of this as well and actually wondering if they'll play any DT material (maybe an instrumental like Ytsejam or Hell's Kitchen) on this tour?  Or maybe some LTE?  Because I can see JP touring solo in the future like you said, and doing LTE material as well.