Author Topic: Dream Theater is building their own studio?  (Read 5702 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater is building their own studio?
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2019, 12:10:51 PM »
Lots of bands have their own studio and from the couple I know of, it hasn't lead to them releasing more music so I wouldn't get hyped on that.  It's probably something that just makes sense for money and convenience.  I'd certainly be happy if they did make use of it and released more music either via DT or their own bands, but I'm not going to get worked up thinking this will happen.

Why should DT even release more music than they do currently? Their rate is mind-boggling.

My comment has nothing to do with what they should or shouldn't do, just simply I wouldn't expect their own studio to mean they would make more music or music faster as some people had thought as a possibility.  They do release music very consistently, that's true.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »
The fact that they built their own studio really means nothing to me. If they're happy, that's cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2019, 12:49:59 PM »
The fact that they built their own studio really means nothing to me. If they're happy, that's cool.

Why does it not excite you?

And she listens openly

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2019, 08:41:06 PM »
I hope it turns out the way they want it. Honestly after all I heard about how much I heard about the fun and productivity they had at that place where they recorded D/T, I expected them to buy it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2019, 10:20:19 AM »

???  Why would it? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2019, 10:38:59 AM »
I'm just kinda amazed they're building it now. In just 10 years Jordan will be 72. I don't want to be Debbie Downer but I would be amazed if JR is still playing in the band in 10 years.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2019, 11:15:25 AM »
Studio...AND barbecue restaurant....

Now THAT might excite me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2019, 11:29:59 AM »
I'm just kinda amazed they're building it now. In just 10 years Jordan will be 72. I don't want to be Debbie Downer but I would be amazed if JR is still playing in the band in 10 years.

A studio is for life... you rent it, you have a place you already own to be a producer when the touring days will be over... yes, they should have built it sooner but it's not a bad investement, once they recover the costs of building it it's nothing but money saved (not renting another studio anymore) or gained (renting it).

At least I guess, it's not that it's my field of expertise...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2019, 11:50:55 AM »

A studio is for life... you rent it, you have a place you already own to be a producer when the touring days will be over... yes, they should have built it sooner but it's not a bad investement, once they recover the costs of building it it's nothing but money saved (not renting another studio anymore) or gained (renting it).

At least I guess, it's not that it's my field of expertise...

It's definitely not a bad investment. Just found it curious since I really don't know what else bands do with their own private studios beyond recording their own music. It's still really cool, for sure.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2019, 03:53:11 PM »

???  Why would it?

Because I think Dream Theater having some sort of office I mean a headquarters like that studio will be cool like maybe one day as a fan its something you can visit.

Just sounds so bad ass..

Dream Theater Headquarters.

Batman has a cave. The ghostbusters has Firehouse

Dream Theater must have a  theater.

Am I doing it right?
And she listens openly

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2019, 03:55:20 PM »

???  Why would it?

Because I think Dream Theater having some sort of office I mean a headquarters like that studio will be cool like maybe one day as a fan its something you can visit.

Just sounds so bad ass..

Am I doing it right?

Lolz they won't be giving tours my dude.  :lol
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline pg1067

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2019, 04:22:17 PM »

???  Why would it?

Just sounds so bad ass..

Am I doing it right?

Any chance you're a fan of the band Triumph?  They had their own studio (although it was actually owned by only one of the three band members):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalworks_Studios

If you want to book studio time, you probably can visit, but it's not like they're going to let folks just walk in and listen while recording is in progress.  A lot of folks here knew where the recording of DOT was happening, but I don't think anyone went to visit.  But hey, if it excites you that DT is building a studio, knock yourself out.   ;D
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2019, 07:11:23 PM »

???  Why would it?

Just sounds so bad ass..

Am I doing it right?

Any chance you're a fan of the band Triumph?  They had their own studio (although it was actually owned by only one of the three band members):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalworks_Studios

If you want to book studio time, you probably can visit, but it's not like they're going to let folks just walk in and listen while recording is in progress.  A lot of folks here knew where the recording of DOT was happening, but I don't think anyone went to visit.  But hey, if it excites you that DT is building a studio, knock yourself out.   ;D

Ah they won't allow fans to walk in?

Now how am I gonna steal some of JPs booze!
And she listens openly