Author Topic: Mesa, AZ 2/2/2022 - Mesa Arts Center (Setlist Spoilers)  (Read 22150 times)

Offline UndercoverMyung

Re: Mesa, AZ 2/2/2022 - Mesa Arts Center (Setlist Spoilers)
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2022, 11:56:16 PM »
How long was the DT set roughly? Like 2 hours?

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2022, 12:08:30 AM »
You get to count minutes :)
Expect that there will be some clips on youtube in a few hours

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2022, 12:09:54 AM »
How long was the DT set roughly? Like 2 hours?

Yeah, they started at 8:30 local time and ended right around 10:30 or maybe 10:35. 30 min break between Arch Echo and DT.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2022, 12:11:15 AM »
You get to count minutes :)
Expect that there will be some clips on youtube in a few hours

Lol yeah I keep checking youtube haha

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2022, 12:29:04 AM »
Checking out a live version of Tuscany from 2011. It’s much better than the studio version imo. This makes me happy. I’m excited for this encore now.

Offline jadiggerdt

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2022, 12:30:13 AM »
Definitely am surprised by the setlist - in particular that they brought back several MP-era tracks that they already did with MM (6:00, ES, AtC and TCoT). Gotta think that there will be alternating setlists again just like there were for the Dramatic tour. Really surprised they brought back TMoLS - I wonder how long that will stay in the set. To me, that song is a sleeper, and I could see it being swapped if it doesn't get a great response from the audience.

Cool to see TCoT brought back and glad there's a complete lack of IaW and SFaM tracks!

The one thing I'm curious about is if they changed up the tracks live or if they were pretty much like on the album. A buddy of mine who was at the show posted that he thought both 6:00 and TMoLS were a half-step down - can anyone confirm?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2022, 12:46:48 AM »

...glad there's a complete lack of IaW and SFaM tracks!

:tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2022, 01:40:02 AM »
Seems odd to me that they'd completely ignore their two most universally loved releases (I&W and SFAM).  Wanted to give others some love I guess.

Maybe odd, but a great decision imo and rightly due. When's the last time time this happened, outside of the TA tour?

The Along For The Ride Tour didn't feature any I&W songs, save for some festival dates where they played "Pull Me Under".
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Mladen

« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2022, 02:09:57 AM »
The biggest surprise is The Ministry of lost souls, which is a top three Dream Theater song for me. I might have to reconsider skipping this tour...

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2022, 02:23:01 AM »
GREAT setlist.
Only disappointment to me is that I expected this tour, of all tours, them to play Glass Prison, given it's 20th anniversary.

When was the last time it was played?
Does DT not want to play this song anymore? Is it because of its personal meaning to MP?
Must be one of their best known songs, alongside the likes of Pull Me Under, Spirit, As I Am and Panic Attack...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2022, 02:50:28 AM »
I assume that it's probably due to the fact that it relies on the backing vocals a lot, which isn't something that Petrucci gets into that much. It's also in terms of difficulty one of the most challenging songs in the catalogue. 

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2022, 03:06:46 AM »
WHAT AN EPIC ENDING!!!

I didn't even look at the time, so didn't get a guess at what would be an encore based on time left. When I heard the first guitar notes, I was all, they're really doing this.

Back at my Hotel room.

This was an amazing show and an amazing, surprising Setlist.

How was the attendance? Full house? Also, any social distancing or face mask rules? Tx

Offline DTA

« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2022, 03:10:51 AM »
I’m surprised that SC/BCSL got songs played again after they were represented on the D/T tour. Seems like they should’ve given some love at least to DT12 and possibly D/T as well.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2022, 04:01:53 AM »
Killer set in my opinion!!

The only change I'd suggest is swapping Bridges with Lost Not Forgotten, cause it's one of my favorite songs. But Bridges is an awesome song too.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2022, 05:00:39 AM »
GREAT setlist.
Only disappointment to me is that I expected this tour, of all tours, them to play Glass Prison, given it's 20th anniversary.

Does DT not want to play this song anymore? Is it because of its personal meaning to MP?
I don't think that's an issue. Back in 2014, they played "The Shattered Fortress" many times (as well as "Space-Dye Vest").

I remember reading a JP interview where he stated that some of the guitar parts on that song are some of the hardest he has had to play.

According to setlist.fm, it was last played in 2006, at the end of the Octavarium tour.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2022, 05:07:51 AM »
This reminds me quite a bit to my very first DT concert, back in 2008. They also played 10 songs, with "The Ministry Of Lost Souls" as the closer of the main set. The pre-Rudess material was also very limited at that show.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2022, 05:19:51 AM »
I'm pretty happy with that setlist with the exception of TMoLS, which I've always found to be a massive slog to get through.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2022, 06:35:49 AM »
That's not the setlist I would have drawn up, but I would be glad to get that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2022, 07:19:29 AM »
GREAT setlist.

Must be one of their best known songs, alongside the likes of Pull Me Under, Spirit, As I Am and Panic Attack...
It was last played in 2006 on the 20th Anniversary tour

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2022, 08:12:57 AM »
My thoughts:

* The Alien - Obviously

* 6:00 - They played this ten years ago which was awesome but my first instinct was, "They're bringing it out so again so soon?" Then I realize 10 years is actually a long time and I'm just really old.

* Awaken The Master - Seems this song gets some of the least love on the new one but I love it

* Endless Sacrifice - Again? So soon? Oh yeah I'm old.

* Bridges In The Sky - Probably my favorite DT intro song. Will be interesting to see it in the middle of the set

* Invisible Monster - So underrated.

* About To Crash - Blah. SDOIT and they play this one all the time! Wait, About to Crash they haven't played in a long time and this is the only song I really like off of disc 2. Ok, I'm sold. For some reason I was hearing War Inside My Head when I read the title. I don't need to hear that one again for a long time.

* The Ministry Of Lost Souls - SC is one of my favorite DT albums. Definitely the minority on that one. But now when I listen to it I almost always skip this one. It's a great song but I gotta be in the right mood to listen to it which I never am.

* A View From The Top Of The World - Obviously

* The Count Of Tuscany - Ugh. Then again, I was not happy about Nightmare to Remember and ended up loving that live. After a decade I'm finally starting to get over the lyrics being so...silly.

Question: Are they still doing the VIP meet and greets and all that? Seems it wouldn't be wise.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2022, 08:42:50 AM »
 Man, color me excited with this setlist! We all have our preferences, and it's never going to be 100% what we want, but I think this will be an amazing show. Honestly, if the Toronto show really happens, I am tempted to buying the meet & greet package now!!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2022, 09:09:14 AM »
They played this ten years ago which was awesome but my first instinct was, "They're bringing it out so again so soon?" Then I realize 10 years is actually a long time and I'm just really old.

Well, 10 years is a long time, but it feels way shorter this time because most of these songs were played at the ADTOE tour vs lots of other older songs which haven't been played since the 2000's.

* About To Crash - Blah. SDOIT and they play this one all the time! Wait, About to Crash they haven't played in a long time and this is the only song I really like off of disc 2. Ok, I'm sold. For some reason I was hearing War Inside My Head when I read the title. I don't need to hear that one again for a long time.

They actually did this one in 2015, but it was just for a bunch of festival shows in Europe. I really like the song, but it seems like a weird choice to play it just by itself in the middle of the set.

Having said all of that, I'd be SO THRILLED if I had the chance to see this show/set live.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2022, 09:54:36 AM »
How was the attendance? Full house? Also, any social distancing or face mask rules? Tx

Attendance wasn't too bad...I'd guess about 75% full, although there are three levels (I was on the lower level) and couldn't see how full the two upper levels were.  The venue only seats about 1,600, so it's just not a big place, but pretty much most of the lower level was full.

On the masking, Mesa relaxed its mask requirements and made them optional.  Interestingly (to me) is that I thought a much higher percentage of the early attendees (ones who got there for the opening act) wore masks, but after that, it was much lower.  Overall I'd say maybe about 20% wore masks, but no other "evidence" of the pandemic was noticeable at the venue.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2022, 09:58:23 AM »
Checking out a live version of Tuscany from 2011. It’s much better than the studio version imo. This makes me happy. I’m excited for this encore now.
In all honesty, I've never been a huge fan of this song, but I have to admit it just worked last night as a killer encore/ending IMHO. 

Also, I thought all the background videos that played during the set were spot on, and I even caught myself watching the videos a couple of times instead of the band.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2022, 10:01:39 AM »
In all honesty, I've never been a huge fan of this song, but I have to admit it just worked last night as a killer encore/ending IMHO. 

Also, I thought all the background videos that played during the set were spot on, and I even caught myself watching the videos a couple of times instead of the band.

I enjoyed the footage for A View...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2022, 10:10:29 AM »
The Count is a bit meh, but I thought it ratcheted up a couple notches when I saw it live back in 2010/2011?

Looking at this at a glance, About to Crash sticks out like a sore thumb.

Curious for the thoughts of Ben and those who attended. Specifically... which song(s) got the most pop from the crowd?
Tough to say really.  Having been a fan since I&W, I loved them bringing out some of the older stuff, but I'm pretty sure over half the crowd heard 6:00 start up and they were like what the hell is this?  I think the crowd was into the newer stuff more than the older stuff (although I thought ES gave the crowd a jolt), presumably because they're mostly newer fans.  I like About to Crash, so I was totally cool with it, although I thought the transition to Ministry was a bit odd.  Both songs still worked for me...especially the second half of Ministry.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2022, 10:22:37 AM »

I enjoyed the footage for A View...
Yeah, me too!  That's the one where I caught myself watching the video more than the band!  Plus, being an underwater photographer myself had me watching probably more than I should have.  I was also mesmerized by JP's new "regular" guitar.  The "Ember Glow" color is stunning!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Maj6EG--ernie-ball-music-man-majesty-ember-glow

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2022, 10:25:31 AM »
The Count is a bit meh, but I thought it ratcheted up a couple notches when I saw it live back in 2010/2011?

Looking at this at a glance, About to Crash sticks out like a sore thumb.

Curious for the thoughts of Ben and those who attended. Specifically... which song(s) got the most pop from the crowd?

It was hard for me to tell where I was sitting in the front. But those of us on the front enjoyed it a lot, and stood for the entire show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #169 on: February 03, 2022, 10:36:37 AM »
I'd swap MOLS for S2N.  Surprising that there are no songs from d/t.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kram

« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2022, 11:04:13 AM »
No matter what they choose to play some people will complain.  For me the set looks pretty good overall.  The two that stand out as being least appealing to me are About to Crash and MOLS - but you guys who were there are reporting they came across really well so that's cool.  I'm really glad to see Bridges in the Sky I absolutely love that song.  How was the overall sound and mix?  Could you hear everyone clearly?  How about the 8 string, how did that come across live?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 11:27:47 AM by Kram »

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2022, 11:06:03 AM »
Ministry is beautiful imo... pleasantly surprised to see that on the setlist.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2022, 11:11:10 AM »
Question: Are they still doing the VIP meet and greets and all that? Seems it wouldn't be wise.
No meet and greets that I'm aware of.  James did high-five a few folks in the front at the end of the show, but that's about as close to a "meet and greet" that they were doing.  Makes sense.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2022, 11:19:04 AM »
How was the overall sound and mix?  Could you hear everyone clearly?  How about the 8 string, how did that come across live?
It's a small venue but made for music, so I thought the mix was really good from where I was sitting (about halfway between the sound board and the outer wall).  There were times, as you'd expect for a first show, that JLB's mike wasn't turned up enough to hear him, but other than a few of those, I thought the mix was good.  Sometimes MM's snare was way to punchy for me, but that might be what he was going for rather than the mix at the time.  :lol

The 8-string sounded good to me, but there were times I thought it was a bit muffled early on in the song [EDIT:  I listened to the song again and that's exactly the tone he was going for, so never mind...it sounded great! LOL].  Overall it sounded good though.  JR even brought out the keytar and that was mixed well with JP.  JM was in the mix and could be heard, but was dialed back a bit as he usually is in my history with DT's shows.  Other folks may feel differently depending on where they were sitting.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 11:27:46 AM by BFRedrocks »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2022, 11:28:03 AM »
Bummer to see only four new songs in the set list, but looks good overall. 

If you are going to only do four new songs, I would have chucked the obvious weak link that is Invisible Monster for any of the other three, and if they were going to bring back a longer song from the 00s, The Glass Prison or In the Name of God would have made far more sense IMO than the slog that is The Ministry of Lost Souls (great ending, but it feels like serious work to get to it), but it is what it is.  Also strange to see only one song total from the first four albums with Mangini.