Author Topic: Can someone verify something I noticed on Live at Luna Park?  (Read 12088 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: Can someone verify something I noticed on Live at Luna Park?
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »
I just took the live clip of OTBOA off Youtube, and lined it up side by side with the studio version, and it syncs up dead perfectly for the entire song.
I'd upload it, except I'm pretty sure it would be against the forum rules to post unofficial links to both the studio track and live track at the same time. :lol
Easy enough for anyone to check for themselves first hand if they're interested though.

Is this surprising?  I thought DT's use of click-tracks to keep live performances at album tempo was well-known.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2013, 03:36:36 PM »
I just took the live clip of OTBOA off Youtube, and lined it up side by side with the studio version, and it syncs up dead perfectly for the entire song.
I'd upload it, except I'm pretty sure it would be against the forum rules to post unofficial links to both the studio track and live track at the same time. :lol
Easy enough for anyone to check for themselves first hand if they're interested though.

Is this surprising?  I thought DT's use of click-tracks to keep live performances at album tempo was well-known.

That's since Mangini, though. In their Portnoy live shows, they played without a click and usually a tad faster.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2013, 04:22:58 PM »
Okay, so there's a part in Bridges in the Sky where something James does makes no sense, and he isn't shown on camera while it happens. Anyone else hear it?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2013, 07:07:37 PM »

No, it's not surprising, I've been pretty certain of it since the tour started, I just know it's been debated a little bit, and was just being discussed, so I thought I'd bring it up. No big deal. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2013, 07:46:45 PM »
I immediately noticed the weird thing in Outcry that the OP talked about .  :rollin

Crazy that the editors/band didn't really do anything about it.

I'm not a video editor or anything but they should have chose a shot that didn't feature Labrie at that part or something.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »
I immediately noticed the weird thing in Outcry that the OP talked about .  :rollin

Crazy that the editors/band didn't really do anything about it.

I'm not a video editor or anything but they should have chose a shot that didn't feature Labrie at that part or something.

Reminds me of the spot in the Budokan Instrumedley multi-angle where you can see JM mess up a section and stop playing, although in that case, they had no alternative footage.

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2013, 11:19:33 PM »

No, it's not surprising, I've been pretty certain of it since the tour started, I just know it's been debated a little bit, and was just being discussed, so I thought I'd bring it up. No big deal. :tup

No big deal at all, and you're probably right about it top (those versions of OTBOA lined up quite well). But to me, it isn't a "known fact" until it's confirmed by the band in a way or another. It's all about validating facts, uptil then were only assuming..

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2013, 11:51:39 PM »

No big deal at all, and you're probably right about it top (those versions of OTBOA lined up quite well). But to me, it isn't a "known fact" until it's confirmed by the band in a way or another. It's all about validating facts, uptil then were only assuming..

Something doesn't have to be confirmed by the band to be a fact, however I do remember them mentioning at the start of the tour about using click tracks, although that was over 2 years ago, so I can't recall which of the 1000 interviews it was in! I'll have to get Jaffa on the case.

A lot of bands do it these days, because it allows you to sync up backing tracks for background vocals (which DT do for vocal parts that can't be recreated live, such as the BMUBMU chorus, and 3 part harmonies, for which a click track is necessary), and it allows the video and lighting show to more effectively complement the music. Given how well received the ADTOE tour was, it was a good decision.

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2013, 12:09:28 AM »

Something doesn't have to be confirmed by the band to be a fact, however I do remember them mentioning at the start of the tour about using click tracks, although that was over 2 years ago, so I can't recall which of the 1000 interviews it was in! I'll have to get Jaffa on the case.

A lot of bands do it these days, because it allows you to sync up backing tracks for background vocals (which DT do for vocal parts that can't be recreated live, such as the BMUBMU chorus, and 3 part harmonies, for which a click track is necessary), and it allows the video and lighting show to more effectively complement the music. Given how well received the ADTOE tour was, it was a good decision.

Well, no it doesn't have to be confirmed by the band, but it would be nice...in a way.

Yeah, I think that it is a good decision. It CAN ruin a live performance though, if you can't handle it, but it seems that DT can handle it very well.

When you mention it, there are quite few parts in DT's songs that needs or at least get's better with click. The soft section@3.01 in Outcry (James+Jordan) and comes to mind, for example.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2013, 12:50:09 AM »
Here are my thoughts regarding Live at Luna Park.

The Good

1. The background vocal issue: I believe that with the exception of a couple of songs where it's clearly JP singing backup, they've used a tape of JLB to double his vocal. Its definitely not MP. I think it's JLB doing his version of the MP growl.

2. The concert: IMO it's by far the best concert they've recorded and released. Much better than Budokan. The drumming is amazing and every single solo piece in the show (drums, piano and guitar) is mind blowing. Every song they played came off perfectly. I didn't see any glaring audio goofs, or syncing issues. JLB had clearly upped his game here. His performance shines like the sun on this one.

3. The Lighting: This is definitely a beautiful concert that, among all of the band's live releases, deserves blu ray the most. Everything was clear and sharp, beautifully presented.

The Not so Good

1. The Documentary: This is where I felt MPs absence the most. He was really good at documenting the life of the band on the road. His energy and in your face spontaneity is definitely lacking here. I didn't find the documentary at all informative. There was nothing new in what was presented. Really, aside from the dinner before the show, it was just a condensed version of the drummer auditions. (btw, I love that mangini-ing is now a verb :lol)

2. Behind the Scenes: Why was this separated from the documentary? Its all a part of putting the show together. I just don't get it, I guess.

3. Bonus Songs: Why did they have bonus songs? Shouldn't they have been left in place in the concert's playlist? I don't understand why the producers didn't just shoot the songs as they were played in the show? I know it was a two night shoot, but there had to be a way to leave them in the concert without making you go back to the main menu to access them.

Overall Reaction

Do I think it was worth the money? Hell yes! As I said, I think this is the best concert video they've ever released. What I don't understand was the delay in releasing it. After seeing the show and the documentary and the behind the scenes footage, I don't really see what caused the delay. I suppose it was the editing. There is a lot of shots to put into a coherent sequence. I thought the band really came across as a family. The communication and eye contact with each other was fantastic! The performances were incredible. I'm glad I picked this up.

Final Grades

Concert: A+

Documentary: C-

Extras: D
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2013, 01:02:06 AM »

2. The concert: IMO it's by far the best concert they've recorded and released. Much better than Budokan. The drumming is amazing and every single solo piece in the show (drums, piano and guitar) is mind blowing. Every song they played came off perfectly. I didn't see any glaring audio goofs, or syncing issues. JLB had clearly upped his game here. His performance shines like the sun on this one.

What about the sound of the concert, was it as sterile as a few has commented on? Was the audience very low in the mix, like barely audible?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline adastra

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2013, 01:14:29 AM »

What about the sound of the concert, was it as sterile as a few has commented on? Was the audience very low in the mix, like barely audible?

I'd say that it was a bit sterile, but nothing too bad.  The audience was pretty low in the mix but can't say that it was "barely audible". Soundwise There wasn't really any problems IMO, except for the breathing sounds in the beginning of TSCO.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2013, 04:42:43 AM »
The audience is the biggest bizarro moment of the full thing. They're like... inaudible, even when they're chanting. And overall, they don't appear to be the stereotypical South American crowd, but more like the stereotypical DT crowd of terra cotta soldiers.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2013, 06:12:49 AM »
The audience is the biggest bizarro moment of the full thing. They're like... inaudible, even when they're chanting. And overall, they don't appear to be the stereotypical South American crowd, but more like the stereotypical DT crowd of terra cotta soldiers.

Yeah. Also after watching a lot of it last night, JR and JM really got bent over in the mix - I mean REALLY bent over, as in their faces are looking backwards between their ankles.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2013, 06:18:01 AM »

I'm almost certain that the latter is down to the show being all-seated.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2013, 06:36:50 AM »

Yeah. Also after watching a lot of it last night, JR and JM really got bent over in the mix - I mean REALLY bent over, as in their faces are looking backwards between their ankles.
Disagreed. Like I said earlier, I tried listening to the 5.1 and couldn't get a sound I liked, so I changed my system and speakers to stereo, and it sounded GREAT! John Myung and Jordan were very audible for the whole thing.

I highly recommend people try messing with their 5.1 systems. Otherwise, try stereo. It works very well.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2013, 06:59:33 AM »

Disagreed. Like I said earlier, I tried listening to the 5.1 and couldn't get a sound I liked, so I changed my system and speakers to stereo, and it sounded GREAT! John Myung and Jordan were very audible for the whole thing.

I highly recommend people try messing with their 5.1 systems. Otherwise, try stereo. It works very well.

I heard it on my 5.1 surround system and I thought it sounded great. The audience is not very audible for the most part, except when songs ended and there was a moment or two of cheering. Chanting was non existent. It was strange, I knew where they should be chanting, saw JLB trying to get them more animated, but all I saw was their arms raised and pumping along with him. Overall the audience was not what I would have expected from South America. I watch Iron Maiden En Vivo... Now that's some south american chanting and excitement.

Oh, and... after seeing it in context, the crying girl is really kinda moving to me. When I saw it my thought was that she'd lost someone really close to her, and TSCO reminded her of that person. At one point she looked like she was praying, having a religious experience. Like she'd found God in JP's playing. It was a rather touching and beautiful moment in the show. :tup
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Online Dream Team

« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2013, 11:18:18 AM »

I switched to stereo for the last 1 or 2 songs, and agree it sounded better. Still don't think the bass and keys were prominent enough but then again my system is nothing to write home about . . .

Offline Dacling

« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
I'm gonna ask this here. Am I blind or is there not a thread dedicated to discussing Luna Park in general?

Offline PMA

« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2019, 05:02:14 PM »
Reviving this thread to ask a question.  I have the Luna Park Blu Ray which is stellar but I also purchased it from the iTunes store at around the same time as when it first came out.  I decided to watch it again a few days ago and noticed that the digital version from iTunes has a audio/video sync issue.  The video lags the actual music by a half second or so (no way to actually time this).  Has anyone else noticed this?