News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Still "a thing" since 2007.

Main Menu

Things I find a tad exasperating v.3

Started by XJDenton, June 26, 2021, 01:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAC

Perhaps I'm being shortsighted, or you're being..far sighted, but I have no idea how friendsgiving is in any way part of a larger problem. It's just a word that just means a group of friends getting together for a thanksgiving party of some sort. It's not a word that's fighting for its own place in the world, or proof that the world is going to pussy hell.

You're out crankying me!!!...and that's saying something. :lol
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

King Postwhore

Thank God I was sitting down when I read this, Tim. Lol
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

TAC

Quote from: King Postwhore on November 21, 2023, 03:03:34 PM

:lol

It was a low blow, wasn't it? :lol
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

wolfking

King Postwhore

Quote from: TAC on November 21, 2023, 03:09:09 PM
Quote from: King Postwhore on November 21, 2023, 03:03:34 PM

:lol

It was a low blow, wasn't it? :lol

I WAS SO CONFUSED AND FAINT!
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

pg1067

Quote from: wolfking on November 21, 2023, 03:24:45 PM
What the hell is Trunk or Treat?

It is an alternative to trick-or-treating - typically for younger kids.  Instead of (or in addition to) handing out candy at their homes, a group of parents (typically affiliated with a school or church) set up in the school/church parking lot and hand out candy out of their car trunks.  Instead of going door-to-door, the kids go from car-to-car.

https://www.realsimple.com/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-trunk-or-treat-7568515

wolfking

Quote from: pg1067 on November 21, 2023, 09:11:36 PM

It is an alternative to trick-or-treating - typically for younger kids.  Instead of (or in addition to) handing out candy at their homes, a group of parents (typically affiliated with a school or church) set up in the school/church parking lot and hand out candy out of their car trunks.  Instead of going door-to-door, the kids go from car-to-car.

https://www.realsimple.com/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-trunk-or-treat-7568515

That's a really great idea.

Jamesman42

Quote from: wolfking on November 22, 2023, 02:15:44 AM
Quote from: pg1067 on November 21, 2023, 09:11:36 PM

That's a really great idea.

As the article mentions, decorating the trunk is (or can be) a big part of the fun. The kids love it both going around and decorating for it.
\o\ lol /o/

Zydar

I'm just glad it doesn't involve Eddie Trunk somehow.

Stadler

Quote from: Zydar on November 22, 2023, 06:10:57 AM

He thinks it does.

hefdaddy42

I think we can all agree with this.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

romdrums

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 22, 2023, 07:53:19 AM
I think we can all agree with this.

For real. Eddie Trunk is certainly no treat!

wolfking

What an annoying flog that guy is.  Go and listen to some Kix you pussy.

faizoff

I used to love Eddie Trunk, his shows with MP and many others were fun and fantastic to listen. Then he became the old man screaming at the cloud guy and my interest completely fizzled.

I still remember how offended and personally attacked he felt and sounded when Lady Gaga covered Metallica on some awards show. I wonder if he's still complaining every few mins about how Kiss is still not in the rock n roll hall of fame.

Cool Chris

The overuse of the word "iconic." There is a series on YT where actors discuss the "iconic characters" they have portrayed. I don't generally care to listen to celebs talk about themselves much, but I enjoyed a few of them. But there are videos featuring Ethan Hawke, John Leguizamo, and Paul Dano. Are we really saying Ethan Hawke has played "iconic" characters?

KevShmev

Quote from: Cool Chris on November 22, 2023, 08:22:24 PM
The overuse of the word "iconic." There is a series on YT where actors discuss the "iconic characters" they have portrayed. I don't generally care to listen to celebs talk about themselves much, but I enjoyed a few of them. But there are videos featuring Ethan Hawke, John Leguizamo, and Paul Dano. Are we really saying Ethan Hawke has played "iconic" characters?

I have seen a bunch of those.

I chuckled at the Jason Bateman one, as he has so few that his role in Teen Wolf 2 (a terrible movie by all accounts) was listed as one of them. :lol :lol

In the case of Hawke, I feel that Dead Poets Society is absolutely an iconic film, but not sure I'd call Todd Anderson an iconic character.  Don't get me wrong, the cast was excellent, but that feels like a film where Mr. Keating is the one iconic character.

Stadler

Quote from: faizoff on November 22, 2023, 05:10:29 PM
I used to love Eddie Trunk, his shows with MP and many others were fun and fantastic to listen. Then he became the old man screaming at the cloud guy and my interest completely fizzled.

I still remember how offended and personally attacked he felt and sounded when Lady Gaga covered Metallica on some awards show. I wonder if he's still complaining every few mins about how Kiss is still not in the rock n roll hall of fame.

No, now he's flogging the "live singing" thing, pimping his friends' bands from Las Vegas who play to 12 people a night.

Stadler

Dude, I am with you 1000% percent.  EVERY reality show - Dancing With The Stars, Masked Singer, etc. - has to label things as "iconic" and easily half the time I'm like "Really? That earned the label?"

It's yet another brick in the wall of that insecurity I talk about; we can't be average.  We can't be normal. We HAVE to be "iconic".  You can add the word "super" to this as well.  "I was super excited."  "It was super easy."   WTF.  Why isn't "excited" enough? 

jingle.boy

Quote from: Stadler on November 24, 2023, 06:49:13 PM

Dude, I am with you 1000% percent.  EVERY reality show - Dancing With The Stars, Masked Singer, etc. - has to label things as "iconic" and easily half the time I'm like "Really? That earned the label?"

It's yet another brick in the wall of that insecurity I talk about; we can't be average.  We can't be normal. We HAVE to be "iconic".  You can add the word "super" to this as well.  "I was super excited."  "It was super easy."   WTF.  Why isn't "excited" enough?

For all the things we disagree on, I'm with you in lock step there.  Every time I hear the superlative "super" put in front of another adjective, I mentally cringe.  Society slaps around certain terms and language so loosely nowadays.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

KevShmev

Kind of like this trend of people calling something "my truth," which means, "I can lie and make up any story I want and call it 'my truth' and it somehow becomes a truth."  I roll my eyes every time I see someone, even if I am a fan of said person, use that expression.

jingle.boy

Quote from: KevShmev on November 25, 2023, 05:03:26 AM
Kind of like this trend of people calling something "my truth," which means, "I can lie and make up any story I want and call it 'my truth' and it somehow becomes a truth."  I roll my eyes every time I see someone, even if I am a fan of said person, use that expression.

I'm with you there too.  I find those same people will respond to "facts" with "that's how YOU see them".  Uh, no.  Facts are fucking facts.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

King Postwhore

ReaperKK

ReaperKK

Oh fuck I hate, HATE the "my truth" thing.

Stadler

Quote from: ReaperKK on November 25, 2023, 05:58:57 AM

Again, though, it creates this false sense of "ownership".  It's MINE. It's SPECIAL.  I'M SPECIAL.  I'm, dare I say it, SUPER special!   

Honestly, it's kind of pathetic.

TAC

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: Stadler on November 25, 2023, 09:03:30 AM

Again, though, it creates this false sense of "ownership".  It's MINE. It's SPECIAL.  I'M SPECIAL.  I'm, dare I say it, SUPER special!   

Especially Special.... :lol

XJDenton

I only really have a problem with the phrase when people start using it justify not believing in objective truth.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
― Terry Pratchett

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: XJDenton on November 25, 2023, 09:36:28 PM
I only really have a problem with the phrase when people start using it justify not believing in objective truth.

What if their objective truth is different from your objective truth?

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: Stadler on November 25, 2023, 09:03:30 AM

didn't Taylor Swift say it first? lol i think it's in one of her songs (living "my truth", etc)

EDIT: It was public comments in support of Pride Month a few years back, not a lyric in one of her songs (though there still might be one, lol)
https://www.nme.com/news/music/taylor-swift-speaks-out-for-pride-month-im-sending-my-respect-and-love-to-those-bravely-living-out-their-truth-2953475

Skeever

TaySwift's music being "good" sure sounds like a lot of people's personal truth to me!

Re: Friendsgiving

It's a secondary event, not a Thanksgiving replacement.
Young people are so torn these days, often pressured by 2-4 sets of parents who all have 100% of their wishes for the future of the family placed solely on them. The result is, holidays can be more stress than fun, as younger people try to divide the time and "please everyone". With most people coming from families of 3-4, I think it's just natural that the younger generation feel extra pressure to "live up" to what their parents want, and parents (as well as aunts/uncles) can often be overbearing about their expectations even as their children grow into adults.

"Friendsgiving" is typical of this generation's response to the problems they face. It's younger people saying "well, we'll just have to do even more, have a whole second Thanksgiving because the main one isn't even fun for us."

TheHoveringSojourn808

good point. if boomers didn't get divorced at a record rate and create multiple family events their kids are expected to attend at every holiday maybe we'd have more time lol

XJDenton

Quote from: Ben_Jamin on November 26, 2023, 01:31:40 AM
What if their objective truth is different from your objective truth?

Then at least one of us is wrong.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
― Terry Pratchett

Stadler

Quote from: Skeever on November 26, 2023, 06:47:10 AM
TaySwift's music being "good" sure sounds like a lot of people's personal truth to me!

Re: Friendsgiving

It's a secondary event, not a Thanksgiving replacement.
Young people are so torn these days, often pressured by 2-4 sets of parents who all have 100% of their wishes for the future of the family placed solely on them. The result is, holidays can be more stress than fun, as younger people try to divide the time and "please everyone". With most people coming from families of 3-4, I think it's just natural that the younger generation feel extra pressure to "live up" to what their parents want, and parents (as well as aunts/uncles) can often be overbearing about their expectations even as their children grow into adults.

"Friendsgiving" is typical of this generation's response to the problems they face. It's younger people saying "well, we'll just have to do even more, have a whole second Thanksgiving because the main one isn't even fun for us."

I'm not sure I buy that.   

emtee

Serious question: Are electronic and appliance manufacturers designing products with a built-in shortened lifespan so as to ensure repeat purchases every couple years? Between the members in my family and our circle of friends, there have been at least 10 refrigerators, multiple dishwashers, ovens, microwaves and TV's that crapped out within 15 to 18 months and some even before the warranty expired.

Maybe my memory is failing me but I don't remember this happening until the 00's.