Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93442 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: Distant Memories - New live release
« Reply #245 on: October 02, 2020, 11:17:45 AM »
DT just posted on Facebook that the phone booth cover will be used for the deluxe edition. I wish they used that one for all formats.

I'm hoping it's the same artbook edition or whatever it was that first appeared as limited to 200 only.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #246 on: October 02, 2020, 12:43:52 PM »
Anyone know if there’s a Majesty symbol anywhere on the phone booth artwork ?
I’m not seeing one , but I’m looking on my phone ...
Thanks!
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #247 on: October 02, 2020, 02:24:08 PM »
Thanks!

Good point! I can't find it either (if there's one).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #248 on: October 02, 2020, 03:27:44 PM »
I don't see the symbol but is that a crown just above the word Telephone?  ???
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline NoFred

« Reply #249 on: October 02, 2020, 03:57:39 PM »
Wow. Saw them at one of the spring NA shows, and PBD was the first set highlight. So much so I think it should stay on the set list.

But here? JLB sounds awful. What the hell happened? It’s hard to listen to.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #250 on: October 02, 2020, 04:56:51 PM »
Thanks!

They’ve skipped out on it before on Once in a Livetime. I’ve never found it at least. Maybe it doesn’t apply to live releases?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #251 on: October 03, 2020, 01:43:09 AM »
Wow. Saw them at one of the spring NA shows, and PBD was the first set highlight. So much so I think it should stay on the set list.

But here? JLB sounds awful. What the hell happened? It’s hard to listen to.

What are you talking about?  Maybe his voice is not as high in the mix, but he doesn’t sound horrible, ok?  Maybe you should upgrade the device you’re listening with. Starting with your ears!   :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline NoFred

« Reply #252 on: October 03, 2020, 09:22:10 AM »
Would love some new ears. It’s not the quality though, he doesn’t sound OK here not annunciating at all. To be clear he was on point at the show I attended. I remember some lalala’s in the denser parts of songs like Strange Deja Vu, but that’s it. I’m suggesting he’s unusually off here, it’s still awful.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #253 on: October 03, 2020, 09:25:55 AM »
Thanks!

They’ve skipped out on it before on Once in a Livetime. I’ve never found it at least. Maybe it doesn’t apply to live releases?
they did, but that was only because Storm Thorgerson (who did OIAL and FII) never used pre-existing wordmarks or logos. (although the Majesty symbol can be seen on FII). All the other cover art features it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 09:59:59 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #254 on: October 03, 2020, 06:57:34 PM »
Would love some new ears. It’s not the quality though, he doesn’t sound OK here not annunciating at all. To be clear he was on point at the show I attended. I remember some lalala’s in the denser parts of songs like Strange Deja Vu, but that’s it. I’m suggesting he’s unusually off here, it’s still awful.

I’ve defended James for years, but really can’t anymore  :-\. He sounds bad most of the time.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: October 03, 2020, 08:58:01 PM »
they did, but that was only because Storm Thorgerson (who did OIAL and FII) never used pre-existing wordmarks or logos.

I always thought this was asinine. Does he not understand branding? Why would any established artist use someone who had this mentality?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #256 on: October 04, 2020, 02:53:34 AM »
Because he’s done some of the most iconic album covers for some of the most iconic bands of all time.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: October 04, 2020, 10:08:46 AM »
I get it, but would he go to Maiden and say "Hey I got this great idea for an album cover, but I won't use that Eddie guy at all, because pre-existing logos and such..."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #258 on: October 04, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »
I get it, but would he go to Maiden and say "Hey I got this great idea for an album cover, but I won't use that Eddie guy at all, because pre-existing logos and such..."

I think bands go to him, more than him going to bands.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: October 04, 2020, 11:22:19 AM »
I know, I know.... bad example. Still, I&W and Awake were my two favorite albums in the early-mid 90s. When I saw FII in the music store the first time (pre-internet, and I didn't subscribe to any magazines, etc...) I thought "What the heck is this, is this a new DT album?" because I didn't see the band font I was so used to seeing on the I&W and Awake.

We can move on... this is apparently solely my issue.  :police:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #260 on: October 04, 2020, 11:36:46 AM »
I know, I know.... bad example. Still, I&W and Awake were my two favorite albums in the early-mid 90s. When I saw FII in the music store the first time (pre-internet, and I didn't subscribe to any magazines, etc...) I thought "What the heck is this, is this a new DT album?" because I didn't see the band font I was so used to seeing on the I&W and Awake.

I agree with you. It is an odd choice not to use a bands logo when working with bands. But, it's his personal choice and bands don't have to work with him.

Some bands are lucky and fortunate to have an artist in the band, or know one personally, to make the album art.

I don't mind Collage work at all either. As long as it's not blatantly bad like Dance of Death, then it's ok. BC&SL almost hit that line, but it's passable.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #261 on: October 04, 2020, 12:33:45 PM »

I agree with you for the most part, but I actually think the FII DT font fits the album since it was a big style change for the band too, SFAM brought "their" sound back, and brought their font too :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #262 on: October 04, 2020, 01:16:18 PM »

The WTF feeling given by the cover was a warning of what was on the disc...
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #263 on: October 04, 2020, 02:33:19 PM »
But didn't Storm Thorgerson make Yes' Going For The One album cover? It has Roger Dean's Yes logo on it. Maybe this was before he made that decision?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #264 on: October 05, 2020, 06:32:33 AM »

No, I agree with you, I like to see the DT font on an album cover. Just saying that, if you want the kudos of having him do your cover, you have to agree to his terms.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #265 on: October 05, 2020, 06:37:09 AM »
But didn't Storm Thorgerson make Yes' Going For The One album cover? It has Roger Dean's Yes logo on it. Maybe this was before he made that decision?

Or maybe he felt it looked right and complemented his artwork well?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #266 on: October 05, 2020, 10:35:29 AM »

What if the guy on the cover of GFTO is the same guy who's on the cover of Hemispheres?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #267 on: October 05, 2020, 10:50:43 AM »

What if the guy on the cover of GFTO is the same guy who's on the cover of Hemispheres?
is he?:D

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #268 on: October 05, 2020, 11:00:56 AM »
I don't think so - pretty sure Storm always had that mentality. I would imagine in the case of GFtO, the band insisted on Storm using their classic Yes logo. And to be honest, on that album, it looks completely out of place.

For DT, the impression I got from MP when discussing DT's album artwork was that the band pretty much lets the artist do what they want, trusting that they know what they're doing (the artists are the professionals in that field), and only vetoing something they (the band) don't like or want changed. Given that they were simply excited to have someone as legendary as Storm doing their artwork for their fourth album, they were probably willing to go along with whatever Storm suggested, hoping that it would help them move up to the next level of success and popularity.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #269 on: October 05, 2020, 11:18:08 AM »

I think Going For The One was done by Hipgnosis.  Hipgnosis was an art design group that worked on album covers and Storm was a member of the group.  His rule about not using previous logos and fonts was probably something he adopted later when he was working on his own.  I believe Hipgnosis did the Tormato cover as well, which also has the Yes logo.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #270 on: October 05, 2020, 12:23:47 PM »
I don't hear anything "unusually off" either.  I'm with PG:  He sounds really good to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #271 on: October 05, 2020, 12:37:29 PM »

is he?:D

In the absence of evidence that he isn't, I choose to be a believer!   :biggrin:

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #272 on: October 07, 2020, 01:40:15 PM »
Just received an email from Century Media , who I purchased my preorder with . They said the cover for the art book has officially been updated since my order was placed . So it’s now the phone booth artwork for the cover of the art book .
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #273 on: October 07, 2020, 02:56:12 PM »
Just received an email from Century Media , who I purchased my preorder with . They said the cover for the art book has officially been updated since my order was placed . So it’s now the phone booth artwork for the cover of the art book .
I got that too.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: October 07, 2020, 11:50:37 PM »
Will the BluRay be available separately?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #275 on: October 08, 2020, 03:02:24 AM »
not as of now (that anyone would know of)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #276 on: October 08, 2020, 07:20:32 AM »
I got that too.

Same. I was actually wondering about it since the announcement regarding the new artwork came much later after the preorders went live. I don't mind at all.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: October 08, 2020, 08:11:45 AM »

I'm not a fan of this trend lately where bands don't package the CD and video separately anymore, even worse when they force you to buy the DVD and Blu-Ray...

having said that, I just preordered the Artbook for this along side the new Devin Townsend live album via Century Media shop, saved 10% too by signing up for texts (which I will turn off once they send me the first one).

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #278 on: October 08, 2020, 09:18:13 AM »
I don't think so - pretty sure Storm always had that mentality. I would imagine in the case of GFtO, the band insisted on Storm using their classic Yes logo. And to be honest, on that album, it looks completely out of place.

For DT, the impression I got from MP when discussing DT's album artwork was that the band pretty much lets the artist do what they want, trusting that they know what they're doing (the artists are the professionals in that field), and only vetoing something they (the band) don't like or want changed. Given that they were simply excited to have someone as legendary as Storm doing their artwork for their fourth album, they were probably willing to go along with whatever Storm suggested, hoping that it would help them move up to the next level of success and popularity.

Yes, I think at that point in time, DT (at least the majority of the band and they were kind of more democratic by then) was more open to suggestions in their music and career. Also, with less years of existance and smaller fan base, that logo still wasn't viewed as "so classic".
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #279 on: October 08, 2020, 09:43:24 AM »

I'm not a fan of this trend lately where bands don't package the CD and video separately anymore, even worse when they force you to buy the DVD and Blu-Ray...

Even worse is where they force you to buy vinyl if you want all of the extra-special goodies (as Rush has been doing with its 40th anniversary releases, but which does not appear to be applicable to this DT product).  In this case, all I'm potentially interested in is the video.