Author Topic: Mesa, AZ 2/2/2022 - Mesa Arts Center (Setlist Spoilers)  (Read 21789 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Mesa, AZ 2/2/2022 - Mesa Arts Center (Setlist Spoilers)
« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2022, 11:38:18 AM »
JLB did mention to the crowd, "You may have seen the video for this next song."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2022, 12:01:08 PM »
Anyone know what the merchandise situation looks like or have pictures?

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2022, 12:07:07 PM »

For ATM?

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2022, 12:08:41 PM »
Having decided to sit this tour out, I knew I'd wanna go the minute I saw the setlist! And man, that's a good one! I was convinced we'd get some of the I&W songs on this tour, but no. They seem to have correctly identified the key songs from the new album and aren't over playing it. Endless Sacrifice is always VFM, Ministry is a song I've never seen, and The Count is one of my all time favourite DT songs, I really didn't see that coming. Wonder what they'll rotate? I really want to get a ticket now, but I'm still not sure a 2 hour show is worth it. But still, that's about my ideal setlist (even if they're not playing The Killing Hand...) ❤️
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2022, 12:10:20 PM »
Having decided to sit this tour out, I knew I'd wanna go the minute I saw the setlist! And man, that's a good one! I was convinced we'd get some of the I&W songs on this tour, but no. They seem to have correctly identified the key songs from the new album and aren't over playing it. Endless Sacrifice is always VFM, Ministry is a song I've never seen, and The Count is one of my all time favourite DT songs, I really didn't see that coming. Wonder what they'll rotate? I really want to get a ticket now, but I'm still not sure a 2 hour show is worth it. But still, that's about my ideal setlist (even if they're not playing The Killing Hand...) ❤️

2 hours is way worth it, especially if you love the setlist. These guys aren’t getting any younger, and this could very well be the last time a lot of these songs are performed considering how generally obscure this setlist seems to be.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2022, 12:25:16 PM »
I really hope they do MOLS every night and don’t swap it out, would hate to miss that one.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2022, 12:53:01 PM »
How was the overall sound and mix?  Could you hear everyone clearly?  How about the 8 string, how did that come across live?
It's a small venue but made for music, so I thought the mix was really good from where I was sitting (about halfway between the sound board and the outer wall).  There were times, as you'd expect for a first show, that JLB's mike wasn't turned up enough to hear him, but other than a few of those, I thought the mix was good.  Sometimes MM's snare was way to punchy for me, but that might be what he was going for rather than the mix at the time.  :lol

The 8-string sounded good to me, but there were times I thought it was a bit muffled early on in the song [EDIT:  I listened to the song again and that's exactly the tone he was going for, so never mind...it sounded great! LOL].  Overall it sounded good though.  JR even brought out the keytar and that was mixed well with JP.  JM was in the mix and could be heard, but was dialed back a bit as he usually is in my history with DT's shows.  Other folks may feel differently depending on where they were sitting.

Looking at some of the videos from the show, MM used a Brass snare this time around, so that's probably it :biggrin:

Also, which song did Jordan use the keytar for? Endless Sacrifice maybe?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2022, 01:04:22 PM »
TMOLS is one of my least favorite songs but at least I'll know when to take a piss before the epic.

Otherwise setlist looks good, like pretty much everything but Endless Sacrifice.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2022, 01:19:30 PM »
Definitely am surprised by the setlist - in particular that they brought back several MP-era tracks that they already did with MM (6:00, ES, AtC and TCoT). Gotta think that there will be alternating setlists again just like there were for the Dramatic tour. Really surprised they brought back TMoLS - I wonder how long that will stay in the set. To me, that song is a sleeper, and I could see it being swapped if it doesn't get a great response from the audience.

Hopefully it gets swapped out for Saturday.

Cool to see TCoT brought back and glad there's a complete lack of IaW and SFaM tracks!

Agree on both counts.

TMOLS is one of my least favorite songs but at least I'll know when to take a piss before the epic.

Same.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2022, 01:22:41 PM »
I think Lost Souls is soooooo beautiful and I’m so glad to see it on the setlist
Funny how I love MOLS but not TCOT... different strokes.

Offline Kram

« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2022, 01:28:19 PM »
MOLS is Ok, but it does kind of slog along.  The outro is cool but I'd rather them use the 10-11 mins on another song/songs.  I think TCOT will be kick ass live though.  Pretty sure I never saw them play that before so should be cool!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2022, 01:29:48 PM »
Any chance they could alternate encores, TCOT and 8V?  I know, extreme long shot, but the thought just popped into my head.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2022, 01:30:09 PM »
I'm really happy that nothing in the setlist was played last tour... it means every song will be my first time seeing it live.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2022, 01:31:25 PM »
Any chance they could alternate encores, TCOT and 8V?  I know, extreme long shot, but the thought just popped into my head.

This thought popped into my head too but I don't see it happening. They know that as popular as TCOT is, Octavarium is probably even more popular. People would straight-up riot if they missed out on 8V, lol. I think they'll do that on another tour.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2022, 01:34:52 PM »
I think possibly the strangest thing about this list is nothing from DOT and only a single song from the four MM-era albums prior to View.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2022, 02:13:25 PM »
I'll be surprised if we see any songs rotated.  I don't see them swapping out any of the older songs (I doubt they'd rehearse songs that long only to play them every other night), and I don't see any of the new songs being ones they'll swap out either.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2022, 02:36:37 PM »

For ATM?

I've seen some ATM videos.  :hat
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2022, 02:45:57 PM »

I was in the same boat, and TCoT was probably the only song that could've gotten me to go. Mad eup my mind, and hear that my bro's friend may have to work that night and might have to dump his ticket...it's like it was meant to be.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2022, 02:51:13 PM »

My memory is sketchy already (getting old), but I could have sworn I remember it during 6:00, although I guess it could have been ES. {facepalm}  :\ :metal

EDIT:  I knew Ben's pics would prove my memory sketchy.  It WAS ES. :(
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 03:43:39 PM by BFRedrocks »

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2022, 02:53:33 PM »

As much as I hate to say it, I never went over to the merch booth, so I don't know.  I thought that Ben checked it out and said there wasn't much.  ???

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #195 on: February 03, 2022, 03:00:33 PM »

For ATM?

:lol When your post becomes a failpost due to being at the top of the page.

He was talking about Invisible Monster.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #196 on: February 03, 2022, 03:11:14 PM »

For ATM?

:lol When your post becomes a failpost due to being at the top of the page.

He was talking about Invisible Monster.

Lol, gotcha!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #197 on: February 03, 2022, 03:26:12 PM »
Wtf I'm actually super hyped, hope they leave most of the setlist the same for the European tour. The only thing I'm not super keen of are the song off of a new album. Still, it's an epic setlist.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2022, 03:28:01 PM »

My memory is sketchy already (getting old), but I could have sworn I remember it during 6:00, although I guess it could have been ES. {facepalm}  :\ :metal

It was during Endless Sacrifice.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2022, 03:31:21 PM »

As much as I hate to say it, I never went over to the merch booth, so I don't know.  I thought that Ben checked it out and said there wasn't much.  ???

There are

A Zip-up Hoodie
Long sleeve Shirt with Your dates and picture of band in front
Album cover tour T-shirt
A black shirt with a pink design of balloons ( I think this is a Womens shirt, unless I am wrong, I didn't bother to ask)
Beanie
Tour Poster
Signed Vinyl
Hat
Keychains

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: February 03, 2022, 03:45:06 PM »

Thanks for proving that I'm getting old.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #201 on: February 03, 2022, 03:50:19 PM »

:metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kram

« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2022, 04:03:03 PM »

There are

A Zip-up Hoodie
Long sleeve Shirt with Your dates and picture of band in front
Album cover tour T-shirt
A black shirt with a pink design of balloons ( I think this is a Womens shirt, unless I am wrong, I didn't bother to ask)
Beanie
Tour Poster
Signed Vinyl
Hat
Keychains
Do you remember how much they were asking for a hat?

Offline Kram

« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2022, 04:03:36 PM »

This thought popped into my head too but I don't see it happening. They know that as popular as TCOT is, Octavarium is probably even more popular. People would straight-up riot if they missed out on 8V, lol. I think they'll do that on another tour.
I tend to agree.

Offline Kram

« Reply #204 on: February 03, 2022, 04:05:14 PM »
I think possibly the strangest thing about this list is nothing from DOT and only a single song from the four MM-era albums prior to View.
I tend to agree with this as well.  I mean, if they were trying to not overlap any songs from last tour, all they had to do was play a song from DOT that they did not play last tour.

EDIT They're playing Bridges in the Sky, that's a Mangini tune.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2022, 04:43:11 PM »

Do you remember how much they were asking for a hat?

Enough to cover their um..over head.

sorry..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #206 on: February 03, 2022, 05:18:16 PM »
Overall it looks like a pretty good set list, some good choices.

Is it true that unless they are featuring a whole album they never choose a song where Portnoy wrote the lyrics?

Also, Answering the Call is my fav by far on the new album so its a shame they aren't playing this.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 05:47:27 PM by The Realm »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #207 on: February 03, 2022, 05:20:00 PM »
Is it true that unless they are featuring a whole album they never choose a song where Portnoy wrote the lyrics?

No, that's not true. They played TROAE on the ADTOE tour and TSF on the DT12 tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #208 on: February 03, 2022, 05:47:26 PM »
I tend to agree with this as well.  I mean, if they were trying to not overlap any songs from last tour, all they had to do was play a song from DOT that they did not play last tour.

EDIT They're playing Bridges in the Sky, that's a Mangini tune.

Right.  Hence, "only a single song from the four MM-era albums prior to View."

Offline The Realm

« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2022, 05:57:18 PM »

No, that's not true. They played TROAE on the ADTOE tour and TSF on the DT12 tour.

OK cool.