Author Topic: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist  (Read 38457 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist
« Reply #350 on: June 30, 2021, 11:35:37 AM »
Say what you want about JLBs vocals but I absolutely LOVE the version and his phrasing in Another Day on the LNF:I&W version and prefer it over the original

I'm getting there! I loved his rendition so much of that song that I was psyched to hear the rest of the album and how he changed the melodies. It seems like after Take the Time, the modifications were a bit more minimal so in that regard I was a tad disappointed (ironic that I'm disappointed he didn't change them more!) but overall I love the album so much more than I thought I would.

Side note: When I saw this tour, I went home feeling like that was probably the most fun Dream Theater show I had ever seen, despite I&W being a mid tier album in my book.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #351 on: June 30, 2021, 01:33:43 PM »
I agree, one of the best DT shows I ever attended.  By the way, I thought people said JLB was ropey on this show.  Sounds pretty good to me, no complaints at all.  Decent release although I do wish we got the whole show or at least ACOS.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #352 on: June 30, 2021, 04:47:41 PM »
I agree, one of the best DT shows I ever attended.  By the way, I thought people said JLB was ropey on this show.  Sounds pretty good to me, no complaints at all.  Decent release although I do wish we got the whole show or at least ACOS.

I wonder how much if any was fixed up in the studio. I think I detect a line or two in Another Day which may be overdubbed but that's it so far.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #353 on: July 01, 2021, 12:26:51 PM »
on iTunes I see there’s a Train of Thought comin’ out as well. Does anyone knows how many of these Archive-vinyls will be released? There are three in a row now…
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #354 on: July 02, 2021, 03:31:52 AM »
Nobody knows for sure but if they're releasing  all the old Ytsejam Records catalog then we're looking at a couple dozen at a rate of one per month.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #355 on: July 02, 2021, 04:25:54 AM »
Nobody knows for sure but if they're releasing  all the old Ytsejam Records catalog then we're looking at a couple dozen at a rate of one per month.
they are, and some newly discovered (or previously unreleased) ones (like I/W 2.0 at Budokan in 2017)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #356 on: July 02, 2021, 06:03:23 AM »

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #357 on: July 02, 2021, 11:18:28 AM »
that means there could be 15 vinyls coming out? Unbelievable, I did’nt see this comin’, but what a present it is. Thanks…

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #358 on: July 04, 2021, 12:58:16 PM »
I preordered all 3 vinyl releases and didn’t receive any of them yet ? Anyone know the release dates or approximately when I should expect them ?
Thanks !
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #359 on: July 04, 2021, 01:18:23 PM »
that means there could be 15 vinyls coming out? Unbelievable, I did’nt see this comin’, but what a present it is. Thanks…
More than 15 (albums) I'd guess, because remember, there will be some things that were previously unreleased (i.e. not previously on YtseJam Records). I/W 2.0 at Budokan being one of them.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline sylentman

« Reply #360 on: July 04, 2021, 08:51:02 PM »
I preordered all 3 vinyl releases and didn’t receive any of them yet ? Anyone know the release dates or approximately when I should expect them ?
Thanks !

Hello! If correct the IAW Japan 2017 was released some days ago (end of June), and depending where you ordered may not have shipped yet.
The ADTOE SBD one should be released around 20 July, and the TOT Demos around 20th August (again depending on version or where ordered may be shipped around that date or later).

In Amazon you can see Release dates i think.

Hope that helps :)

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #361 on: July 05, 2021, 12:02:59 AM »
Yes that sure does help ! Thanks brother!! Unfortunately I found out that the street date for the I & W 2017 is 9/24/21 because I ordered the cobalt blue vinyl release from Revolver !!! Ugh !…
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #362 on: July 05, 2021, 03:42:28 AM »
As far as I know, most of what was released om Ytsejam will be rereleased, but I doubt everything on the CDs will be on vinyl... Like, for the SFAM making of, I would expect the alternate mix to be on Vinyl, but I wouldn't expect the making of CD to be...

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #363 on: July 05, 2021, 06:57:01 AM »
Yes that sure does help ! Thanks brother!! Unfortunately I found out that the street date for the I & W 2017 is 9/24/21 because I ordered the cobalt blue vinyl release from Revolver !!! Ugh !…

I got the blue vinyl version as well and recieved it a week ago. Too bad you're still waiting. I listened to it a couple of times, it is a beautiful recording, althought JLB is'nt coming close to what he performed back on the studioalbum. I remember the Mancini solo when they came here in Holland, it was wonderful. But, to me, it's a shame they did'nt involve a Change of Seasons to it as bonus material. Originally it was ment to be a double-album release, with a Change of Seasons included. Would be nice if they went back to the original plan with this live release. Even if they had to dig deep in the vault to find an edition that fits in production with this Budokan release.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #364 on: July 05, 2021, 07:28:32 AM »
Struggling to see how this wasn't a double-album release. DT really don't know what their fans want anymore, this should have been released at the time, it's head and shoulders above Distant Memories.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #365 on: July 05, 2021, 08:30:05 AM »
Here's the elephant in the room: Do you think with the thawing of relations between Portnoy and Petrucci that Portnoy may cooperate with future releases such as The Making of 6DOIT?

I hate to even get that discussion or rumors started but it seems more than a coincidence that they are finally doing this right after Portnoy did drums for Petrucci on his solo album and the LTE reunion.

Edit: In case you haven't kept up with it over the years, Portnoy was responsible for archiving all of demos, rehearsals, etc. Ytsejam Records seemed to be primarily his main interest, with the releases being mostly compiled by him with Petrucci handling the business aspect. When the split happened, Ytsejam Records remained property of Dream Theater but Portnoy kept the archive. Therefore, unless there was some type of cooperation, Portnoy couldn't release anything but the tapes remained his personal property so Petrucci couldn't release anything either.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 08:38:10 AM by Madman Shepherd »

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #366 on: July 05, 2021, 11:02:23 AM »
I think it all depends on the success of the series in itself, what will happen in the future. ie: if you want more stuff, buy all the stuff that becomes available :P

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #367 on: July 05, 2021, 11:52:24 AM »
I think it all depends on the success of the series in itself, what will happen in the future. ie: if you want more stuff, buy all the stuff that becomes available :P

I think this is why they'd benefit, imo, from balancing more between stuff never released before (i.e. TA live, D/T demos, 30th anniversary tour set, etc.) and the previously released Ytse Jam stuff, which had some stuff that wouldn't be as appealing to the 2021/2022 fanbase, specially with a new studio album coming in the next few months.

Also, from a marketing standpoint, releasing one a month isn't the smartest move either, as they'll just blur because there's so much stuff coming out that people loose track of it. But I do get why they're doing monthly releases, as they have such a big catalog of stuff they want to release.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #368 on: July 05, 2021, 03:06:10 PM »

I think this is why they'd benefit, imo, from balancing more between stuff never released before (i.e. TA live, D/T demos, 30th anniversary tour set, etc.) and the previously released Ytse Jam stuff,

Yup. Getting the first two but not so sure about ToT since I already have the ytsejam releases and the prospect of the only cool thing about the newer version being that it is supposedly remastered won't really encourage me to get that or the other releases I already have.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #369 on: July 06, 2021, 12:52:42 PM »
Here's the elephant in the room: Do you think with the thawing of relations between Portnoy and Petrucci that Portnoy may cooperate with future releases such as The Making of 6DOIT?

I hate to even get that discussion or rumors started but it seems more than a coincidence that they are finally doing this right after Portnoy did drums for Petrucci on his solo album and the LTE reunion.

Edit: In case you haven't kept up with it over the years, Portnoy was responsible for archiving all of demos, rehearsals, etc. Ytsejam Records seemed to be primarily his main interest, with the releases being mostly compiled by him with Petrucci handling the business aspect. When the split happened, Ytsejam Records remained property of Dream Theater but Portnoy kept the archive. Therefore, unless there was some type of cooperation, Portnoy couldn't release anything but the tapes remained his personal property so Petrucci couldn't release anything either.

I think it would be kind of weird if Portnoy was too heavily involved. It's just cleaner for everyone if he stays out of the picture. Maybe Petrucci could coordinate with him once in a while or something, but I'd be surprised if he was more involved than that.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #370 on: July 06, 2021, 02:27:49 PM »
I think it would just be too much hassle as Portnoy would  then (quite rightly) want his cut of any sales of that stuff so you’d have to get the lawyers involved.  Unless he returns to the band, I don’t see Portnoy being involved in this.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: July 06, 2021, 06:24:50 PM »

I think it would be kind of weird if Portnoy was too heavily involved. It's just cleaner for everyone if he stays out of the picture. Maybe Petrucci could coordinate with him once in a while or something, but I'd be surprised if he was more involved than that.

I actually think Portnoy could have a hand in getting some pre-MM material for the archives. I mean he was in the band for a long period of time and it'd be great to see some older stuff make it out on vinyl.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #372 on: July 06, 2021, 06:25:37 PM »
I think it would just be too much hassle as Portnoy would  then (quite rightly) want his cut of any sales of that stuff so you’d have to get the lawyers involved.  Unless he returns to the band, I don’t see Portnoy being involved in this.

Honestly, I don't think that is difficult at all.  He should be entitled to a percentage.  It is just a matter of agreeing on what the percentage should be.  At minimum, he gets 1/5 (minus expenses), as he was 1/5 of the band membership.  He may feel he is entitled to more than that since he is the one who archived everything.  But even so, it is just a matter of him and the band agreeing to a number.  I don't see that really being too much of an issue.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #373 on: July 06, 2021, 08:03:52 PM »
Besides, he wouldn't pass the opportunity to self-promote and talk about how HE helped get the LNFA up and running :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #374 on: July 06, 2021, 08:28:06 PM »
Honestly, I don't think that is difficult at all.  He should be entitled to a percentage.  It is just a matter of agreeing on what the percentage should be.  At minimum, he gets 1/5 (minus expenses), as he was 1/5 of the band membership.  He may feel he is entitled to more than that since he is the one who archived everything.  But even so, it is just a matter of him and the band agreeing to a number.  I don't see that really being too much of an issue.
Agreed. When YJR was active, I know the previous band members got their cut of the releases, too, although I don't know what the percentage was. When speaking about Christ Collins around the time I did the interview with Chris, MP specifically had mentioned something to me about getting Chris his cut for the Majesty demos.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #375 on: July 06, 2021, 09:31:35 PM »
Agreed. When YJR was active, I know the previous band members got their cut of the releases, too, although I don't know what the percentage was. When speaking about Christ Collins around the time I did the interview with Chris, MP specifically had mentioned something to me about getting Chris his cut for the Majesty demos.

I clearly wasn't around in DT land back then, so had no clue you did an interview with CC. Do you have a link where I could read it? I think Chris is the former DT member that has talked the least about their time together.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: July 06, 2021, 10:02:24 PM »
I think Chris is the former DT member that has talked the least about their time together.

Are you sure that honor doesn't to KM?  :lol 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #377 on: July 06, 2021, 10:40:40 PM »
I think Chris is the former DT member that has talked the least about their time together.

Are you sure that honor doesn't to KM?  :lol

Wait, Kevin was in the band? :rollin

Offline pg1067

« Reply #378 on: July 07, 2021, 09:44:47 AM »

Chris Collins was never a member of DT (yeah, I know, semantics, but still).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #379 on: July 07, 2021, 11:11:08 AM »

I know what you mean (Majesty, not DT), but at least he was fully acknowledged as a former DT member for the Score documentary, unlike Steve Stone who they pretended to never have existed :lol (I do that too :P)

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #380 on: July 07, 2021, 11:14:14 AM »
it's head and shoulders above Distant Memories.

I can't see how this is head & shoulders above Distant Memories. That is, both in production and performance, far better than this Bodukan Images & Words, in my opinion. Especially LaBrie.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #381 on: July 07, 2021, 11:17:22 AM »

I know what you mean (Majesty, not DT), but at least he was fully acknowledged as a former DT member for the Score documentary, unlike Steve Stone who they pretended to never have existed :lol (I do that too :P)

Well, to be fair, Stone only did one gig, and it was clear it wasn't a good fit.  Collins was the singer at the inception of the band, and they wrote and demoed songs with him.  That's very different, IMO.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #382 on: July 07, 2021, 11:35:11 AM »

Well, to be fair, Stone only did one gig, and it was clear it wasn't a good fit.  Collins was the singer at the inception of the band, and they wrote and demoed songs with him.  That's very different, IMO.

True, but I always look at these situations from the first official release.  I don't really look at Collins as a member of DT anymore than I look at Jeff Jones as having been a member of Rush, but I know others view it differently.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #383 on: July 08, 2021, 01:52:42 AM »
I know what i'll say is harsh, but i can't see the whole archives thing other than as a bad cash-grab from the band, especially seeing the vinyl prices.
The whole purpose of this was to give fans some obscure releases, stuff that wasn't available before and so on.

Now this is just a re-release of recent stuff which in part was also available (for free, like the happy holidays release), with a quick photoshopped cover which could be done in 10 minutes.

I'm not really fond of the way they've been handling it to be honest, and i won't be getting any release until something that hasn't existed (in any format) is released.

Just seems lazy from my point of view at this moment.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:49:41 AM by nikatapi »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #384 on: July 08, 2021, 06:52:05 AM »
For me, these efforts are welcome, but they are a bummer of sorts in that without the main label involvement of a "major" release, it's too easy to see the sausage making.   Rights releases, shared rights... as much as anyone I understand those exist, but that doesn't mean that as a fan I'm not feeling a little wistful about what might be as opposed to what is (and I'm not at all interested in vinyl).