News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

Things I find a tad exasperating v.3

Started by XJDenton, June 26, 2021, 01:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOF

Quote from: jingle.boy on January 24, 2024, 10:46:52 AM
Quote from: HOF on January 24, 2024, 09:59:37 AM
Truck drivers are verifiably the worst.

So long as you mean pickup trucks, I am on board with you on this fully and completely with every fibre of my soul.

Yeah, was thinking pickup trucks (the bigger the truck, the worse the driver). There are many highly skilled commercial truck drivers, but many of them are also very annoying (the ones who try to pass a truck in front of them going the same speed as the other truck especially).

jammindude

Fascinating topic.

I drive Honda's exclusively, so I guess that makes me safe.  :angel: I have a black Honda Pilot and a white Honda HRV so I'm not sure where that puts me in the "white car" argument. But I can assure you that I see signal every time no matter the situation. When I was learning to drive, my father and my driving instructor taught me to do it in every lateral move until it became so automatic that I don't even have to think about it anymore. There is no brain process behind whether the situation warrants it, because it's just one of those things that is like breathing.

And every hates the slow driver in the passing lane, so that's just a given.

Stadler

By the way, to rub it in with Victor a bit more, I just remembered; about three weeks ago I was driving home in my truck - a pretty beat F350 with the 7.3L diesel engine, a rack back and a Fisher plow - and had to pass a Subaru on the road before mine.  I was driving reasonably; it's a 10,000 lb. diesel truck with a plow, so it takes a half mile to stop, so I'm not speeding, but then again, it also needs to keep moving, else the engine gets bogged.  The car in front of me kept speeding up and slowing down - no signal - and it was messing with my transmission as I kept having to hit the brakes while accelerating.   Finally I said enough of this and passed them.  I couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman but they were at least 90, 92 in age.

Stadler

Quote from: jammindude on January 24, 2024, 11:14:38 AM
Fascinating topic.

I drive Honda's exclusively, so I guess that makes me safe.  :angel: I have a black Honda Pilot and a white Honda HRV so I'm not sure where that puts me in the "white car" argument. But I can assure you that I see signal every time no matter the situation. When I was learning to drive, my father and my driving instructor taught me to do it in every lateral move until it became so automatic that I don't even have to think about it anymore. There is no brain process behind whether the situation warrants it, because it's just one of those things that is like breathing.

My BMW is one of the best engineering marvels in the world when it comes to the turn signal; I just have to nudge it with my knuckle and it clicks three times and resets.  It's almost harder NOT to signal than it is to signal, and no old man blinkers for me!!! :) :) :)

QuoteAnd every hates the slow driver in the passing lane, so that's just a given.

So why are there so many of them, then?!?!  There are literally times there are NO cars in the right hand (of three) lanes, and yet the left lane is a parking lot.   (I know the answer; the real culprits are the slow cars in the MIDDLE lane, but that's another discussion).

cramx3

Quote from: Stadler on January 24, 2024, 11:00:00 AM
They know they fucked up and are embarrassed and so take it out on me.  Who knows?

IMO, they don't know they fucked up and assume it's you who has. (wrongly)

TAC

Quote from: Stadler on January 24, 2024, 11:21:25 AM

So why are there so many of them, then?!?!  There are literally times there are NO cars in the right hand (of three) lanes, and yet the left lane is a parking lot.   (I know the answer; the real culprits are the slow cars in the MIDDLE lane, but that's another discussion).

This.

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Stadler

Quote from: cramx3 on January 24, 2024, 11:23:12 AM
They know they fucked up and are embarrassed and so take it out on me.  Who knows?

IMO, they don't know they fucked up and assume it's you who has. (wrongly)

Well, my take was wishful thinking; I absolutely think you're right about that. 

Lonk

Quote from: Stadler on January 24, 2024, 11:18:24 AM
By the way, to rub it in with Victor a bit more, I just remembered; about three weeks ago I was driving home in my truck - a pretty beat F350 with the 7.3L diesel engine, a rack back and a Fisher plow - and had to pass a Subaru on the road before mine.  I was driving reasonably; it's a 10,000 lb. diesel truck with a plow, so it takes a half mile to stop, so I'm not speeding, but then again, it also needs to keep moving, else the engine gets bogged.  The car in front of me kept speeding up and slowing down - no signal - and it was messing with my transmission as I kept having to hit the brakes while accelerating.   Finally I said enough of this and passed them.  I couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman but they were at least 90, 92 in age.
:lol Yeah, I see that a lot as well. Isn't there some stereotype that Subaru drivers are either lesbians, seniors and the outdoor enthusiast? or something along those lines. I love my Subaru, and will stay with the brand when its time to replace my car (unless something changes my mind of course).

And every hates the slow driver in the passing lane, so that's just a given.

Regarding left lane, I remember asking a couple of years ago somewhere here, what the appropriate speed is to drive on the left lane. I don't get why someone would be on the left lane if the other lanes are empty. But if they are doing 20MPH over the speed limit on the left lane, and you are coming behind them at 25 over, I can see why they feel they shouldn't have to move (I don't agree with it, but just saying I get it).

Chino

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. If everyone on the highway just stuck to that, it'd be bliss.

TAC

Quote from: Vmadera00 on January 24, 2024, 11:46:57 AM
:lol Yeah, I see that a lot as well. Isn't there some stereotype that Subaru drivers are either lesbians, seniors and the outdoor enthusiast? or something along those lines. I love my Subaru, and will stay with the brand when its time to replace my car (unless something changes my mind of course).

My parents had two Subarus. The first one was the best car my parents ever had, and they'd tell you that, so when it was time, they replaced it with another that gave them nothing but trouble.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

hefdaddy42

The car in front of me kept speeding up and slowing down
Oh don't get me started, that's just the WORST
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

cramx3

Quote from: TAC on January 24, 2024, 11:52:47 AM
Quote from: Vmadera00 on January 24, 2024, 11:46:57 AM

My parents had two Subarus. The first one was the best car my parents ever had, and they'd tell you that, so when it was time, they replaced it with another that gave them nothing but trouble.

:lol such is life.

There's definitely a lesbian stereotype with suburus.  From my understanding, they are generally good cars and people who have them seem to love them.  My neighbor has 3 of the same Suburu which I think is ridiculous, but it shows the guy and his family love them.

Stadler

I'll say publicly I'm just busting Vmadera's stones; the Subaru is a great car (my step son had one for a daily for a while).   I was going to get one for my daughter, before circumstances intervened. 

ReaperKK

Fascinating topic.

My BMW is one of the best engineering marvels in the world when it comes to the turn signal; I just have to nudge it with my knuckle and it clicks three times and resets.  It's almost harder NOT to signal than it is to signal, and no old man blinkers for me!!! :) :) :)

QuoteAnd every hates the slow driver in the passing lane, so that's just a given.

What year is your BMW? They did away with the non-click clicky turn signal. When I got into mine I noticed they went back to the old school turn signal where it sticks when pushed down.

faizoff

Regarding Subarus I posted in the Automobile thread that I recently bought a Subaru Outback Premium 2024. This car is amazing. I am neither 92 years old nor a lesbian.

TAC

Quote from: faizoff on January 24, 2024, 12:57:13 PM
Regarding Subarus I posted in the Automobile thread that I recently bought a Subaru Outback Premium 2024. This car is amazing. I am neither 92 years old nor a lesbian.

You're 80 and gay?

Lonk

Quote from: Stadler on January 24, 2024, 12:37:09 PM
I'll say publicly I'm just busting Vmadera's stones; the Subaru is a great car (my step son had one for a daily for a while).   I was going to get one for my daughter, before circumstances intervened.
Oh I know, same with my comment about BMWs. I don't see myself owning one, but the few times I've been in one (X5 a few times, and I drove a convertible once, can't remember the model) they are sweet cars.

Quote from: faizoff on January 24, 2024, 12:57:13 PM
I'm a Mid 30's straight male.

Stadler

Quote from: ReaperKK on January 24, 2024, 12:55:33 PM
Fascinating topic.

What year is your BMW? They did away with the non-click clicky turn signal. When I got into mine I noticed they went back to the old school turn signal where it sticks when pushed down.

I have a 2013 535ix

pg1067

I take that as the highest compliment.  :) :) :).

Apropos of nothing, I once had one of our outside attorneys tell me that I was the best witness he ever defended.  I knew he was just shining the flagpole since the deposition was of the PMQ variety, was conducted by phone, and only lasted about 45 minutes.

jammindude

I do have one pet peeve about the left lane.

If I decide that I want to pass a very long line of cars being held up by a guy at the front doing 60 and I get into the left lane and begin passing them doing 70 don't you dare ride my ass just because you would rather be doing 80! I am PASSING

wolfking

Quote from: pg1067 on January 24, 2024, 09:17:12 AM
Quote from: wolfking on January 23, 2024, 03:44:53 PM
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 23, 2024, 06:16:40 AM
Quote from: wolfking on January 22, 2024, 03:13:14 PM
Tapping your card for a $50 purchase or handing over a $50 note are two different things. 
Yeah, one is more convenient than the other.

Otherwise, they are both the same thing.  Spending $50.00 of my money.

I knew that was coming and of course, it's the same, smart people know that.  I just feel symbolically they are a little different.  Maybe it's just the measures I've put on myself to help me be the tightest mother fucker on earth.

Economically, it's the same.  Psychologically, it's not, but it cuts the other way for me than it appears to for you.  For several reasons, I keep extremely careful tabs on money (more so than most people I know), and putting everything on a card helps me do that.  When I have cash, it's more difficult.  If I pull cash out of my account, that money is basically gone, and there's no real accounting for it.

I can definitely see you're angle on that one.  Myself starting to use my card more, I do the same thing.  Not that I 'spend' a lot, but I'm definitely keeping tabs on what's coming out and still sticking to my allocated budget.  I guess working with the public for so long and on customer service I've seen the average person just kind of be a bit flippant with just tapping their card.

The amount of times a customer would tap their card and then decline and they would say, 'oh sorry, I forgot to transfer money into that account.'  This happened so often and I still don't really understand it.

wolfking

For my next car, I'd love to splurge and get a Suburu WRX, that's my dream car i think.

TAC

Quote from: jammindude on January 24, 2024, 03:37:31 PM

If I decide that I want to pass a very long line of cars being held up by a guy at the front doing 60 and I get into the left lane and begin passing them doing 70 don't you dare ride my ass just because you would rather be doing 80! I am PASSING

If you're not passing fast enough, you're part of the problem too.

jingle.boy

Another POTY candidate right here. It's the PASSING lane, not the SPEEDING lane. If I'm passing cars in the middle lane, I have no obligation to get into that middle lane because someone behind me wants to pass me. They can wait until I can conveniently get into the middle lane at my speed and let you by.

Quote from: TAC on January 24, 2024, 03:54:07 PM

sorry bro, but that's horseshit.  Your definition of "fast enough" is not my problem.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

jammindude

No. I will get back in the right lane when I am finished passing. I'm not risking the po po just because you can't wait 60 seconds. I am using the passing lane for its intended purpose.

wolfking

What's the speed limit in this situation?

wolfking

And since when has the police been called 'po po?'  What the fuck?  That's the second time I've read that on here.  I think Joe said that yesterday too!

King Postwhore

That's an ebonics term. Old white guys like me say that to sound cool.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

wolfking

Quote from: King Postwhore on January 24, 2024, 04:33:47 PM
That's an ebonics term. Old white guys like me say that to sound cool.

:lol  Sounds like a Teletubbies character.

TAC

TAC

Quote from: jingle.boy on January 24, 2024, 03:58:15 PM

sorry bro, but that's horseshit.  Your definition of "fast enough" is not my problem.

wolfking

TAC

Ok, so in my town, we don't have an actual dump, or landfill. I don't think anyone does anymore, but we have a transfer station, where you drive up to one dumpster to throw your trash in and then another to throw out the recyclables.

Anyway, I go today, and I'm the third car in line at the dumpster. I could go around to the other side, but then I'd have to circle around again to hit the recycles.

So the guy in the first car throws his shit away, and then recognizes the guy in the second car, and then proceed to have an involved conversation.

WTF?? A wave and a "hi ya doin'" should suffice. So I fucking pull around and use the other side. I mean, c'mon....move the fuck out of the way.

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on January 24, 2024, 05:02:28 PM
Ok, so in my town, we don't have an actual dump, or landfill. I don't think anyone does anymore, but we have a transfer station, where you drive up to one dumpster to throw your trash in and then another to throw out the recyclables.

Anyway, I go today, and I'm the third car in line at the dumpster. I could go around to the other side, but then I'd have to circle around again to hit the recycles.

So the guy in the first car throws his shit away, and then recognizes the guy in the second car, and then proceed to have an involved conversation.

WTF?? A wave and a "hi ya doin'" should suffice. So I fucking pull around and use the other side. I mean, c'mon....move the fuck out of the way.

This sort of thing fucks me off.  No fucking consideration for any other cunt.  Completely obvious to what's going on.  Like they are the most important people on earth.

I went for a jog with one of the swim instructors I've stayed in contact with yesterday at a trail.  We pass this walking group with about 30 people.  They were walking so it was fine, they were mostly in the middle and on one side, we were going the other way and stuck firmly to the left.  There was enough room for us and a lot more of them, so that's cool.

On our loop back towards the end of our run near where we started, there's a long stretch and we see them all stopped and all having conversations with each other but strewn across the whole fucking path.  They could see us coming yet not one fucker moved one step aside to give us any room.  We had to jog off the trail jumping a branch cause none of these inconsiderate cunts would move a couple of fucking inches to give us a small section to run through.  I was fucking furious and almost abused them as I went past.  The guy I was with is a super nice dude with no anger in him at all so I thought better of it, but fuck.......

TAC