Author Topic: Mundane But True Stories!  (Read 27088 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Mundane But True Stories!
« Reply #350 on: February 09, 2024, 04:05:17 PM »
Hey, it's always good to have extra stock, right?  ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: February 14, 2024, 01:56:17 PM »
And that is the reason why I have a life time supply of gallon freezer bags  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #352 on: February 14, 2024, 02:48:27 PM »
Yeah, that kinda stuff is dangerous.  The top shelf in our downstairs closet holds a dozen rolls of paper towel, but no more.  So we have to buy more when we're down to the last roll, but no sooner because then we won't be able to fit them all on the shelf.  I know, we could buy them in six or eight, but that's not as good of a deal.  And they come in like 24-packs, but that's insane.  Who TF has room to store 24 rolls of paper towel?

Similarly, we always buy Kleenex in the three-box pack, but that can be dangerous if you don't keep track because six boxes on the middle shelf is a significant amount of shelf space.

Meanwhile we have a least an extra box of gallon freezer bags and quart freezer bags, and for some reason we'd accumulated at least three boxes of the stupid little "snack size" bags.  The kids are both grown and out of the house, and I don't think we ever really used them for anything anyway.  So one day when Mrs. O wasn't around, I just threw the extra supplies away.  Buried them in the outside garbage can.  I hate wasting product, especially product paid for with my hard-earned money, but it was only a couple of bucks, and I have fewer boxes to dig through whenever I need a Ziploc for something.  That's a trade-off I was willing to live with.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: February 14, 2024, 03:09:22 PM »
Same here, and it's all because of this.

Out of the 347 bags you get in this container, 120 of them are worthless snack bags. Gallon bags are occasionally useful, but 52 of them is overkill for us empty nesters. Still, at $19.00 bucks it's cheaper than buying a box of sandwich and quart bags each at the regular supermarket. Thus, waste is made more affordable.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online pg1067

« Reply #354 on: February 14, 2024, 03:42:46 PM »
Same here, and it's all because of this.

Out of the 347 bags you get in this container, 120 of them are worthless snack bags. Gallon bags are occasionally useful, but 52 of them is overkill for us empty nesters. Still, at $19.00 bucks it's cheaper than buying a box of sandwich and quart bags each at the regular supermarket. Thus, waste is made more affordable.

We go through tons of gallon baggies - primarily for storing open packages of meat (bacon, ground beef, etc.) and homemade bread.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #355 on: February 14, 2024, 03:54:05 PM »
They know damned well that most households won't use the baggies in the proportions provided, or even close, therefore the Variety Pack is not for your convenience; it's for them to sell more product.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #356 on: February 14, 2024, 04:34:34 PM »
They know damned well that most households won't use the baggies in the proportions provided, or even close, therefore the Variety Pack is not for your convenience; it's for them to sell more product.

totally. it's the same reason hot dogs and their buns don't come in equal quantities
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: February 14, 2024, 09:21:53 PM »
Those snack size bags are ridiculous, but my wife insists we will always find a use for them. Which means she will find a use for them because I won't. We use plenty of the gallon size for freezer storage.

totally. it's the same reason hot dogs and their buns don't come in equal quantities

At my store I found a package of not only 8 hot dogs, but bun length dogs as well, so you aren't stuck with a bun-only bite at each end.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #358 on: February 15, 2024, 06:06:00 AM »
Working on cars and things like that, those small snack bags come in handy for holding screws, nuts and washers.  I end up using them a lot.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #359 on: February 15, 2024, 06:26:26 AM »
Working on cars and things like that, those small snack bags come in handy for holding screws, nuts and washers.  I end up using them a lot.

Absolutely. Likewise for guitar picks, jack heads, and small Allen keys you need to carry around.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #360 on: February 15, 2024, 06:29:28 AM »
Don't work on cars, but we have many of those bags filled with spare parts, screws, all that shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #361 on: February 20, 2024, 05:10:38 PM »
Yeah, but do you go through 120 of them every time you use 52 freezer bags?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #362 on: February 26, 2024, 08:03:24 PM »
In keeping with the thread's theme, here's a short story.

Several years ago, I was at work, walking around the office to look busy and avoid actually having to do my job at the same time, which necessitated walking past the central area where the administrative people are located. A woman walks past me and says 'Hey, Konrad,' to me. That's my name, by the way, otherwise this story would have been super weird, although maybe a bit funnier. I say hey back, because that's what you do, and continue on my way, slightly befuddled.

See, as far as I'm aware, I have never even seen this person before, much less spoken to her, much less been introduced. Normally when new employees start they do the rounds on our floor, getting introduced to everyone and getting asked the same few questions over and over again by people they'll never talk to again, but I had no recollection of her doing so. So how does she know who I am? It's not like I'm that famous. Sure, I've got a plaque with my name on it, but even though I told my parents it's because I'm special, everyone actually has one of those. We're not in the same division so we'd never been in the same meetings or really have any reason to ever interact at all unless one of us happened to be wandering by the other's section of the building and had nothing better to do.

So this is strange. But now it presents a new dilemma; she says 'Hey Konrad' to me everyone we pass now, and I don't know her name! It's been weeks at this point and I've been saying hey and making small talk like we're friends, I can't ask her now, 'Oh hey, by the way, who the hell are you?' So I have to find another way to uncover the information. I ask the guy who works beside me; he doesn't know. Not surprising, we're good friends because neither of us like other people. No help there. But wait, I can just go check one of the emails that goes out to the whole floor every few days, saying 'please get your rotten food out of the fridge before we have to call the health department again,' or 'the building's bathrooms will be closed for the next three weeks, please jog across the complex when you need to relieve yourself,' and look through the names they're addressed to. When I find the one I don't know, bingo! It helps that I work with a lot of dudes, so there's not too many women's names to sort through.

Another dilemma. My antisocial behavior has come back to bite me despite every reason I had to believe that it never would. There are still several women's names on there I don't know. Work on this issue progresses. By neglecting my own work, lurking around corners, eavesdropping on conversations, I am able to slowly acquire more information, cross names off the list of unknowns. Eventually I think someone just calls her by her name while I'm around, so this whole campaign of subterfuge was totally pointless.

Her name was Angel, by the way, which was part of the problem. I thought it was a strong possibility, but if you call someone Angel who isn't actually named Angel, then you're just a total weirdo.

Anyway, she doesn't work there anymore. I can't remember if I ever actually called her by her name.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #363 on: February 26, 2024, 08:06:47 PM »
Did she ever work there at all?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #364 on: February 26, 2024, 08:30:46 PM »
Like, maybe she was just a hallucination?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #365 on: February 26, 2024, 08:35:41 PM »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: February 27, 2024, 05:34:45 AM »
I laughed out loud at the denouement of your story. What a crushing disappointment it ended there. But also quite the delight it ended there, too :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #367 on: February 27, 2024, 07:46:58 AM »
I thought I'd mentioned it here, but it must have been in another thread.  I've been with the same company since 2005, but we're spread out over several different buildings across the county and I was never at the headquarters building; I was always in one of the satellite buildings where they hide the programmers.  And I prefer it that way, since most of my clients are in HQ.  Data requests come in via email and delivered either via email or shared NAS drive if the files are too big.  So I rarely see any of my clients face-to-face.  Maybe once a year at a meeting or something, if that.  Other than that, the only time I "see" my clients and coworkers is on the tiny profile picture on their email.

But I was moved to HQ last year when they decided to cut costs (of course!) and not renew the leases on several of the satellite buildings.  My very first day there, I'm sitting in the cafeteria eating lunch and this young woman comes over and looks at me.  "Bob?"  Uh, yeah, it's me.  "I'm Erin!  It's so nice to finally meet you!"  She's apparently recognized me from my tiny little picture on my emails.  The picture is from when I started back in '05 so I didn't think it looked much like me anymore, but there aren't a lot of Asians with Fu Manchu facial hair, so I guess you could say I have a rather distinctive look.  Anyway, she's one of dozens of clients and countless co-workers, so I finally placed her face with her name about 30 seconds after we concluded our rather awkward introductions and she left me to finish my lunch.  I watched her walk away, of course.

Two days later, I got on the elevator and there was a young woman already in it.  Brief nod and smile of acknowledgement.  She says "Hi, Bob."  She sees that I looked just a bit confused, or at least caught off-guard, so she continues "I'm Melissa."  Once again, brief awkward conversation, then the elevator dings and stops on her floor and as I watch her step out and walk away, it occurs to me that there are actually plusses to working at HQ.

And now the story that Shadow's "Angel" story reminded me of.  Yesterday I was sitting at a workstation that happens to be at the end of the room facing some conference rooms.  Some people are coming out, and the first one out is this cute Asian girl who turns to wait for the others to come out.  As she turns, she sees me gawking at her (busted!) and smiles and says "Hi, Bob!" and I smile back and say Hi.  Then her colleagues come out and they all leave together.  I have no idea who she was, but obviously she knew me.  I don't know whether to be flattered or paranoid or what.  I have a rather unique look, and yeah, it's intentional so I guess I've brought it upon myself.  People recognize me but I'm personally pretty bad with names and faces.  I just check out all my pretty co-workers and consider it the trade-off for working in a dungeon.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: February 27, 2024, 07:57:11 AM »

That was my guess.

:)

I'm kidding, of course.

For both of you, I don't think "paranoid" is necessarily justified.  I think a "Hi, Bob" or "Hi, Konrad" is just what it is in the moment.  The most likely answer isn't that she thinks you guys are creepsters, or that she wants to sleep with you (no offense), but rather it's a work environment and that's someone making the most of it.   "Create relationships before you need them" sort of thing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 08:02:42 AM by Stadler »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #369 on: February 27, 2024, 09:08:32 AM »
I figure it's something like that, too.  It's just kinda weird walking around and all these people know who I am, know my name, but I honestly don't even recognize most of them.  But as I said, it's mostly my own fault, and there are certainly worse things than having pretty girls smile and say Hi to you all the time.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: February 27, 2024, 01:48:07 PM »
I figure it's something like that, too.  It's just kinda weird walking around and all these people know who I am, know my name, but I honestly don't even recognize most of them.  But as I said, it's mostly my own fault, and there are certainly worse things than having pretty girls smile and say Hi to you all the time.

Tell me about it!  :) :) :) :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #371 on: February 27, 2024, 05:09:39 PM »
I passed a guy in the hall today who looked at me and said "Hey, how's it going?  It's been a while."  He seemed pretty excited to see me.  I said "Pretty good, you?" and he said he was doing good.  We were going in opposite directions and that was the extent of our conversation.  I have no idea who it was.

So anyway, it's not just the girls.  I almost feel like I should just start saying "Hi" to everybody I see, in case they recognize me and wonder why I always just walk right past them.  At least I'd be known as the weird guy who says "Hi" to everybody and not some stuck-up dude who blows everyone off like he doesn't even see them.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #372 on: February 27, 2024, 08:26:44 PM »

That was my guess.

I'm kidding, of course.

For both of you, I don't think "paranoid" is necessarily justified.  I think a "Hi, Bob" or "Hi, Konrad" is just what it is in the moment.  The most likely answer isn't that she thinks you guys are creepsters, or that she wants to sleep with you (no offense), but rather it's a work environment and that's someone making the most of it.   "Create relationships before you need them" sort of thing.

To be clear I wasn't wondering about her motivations or thinking she was trying to bang. :lol I'm just not sure how she found out in the first place. It's just one of those social dilemmas that's utterly meaningless (would she have actually been offended if I'd asked hey what's your name? Almost definitely not) but feels weird to ignore at the same time. Plus, frankly, the roundabout way of trying to find out was way more fun than just asking.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #373 on: March 22, 2024, 10:37:51 AM »
You guys are silly with the "trying to bang" stuff.  I'm 62, old and grey, though I assume Shadow is somewhat younger.  But I'm long past the point where I'd even mistake a female co-worker simply being polite with actual flirting, let alone any attempt to bang.  I'm just saying that it's kinda nice walking through an office building and these lovely young ladies smile and say Hi to me.  I probably average at least a couple times a week, every couple of days, something like that.  The other day, I passed two ladies walking through the lobby, and I recognized one of them as the VP of our division, a very nice woman named Jackie.  As they're walking, the other lady is talking Jackie's ear off, but Jackie sees me and smiles and says "Hi Bob!" and I say Hi back and she says "How are you?" and I answered something meaningless, and by then we're past each other.  But what was funny was that the other person continued talking to Jackie the entire time, and Jackie just tuned her out in favor of a brief convo with me as we passed.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: March 22, 2024, 10:52:42 AM »
The problem is - and I'm not really kidding here - is that though I'm 57, and old, and grey, I'm not ready to start THINKING like that yet.  I still think I'm, if not 27 then certainly 37.  Not saying that I think every woman - or even any woman - wants to bang me, but I'm not really ready to slide into that level of "it's beyond reason". 

Plus, Tony Randall.

Does that make sense?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #375 on: March 22, 2024, 10:53:29 AM »
The problem is - and I'm not really kidding here - is that though I'm 57, and old, and grey, I'm not ready to start THINKING like that yet.  I still think I'm, if not 27 then certainly 37.  Not saying that I think every woman - or even any woman - wants to bang me, but I'm not really ready to slide into that level of "it's beyond reason". 

Plus, Tony Randall.

Does that make sense?

It was always beyond reason. Your age was irrelevant.  :heart
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: March 22, 2024, 10:58:56 AM »

Plus, Tony Randall.

Does that make sense?

Hurtful.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #377 on: March 22, 2024, 10:59:41 AM »

Plus, Tony Randall.

Does that make sense?

Hurtful.

Just trying to clear out the competition. Ain't got no time to deal with them other ho's.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #378 on: March 22, 2024, 11:00:17 AM »
There is, I suppose, a very remote possibility.  But it's far easier to just enjoy the pretty smiles and not worry about any potential behind it.  Anyway, the mundane silly shit I came here to share.

Many, many years ago, my girlfriend (now wife) told me that I'm too serious all the time; I should let loose and just be silly sometimes.  Challenge accepted!  Ever since then, I've made a deliberate attempt to be silly, with varying degrees of success, of course.  So I'll just whip out complete nonsense sometimes, stuff that seems vaguely logical or reasonable but which would never survive even cursory scrutiny.  I can't help that I'm a logical thinking person, so I guess even my silliness has to have some logic to it.

Recently our daughter was visiting and we were going to go out somewhere, probably for dinner or something.  First, I had to go change out of my sweats.  I went upstairs and of course the first thing I do is turn on some tunes.  Just radio, but with 10 presets I can usually find something.  Commercials, blah.  Next station... commercials.  Next, next, next... commercials on all of them.  WTF?  I look and it's right near the top of the hour, and all radio stations have to do station identification within five minutes of the hour.  My wife yells from downstairs, asking what's taking so long, I just need to put some jeans on.  I told her that I have to find some tunes first.  Why?  "Because what if I make a mistake?"  I hate that particular sentence structure, by the way; I don't think it's even correct English.  "Because" followed by a question.  "Because how will we know?" or "Because who can say?"  But my wife uses that structure all the time, so I threw it back at her.  Obviously I can't change my pants without putting some music on first "because what if I make a mistake?"

Eventually I find some tunes and change my pants and come down.  I've already forgotten about our inane conversation and am ready to go.  "Why do you have to put music on to change your pants?" she asks.  Ah, a new challenge!  Explain this in a way that actually makes sense (but would never survive even cursory scrutiny).

"Okay, look,"  I say.  "Would you agree that if you're not in a good state of mind, you're more likely to make mistakes?"  She agrees.

"And listening to music can help put you in a better state of mind, right?  Put you in a better mood, all that?"  She agrees, reluctantly this time because she can see where I'm going.

"Therefore, if I put some tunes on, I'm less likely to make a mistake."  Right, but what kind of mistake could I make, just changing my pants?  "I don't know!  But are you willing to risk that?  When we're going out in public?!"

She tells me I'm silly.  "Thank you" I say.

Mundane But True!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #379 on: March 22, 2024, 11:08:33 AM »
You know, that IS pretty silly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #380 on: March 22, 2024, 11:41:27 AM »
:lol

Orbert, your story reminds me of an all too frequent interaction between me and Mrs. P. We'll be at some warehouse store or another with our cart and a list when we pass a shelf full of a product we frequently buy. She'll look at me and say, "Do you recall if we're low on [insert staple of our existence] at home?" I'll shrug, and say, "I think I put the last one from the pantry in the fridge the other day." So she'll grab the oversized quantity and toss it into the basket.

Of course when we get home, and open the pantry to put it away, there's already a two-pack of the stuff precariously leaning on the edge of the overstuffed shelves. We once had eight 1-liter plastic bottles of tonic water in there, for fuck's sake!

At least once a month, I come home with something from Costco that we already have plenty of - paper towels, eggs, ketchup, vinegar.  It's especially dangerous when things are on sale.  My cheap ass mind always thinks "I'm saving $3, and it doesn't go bad".  Next thing you know, I've got 19 boxes of baking soda.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: March 22, 2024, 12:01:15 PM »
:lol

Orbert, your story reminds me of an all too frequent interaction between me and Mrs. P. We'll be at some warehouse store or another with our cart and a list when we pass a shelf full of a product we frequently buy. She'll look at me and say, "Do you recall if we're low on [insert staple of our existence] at home?" I'll shrug, and say, "I think I put the last one from the pantry in the fridge the other day." So she'll grab the oversized quantity and toss it into the basket.

Of course when we get home, and open the pantry to put it away, there's already a two-pack of the stuff precariously leaning on the edge of the overstuffed shelves. We once had eight 1-liter plastic bottles of tonic water in there, for fuck's sake!

At least once a month, I come home with something from Costco that we already have plenty of - paper towels, eggs, ketchup, vinegar.  It's especially dangerous when things are on sale.  My cheap ass mind always thinks "I'm saving $3, and it doesn't go bad".  Next thing you know, I've got 19 boxes of baking soda.

You and my wife.  She always throws in the "but I saved $3!" not realizing that YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO SPEND THE $19 TO BEGIN WITH!  I have enough staples to put together Asia and North America. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #382 on: March 22, 2024, 12:04:58 PM »
There's nothing worse than going to Costco.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: March 22, 2024, 12:10:08 PM »
There's nothing worse than going to Costco.

Yeah, it's not a fun experience, but worth the torture

Online pg1067

« Reply #384 on: March 22, 2024, 12:13:30 PM »
You guys are silly with the "trying to bang" stuff.  I'm 62, old and grey, though I assume Shadow is somewhat younger.  But I'm long past the point where I'd even mistake a female co-worker simply being polite with actual flirting, let alone any attempt to bang.

There are a couple women who work in the same building as me (but not with my company) who are both attractive and friendly.  Every time, I have to remind myself that I'm 56, not 30.  Sigh....

I have enough staples to put together Asia and North America. 

I bought a stapler back in the early '90s and also bought a big box of staple refills.  I'm pretty sure I have replaced the stapler, but I still have the same box of staples, and it's probably still half full!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung