Poll

Rainbow - Rising vs. Rush - 2112?

Rainbow - Rising
23 (39%)
Rush - 2112
36 (61%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: POLL: Rainbow - Rising vs. Rush - 2112?  (Read 3192 times)

Offline WildRanger

POLL: Rainbow - Rising vs. Rush - 2112?
« on: April 08, 2021, 08:20:04 AM »
Let's see which album from 1976 will win in this clash.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: POLL: Rainbow - Rising vs. Rush - 2112?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 08:22:23 AM »
But there's only one album listed:  Rainbow Rising.

(I kid, I kid; this isn't even close for me, and I LOVE Rush.)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 10:05:10 AM »
This is a tough one.

Side 2 of Rising v. side 1 of 2112 is a battle of epic proportions, but I have to give a very slight nod to Rising.  However, side 2 of Rising has 4 minutes less material.

The real battle is side 1 of Rising v. side 2 of 2112.

Tarot Woman - Excellent
Run with the Wolf - Good
Starstruck - Really good
Do You Close Your Eyes - Bad

A Passage to Bangkok - Really good
Twilight Zone - Good
Lessons - Good, but a notch down from TZ
Tears - Good
Something for Nothing - Really good

Using a complicated scoring system I picked up from East German figure skating judges, side 2 of 2112 gets a slight nod simply because there's a bit more material there.  When that is weighed against the other half of the battle, it's pretty much a dead heat.  That being the case, tie goes to the album with the best song, which is Rising.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 11:11:15 AM »
That was a very difficult choice. I love them both.
I went with the album that had the biggest effect on me as a youngster finding my way in the music world, and that was Rising.

Now if you’d put it up against A Farewell To Kings, it would have been different. AFTK was my first Rush album and that was a game changer for me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 11:16:07 AM »
Pretty easily Rising. I always thought 2112 (the song) was a tad overrated, so nothing there can really compete with S2 of Rising.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 11:26:37 AM »
I don't find 2112 as good as a lot of people do. That being said, I've never been able to get into Rainbow. Rush gets my vote
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 01:10:10 PM »
I don't find 2112 as good as a lot of people do. That being said, I've never been able to get into Rainbow. Rush gets my vote
Same for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 01:11:58 PM »
Same for me.

+1

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 01:16:36 PM »
Same for me.

+1

Guys what is the main reason why you've never been able to get into Rainbow?   :)

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 01:23:02 PM »
Hands down 2112!  :metal

The guitar, bass, drums parts are far more interesting in 2112. With Rainbow, they are kind of - meh......

Don't get me wrong, I like Rainbow but if you're going to make me choose.................2112!

BTW - if you add distortion to those keyboards at the beginning of Tarot Woman, that sounds a lot like something Derek Sherinian would play.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 01:32:33 PM »
Title track 2112 vs. Stargazer - 2112 wins by a hair.
But the quintet of other tracks from Rising crush the quintet of tracks on the side 2 of 2112.

So Rising is easily superior for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 01:34:44 PM »
Hands down 2112!  :metal

The guitar, bass, drums parts are far more interesting in 2112. With Rainbow, they are kind of - meh......

Don't get me wrong, I like Rainbow but if you're going to make me choose.................2112!

BTW - if you add distortion to those keyboards at the beginning of Tarot Woman, that sounds a lot like something Derek Sherinian would play.

I can't stomach this blatant disrespect for one of the heavyweights of British rock, Mr. Richard Hugh Blackmore.   I'll give you the drums, I'll give you the bass, I might give you the keyboards... hell, I might even give you the VOCALS, but as much as I love Alex Lifeson - and I do love me some Alex Lifeson - some of the guitar playing on Rising is the stuff of generations.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 01:43:49 PM »
Actually, if I'm being honest and I know this is a bit of a hot take, but I've always felt that Alex was the weakest link in Rush. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 02:09:47 PM »
RAINBOW RISING
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 02:52:46 PM »
Same for me.

+1

Guys what is the main reason why you've never been able to get into Rainbow?   :)
Their music, mainly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2021, 03:06:52 PM »
Same for me.

+1

Their music, mainly.

:lol

On a more serious note, there is nothing in their music that appeals to me. I find it strange since I am a fan of other bands those musicians have been on (I like Purple and Dio is a beast of a singer), but the music they make is just meh
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 03:12:57 PM »
I've heard a few tunes from Rainbow that I liked, but 2112 was one of the main reasons I first picked up the guitar.  It will always hold a special place for me

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 03:18:25 PM »
Toss up for me. Went with Rush for sentimental reasons, as I’ve listened to 2112 a lot more. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 03:57:50 PM »
But there's only one album listed:  Rainbow Rising.

(I kid, I kid; this isn't even close for me, and I LOVE Rush.)

Same. I'm generally more of a Rush fan than I am a Rainbow fan, but Rising is a monster of an album.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2021, 05:32:56 PM »
Love them both but have to go with Rising.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2021, 07:09:12 PM »
Actually, if I'm being honest and I know this is a bit of a hot take, but I've always felt that Alex was the weakest link in Rush.

That's not a hot take. I thought that was pretty much understood.

Toss up for me. Went with Rush for sentimental reasons, as I’ve listened to 2112 a lot more. 

Yeah, same here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2021, 12:14:57 AM »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 02:27:40 AM »
2112 is in my lower third of Rush albums. But I don't care for Rainbow at all, so 2112 still easily wins this for me.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 05:41:26 AM »
2112 is in my lower third of Rush albums. But I don't care for Rainbow at all, so 2112 still easily wins this for me.

In Austria Rainbow is a much more popular and beloved band than Rush and despite that you decided to be a Rush fan and don't care for Rainbow?  ;D

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2021, 05:57:57 AM »

As an guitarist/instrumentalist he is definitely technically weaker than Geddy and Peart, but don't forget he created a way more different, diverse sounds (because he played a GUITAR) than Geddy on bass and Neil on drums because it's about a nature of instruments: both bass and drums are very limited instruments compared to the almighty guitar that can made thousands of different sounds.

Although he is the technically weakest link in Rush he is STILL a great and super creative player. His playing makes Eddie Van Halen to be one-trick pony regardless of how great Eddie is.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2021, 06:04:31 AM »
Rush wins another poll. BIAS towards Rush.  ;D

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2021, 06:23:12 AM »
I could never get into Rainbow so Rush wins for me.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 08:38:11 AM »
I don't think Alex was the weak link at all and in fact for years I thought he was the most underrated guitarist in rock. His chord phrasings and his use of tone was IMO ground-breaking. I could give examples of many songs where Alex's playing shines easily as much as NP and GL but suffice to say that there would be no Rush without Alex (and yes I include all three players in that statement).

Now if you want to talk about a one trick pony - that would be Ritchie Blackmore.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 08:52:24 AM »
2112 for me.  Rising, like all the Dio Rainbow albums, was very patchy for me.  I love Tarot Woman and Stargazer.  Everything else ranges from ok to pretty bad.  They probably had one albums worth of classic material spread across three very patchy albums.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2021, 09:03:19 AM »
I don't think Alex was the weak link at all and in fact for years I thought he was the most underrated guitarist in rock. His chord phrasings and his use of tone was IMO ground-breaking. I could give examples of many songs where Alex's playing shines easily as much as NP and GL but suffice to say that there would be no Rush without Alex (and yes I include all three players in that statement).

Now if you want to talk about a one trick pony - that would be Ritchie Blackmore.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

No.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2021, 09:06:31 AM »
Went with RR because 2112 is overrated to me. If Side B had better material I might feel differently.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2021, 09:30:02 AM »

No.

Mr. Stadler, that is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent objection.

OVERRULED!  :coolio

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2021, 09:42:38 AM »

No.

Mr. Stadler, that is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent objection.

OVERRULED!  :coolio

:) :) :)

Your honor, if it may please the court, you can say a lot of things about Blackmore, but "one trick pony" is not one of them.  From his sessions in the 60's in England (he was a peer of Jimmy Page) to the proto prog of early Deep Purple to the proto-metal of mid-period Deep Purple to the blues funk of Mark IV Deep Purple through the various incarnations of Rainbow, to the resurgence of "new" Purple, to the multi-faceted genres of his Renaissance gig with Candace...

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 10:25:48 AM »
2112 for me.  Rising, like all the Dio Rainbow albums, was very patchy for me.  I love Tarot Woman and Stargazer.  Everything else ranges from ok to pretty bad.  They probably had one albums worth of classic material spread across three very patchy albums.

And 2112 is not patchy?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 10:48:13 AM »

Rush had no weak link.  Now, I think it does go without saying that Alex was not as highly regarded by the general public, for lack of a better term, on his instrument as the other two (Neil is often call the greatest rock drummer ever or 2nd or 3rd best at worst, and Geddy is usually in the top tier of all-time bassists, while Alex is never in the top tier of guitarists with Hendrix, Page, EVH, Gilmour, Clapton, etc.), but being the least best of those three does not make you a weak link, as being weak implies that your deficiencies held the band back in some way, and that was never the case with Rush.