Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 188777 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1575 on: May 03, 2019, 01:44:39 PM »
Untethered Angel has grown on me a ton. Enjoyed it at first. Love it now. It is a riff goldmine.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1576 on: May 07, 2019, 04:02:10 AM »
It happened again: I look up casually at work and I see the number of calls received this day so far. 137. It's the second time it happens already  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1577 on: May 07, 2019, 12:36:56 PM »
It happened again: I look up casually at work and I see the number of calls received this day so far. 137. It's the second time it happens already  :lol

OMG nuggetz! :rollin
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1578 on: May 07, 2019, 10:13:21 PM »
Speaking of nuggets:

Today, I was finally able to get Distance Over Time on CD - the digipack edition. Looking at the artwork for "Untethered Angel", I noticed that the picture hanging on the wall (next to the window in the room) is exactly the same as the "The Answer Lies Within" artwork in the Octavarium booklet.

Sorry if it's already been pointed out - I was curious about it, and wondering whether there's any meaning behind Syme re-using that image. Maybe something to do with the lyrics of both songs?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1579 on: May 08, 2019, 12:38:12 AM »
Speaking of nuggets:

Today, I was finally able to get Distance Over Time on CD - the digipack edition. Looking at the artwork for "Untethered Angel", I noticed that the picture hanging on the wall (next to the window in the room) is exactly the same as the "The Answer Lies Within" artwork in the Octavarium booklet.

Sorry if it's already been pointed out - I was curious about it, and wondering whether there's any meaning behind Syme re-using that image. Maybe something to do with the lyrics of both songs?

Given Syme's prior work, he probably didn't care to find a new image  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1580 on: May 08, 2019, 09:07:53 AM »
Hard to say whether it is a cool nugget or just laziness he didn't think anyone would spot.  :lol  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt unless we learn otherwise.  So...cool nugget!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1581 on: May 08, 2019, 06:57:42 PM »
Speaking of nuggets:

Nice!  I first looked at the artwork release with the single and I didn't see the picture.  You have to look at the full image from the album.  I like it!  cool nugget.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1582 on: May 08, 2019, 07:11:18 PM »
Speaking of nuggets:

Given how I put together the DoT cover with a simple Google search of "robot hand holding skull", I'll chalk it up to Syme's habitual laziness.:lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1583 on: May 08, 2019, 08:21:23 PM »
Speaking of nuggets:

Given Syme's prior work, he probably didn't care to find a new image  :lol

Whenever I see Syme's work I get a mental image that he random clicks on photos on a folder labeled "Cover Art lolz" on his desktop and then pastes parts of them together.

« Reply #1584 on: May 08, 2019, 09:22:50 PM »
I just checked, and the lyrics to both songs feature the word "within" and the phrase "don't be afraid". Maybe he (Syme) thought the songs were somewhat connected.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:28:39 PM by Sebastián Pratesi »

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #1585 on: May 18, 2019, 11:25:31 PM »
I noticed the dominoes from the Octavarium booklet instantly, and I thought they were there as an easter egg, maybe also because both songs have similar lyrical themes.

Now, about D/T, I feel weird about it. Once the brand new feeling ran away, I have barely listened to it, except once I changed the songs order for something that made more sense (to me). The tracks I listen the most are At Wit's End (love how Proggy it is) and Out Of Reach, the others, pretty much never.
It's a good album for an easy listening, to jam to, if that makes sense. But other than, I don't think I'll find a reason to came back to it continuously, like I do with ADTOE, TA, I&W or Awake, even DT12 and WDADU.

Also, I feel it's some kind of "this is who we are" album, or what DT12 tried to be, and for that reason, there's not a "I love THIS about this album" sensation, like, let's say, the ambience of Awake, the happy vibe of I&W, the funkiness of FII, or even the heaviness of TOT.

I guess I can summarize it as: I'm happy it exists, but I could live without it.
I wonder if someone else feels the same.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1586 on: May 18, 2019, 11:40:12 PM »
There's also the (probably) co-incidence of both These Walls and Untethered Angel "falling into darkness".  :justjen
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1587 on: May 20, 2019, 08:04:11 PM »
There's also the (probably) co-incidence of both These Walls and Untethered Angel "falling into darkness".  :justjen

A better DTF historian than me might know the specific post, but long ago someone posted a word map of DT lyrics, and light and dark were among the most prominent.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1588 on: May 20, 2019, 08:51:15 PM »
It's a good album for an easy listening, to jam to, if that makes sense. But other than, I don't think I'll find a reason to came back to it continuously, like I do with ADTOE, TA, I&W or Awake, even DT12 and WDADU.

Also, I feel it's some kind of "this is who we are" album.....

I guess I can summarize it as: I'm happy it exists, but I could live without it.

I don't feel the same about everything in this post, but I wanted to touch on it. If it is a statement of "this is who we are, and this is the album we wanted to make, and we loved making it and we feel stronger than ever" than I am exceedingly happy with it, even if I don't love it myself. I equate it with DT12. I enjoy all the songs to varying degrees, but at the same time, none of them resonate with me 10 seconds after the fade out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1589 on: May 21, 2019, 11:19:16 AM »
Also, I feel it's some kind of "this is who we are" album, or what DT12 tried to be, and for that reason, there's not a "I love THIS about this album" sensation, like, let's say, the ambience of Awake, the happy vibe of I&W, the funkiness of FII, or even the heaviness of TOT.

I don't feel the same way at all.  I think DoT is a "return to form" album following a "this is who we aren't" album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

« Reply #1590 on: May 22, 2019, 12:35:48 AM »
A better DTF historian than me might know the specific post, but long ago someone posted a word map of DT lyrics, and light and dark were among the most prominent.
Last October, the great noxon posted this one here, and on DTW's Facebook page:

Maybe that's the one you're thinking of.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: May 23, 2019, 02:53:26 AM »

I don't feel the same way at all.  I think DoT is a "return to form" album following a "this is who we aren't" album.

I'm feeling more like a "this is who the fans want us to be" after a "this is what we want to do no matter what the fans want".....

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #1592 on: May 23, 2019, 07:35:30 AM »
"Also, I feel it's some kind of "this is who we are" album, or what DT12 tried to be"
Personally I had this notion from the very first songs that the band released.
Particularly this album is a mix of what DT12 would like for them to be, in terms of success and what the fans really where expecting.
DoT is both a new exploration for Dream Theater's musical territory and an answer to the call of fans that wanted something heavier and more raw.
Everyone has their own tastes and personalities that they will judge if they like the songs or maybe if the album is already considered a classic.
I'll be honest this album and TA just can't stick with me..DoT has the production qualities that I wished DT12 had, and the songs seem more focused but they lack personality and the artistic vision of what this album is about..

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1593 on: May 23, 2019, 02:07:09 PM »

That's pretty harsh.  If anything, The Astonishing *is* who they are, since it showcases every aspect of their abilities and doesn't lean obviously into one style... other than prog-style.

I'm feeling more like a "this is who the fans want us to be" after a "this is what we want to do no matter what the fans want".....

I'm a fan and The Astonishing is exactly what I wanted.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1594 on: May 23, 2019, 10:13:44 PM »

The Astonishing is my favorite but a lot of fans were really vocal about it and to the band it must have seemed that the fans did not like it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: May 23, 2019, 11:08:48 PM »

I can't imagine myself thinking "I want DT to release an album like TA..." but at that point in their career I am glad they did.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1596 on: May 24, 2019, 08:56:34 AM »
I think I've said this before, but I really respect DT for taking a big chance with The Astonishing, despite the album missing the mark on every level for me!

D/T is better on every level. Everything from songwriting to production. First DT album in years with any real staying power for me.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1597 on: May 25, 2019, 04:56:16 AM »
This could be a possible nugget.  The front of the cd cover (with bonus track version) is glossy and the back side is matte, just like the JP Majesty Monarchy 2017/2018 guitar. The front of the guitar being glossy, while the back of the neck is flat/matte finish.  Hmm, I dunno.    :justjen
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1598 on: May 25, 2019, 05:50:25 AM »

This whole idea of "fan service" is a strange one. Before The Astonishing, there were some fans crying out for another concept album a la SFAM. We got The Astonishing. Those fans got their concept album. A concept album that went far far deeper than SFAM in terms of fleshing out the characters and giving them lives, a place to live, etc. And yet it seems many were still unhappy. You can't please everyone.

D/T is aging very well for me. I love The Astonishing and will defend its merits and worth against all opposers until the day I shuffle off this mortal coil, but D/T 100% tops it. My only minor complaint about D/T is the way At Wit's End ends, with the fadeout and "easter egg". We got a bit less of a song than the initial pre-release time suggested. That's all.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1599 on: May 25, 2019, 05:59:42 AM »

That one line in Surrounded accounted for a solid 12% of all uses.

*some numbers made up

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1600 on: June 04, 2019, 10:57:38 AM »
DT and Distance Over Time have been nominated for best album cover, best international band and album of the year for Prog Magazine's Progressive music awards. You can vote here: https://www.loudersound.com/features/vote-now-in-the-2019-progressive-music-awards
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gborland

« Reply #1601 on: June 05, 2019, 02:51:55 AM »
Here is a spooky coincidence. I asked my two kids to choose a random number between 136 and 138 and they both chose 137! WTF?
Graham Borland

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1602 on: June 05, 2019, 12:13:48 PM »
Here is a spooky coincidence. I asked my two kids to choose a random number between 136 and 138 and they both chose 137! WTF?
Whoa Graham - that's deep!

:rollin
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1603 on: June 05, 2019, 01:02:43 PM »

That's always the struggle for any successful act. The guys in DT aren't stupid. They know, instinctively, what everyone wants from them. But if they only did that, they'd be bored out of their minds. But venturing into new territory comes with a risk, and I think The Astonishing showed that. A ton of push back.

I view Distance Over Time very much the way I view Fates Warning's Theories of Flight. The records are both the sum of three decades-plus of experience and creativity, plus some new nuances, put through a blender of their biggest commercial successes. The result is something new, inspiring, but distinctly familiar at the same time, and really resets the template of what each of the bands is.

Extremely well-executed records that have a beautiful balance of stylistic hallmarks from across the years, and some new flavors. I do expect the next albums from both those bands to follow a similar trend, but perhaps expand a bit more, depending on the interests of the band members.

At any rate, I think Distance Over Time is a brilliant album, and the absolute right move after The Astonishing.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1604 on: June 05, 2019, 01:39:08 PM »
Out of reach came on today when I was playing songs from my phone on shuffle. It's such a beautiful song, it grew to be one of my favorites on the album.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1605 on: June 05, 2019, 03:35:27 PM »
Out Of Reach has also grown into one of my favourites overv time.

Still loving the album as a whole.

Room 137 is another that grew and grew. The section after the lead from just before the 3 minute mark to just before 3.30 is cracking.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1606 on: June 05, 2019, 04:30:36 PM »

That's pretty harsh.  If anything, The Astonishing *is* who they are, since it showcases every aspect of their abilities and doesn't lean obviously into one style... other than prog-style.

I don't think it's harsh at all.  Of course it sounds like DT, but it sounds like DT trying to be like Pink Floyd or Rush.  That's not who they are.  Different styles is one thing.  Going down a different path altogether with concept and format is something else.  They basically drifted away from what they're well known for, progressive metal.

That's not really the point.  It's what they wanted to do regardless if the fans wanted it or not.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1607 on: June 09, 2019, 09:45:11 AM »
I don't think TA sounds anything like PF or Rush.   To me it sounded more like them being a kind of TSO/Les Miserables hybrid.   I actually think I'm going to like the album a lot more as time goes on, it's just a lot to digest.     I still think some songs don't sound finished, but I really dig the concept.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1608 on: June 09, 2019, 03:33:18 PM »
I don't think TA sounds anything like PF or Rush.   To me it sounded more like them being a kind of TSO/Les Miserables hybrid.   I actually think I'm going to like the album a lot more as time goes on, it's just a lot to digest.     I still think some songs don't sound finished, but I really dig the concept.

Interesting point.

I agree about the concept, I just really wish the lyrics were up to it.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1609 on: June 10, 2019, 12:53:40 PM »

That's always the struggle for any successful act. The guys in DT aren't stupid. They know, instinctively, what everyone wants from them. But if they only did that, they'd be bored out of their minds. But venturing into new territory comes with a risk, and I think The Astonishing showed that. A ton of push back.

I view Distance Over Time very much the way I view Fates Warning's Theories of Flight. The records are both the sum of three decades-plus of experience and creativity, plus some new nuances, put through a blender of their biggest commercial successes. The result is something new, inspiring, but distinctly familiar at the same time, and really resets the template of what each of the bands is.

Extremely well-executed records that have a beautiful balance of stylistic hallmarks from across the years, and some new flavors. I do expect the next albums from both those bands to follow a similar trend, but perhaps expand a bit more, depending on the interests of the band members.

At any rate, I think Distance Over Time is a brilliant album, and the absolute right move after The Astonishing.

All of this. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.