Author Topic: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"  (Read 46929 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Distance over Time - New Single "Untethered Angel"
« Reply #210 on: December 07, 2018, 07:33:16 AM »
Is it just me or do the mixes sound different between the single and the video? It could be YT doing what it does, but I almost think the video has a better sound...

I don't know, I need to listen when I'm at home on proper speakers.

That was exactly my reaction too. I felt keys and vocals were clearly audible in the video, whereas in the only-audio track they weren't.

Yea just watched the video which was my 3rd listen of the song and enjoyed that a bit more, also really love the video.  Feel like it's made for youtube plus the shots of the food during JP's solo  :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #211 on: December 07, 2018, 07:33:56 AM »
if there is such a thing as "Dream Theater paint by numbers" this song is it.

6/10.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2018, 07:35:07 AM »
Count me in as not liking the mix.
Haken's latest album, Vector, has some of the best Metal production I've ever heard(Thanks to Adam "Nolly" Getgood) and yet they probably had half the budget that DT did for this album. When a bigger band like DT releases something poorly mixed like this, it really stands out and not in a good way.
Whenever DT15 starts production, I sincerely hope they get an outside producer. It's time.

Offline hotkey

« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2018, 07:35:57 AM »
Dat organ solo at 4:16, even better when you see Jordan playing it  :metal https://youtu.be/gylxuO6dKOw?t=255

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2018, 07:40:00 AM »
To be fair I've only had one listen but this was extremely meh for me. Sounds like a reworked version on On the Back of Angels. Nothing new sounding from the last few records. I'm going to wait for the album to listen more but not a great start.

Offline adamack

« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2018, 07:41:47 AM »
This is actually my fav DT single since OTBoA (which I still absolutely love). I guess that’s not saying much, but it’s a good sign for me. As we know, their singles are usually some of  the weaker songs on each album. It that holds true, then this album could be awesome.

Also, a lot of their singles grow on me in the context of the album. When I first heard Moment of Betrayal, I really wasn’t crazy about it at all. But it became a top 3 song on TA after hearing the whole thing. This same thing happened with TEI, and I don’t even think I loved OTBoA on the first few listens.

Edit to add some notes:

- As people have mentioned, this would fit very well on ADtoE. Which I’m digging, as that is my fav MM era album
- Is the album’s mixing process still happening? If so, could this not be the final version of the song? I’m assuming it will be, as DT doesn’t really seem to go back and alter things. IE: the weird auto tune glitch in The Gift of Music that made the final cut
- At 40 seconds...this part sounds massive! That low synth layer Jordan adds is amazing
- Not a fan of the vocal fx for James. It would be nice to hear a more up-front, natural sound. But it’s not a deal breaker
- Love the second verse
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:01:33 AM by adamack »

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2018, 07:44:36 AM »
This song feels very... safe. It's a cool tune, with a few moments that I enjoy, but it's not grabbing me overall. Dare I say it, I think The Gift of Music was a bit more compelling of a single.

Not saying I dislike it, but I'm not finding myself wanting to play it on repeat like I have before. Perhaps it is the mix, which in all fairness is better than it has been, but it's still lackluster.

I also noticed the pre-order is available now:
Distance Over Time” is available as Standard CD Jewel Case, Special Edition Digipak (incl. 1 bonus track), 180g Gaefold 2LP Edition (incl. 1 bonus track, an 8-page-LP-booklet & the entire album on CD), Ltd. Edition Artbook (incl. 1 bonus track, 5.1 mix with video animations, instrumental mixes, high res files of the album, stems for “Untethered Angel”, extended liner notes, additional artwork incl. photos from the writing session and additional video content), as Deluxe Collector’s Box Set (incl. lenticular cover card, Artbook, 180g 2 LP Gatefold Edition with exclusive artwork and an exclusive LP colour, exclusive picture 7”, 60 x 60 cm poster, 10 art cards, slipmat, patch, pin and a hand-numbered certificate of authenticity)and as Digital Album (incl. 1 bonus track).
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2018, 07:49:15 AM »
Official video  :metal
https://youtu.be/gylxuO6dKOw

Somehow, this sounded MUCH better to my ears. Still just a fairly good song, nothing revolutionary, but still likeable.

Also, as a drummer, it annoys me that Mangini now moved his hihats to the upper half of his kit. WHY?! Just to show off his muscles some more on stage?! LOL It seems very awkward and not ergonomically efficient.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2018, 07:51:54 AM »
I just listened to it.  I liked it enough -- not their best song -- but a good safe single release. 

I'm going to hold off listening again until the album comes out. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2018, 07:54:47 AM »
Very reminiscent of OtBOA's for me.  Sounds good!  Really like the instrumental sections.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2018, 07:57:57 AM »
Official video  :metal
https://youtu.be/gylxuO6dKOw

Somehow, this sounded MUCH better to my ears. Still just a fairly good song, nothing revolutionary, but still likeable.

Also, as a drummer, it annoys me that Mangini now moved his hihats to the upper half of his kit. WHY?! Just to show off his muscles some more on stage?! LOL It seems very awkward and not ergonomically efficient.

-Marc.

Same here...for some reason, I warmed up to the song more after seeing the video. And Petrucci's face at 3:22 is AWESOME!!!!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2018, 08:03:33 AM »
WAIT WAIT WAIT

Why does the Youtube video sound ao much better than the Spotify audio? Is it because I am not using Spotify premium, which is why the stream is only 160, not 320?

My takeaway feom the video? These guys are really just having fun right now.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2018, 08:05:18 AM »
I also noticed the pre-order is available now:
Distance Over Time” is available as Standard CD Jewel Case, Special Edition Digipak (incl. 1 bonus track), 180g Gaefold 2LP Edition (incl. 1 bonus track, an 8-page-LP-booklet & the entire album on CD), Ltd. Edition Artbook (incl. 1 bonus track, 5.1 mix with video animations, instrumental mixes, high res files of the album, stems for “Untethered Angel”, extended liner notes, additional artwork incl. photos from the writing session and additional video content), as Deluxe Collector’s Box Set (incl. lenticular cover card, Artbook, 180g 2 LP Gatefold Edition with exclusive artwork and an exclusive LP colour, exclusive picture 7”, 60 x 60 cm poster, 10 art cards, slipmat, patch, pin and a hand-numbered certificate of authenticity)and as Digital Album (incl. 1 bonus track).

I wonder what those art cards would be. For that price, it would be cool if they were artistic renditions of the lyrics, like if they were pages of an old book or something, each one with their own background artwork.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #223 on: December 07, 2018, 08:11:45 AM »
WAIT WAIT WAIT

Why does the Youtube video sound so much better than the Spotify audio? Is it because I am not using Spotify premium, which is why the stream is only 160, not 320?

My takeaway from the video? These guys are really just having fun right now.

Yeah, that's it. Spotify's audio sucks really bad if you're using a free account, sometimes it oscillates so much that it almost sounds like there's a flanger effect on it.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #224 on: December 07, 2018, 08:24:45 AM »
The song was exactly what I was hoping for. Can't wait. Now I shall not listen to it again till Feb 22.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #225 on: December 07, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »
I'm still unsure about the drum sound.
Lacks the necessary dynamics imo.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #226 on: December 07, 2018, 08:33:33 AM »
Count me in as not liking the mix.
Haken's latest album, Vector, has some of the best Metal production I've ever heard(Thanks to Adam "Nolly" Getgood) and yet they probably had half the budget that DT did for this album. When a bigger band like DT releases something poorly mixed like this, it really stands out and not in a good way.
Whenever DT15 starts production, I sincerely hope they get an outside producer. It's time.

Thank you, Sir! Exactly what I think. I can't help but think that DT did a MIDI cover of itself.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #227 on: December 07, 2018, 08:36:29 AM »
WAIT WAIT WAIT

Why does the Youtube video sound ao much better than the Spotify audio? Is it because I am not using Spotify premium, which is why the stream is only 160, not 320?

I guess no. I use premium it sounds really bad. Especially vocals so layered and unnatural. But I have to agree that YT sounds better vocally.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #228 on: December 07, 2018, 08:39:44 AM »
WAIT WAIT WAIT

I guess no. I use premium it sounds really bad. Especially vocals so layered and unnatural. But I have to agree that YT sounds better vocally.

I use premium too, not the best mix.
Audio Engineering 101: Always test your mix through different outputs.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #229 on: December 07, 2018, 08:43:37 AM »
I'll weigh in:

I love it!

-Easily my favorite single in years (Rite of Passage, OTBOA, The Enemy Inside, and TGOM) all failed to really capture my attention. But THIS...this is something else.

-I love the vocals (but I'm all about the Queen-ified production on vocals)

-I love the mix.

-Mangini's drums sound great. His best snare sound on a DT record.

-The art is cool. (I really, really, really don't understand why anyone cares where the images came from. There's a million ways to do an album cover, DT tends to go with the 'collage' method, which I dig.)

The single totally did it's job in that I can't wait for the record!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #230 on: December 07, 2018, 08:45:16 AM »

Why would you expect much dynamics in the drums in a song that's heavy from start to finish? I don't get it.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #231 on: December 07, 2018, 08:51:48 AM »

Why would you expect much dynamics in the drums in a song that's heavy from start to finish? I don't get it.

So it doesn't sound super mechanical?

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: December 07, 2018, 08:57:23 AM »
I dig it! I’ll give it some more listens to let it sink in. :)

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: December 07, 2018, 08:58:14 AM »

Haha! You beat me to it on the avatar.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2018, 09:01:21 AM »
After a few listens....It's a solid song....love the video and watching them play ...also, the random shots of them cooking food thrown in is pretty funny :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2018, 09:01:34 AM »
I like it! The vocals do feel a bit low, but I had the same feeling with The Enemy Inside at first and now I think it's fine. Also did Jordan used a different lead patch than usual? I feel that his solo sounded really good.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2018, 09:01:40 AM »

I think what you’re hearing is the YouTube compressed meh mix. I think everything will breathe more on the final cut. I think his toms sound fucking great and the snare/snares sound fine, especially at the 4:27 mark. Just my thoughts.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #237 on: December 07, 2018, 09:03:29 AM »

The drumming in this song sounds mechanical?

Give me an example of a song with this feel with more dynamic drums.

For those wondering about the non-ergonomic positioning of Mangini's cymbals, he's really just reverting to how he did it decades back. I think he really hust felt comfortable with that setup.

https://youtu.be/k3-g0BKtPeE

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #238 on: December 07, 2018, 09:04:31 AM »

Tbh this sound drum production better than most modern metal bands that overdub their drummers with programmed drums like 50/50, and that's coming from someone who can't stand drums on DT12 and TA.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #239 on: December 07, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
I like it! The vocals do feel a bit low, but I had the same feeling with The Enemy Inside at first and now I think it's fine. Also did Jordan used a different lead patch than usual? I feel that his solo sounded really good.

I think he played both his solos on a Hammond Organ.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #240 on: December 07, 2018, 09:08:03 AM »
I have listened a few times.  My initial reaction was that it simultaneously sounded very busy, but very simple at the same time, if that makes sense.  I definitely like the song.  But I feel like it's too early to form any very strong opinions.  I had seen some of the comments making comparisons to Outcry, which intrigued me.  When I heard the riff on the first verse (starting at about :50), it was pretty clear why people were comparing it to that song.  The similarities are striking.  Then when the keyboard solo kicked in at about 3:25, I said to myself, "Okay, this song is like Outcry's little brother!"  :lol  Definitely some strong musical connections there.  A few other things that jumped out at me:

-The chorus felt (and feels) a bit out of place.  The rest of the song mostly has a very dark vibe, but in the chorus, it takes on a very, almost-happy, major chord feel.  And that's fine.  But I kind of felt like, for it to really work and be a moment, it had to have a bit more power and "oomph!" that it was lacking.  Part of that is the way James performed it.  Not that he's doing anything "wrong" or singing "badly."  No, his singing is fine.  But it sounds like he is singing completely head voice without belting it, and even if he isn't, Jordan's "light, airy" keyboard patch during that part and him directly harmonizing with the vocals I think unintentionally takes away some of the power that part could otherwise have.  Maybe after the song gets more time to sit with me, I won't feel that way.  That's really the only minor "gripe" (if you want to call it that) that I have with the song.

-The song manages to sound complex and simple at the same time.  Which is a really interesting accomplishment.  It kind of feels a bit on the short side, but I think I was predisposed to feel that way given my premature feelings about the song lengths of the album as a whole.

-Some of the riffage is HUGE.  Some of the standouts are that riff after the keyboard solo that follows the first chorus.  LOVE that riff!  The one at 3:14 is tasty as well.  And then the one at the end that we heard in the teaser clip, which shows up at about 5:17...that one has been stuck in my head. 

-Along kind of similar lines as my previous point, there are some cool moments throughout the song where DT uses one of their signature elements:  Taking a musical idea and using "orchestration" techniques to open it up when it is revisited later in the song, and putting slight variations on it to make it bigger, more complex, and "hookier."  For example, they do this with the opening riff after the acoustic intro.  That part, to me, sounded a bit overly simplistic at the beginning of the song.  But when it shows up later in the song, it is opened more more, more varied, and just sounds both meatier and more groovy.  I love that they do that.  And the fact that it is executed so frequently and so well in such a short song is a pretty cool feat.

-The video itself is really cool.  I like the splits creen effect.  I like the interjection of shots of them just having, goofing off, and...prepping FOOD!  I like that everyone is so casual.  You don't see the band in full wardrobe with perfectly groomed hair.  Nope.  T-shirts, hair pulled back, just being in the studio and letting it rip.  It has a very..."comfortable" vibe to it.  Yeah, it may not really tell a story that fits the vibe of the song.  But all the fans know the band has been locked away in the studio just enjoying their time writing music, and this video felt like a nice payoff to the fans that have been following in anticipation of the new music.  I like that a lot.  :tup
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:15:17 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #241 on: December 07, 2018, 09:17:46 AM »

The drumming in this song sounds mechanical?

Give me an example of a song with this feel with more dynamic drums.

For those wondering about the non-ergonomic positioning of Mangini's cymbals, he's really just reverting to how he did it decades back. I think he really hust felt comfortable with that setup.

https://youtu.be/k3-g0BKtPeE

Nice pull Erwin, been awhile, but I think it has to do with the “show” aspect too, I mean, Steve Vai defines showmanship. With MM, you can pretty much put the drums on the ceiling or walls and he’ll find a way. Love the drum sound on this new song.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #242 on: December 07, 2018, 09:18:30 AM »
I listened to it half a dozen times or so before I went to sleep last night (the official YouTube video on cheap earbuds).  I listened to it another few times this morning (same YouTube video through my car stereo).  I did not read through the 4 pages of comments posted in the 15+ hours since I last was on here yesterday.

My first reaction was that the intro was reminiscent of OTBOA, but that changed pretty quickly.

My biggest overall reaction is that it seems shorter than it is.  That's a good thing.  I'd rather have a 6 minute song that feels 4 minutes than the other way around.  I want more of it *kinda like with anything on side 1 of Moving Pictures).

The sounds seem all good.  I'm not a huge fan of the riffage that sits (almost) exclusively on the 7th string of the guitar, but I recognize that's pretty much JP's thing and has been for probably the last decade or more.  I've never had any problem with MM's drums and still don't.  The key sounds were pretty standard JR stuff.  The bass peaked through occasionally (never enough for me).  Didn't really care for the processed sound of the vocals in the verses.  It was better in the choruses.

I particularly liked the unison section before the last chorus.  Lots of breathing room, and there were a few other places in the song where there was room.  Good thing.

Compositionally, the song reminded me of a bunch of post-8VA material.  Nothing terribly new or adventurous here, but there's nothing wrong with a solid song that sticks to the band's trademark sound.

All in all, a very good song that leaves me looking forward to the rest of the album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #243 on: December 07, 2018, 09:21:23 AM »
I haven't been around for a long time, but naturally, a new single from the upcoming album will always bring me back.

I love it so far. I've listened to it maybe 7 times now, and not back to back, so I'm letting it sink in, and yeah, aside from LaBrie being a bit low in the mix, I really have no complaints about it at all. I love the energy, I love the melody, the solo section.
I really like the lyrics. They seem like they're about mental health issues of some sort, JP really likes his "inner turbulence" subject matter. But at the same time, I feel like they're ambiguous enough that you could interpret it in a more imaginative way if you wanted.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline DT89

« Reply #244 on: December 07, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »
I transcribed all of the guitar parts:

https://youtu.be/JOHqUEu2dT0