Things I find a tad exasperating v.3

Started by XJDenton, June 26, 2021, 01:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAC

Quote from: lordxizor on December 26, 2023, 07:57:04 AM
National parks in the US have gotten crazy popular in recent years. I am trying to make camping reservation for Grand Teton in June, 6 months to the day in advance. The electric campsites in popular campgrounds boo up instantly. Now I need to figure out plan B since I missed out on what I wanted despite being online to make the reservation at the exact moment they went active.

You mean, you were online the moment they went on sale? I'm surprised they're only being made available 6 months out.
I wonder if they already have them spoken for if you're in some National Parks Club or something like that.

We spent a few days in Jackson Hole a few years ago. So nice out there.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

ProfessorPeart

I've railed at the USPS before and am going to do it again. I ordered something last week. It shipped from Oregon. I live in IL, west of Chicago. I checked the tracking today and the package left Oregon, arrived in Indianapolis (?!?) and from there went to Cincinnati (??!?!?!?). Where do they think IL is? You already blew past it when you went to Indiana and you go even further East after that? Technically, you went the exact wrong direction. USPS is turning into FedEx, and it doesn't get much worse than that.
Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 14, 2023, 11:17:53 AMbeul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Quote from: Indiscipline on November 14, 2023, 02:26:25 PMPardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history.

Stadler

^^ I ordered some stuff from a Jeep equipment supply place; I even called them, talked to a great guy named Jason, so that I could have the stuff (gift cards, with a free gift) by Saturday, before Christmas.  Well, they arrived Tuesday, December 26th and no free gift (yet). 

I don't really care about the free gift (I was going to give it to my step son) but it's a banner with the name of the store and it looked pretty cool, and he might like it on his wall. 

Stadler

I don't know if this is the place, but when did the semi-defiant "Let's GO!" often followed with "Let's FUCKING GO!", often accompanied by appropriate flexing gestures, become a thing as an expression of... I'm not sure what?   I've been meaning to post this for a while, but then, today, I've come across it FOUR TIMES (including the Tetris video, and TAC posted a Brady meme where he's saying that). 

EDIT: And it's not just me; if you google "Let's go" there's a fairly healthy - though unsatisfying and inconclusive - discussion on that phenomenon.

TAC

Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 05:50:21 AM
I don't know if this is the place, but when did the semi-defiant "Let's GO!" often followed with "Let's FUCKING GO!", often accompanied by appropriate flexing gestures, become a thing as an expression of... I'm not sure what?   I've been meaning to post this for a while, but then, today, I've come across it FOUR TIMES (including the Tetris video, and TAC posted a Brady meme where he's saying that). 

EDIT: And it's not just me; if you google "Let's go" there's a fairly healthy - though unsatisfying and inconclusive - discussion on that phenomenon.

Well, it's a rallying cry by one of the biggest sports icons of the last 20 years, often repeated from Championship games and such.  Aren't these things bound to catch on in public/pop culture?

I mean, you know me...pop culture expert!  ;D
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Lonk

I never understood the use of it, but have no problem when people use it.

I was the most boring player when I used to play basketball because even when I had a great play, I would just walk back to my position to continue the game lol no flexing or anything.

Stadler

Quote from: Vmadera00 on January 03, 2024, 06:12:42 AM
I never understood the use of it, but have no problem when people use it.

I was the most boring player when I used to play basketball because even when I had a great play, I would just walk back to my position to continue the game lol no flexing or anything.

I have no problem with it; I'm just a fascinated observer of these kinds of phenomena. 

I'm like you; I think it was Barry Sanders, I could be wrong, but he once said something to the effect of "don't go crazy when you score; act like it's where you belong and that you're going to be there again soon" or something like that.  I love that.  Now THAT'S something I could complain about; the ridiculous celebrations in football; blows me a way that a team could be getting creamed by 20 points yet they're celebrating like they actually WON something (and don't get me started on the planned 'skits' some players run now. Please.)

cramx3

I use the "lets go" phrase all the time when I'm gaming. It's become a thing because very popular people have been saying it in sports.

One season it was huge on Big brother, the person who eventually won the entire game was saying "lets go" the entire show  :lol

It's just another expression in life that took on something else because it became popular.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 06:48:45 AM
I'm like you; I think it was Barry Sanders, I could be wrong, but he once said something to the effect of "don't go crazy when you score; act like it's where you belong and that you're going to be there again soon" or something like that.  I love that.  Now THAT'S something I could complain about; the ridiculous celebrations in football; blows me a way that a team could be getting creamed by 20 points yet they're celebrating like they actually WON something (and don't get me started on the planned 'skits' some players run now. Please.)
You are such an old man.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Stadler

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 03, 2024, 07:37:57 AM
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 06:48:45 AM
You are such an old man.

:tup

Jamesman42

hefstaddy, what are you talking about exactly?
\o\ lol /o/

pg1067

Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 05:50:21 AM

AT LEAST 23 years ago, when Ray Lewis and the Ravens defense were at the height of their dominance.

TAC

Speedbumps..

Now I understand slowing down to go over them, but do you have to come to a complete fucking stop and then inch over them? WTF? Don't be such a pussy!

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on January 05, 2024, 03:16:38 PM
Speedbumps..

Now I understand slowing down to go over them, but do you have to come to a complete fucking stop and then inch over them? WTF? Don't be such a pussy!

It's these assholes that treat their cars like their most valued prized possession.  Those dickheads that have their cars so low they have to go over them on an angle is what gets me.

King Postwhore

Get rid of speedbumps and use them to fill in potholes.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Grappler

Speedbumps..

Counterpoint - my mom has alzheimer's and is fully wheelchair-bound and we rode in a medi-van with her today to get her to the hospital.  The driver of the van slowed down almost to a stop every time we crossed train tracks, or entered a driveway, where it could be bumpy.  He wanted to prevent her from slipping out of the wheelchair if we hit a big bump. 

I found that to be extremely considerate of the driver, despite the frustration of other people like you. 

orcus116

Speedbumps..

I get where you're coming from but not all speedbumps are alike. There's a few in a shopping area near me were if you don't slow down you're going to be popping your front and back fender on each time you go over them, even if you have normal car clearance.

Similarly to your point and apologize to the thread if I've mentioned it before but when people come to a complete or almost complete stop to make a right hand turn off of a major road. It's not a stop sign just fucking turn and keep moving.

TAC

Quote from: Grappler on January 05, 2024, 08:48:16 PM
Speedbumps..

Counterpoint - my mom has alzheimer's and is fully wheelchair-bound and we rode in a medi-van with her today to get her to the hospital.  The driver of the van slowed down almost to a stop every time we crossed train tracks, or entered a driveway, where it could be bumpy.  He wanted to prevent her from slipping out of the wheelchair if we hit a big bump. 

I found that to be extremely considerate of the driver, despite the frustration of other people like you.

Um..."people like me" would have no issue with an elderly transport van or a school bus.

Podaar

Yeah, "people like TAC" are far more likely to be behind a twenty-something creeping over a speed bump in their Corolla so as not to spill the bowl of cereal they're eating.

King Postwhore

Also, the driver wouldn't have to take precautions if the speed bump wasn't there.

I'm OK with speed bumps neer schools and parks but those in private neighborhoods are the ones that drive me batty.  Especially,  those that are not made of asphalt.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Evermind

Quote from: TAC on January 06, 2024, 05:19:25 AM
Speedbumps..

Um..."people like me" would have no issue with an elderly transport van or a school bus.

Noted. Next time please take an elderly transport van. Unfortunately I don't think they'll let you ride in a school bus. :)
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Jamesman42

Speedbumps..

I'm just afraid I'll spill my beer if I go too fast
\o\ lol /o/

ReaperKK

Speedbumps..

I inch over them because I fucked my first car's suspension up going over the many speedbumps at my university.

Quote from: wolfking on January 05, 2024, 03:37:18 PM
Speedbumps..

It's these assholes that treat their cars like their most valued prized possession.  Those dickheads that have their cars so low they have to go over them on an angle is what gets me.

Other than my house my car is my most valued possession, I'm a big car guy and the speedbumps height isn't regulated in the states so I'm for sure going to slow down and go over it carefully because I worked hard to afford a car I like, why damage it to save a few seconds?

Stadler

Quote from: King Postwhore on January 06, 2024, 05:33:05 AM
Also, the driver wouldn't have to take precautions if the speed bump wasn't there.

I'm OK with speed bumps neer schools and parks but those in private neighborhoods are the ones that drive me batty.  Especially,  those that are not made of asphalt.

We have one road near me - out in the fucking sticks, too - that has "speed tables".   It's an asphalt bump, but it extends about five feet down the road.   Absolute pain in the ass, and I know it's some local asshole that complained about someone speeding in their neighborhood.

Grappler

Speedbumps..

I worded that too strongly.  The van wasn't marked and didn't look like a special transport vehicle, aside from a wheelchair ramp built into the back.  I just found it interesting that on the same day I had a thought about how considerate the driver was, someone was complaining about people driving slowly over speed bumps. 

TAC

Quote from: Grappler on January 06, 2024, 12:42:36 PM
Speedbumps..

I worded that too strongly.  The van wasn't marked and didn't look like a special transport vehicle, aside from a wheelchair ramp built into the back.  I just found it interesting that on the same day I had a thought about how considerate the driver was, someone was complaining about people driving slowly over speed bumps.

Ironic..don'tcha think?   ;D

pg1067

Back in October, I bought a ticket for Styx's mini "residency" in Vegas (the theater at the Bellagio the weekend before the Super Bowl) and booked a flight from Orange County to Vegas - leaving Friday afternoon and returning Sunday afternoon.  The return flight was around noon, so that gave me time to sleep in a little, have breakfast and get to the airport.

A couple months after I booked the trip, the airline (Frontier) changed my noon flight to 8:something, and it's Frontier's only nonstop flight from Vegas to OC (which is less than an hour flight).  It's one thing when a flight changes by a few minutes here or there, but four hours earlier is ridiculous.  I bit the bullet and spent $60 on a different return flight on a different airline.

wolfking

Quote from: ReaperKK on January 06, 2024, 10:49:51 AM
Speedbumps..

I inch over them because I fucked my first car's suspension up going over the many speedbumps at my university.

Quote from: wolfking on January 05, 2024, 03:37:18 PM
Speedbumps..

Other than my house my car is my most valued possession, I'm a big car guy and the speedbumps height isn't regulated in the states so I'm for sure going to slow down and go over it carefully because I worked hard to afford a car I like, why damage it to save a few seconds?

Yeah I know, I'd be exactly the same if I were a car guy.  :lol

I still get annoyed being behind you though going over one when I want to use it as a jump!  ;D

lordxizor

We're having a big leadership meeting next week at work with leaders from all of our sites. My boss has asked me to provide a "personal theme song" for the event. In typical me fashion, I am way overthinking this. Should this just be my favorite song? What is my favorite song anyway? Should the lyrics be meaningful to me? I honestly don't pay a lot of attention to lyrics. Do I care if the song will be at all palatable to everyone else there? Or do I go for a loud metal song? Likely only a few seconds of this will be played, if at all, so maybe I shouldn't care if I choose something like A Change of Seasons which is super long.

What a stupid assignment. It's causing me more anxiety and stress than the actual work that I need to prep for this meeting.

Skeever

Quote from: lordxizor on January 10, 2024, 05:25:03 PM
We're having a big leadership meeting next week at work with leaders from all of our sites. My boss has asked me to provide a "personal theme song" for the event. In typical me fashion, I am way overthinking this. Should this just be my favorite song? Should the lyrics be meaningful to me? I honestly don't pay a lot of attention to lyrics. Do I care if the song will be at all palatable to everyone else there? Or do I go for a loud metal song? Likely only a few seconds of this will be played, if at all, so maybe I shouldn't care if I choose something like A Change of Seasons which is super long.

What a stupid assignment. It's causing me more anxiety and stress than the actual work that I need to prep for this meeting.

Go with the most popular song you know that you also like. The event is not about demonstrating your deep music tastes to one or two people who might get it, it's about making connections.

lordxizor

Quote from: Skeever on January 10, 2024, 05:30:31 PM
We're having a big leadership meeting next week at work with leaders from all of our sites. My boss has asked me to provide a "personal theme song" for the event. In typical me fashion, I am way overthinking this. Should this just be my favorite song? Should the lyrics be meaningful to me? I honestly don't pay a lot of attention to lyrics. Do I care if the song will be at all palatable to everyone else there? Or do I go for a loud metal song? Likely only a few seconds of this will be played, if at all, so maybe I shouldn't care if I choose something like A Change of Seasons which is super long.

Go with the most popular song you know that you also like. The event is not about demonstrating your deep music tastes to one or two people who might get it, it's about making connections.
I know it's work, and we're not establishing deep connections with each other, but with all the talk of encouraging people be their "authentic selves" and other bullshit like that, I want to be at least partly authentic about my choice. So it will need to be a song that I genuinely love, but I'll probably choose the most mainstream and accessible song that falls into that category.

jingle.boy

We're having a big leadership meeting next week at work with leaders from all of our sites. My boss has asked me to provide a "personal theme song" for the event. In typical me fashion, I am way overthinking this. Should this just be my favorite song? What is my favorite song anyway? Should the lyrics be meaningful to me? I honestly don't pay a lot of attention to lyrics. Do I care if the song will be at all palatable to everyone else there? Or do I go for a loud metal song? Likely only a few seconds of this will be played, if at all, so maybe I shouldn't care if I choose something like A Change of Seasons which is super long.

Go with Mike Portnoy's version of Burn it to the Ground.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

lordxizor

I'm leaning towards Erotomania at the moment :lol

jammindude

Quote from: lordxizor on January 11, 2024, 05:08:09 AM
I'm leaning towards Erotomania at the moment :lol

That's actually not a terrible idea. It would say that you're into complex music, and the title (if given) would confuse people. Those who don't know what it means would probably draw incorrect conclusions, and those who do know what it means would start finding you "mysterious"...  :rollin

TAC