Author Topic: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist  (Read 38444 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist
« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2021, 12:49:05 PM »
No need to have two versions of TLF...

No need to have any versions of TLF  :biggrin:

My thoughts exactly.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much does it surprise you that TLF is at LEAST a top ten, maybe a top five DT song for me?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2021, 12:51:28 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much does it surprise you that TLF is at LEAST a top ten, maybe a top five DT song for me?

Oh it was a given. It's easy to know your favorite songs from any band. You just take a proper song ranking and turn it upside down. Bam! Instant Stadler Top 10! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2021, 12:59:51 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

:tup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2021, 07:17:05 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

It's a great song. Don't know how anyone could say it's not

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2021, 08:50:01 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

I have a soft spot for it since I've been a DT fan since I saw the vid for PMU on HBB back in the day, and bought the live in Japan VHS when it came out, which had TLF which at the time was unreleased.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: May 28, 2021, 09:39:03 PM »
Due respect to those who feel differently... I hope they do not revisit any Majesty-era, B-side* or demo material as part of this new venture. 

*if my understanding is correct, due to changes in their writing process there has been little if any B-side material since FII.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline HOF

« Reply #251 on: May 28, 2021, 09:50:59 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

I agree. The I&W era version is a little shaky, but the Awake era version is really good, and I love the version they did at the unplugged show that was on 5YIALT.

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #252 on: May 29, 2021, 03:59:48 AM »
For my money the I&W live in Tokyo version is my favorite. That middle section with Moore doubling the ethereal melody of the song and later supporting JP's solo is truly amazing and it completely elevates the listener. But also the 5YIALT version is another great rendition too.

Offline HOF

« Reply #253 on: May 29, 2021, 07:41:37 AM »
For my money the I&W live in Tokyo version is my favorite. That middle section with Moore doubling the ethereal melody of the song and later supporting JP's solo is truly amazing and it completely elevates the listener. But also the 5YIALT version is another great rendition too.

So I watched both on YouTube last night. The LIT version is great. The part I don’t like is the end where  James just sings “as long as I have to die in the attempt” over and over again in a higher register. They fixed that ending on the Awake version and on 5YIALT.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 07:54:51 AM by HOF »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #254 on: May 29, 2021, 07:43:45 AM »
OK, I've been a fan of Dream Theater for a very long time. What exactly is the Awake version of TLF?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #255 on: May 29, 2021, 07:53:48 AM »
OK, I've been a fan of Dream Theater for a very long time. What exactly is the Awake version of TLF?

They recorded two versions of it, one in 1991 and one in 1994 (there are earlier versions with different singers as well). The 1994 one has a slightly different ending (to the vocal part):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZhivwlTdw

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #256 on: May 29, 2021, 07:59:25 AM »
during part of the Porty era of the band, there were these annual fan club CDs (1996-2008 I think). One of these, the one in 1999, was called Cleaning Out The Closet. Porty compiled some studio outtakes from 1991-1997 on this one. There were two versions of TLF on this album, one from 1991 (originally slated to be included on I/W but rejected by the label at the time) and one from 1994 (which then should have been on Awake (along with Eve), but again, not included). The two studio versions obviously differ a bit, since the 1994 version was reworked slightly.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #257 on: May 29, 2021, 08:05:36 AM »
OK, Gotcha guys! I'm going to look stupid, but I have Cleaning Out The Closet, and yes, there's 2 versions of TLF. I guess I never heard it referenced as the Awake version. Still, I don't think I've ever listened to them to even know the difference.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #258 on: May 29, 2021, 08:06:45 AM »

The studio version. It’s the ‘94 version and the most common. So, if you’ve heard the studio recording that’s most likely it. It also has a third verse that the ‘91 demo version doesn’t, that’s why the third verse isn’t on the Live in Tokyo version.

And I’ve never in all my years heard anyone refer to it as the “Awake version”.

And also it’s definitely a top 20 song for me. So  :loser:
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #259 on: May 29, 2021, 08:11:25 AM »
I really just know the song from the bootlegs of that era. While following the boots coming out during the tour, it was cool they added a song, but I just never thought it was very good. I think it morphed into some decent imstrumentality as the song went on in some of the live shows.

Offline HOF

« Reply #260 on: May 29, 2021, 08:25:38 AM »

The studio version. It’s the ‘94 version and the most common. So, if you’ve heard the studio recording that’s most likely it. It also has a third verse that the ‘91 demo version doesn’t, that’s why the third verse isn’t on the Live in Tokyo version.

And I’ve never in all my years heard anyone refer to it as the “Awake version”.

And also it’s definitely a top 20 song for me. So  :loser:

It was recorded for those sessions, right? Just differentiating it from the version recorded for I&W.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2021, 08:31:45 AM »
IIRC, yes, it was reworked during the Awake sessions.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2021, 08:37:47 AM »
And in keeping with the pattern, I prefer the '91 (the "I&W") version.  It might be, in part, because I'm more familiar with that version, so that's what I knew, but the end of the '94 version (by the way, TAC, I've never heard it called the "Awake" version either) doesn't really work for me.

And by the way, I'm being honest with you guys, not "contrarian for the sake of contrarian".  I've posted top 10 and top 20 song lists here over the years, and TLF is ALWAYS on them.  That and "Cover My Eyes".   I guess I just like it when bands go out of their comfort zone.   I remember at one point, in the "Napster era", I had a CD with something like six or seven versions of the song, including live versions and versions with other singers.   The '91 version is best, IMO.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2021, 09:15:57 AM »
I probably feel the same away about The Way It Used to Be as you do about Cover My Eyes.
Can't we find the minds

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #264 on: May 29, 2021, 09:20:54 AM »
I'm not a fan of The Way It Used To Be, but Cover My Eyes is a really cool and fun song. Not really Dream Theaterish, but I like it. Nice B-side. IT really worked well in the '98 Christmas shows.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #265 on: May 29, 2021, 09:23:47 AM »
Yeah, I prefer the acoustic version of Cover My Eyes more.
Can't we find the minds

Offline HOF

« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2021, 09:37:42 AM »
I probably feel the same away about The Way It Used to Be as you do about Cover My Eyes.

I love The Way It Used to Be. I’m a sucker for hard rock DT. One of the things that was cool about that era was some of the more jam type instrumental passages they did with Derek. The instrumental part of TWIUTB is a good example. There’s also a little jam on Once in a Livetime that bridges Metropolis and Learning to Live that is really fun.

Cover My Eyes is fun too, but I wish there were a proper recording of it. The acoustic performance is good though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2021, 09:45:39 AM »
I love TLF and, to me, the '94 version is THE version. It also appeared on the Greatest Hit +21... compilation.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2021, 10:29:48 AM »
Not sure if I'm in the minority of liking the Majesty demo with Chris Collins on vocals.  So assuming it exists, I'd love some live stuff from that era, and maybe some of the live stuff with no singer where they just did instrumental versions.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #269 on: May 29, 2021, 01:07:23 PM »
I love TLF and, to me, the '94 version is THE version. It also appeared on the Greatest Hit +21... compilation.

I dont' t know if I have a "THE version" of TLF, but I do love the live version with Mike Mangini with that excellent different intro.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2021, 01:21:23 PM »
Not sure if I'm in the minority of liking the Majesty demo with Chris Collins on vocals.  So assuming it exists, I'd love some live stuff from that era, and maybe some of the live stuff with no singer where they just did instrumental versions.

I really enjoy that version as well. He does a great job with that song.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #271 on: May 29, 2021, 04:16:40 PM »
TLF is not a top 10 DT song for me but I certainly enjoy it a lot.  Favourite version for me is that live version from the semi unplugged fan club show they did.  I think it was on the 5YIALT video and also on a fan club cd.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #272 on: May 29, 2021, 05:10:58 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

IDK about top anything, but I'm with you, it is a great song!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #273 on: May 29, 2021, 05:31:14 PM »

I dont' t know if I have a "THE version" of TLF, but I do love the live version with Mike Mangini with that excellent different intro.

I agree. I love the way they did it and I’m glad it’s going to be official on this new LNF release.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: May 29, 2021, 09:01:14 PM »
Good lord, I just saw the track listing. How many releases (official, fan club, etc...) does this mediocre song that never appeared on an album need to be on?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Pettor

« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2021, 01:13:52 AM »
The Count of Tuscany!!! I hope the sound is ok. The biggest mistakes DT ever done is to NOT include TGP or TCOT on a live release. TCOT is maybe the best live song they ever produced and really needs to be available in a good recording. Well well let's see.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2021, 02:34:27 AM »
The Count of Tuscany!!! I hope the sound is ok. The biggest mistakes DT ever done is to NOT include TGP or TCOT on a live release. TCOT is maybe the best live song they ever produced and really needs to be available in a good recording. Well well let's see.

It’s on YouTube. It’s Happy Holidaze 2013.  Apparently they’re going to “remaster” it though.
Can't we find the minds

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2021, 07:55:30 AM »
By the way, there will be some remaster ou remix in this release? Something that I really thought it wasn't quite good in some songs, including TCOT, is the sound of the bass drums. It's really low in the mix and without definition.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2021, 03:19:51 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

It's really quite easy.

It's not bad; it's just boring AF (which might be worse than being bad).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2021, 04:38:37 PM »
I'm happy to finally get a physical copy. I hate digital stuff.

That's really the enticement for me. I'm reluctantly getting both but I wish it was something I never heard before.