Author Topic: The "A View from the Top of the World tour is awesome!" thread (spoilers)  (Read 38464 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
The 'tour' thread is locked so just wanted to drop a couple comments about the show last night.

First off, JLB sounded really friggin' good. I think he and the band are doing a great job at working around his 58  year old vocal chords when it comes to songs that it's just physically impossible for him to hit the notes any longer....like "6:00", sounded great.

Second, JP was entirely too loud. He drowned out the other three guys in many sections last night where while you could 'hear' them....the utter volume of his guitar was dare I say distracting at times. He needed to be bumped down a bit IMO.

MM is a beast on drums. Plain and simple....dude just gets after it and it's fun to watch. JMX is just steady eddie and fires away at that bass....his fingers are always going 100mph. In some of the sections where he was highlighted he really shined.

My boys had a blast and I went ahead and sprung for merch.....bought them each a concert shirt so they were happy about that as well. All in all, the concert was great and I was happy we didn't have to road trip to see them, but my small nit pick is JP overpowered the entire band in multiple spots last night. But that didn't detract from the fact we got to see DT again.

Highlights for me were:
  - Awaken the Master   - Incredible Live
  - AVFTTOTW was awesome Live
  -  JLB sounded great

Who knows how many more opportunities we will have for that? I looked up their ages as my wife was asking me and JR is 65, JLB and MM are 58, JP is 54 and JMX is 55. JR is the one that 'scares' me as 65 is no joke as far as touring and what not. JLB mentioned they're going to tour for the next year and half....puts them a solid 2.5-3 years out from a new album.....JR may be 68 before they tour again! Crazy!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 08:51:19 AM by bosk1 »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 07:03:26 AM »
That's awesome Gary!!! Can't wait for next week here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 09:13:35 AM »
Awesome, Gary!  I fully agree that Awaken and View were incredible live.  (see my review in the Oakland thread)  Interesting mix issue.  I thought the mix on the instrumentalists was just about perfect in Oakland, and JP's guitar tone was incredible on most songs.  My issue with the mix at that show was just that the vocals were too low and the vocal backing track was too high.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 09:57:24 AM »
Awesome, Gary!  I fully agree that Awaken and View were incredible live.  (see my review in the Oakland thread)  Interesting mix issue.  I thought the mix on the instrumentalists was just about perfect in Oakland, and JP's guitar tone was incredible on most songs.  My issue with the mix at that show was just that the vocals were too low and the vocal backing track was too high.

It was weird because it was only in moments.....not the whole time. I don't know if it was the venue acoustics or where we sat (first row balcony) but there were just times where JP's guitar drowned everyone. OR, I just can't hear because I'm old  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The "A View from the Top of the World tour is awesome!" thread (spoilers)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 08:52:15 AM »
Not sure why some are bothered by "spoilers" in the other thread, but since some complained, this is now its own thing.  (and there is obviously other tour discussion in the concerts/setlists subforum)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 10:14:47 AM »
Amazing show. 2nd time seeing DT. Hope to see them again within a few years.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 03:24:56 PM »
Didn't someone post here that JP said they would add more shows after the European leg (or whenever that is)??

And any word on them videoing this tour?

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 05:53:32 PM »
Didn't someone post here that JP said they would add more shows after the European leg (or whenever that is)??

Last night in Cincinnati, James said they plan to tour for the next year and a half and said they would be "coming back here".

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 06:09:20 PM »

Last night in Cincinnati, James said they plan to tour for the next year and a half and said they would be "coming back here".

I heard 2 year tour in Oakland, then 1 1/2 years in Denver.

And ya! this tour is awesome!! I can't imagine there would ever be a bad DT tour.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 07:04:29 AM »
I don't know if this is the right place for this question because there are a few tour threads but...historically has weather cancelled shows? I ask because it will be snowing 5-8" in Boston on Friday just in time for the show. That's really not that much snow, but I thought I'd inquire here anyway. Anybody else going to the Boston show?

-Tof

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 07:08:49 AM »
I don't know if this is the right place for this question because there are a few tour threads but...historically has weather cancelled shows? I ask because it will be snowing 5-8" in Boston on Friday just in time for the show. That's really not that much snow, but I thought I'd inquire here anyway. Anybody else going to the Boston show?

-Tof

We were talking about it here..

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57218.35

Not sure what forecast to believe. 5" over the course of Thursday night to Friday evening should be fine.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 07:55:21 AM »
There's been a few times that it has happened. Off the top of my head, there were 3 shows in March(?) 1993 that they canceled because of a super bad storm in the NE. And in 2006 they were supposed to play Salt Lake City but because of the weather - specifically the mountainous roads they needed to take to get there from the previous gig - they had to cancel. Otherwise, I can't think of any other occasions where they canceled due to the weather.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 12:28:23 AM »
IDK if it's related to weather but I had a cancelled gig in france 2004 because their gear wasn't arriving from eastern europe
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
So I was a "wait and see" guy as far as the tour goes when the album came out.  I liked, not loved, the album and while it's grown on me a bit, it's not in the upper tier of DT records.   I had taken a wait-and-see approach to the tour, and honestly was leaning against going.

Fate has it, I decided to listen to the epics in order to make my ranking, and about that same time, I found out I'm able to go Saturday to the show in Wallingford.  On top of seeing a bunch of friends again, I've been playing the setlist on my iPod, and frankly, I'm getting pretty stoked.   I'm actually really excited to see this show. 

This isn't a dig, and I'm not looking to start something, but I'm hoping that James delivers.  So many of the songs in the set are, for me, favorites because of James.  Fingers crossed....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Bill, he was pretty good in Boston. He seems to have really settled in. That first week of the tour was atrocious for him. I actually thought the whole band was off a bit.

AVFTTOTW is amazing live. JP's Moore-esque solos in the middle, and holy shit does that outro bring it home.

Offline Kram

Bill, he was pretty good in Boston. He seems to have really settled in. That first week of the tour was atrocious for him. I actually thought the whole band was off a bit.

AVFTTOTW is amazing live. JP's Moore-esque solos in the middle, and holy shit does that outro bring it home.
100% agree!  I'm sure you'll love the show Stadler..

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
This isn't a dig, and I'm not looking to start something, but I'm hoping that James delivers.  So many of the songs in the set are, for me, favorites because of James.  Fingers crossed....

I have faith he will.  From my experience, he always does, but it's not until I go back to the video where you notice some of his struggles.  In person, I almost never notice these so it has never taken away from the actual live experience.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Honestly the worst thing about James these past few tours has been his stage banter. :lol (thankfully that only happens a couple times per show)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online evilasiojr

https://youtu.be/ehsnpiCLVNY

Just watched this video from the Boston show. The outro section/riff on A View from this performance was amazing to watch on YT, I can only imagine in person! It's clearly one of those passages that improve 100% live, even more with MM's energetic playing. Wasn't a huge fan of this part on the record, but live it sounds truly badass  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Just watched this video from the Boston show. The outro section/riff on A View from this performance was amazing to watch on YT, I can only imagine in person! It's clearly one of those passages that improve 100% live, even more with MM's energetic playing. Wasn't a huge fan of this part on the record, but live it sounds truly badass  :metal

That outro may have been THE signature moment of the show for me. It was incredibly powerful. When it ended, I turned to my son and said "That was incredible", and he replied "Yeah", which is a very affirmative answer for him as he is not into DT.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
That first week of the tour was atrocious for him.

Can't speak to any other shows, because I wasn't there, but he was pretty great at Oakland.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
There's been a few times that it has happened. Off the top of my head, there were 3 shows in March(?) 1993 that they canceled because of a super bad storm in the NE. And in 2006 they were supposed to play Salt Lake City but because of the weather - specifically the mountainous roads they needed to take to get there from the previous gig - they had to cancel. Otherwise, I can't think of any other occasions where they canceled due to the weather.

Lignano, Italy, in 2017, 1 minute before the show was supposed to start because of the rain - and the stage being very poorly coverd.
Clearly i was there with first row ticket in front of JP and an after show pass (won through the astonishing app) that never happened.

Offline Architeuthis

Can't speak to any other shows, because I wasn't there, but he was pretty great at Oakland.
Yep, he was great in Seattle too!    💯💥
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Honestly the worst thing about James these past few tours has been his stage banter. :lol (thankfully that only happens a couple times per show)

Is he still using that "rock and roll voice" to do the stage talk?  You know what I mean...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

I have faith he will.  From my experience, he always does, but it's not until I go back to the video where you notice some of his struggles.  In person, I almost never notice these so it has never taken away from the actual live experience.

And that's how it is with me, too.  My bar isn't THAT high; I don't mind some struggles.  It's when it gets so bad that it's noticeable even WITH the energy of the live experience.   I'm talking to you, Vince Neil.   ;)   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Well, I haven't watched any footage from Oakland, but the footage from Mesa and LA is not flattering. My main point was that I feel like he's gotten stronger as the tour has gone on. The clips in Chicago, Detroit, and Boston are all pretty good, and much better than the first few shows. And that's to be expected.

Online evilasiojr

That outro may have been THE signature moment of the show for me. It was incredibly powerful. When it ended, I turned to my son and said "That was incredible", and he replied "Yeah", which is a very affirmative answer for him as he is not into DT.

That must have been so cool  :metal

Offline Kram

That must have been so cool  :metal
I just watched that video and I can confirm James sounds WAY better here, then he did at the San Diego show (2nd show of the tour).  That's great news!  And yes, the outro to A View is bad ass!  I've been saying for awhile that I consider A View a top 10-15 all time DT song.  And as time is passing by, I feel that opinion is only getting stronger.

Offline Architeuthis

Gosh I hope they release a dvd from this tour.  I really like their last dvd, but I like the overall presentation from this tour even better.  Everything from the stage production, lighting and setlist. This tour also features some of JP's best guitar playing ever imo, and JLB is in great form too.  This would make for a beautiful dvd/bluray production. 

:corn   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
I've been saying for awhile that I consider A View a top 10-15 all time DT song.  And as time is passing by, I feel that opinion is only getting stronger.

💯

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I don't think it would get close to that high for me.  But that's just a commentary on how strong the DT catalog is, and not at all an indictment of AVFTTOTW.  It really is a great song.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Tonight’s show in NYC was great. The entire band was on point, including James. There was even a special guest in the crowd tonight: Mike Portnoy.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
A show-goer on Twitter mentioned that James gave Mike a shoutout and Mike saluted back.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Letter M

Tonight’s show in NYC was great. The entire band was on point, including James. There was even a special guest in the crowd tonight: Mike Portnoy.

Has it been stated if Mike has ever seen DT since he left the band, or is this the first DT concert he's attended since 2010?

A show-goer on Twitter mentioned that James gave Mike a shoutout and Mike saluted back.

I just saw that - https://twitter.com/brianjheaton/status/1499951160555233281?t=OjJLxUxZpP5SNTEzTGQd7w&s=19

Mike himself retweeted it, which is how I saw it on my Twitter feed.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
When Samsara talks, people listen.