Author Topic: Distant Memories - New live release  (Read 93380 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: All members of DT teasing news
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2020, 06:30:46 PM »
Cool name and cover. Not sure if I will buy. Will definitely give it a listen.

.... but it's better than simply "Live in London" "Live at the Marquee" or "Live at Luna Park" (I give L@B a pass)

No doubt.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2020, 06:35:51 PM »
I'll but this no doubt because even though I have Lives Scenes from New York I'd like to have MM's version as well.
I'd have been more interested in this if they would've changed up the performances more (like they did with several songs from IaW on the 2017 tour) instead of pretty much playing everything as it is on the album (notwithstanding MM's drum solo outro to FF and other small details). I too will purchase this, but I doubt the second set will get much of an airing from me.

I'd have preferred more DoT songs but all in all the DVD will be great.
That's what I was thinking too, they only played 6 tracks from the new album. Then I realized BTFW only has 5 songs from DT12 (FAS technically doesn't count as it's just a tape intro), but that one had a much more varied setlist than the last tour.
That's what happens when you dedicate half of the show to playing a full older album, in addition to promoting your latest album. From the beginning, I had wished they would've spent the first half of 2019 focused just on d/t with a setlist that included a variety of other tracks, and then come back with a revised setlist focused on SFaM but still including a couple d/t tracks and other older songs, but obviously that's not what happened. It is what it is.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2020, 09:26:28 PM »
I’m going to buy this absolutely no question but it’s probably the first DT release that I’m not at all excited about.  It’s probably because I was at one of the London shows and it was the first DT show I didn’t enjoy. James sounded awful, the crowd was dead and just a really disappointing night.  I assume the dvd was shot on the 2nd night so hopefully JLB was better or they can use some trickery to make it sound better.  Hopefully the crowd was more up for it too knowing they were recording.

I was there the 2nd night and James nailed it!  I saw the show 4x and this was the best one!  I wished there was more standing, but the woman next to me was
so stoked, I had a blast!

That makes me feel a bit better about it. Hopefully it comes out well.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2020, 09:28:27 PM »
Either I get to hear it at 10, or at Midnight.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline faizoff

« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2020, 09:43:09 PM »
Nov 27! can't wait, love the cover and looking forward to watching the performance again, the show was fantastic and I even met the guys before the show. Really glad I took that plunge.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2020, 10:05:12 PM »
1 hour till midnight for me, will definitely be checking this out then (might need to download spotify again but what can we do :lol)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2020, 10:10:56 PM »
https://open.spotify.com/track/2XNlGG9hRzEtMfiQx4oHHm?si=0XNT4XNXQTmxjEk0ZqaHOA

:metal :metal :metal

I hope this means a video on youtube is up soon  :metal Sounds good, vocals are buried in the mix but drums/guitar/keyboard sound very good

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2020, 10:19:03 PM »
Yay...I didn't have to wait till midnight.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2020, 10:20:44 PM »
Who could've mixed the album? Maybe JP went with Andy Sneap again?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2020, 10:29:31 PM »
This is a really good mix. Loving those toms. I'd say it's up there with Budokan.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2020, 10:55:49 PM »
Mix sounds good, not a big fan of the snare sound.
James' voice sounds like 90% retouched though.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2020, 11:23:25 PM »
I’m going to buy this absolutely no question but it’s probably the first DT release that I’m not at all excited about.  It’s probably because I was at one of the London shows and it was the first DT show I didn’t enjoy. James sounded awful, the crowd was dead and just a really disappointing night.  I assume the dvd was shot on the 2nd night so hopefully JLB was better or they can use some trickery to make it sound better.  Hopefully the crowd was more up for it too knowing they were recording.

I was there the 2nd night and James nailed it!  I saw the show 4x and this was the best one!  I wished there was more standing, but the woman next to me was

I think it sounded great! Just how I remember it, except for the little differences with the guitar..it's too exciting when you're there to catch everything. That guitar tone is so  :hefdaddy

Offline Addy

« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2020, 11:26:47 PM »
Sounds good, enjoyed it! What the hell is this toms sound though?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2020, 11:36:46 PM »
Loving those toms.

What the hell is this toms sound though?

DTF in a nutshell :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2020, 11:56:05 PM »
That artwork is atrocious
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2020, 12:39:59 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2020, 02:06:33 AM »
Seems like the releasedate is 27 november.

Offline emtee

« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2020, 02:26:56 AM »
Nice! Love both albums. First day buyer.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2020, 03:15:49 AM »
I hope we get a video as well, to see the video production.

Really curious to hear more vocally demanding songs as well, even on PBD the vocal touch-ups are more than evident.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2020, 03:38:50 AM »

It was mixed by Jimmy T.  John said he was mixing it during his FB live chat with MP and DLR.

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2020, 04:10:26 AM »
Video will be released tonight :metal

Online Fritzinger

« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2020, 04:43:38 AM »
I just listened to PBD. What. Is. Up. With. The. Toms.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2020, 04:52:46 AM »

Its Mikes kit. Time to change to Tama😀

Online Fritzinger

« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2020, 04:57:41 AM »

Its Mikes kit. Time to change to Tama😀

Nah, can somebody please buy this poor guy a friggin Sonor SQ2?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2020, 05:34:52 AM »
Really, the mix sounds good to me, but the drums make me think...

For a long time most of us complained about the SUPER strange snare on DT12, just omitted too much of Mike's playing cause it was too low.

Then the guy goes and tunes it really well for the album DOT! But live, it seems like it doesn't have enough depth to me. It's like he really wanted to get a really high snare sound, to turn away from that low sound he was so bashed for. You could tell it from the YT videos of the tour already.

About the toms, the thing that is probably bothering you guys is the floor toms, that he chose the ones without the bottom heads. Maybe it wasn't that easy to fit them on the overall sound.

But in general I thought this mix we just listened to on PBD was an evolution! I feel Jimmy T has a lot more to offer to the band in terms of sound  :metal

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2020, 05:58:05 AM »

My suspicion is crowd shots will be taken from the first night, while the band shots will be from the second. Various reasons for thinking this, mostly related to camera positions and security which I'd explain further but it's lunchtime and I'm hungry.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2020, 06:22:06 AM »

Well, as always, people interpret differently. I thought he sounded poor on the second night, as well as on the first night. On the plus side, certainly sounds like his vocals have been properly tinkered with on Pale Blue Dot.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2020, 06:39:31 AM »
The video is going to be premiered in 5 minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsRT8ee97eo

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2020, 06:41:49 AM »

It was mixed by Jimmy T.  John said he was mixing it during his FB live chat with MP and DLR.
David Lee Roth?!?!?!?  :omg:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2020, 06:58:23 AM »
The video is going to be premiered in 5 minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsRT8ee97eo
That was damn good.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2020, 06:58:27 AM »

Well, that was....something. Mike's floor toms sounded like wet blankets to me. The stars of this performance were definitely Jordan and JP, but LaBrie wasn't bad either.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2020, 06:58:44 AM »
Mix of shots from both nights there. The track camera was only present on the second night, whereas the on-stage up and down cameras were only there on the first night.

Just in case anyone's interested :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2020, 06:58:55 AM »
It doesn't sound like live. Disappoting. So robotic, so unnatural. And I don't even mention sitting crowd in a live DVD with a song like PBD.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2020, 07:00:04 AM »
It doesn't sound like live. Disappoting. So robotic, so unnatural. And I don't even mention sitting crowd in a live DVD with a song like PBD.
as it should be. Could have been more robotic though IMHO. (but that's just me. I love clean music.) On another note, I didn't expect PBD to be chosen as the first piece from the live album. (I like that they did it though.)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 07:06:51 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"