Author Topic: NHL (2021-2022) v. Congrats Avs. Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.  (Read 80885 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No way on Torts. Sweeney needs someone to encourage the younger kids. Apparently doesn't matter if they're not ready...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
When it comes to coaching, for the Flyers, I have to look at Cassidy as a new exciting candidate. Trotz is the obvious gold centerpiece of the market, and if the Flyers can land him, you gotta do it. Past that I hope they go with a more unexpected or unorthodox hire, mainly because over the next 2-3 seasons they aren't going to be top in the league anyway.

As far as people I don't want, I would definitely include DeBoer.

Torts would cause me to root for another team for the length of his time with the Flyers.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I kind of feel like Bergeron is going to retire, but I wonder if firing Cassidy is the first step to him returning.

Have the Islanders hired a coach yet?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
That is a little surprising about Cassidy, but it seems like hockey is a sport where coaches never last too long on one team. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Only had a 245-108-46 record. Playoffs every year.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Lots of rumors that Blues Assistant Coaches Jim Montgomery and Steve Ott may be targets for Head Coach positions. Montgomery obviously has done it……has thrived in St. Louis and says he’s ready to coach again. Ott has been great as well as an assistant so maybe he’s ready for the jumps to HC?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Good lord….Smith just crapping the bed in this third period. All goals he’s let up were extremely savable. Edmonton thought the game was over

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte

Yeah Lou brought in the assistant coach, Lane Lambert.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Good lord….Smith just crapping the bed in this third period. All goals he’s let up were extremely savable. Edmonton thought the game was over

He is beyond terrible.  That goal that made it 5-4 Avs was just horrendous.  This is why I gave the Oilers little to no shot to win this series, and why I said all along that Blues/Avs was the real Western Conference Final.  The winner of that was obviously going to steamroll the winner of Flames/Oilers.  The Oilers might steal one in OT tonight, but that just means they will lose in 5 instead of 4.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Ehh….pi$$ on the AVs. All that Oilers series did was tick me off even more about Kadri taking out Binnington and lament the other side of the bracket being less difficult.

Offline Anguyen92

Mike Smith is the oddest goalie ever to watch in these playoffs.  For the first two periods, everything was fine.  Made like 25+ saves in a 3-1 lead going into the 3rd.  The 3rd, holy f***, that was a horrible period for him.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 09:22:57 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
The Avs goaltending didn’t look all that great either. Francouz looked small in net. That might be the Achilles heel against whoever they end up facing in the final.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Anguyen92

Francouz, at least, got a shutout in Game 2, so he's not all too garbage in comparison.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Mike Smith is the oddest goalie to have watched in these playoffs.  For the first two periods, everything was fine.  Made like 25+ saves in a 3-1 lead going into the 3rd.  The 3rd, holy f***, that was a horrible period for him.

He looked scared. Brutal goals to give up.

F’n Colorado is 12-2 in the playoffs! Haven’t lost on the road!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
The Avs goaltending didn’t look all that great either. Francouz looked small in net. That might be the Achilles heel against whoever they end up facing in the final.

I am hoping they lose so bad. Their team will lose a few folks after the season…..not to say their Championship window would close after that but they won’t be a powerhouse like they are now. Especially with average goaltending.

I think either NY or TB can certainly take them. But man, they are on quite the heater

Offline TheCountOfNYC

With the goaltending coming out of the West, I really NEED the Rangers to come out on top this series. As good as Colorado has looked offensively, their goaltending makes them vulnerable, and whoever comes out of the East can definitely take advantage of that, especially after a full series against one of the top two goalies in the league. If ever the Rangers had a chance to win the Cup, it’s now. And I really don’t want to root for Colorado, which is exactly what will happen if Tampa’s quest for the three-peat continues into the Finals.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah Lou brought in the assistant coach, Lane Lambert.

Ah that’s right.

Offline pg1067

To touch or not to touch.

The superstition of not touching the conference trophy began with the Eric Lindros and the Flyers in 1997.  Before that, everyone touched it (Lemieux, Gretzky, Yzerman, Messier, Sakic).  So...should you or shouldn't you?

- From 1997-2021 (24 seasons), teams who DON'T touch the conference finals trophy are only 11-16 in the SCF.

- On the other hand, teams who touch the conference finals trophy are 13-8.

- In seasons where one conference champ touched the trophy and the other didn't, the team that DID touch it won the Cup 8 of 11 times.

- Western Conference champs have only touched the Campbell bowl 8 of 23 times (and Montreal did not touch it when the Habs won the Bowl in 2021).

- Western Conference champs won the Cup in 13 of 23 seasons.  They touched the Campbell Bowl in 5 of those 13 seasons.

- Eastern Conference champs have touched the Wales Trophy 12 of 23 times (and Tampa Bay touched it when the Lightning won the Trophy in 2021).

- Eastern Conference champs won the Cup in 10 of 23 seasons (plus 2021 when both finalists were Eastern Conference teams).  They touched the Wales Trophy in 7 of those 10 seasons (plus the Lightning in 2021).

- In seasons where both teams touched the conference trophy, the Western Conference has a 3-2 advantage.

- In seasons where both teams didn't touch the conference trophy, the Western Conference has a 6-2 advantage.

Conclusions?

None of this really matters, but it was statistically unwise for Landeskog to touch the Campbell Bowl, and it will be statistically wise for the Eastern Conference champ to touch the Wales Trophy.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheCountOfNYC

My anxiety is spiking. That can only mean one thing: it’s game time.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TheCountOfNYC

I can feel the momentum shifting in this series. I can’t help but feel like the Rangers are in trouble.

-MirrorMask

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I can feel the momentum shifting in this series. I can’t help but feel like the Rangers are in trouble.

Come join me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Come join me.

Yeah.....I mean.....NY looked GREAT the first two, heck...even game three they played well enough to have potentially won that game. G3 was a game they really needed though, obviously if they go up 3-0 that's a tough road back for TB. But after yesterday's game TB looks to have found a groove now and Vasilevskiy is starting to settle in also so that's not good for NY.

It's a best of three now which can still go either way. I'd think these next couple games are going to be tight and it's only logical to assume that the experience of TB is going to start to factor in big time.....it's been fun hockey to watch though.

Offline Anguyen92

Another late goal in the 3rd to lose the game for the Rangers.  Can't obviously win games like that.

Offline faizoff

Got a little testy after the final whistle blew. That was a tight game, both goalies were playing out of their minds.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheCountOfNYC

If you need me, I’ll be in my panic room.

-MirrorMask

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah … all three goals were just players flipping the puck towards the net, and it made it thru a sea of players. The goaltending was lights out.

Methinks this is the end of the line for the Rangers.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Maroon just showed a lot of class IMO because he was shoved into the goalie and instead of just dead falling on him he did all he could to dive/roll over him. Quite a few players would have deadfallen on him and tried to hurt him.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Maroon and class should never be used in the same sentence. It may have been the smart move, but class had nothing to do with it.

Offline faizoff

What a shot and goal by Stamkos.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Maroon and class should never be used in the same sentence. It may have been the smart move, but class had nothing to do with it.

Nah. That was class. The smart move is to dead fall and try and knock him out if the game/series.

But I can understand your distain for Maroon given he was on the 2019 Stanley Cup Champion Blues who beat the Bruins  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Nah. That was class. The smart move is to dead fall and try and knock him out if the game/series.

But I can understand your distain for Maroon given he was on the 2019 Stanley Cup Champion Blues who beat the Bruins  :biggrin:

First of all, that's a low blow.  :tdwn
I think Pat Maroon is a fucking douche. There's nothing classy about him.

It doesn't matter who he plays for. He's one of my least favorite players, and the 2019 Finals has nothing to do with it. Nothing. He's a fucking dirty after the whistle shit stirrer.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Maroon is a good guy, by all accounts.

Imagine rooting for Brad Marchand and then calling a player on another team not classy. :P :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So he'd walk a fucking old lady across the street. So would Marchand. As would Tiger Williams and Chris Nilan.

Whatever

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I’m somewhere in between. Just because someone doesn’t do something dirty, doesn’t mean it’s classy. And Maroon is a greasy player. I’m not sure he’s dirty, but he sure ain’t in the conversation around the Lady Byng.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

A goalie standing on his head and carrying the team on his back? An offense full of talent that can’t get anything going? A coach making questionable decisions in/for big games? Yup this is definitely Rangers hockey.

-MirrorMask