Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 348660 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: DT15 in progress. Photo and video shoots in May (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #1190 on: April 26, 2021, 02:03:59 AM »
should James leave his hair white/gray?
i think that he could rock those colors

and yes, that "ventablack" hair of previous years is a little off-putting

Speaking of hair, I've noticed that JR has grown his out during the pandemic. I wonder if he will keep it that way, or shave his head as before.

Seems like they both have to make a conscious decision soon since the photo shoot is incoming. Stay as they are, or get back to their usual looks?

Also the weird thing is that we've all seen them like this in videos. I mean, it's not that we don't KNOW that Jordan is not totally bald or that men of their age obviously dye their hair, but until you never see them, the illusion kinda stands. If the whole point was "we have to look younger, looks plays a little bit of a part", they would refuse to show themselves with the hair growth, since they don't care for it, they might as well stop with the dye.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline JRuless

« Reply #1191 on: April 26, 2021, 02:09:18 AM »
should James leave his hair white/gray?
i think that he could rock those colors

and yes, that "ventablack" hair of previous years is a little off-putting

Agree! I like the senior look in LTE. Its not about 'old' but if done in the right way its about experience in a vital way. I think its time for such an era. Embrace it.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: DT15 in progress. Final mix initiated. (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #1192 on: April 26, 2021, 02:47:40 AM »
I was being sarcastic.  I actually don't think it's a "bad" album.  It's just not my cup of tea.  I'm not one of those people who thinks it's just garbage.  There's actually a few really good songs scattered across those two discs.

If they could have culled it down to one disc of the best material I probably would have liked it and listened to it a lot more.

Wow - you could have done this years ago. You could do it now and possibly have a different opinion about the album.

See, to me, The Astonishing doesn't just need to be trimmed down to the better songs, those songs also need to be extended to make them DT awesome. The Chosen is a fantastic song, but it's crying out for a beautiful guitar solo, and several of the tracks need manic extended instrumentals to make them work. So even if I cut out half the songs, I'd double the length of the others.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline AboutToCrash

Holy hell he's looking really grey.

Breaking news: 57 year old man has grey hair  ;)

Offline Architeuthis

Holy hell he's looking really grey.

Breaking news: 57 year old man has grey hair  ;)
Yep, and looks better than the dyed black by far.  It has more of a prog rock jedi master vibe.  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1195 on: April 26, 2021, 07:30:14 AM »
I was being sarcastic.  I actually don't think it's a "bad" album.  It's just not my cup of tea.  I'm not one of those people who thinks it's just garbage.  There's actually a few really good songs scattered across those two discs.

If they could have culled it down to one disc of the best material I probably would have liked it and listened to it a lot more.

Wow - you could have done this years ago. You could do it now and possibly have a different opinion about the album.

See, to me, The Astonishing doesn't just need to be trimmed down to the better songs, those songs also need to be extended to make them DT awesome. The Chosen is a fantastic song, but it's crying out for a beautiful guitar solo, and several of the tracks need manic extended instrumentals to make them work. So even if I cut out half the songs, I'd double the length of the others.

I have no idea what version of Chosen you're listening to, but it does have an amazing beautiful guitar solo. That guitar solo is one reason I love Chosen.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1196 on: April 26, 2021, 08:10:29 AM »

I have no idea what version of Chosen you're listening to, but it does have an amazing beautiful guitar solo. That guitar solo is one reason I love Chosen.
That's what I was thinking.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1197 on: April 26, 2021, 08:14:01 AM »
Speaking of hair, I've noticed that JR has grown his out during the pandemic. I wonder if he will keep it that way, or shave his head as before.
Jordan posted a video in FB yesterday. He shaved his head. I like James grey, but he will need to cut his hair. The white for 4 inches, followed by black isn't a good look to me.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1198 on: April 26, 2021, 12:15:45 PM »

Uh, OK, but this assumes that I want to do something like that and it misses the point I was making.  I didn't say "If I could have culled it down" (I both could have and did cull it down) I said "If they could have culled it down" Meaning, if they could have made the album shorter themselves.  I'm not referring to just taking the best tracks from it and ditching the rest.  I did that a week after it came out, but even the best material from this album is just kind of there.  And bastardizing it like that makes the story completely opaque and pointless.  So it becomes a collection of 7 or 8 decent, but mostly disjointed tracks that just don't scratch my Dream Theater itch.  What's the point of listening to 1/3 of a concept album? 

I have a collection of Dream Theater songs compiled into a big playlist and some of the tracks from this album made the cut along with a few selected tracks from some of the other Dream Theater albums I'm not very fond of like Octavarium, Systematic Chaos, Falling Into Infinity and the self-titled album. 

But I would have preferred a single-album and not a Frankenstein's partial mix of what I consider the best tracks, but a completed piece of work by the artist themselves. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1199 on: April 26, 2021, 12:48:21 PM »
What's the point of listening to 1/3 of a concept album? 

This made me laugh out loud.   :)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1200 on: April 26, 2021, 01:27:41 PM »
So here's my take on TA. I don't think DT made it thinking any DT fans would often casually listen to it just like any old DT album. I love the album, but I hardly listen to it unless I'm in the mood and have the time to take that journey. I kind of look at it the way I look at Krispy Kreme donuts vs donuts from a traditional donut shop. Krispy Kreme donuts are technically donuts right? But we all know they're kind of their own thing. Completely different from donuts that are made at a traditional donut shop. I might be in the mood for donuts (a DT album) one morning, but that doesn't mean I'm in the mood for Krispy Kreme donuts (TA). Gotta be in the right mood for those. Sometimes I'm totally in the mood for Krispy Kreme (TA) and a traditional donut (more typical DT album) isn't going to give me what I'm craving from a KK (TA). The problem with the fans is, they want The Astonishing to be a traditional donut so bad but it's not. It's a Krispy Kreme donut.

It's unfair to talk about it in the same way we'd talk about a normal DT album. It's not. It wasn't supposed to be. It's never going to be. In that way, it's unfair to compare it to the others. Apples to oranges. It's a fuckin rock opera for crying out loud. :lol
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1201 on: April 26, 2021, 01:39:37 PM »
I kind of look at it the way I look at Krispy Kreme donuts vs donuts from a traditional donut shop. Krispy Kreme donuts are technically donuts right? But we all know they're kind of their own thing. Completely different from donuts that are made at a traditional donut shop.

LOL...what?  The standard Krispy Kreme glazed donut is virtually identical to a glazed donut at every other donut shop.  What makes KK different is that most of its donuts are based on the standard glazed donut.  There are tons of KK varieties that are nothing but a standard glazed donut with something added on top.  A normal donut shop has two categories of donuts:  those made with yeast (e.g., a standard glazed) and those made like cake (e.g., a standard sprinkle donut).  Basing most of its donuts on the standard glazed creates lots of production efficiencies for KK, but reduces variety.  Fortunately, KK has a few varieties that are slightly different (e.g., Boston Cream).

With all that being said, the analogy of TA to KK might make sense in terms of the massive amount of sameness on the album, but I don't think that was what you were going for.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1202 on: April 26, 2021, 02:40:17 PM »
KK donuts  =  :tdwn

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1203 on: April 26, 2021, 02:42:43 PM »
A Dream Theater album is like your favorite item(s) at Taco Bell, plus a couple of tacos and a drink.

The Astonishing is all of the Taco Bell ingredients piled high onto a giant platter, with no drink, no utensils, and no napkins.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1204 on: April 26, 2021, 04:28:54 PM »
A Dream Theater album is like your favorite item(s) at Taco Bell, plus a couple of tacos and a drink.

The Astonishing is all of the Taco Bell ingredients piled high onto a giant platter, with no drink, no utensils, and no napkins.

:rollin

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: April 26, 2021, 11:05:10 PM »
Well, one thing's for sure. We all know a lot more about doughnuts now.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: April 27, 2021, 12:24:22 AM »
Apart from the donuts which I don't know anything about I wholeheartedly agree with you.

The Astonishing is to me a masterpiece that is quite different from their other albums yet still contains the core of what they are.

It's also something where you will need time and focus to really aporeciate it.

It's clearly not for everyone but for some of us it holds a apecial place in our hearts.

Cutting it down would be like carving away at my heart

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1207 on: April 27, 2021, 02:39:26 AM »
So here's my take on TA. I don't think DT made it thinking any DT fans would often casually listen to it just like any old DT album. I love the album, but I hardly listen to it unless I'm in the mood and have the time to take that journey. I kind of look at it the way I look at Krispy Kreme donuts vs donuts from a traditional donut shop. Krispy Kreme donuts are technically donuts right? But we all know they're kind of their own thing. Completely different from donuts that are made at a traditional donut shop. I might be in the mood for donuts (a DT album) one morning, but that doesn't mean I'm in the mood for Krispy Kreme donuts (TA). Gotta be in the right mood for those. Sometimes I'm totally in the mood for Krispy Kreme (TA) and a traditional donut (more typical DT album) isn't going to give me what I'm craving from a KK (TA). The problem with the fans is, they want The Astonishing to be a traditional donut so bad but it's not. It's a Krispy Kreme donut.

It's unfair to talk about it in the same way we'd talk about a normal DT album. It's not. It wasn't supposed to be. It's never going to be. In that way, it's unfair to compare it to the others. Apples to oranges. It's a fuckin rock opera for crying out loud. :lol

Yngwie Malmstein did not like this post
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1208 on: April 27, 2021, 05:07:01 AM »

Yngwie Malmstein did not like this post

:lol Yngwie and the "fooking" donuts...
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1209 on: April 27, 2021, 06:43:01 AM »

You are incorrect.  :)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1210 on: April 27, 2021, 06:49:43 AM »
I had KK for the first time just a few weeks ago. Way better than Dunkin'
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1211 on: April 27, 2021, 07:59:32 AM »

Oh Yeah? All I know is that every time someone would bring KKs into the office, the glazed donuts look like they were coated in polyurethane so much that I could see my reflection in them. Give me a regular glazed donut from your mom and pop shop any day of the week.

That said, it's prolly been close to two years since I've had a donut of any kind.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1212 on: April 27, 2021, 08:01:14 AM »
Dunkin’ Donuts are not good, they have a weird chemically taste to them.

For me, The Astonishing and Dunkin’ Donuts are very similar, they are both the bottom of their respective barrels.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1213 on: April 27, 2021, 09:24:31 AM »

Hot N Ready, baby.  Nothing like it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1214 on: April 27, 2021, 09:33:05 AM »
I'm just waiting for the announcement that DT15 will be a double concept album about donuts. They'll make you pick sides, DD or KK, and your order will ship with discount cupons and free coffee.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1215 on: April 27, 2021, 10:01:38 AM »
I'm just waiting for the announcement that DT15 will be a double concept album about donuts. They'll make you pick sides, DD or KK, and your order will ship with discount cupons and free coffee.

Free coffee gives DD the edge.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1216 on: April 27, 2021, 11:08:19 AM »
Dunkin’ Donuts are not good, they have a weird chemically taste to them.

Dunkin' are more dissimilar to your normal donut than are KK.  The angel donuts at Dunkin' are killer, as are the toasted coconut and butternut donuts.  I haven't been there in a while, but I was geeked when they opened a Dunkin' close enough to me to go once in a while.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1217 on: April 27, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »
I dunno, but I find the donuts from the Safeway bakery better than KK or DD.  Just ask your local sheriff.. 👮‍♂️🍩
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1218 on: April 27, 2021, 02:04:01 PM »

Nope!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1219 on: April 27, 2021, 02:31:59 PM »

I'm still waiting for the "Smell My Beard" 20-minute epic.  :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1220 on: April 27, 2021, 05:08:32 PM »
DD apple fritter is better than KK, it has apple filling in the middle.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1221 on: April 27, 2021, 05:41:55 PM »

I'm still waiting for the "Smell My Beard" 20-minute epic.  :lol

Well, we got a 14+ min "your beard is good" improvisation jam, so close enough
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1222 on: April 28, 2021, 07:29:56 AM »

Nope!
:lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: April 28, 2021, 07:31:19 AM »
Nice! :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1224 on: April 28, 2021, 11:15:08 AM »

Nope!

I enjoyed that way more than I should have.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."