Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 254841 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #3010 on: February 20, 2019, 12:15:24 AM »
Not to make this about the tour but it's anyone else hoping for Octavarium as the encore?
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline erciccio

« Reply #3011 on: February 20, 2019, 12:52:39 AM »
Not to make this about the tour but it's anyone else hoping for Octavarium as the encore?

Maybe for a Radio edit :)
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di piů

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #3012 on: February 20, 2019, 01:09:57 AM »

They did A Change Of Seasons for the encore during the Images, Words, & Beyond tour. I don't think Octavarium is a ridiculous hope.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #3013 on: February 20, 2019, 02:26:40 AM »
I consider The Best Of Times and The Count Of Tuscany both Top 15 DT songs.

To each his own, but I don't like them. Granted, there are things that are outstanding inside each song, but as a whole, they're not for me. And the choruses of both are not good, like, at all.

B.Lee

Note : excited as hell for the new album! I haven't listened to any of the singles released and you guys have my mouth water in expectation with your descriptions. Damn, 4 days to go still!

Just a few days left. I was thinking of popping in the instrumental disc for my first listen, but I'm not married to that idea.

Only 2 days left!  :metal
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:27:08 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline erciccio

« Reply #3014 on: February 20, 2019, 02:31:46 AM »

To each his own, but I don't like them. Granted, there are things that are outstanding inside each song, but as a whole, they're not for me. And the choruses of both are not good, like, at all.

B.Lee

Note : excited as hell for the new album! I haven't listened to any of the singles released and you guys have my mouth water in expectation with your descriptions. Damn, 4 days to go still!

Just a few days left. I was thinking of popping in the instrumental disc for my first listen, but I'm not married to that idea.

Only  :metal2 days left!

Yeahh!!

So far I've only listened to UA and FITL, but I've read all the reviews based on the ehm...leaks.... :\
And the good and incredible news is that NOBODY is complaining!

Everybody seems to love this album, at different levels...

I'm really glad to read this :)

Looking forward to Friday!
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di piů

Offline Red_Queen

« Reply #3015 on: February 20, 2019, 04:28:04 AM »

B.Lee

Only  :metal2 days left!

Yeahh!!

So far I've only listened to UA and FITL, but I've read all the reviews based on the ehm...leaks.... :\
And the good and incredible news is that NOBODY is complaining!

Everybody seems to love this album, at different levels...

I'm really glad to read this :)

Looking forward to Friday!
Well,I heard D/T just once and it completely blew my mind on absolutely different level. So I decided to not listen anything until 22nd to feel that kick in my stomach once again because its really something guys.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3016 on: February 20, 2019, 05:39:10 AM »
Omfg Dream Theater announced a show in Dresden, my hometown, in the beautiful Junge Garde, an open air theater! After the usual Eventim problems and frustration, I got first row tickets today! Not exactly in the middle, but only a little on the left.
And the coolest thing is. I have my final exam of the semester that day, in Austria where I study. So I hopefully rock that exam, jump into my car (obviously having my DT playlist for the drive already prepared, duh), race home to Dresden and see my all-time favorite band in my all-time favorite city. It's going to be such a kick ass day.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline genome

« Reply #3017 on: February 20, 2019, 05:41:18 AM »

They did A Change Of Seasons for the encore during the Images, Words, & Beyond tour. I don't think Octavarium is a ridiculous hope.

Well, Scenes is 20 minutes longer than I&W. I get the feeling Finally Free will be the encore, or one of the new tracks, like At Wit's End or another shorter epic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3018 on: February 20, 2019, 06:07:32 AM »
In a recent interview James and JP indicated that they might be considering alternating setlists for the first set of the upcoming U.S. tour.  Can anyone obtain more definitive information?  I'm seeing DT twice in the upcoming leg, but a rotating setlist might spur me to hit up three this tour.

That would surprise me, considering they are going to play all of Scenes (which I assume will always be the second set), and then you have to figure that some of the new songs will be every nighters in the first set. I could see one or two spots being rotated in the first set, and then who knows about the encore, but I doubt it will be anything too severe.
Yeah, but remember the A/B set lists they did for the ADTOE tour?  It's doable.  And they have shorter song lengths to play around with from this album, so that makes it a lot easier to rotate songs.

I do.  As already pointed out, SFAM is longer than I&W, and they will be playing a large chunk of the new album.  That doesn't leave a lot of space in the set. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3019 on: February 20, 2019, 06:59:50 AM »
Lots of promo copies received for reviews I see....

Promo copies were given out like sweets at Halloween, though. I think I'll claim to operate a legitimate music website in time for the next album cycle. The majority of 'professional' reviews I've seen for Distance Over Time are so amateur in tone and language, it's laughable.

Now, do I think everyone's got a promo copy? No. Of course not. But still.

Well, the "majority of 'professional' reviews" are, in fact, written by the people who are fans of the metal scene in general, like most of us here. People out there are doing it out of their love for this kind of music, not receiving any benefits—except the early access to the albums and a bit of exposure (which, as we all know, is apparently the new universal currency right now, except it doesn't pay any bills)—and a lot of them also have English as their second or even third language.

I'm not sure why I even decided to participate in a debate in DT part of the forums, that was a stupid decision.

Well I'm not that passionate about this topic but your reply prompts a reply  ;D
I think nobloodyname has a solid point. Not that I don't appreciate fans who write reviews, but there definitely has to be the ability and grip to do so, or else we can all just do as he said; start websites and get early promo copies. Having command of the language is definitely a must, even if English is your first language, it takes a considerable degree of writing talent to be able to critique and describe music that the reader hasn't heard.
And also, not to sound like a dick, but if you doubt your command of a 2nd or 3rd language then why even half-ass it, just write it in your own language.
It may be worth mentioning that this is probably the first album cycle as far as I remember that didn't have a separate thread for album spoilers in the weeks before release date and I think it's mainly due to the larger-than-usual flow of reviews. We normally had one or two reviews that we mirco-analyzed and like one guy who actually heard the album. I'm not saying that the increase in reviews is a bad thing, it just supports the nobloodyname's point.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dedalus

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3021 on: February 20, 2019, 07:14:43 AM »
Omfg Dream Theater announced a show in Dresden, my hometown, in the beautiful Junge Garde, an open air theater! After the usual Eventim problems and frustration, I got first row tickets today! Not exactly in the middle, but only a little on the left.
And the coolest thing is. I have my final exam of the semester that day, in Austria where I study. So I hopefully rock that exam, jump into my car (obviously having my DT playlist for the drive already prepared, duh), race home to Dresden and see my all-time favorite band in my all-time favorite city. It's going to be such a kick ass day.

Congrats and enjoy the show  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3022 on: February 20, 2019, 07:28:50 AM »

Visited Dresden back in 2005. The Frauenkirche had just been rebuilt, but it wasn't opened yet. Lovely, amazing town and seeing DT there in a scenic open air theatre must be awesome  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3023 on: February 20, 2019, 08:16:49 AM »

I am not. Although I have heard it live before so for those who haven't it would be a treat. I am guessing it would be The Glass Prison, ending with SFAM then low static, they leave the stage, static continues then THE GLASS PRISON!!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3024 on: February 20, 2019, 08:18:34 AM »
I don't let reviews sway me either way, but as someone who wants the band to do well, it is exciting to see so many positive reviews thus far. I have also warmed up on each of the three "singles", or whatever, since they came out, which is saying something because I liked them all immediately anyway. Can't wait for Friday!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline nightsky971

« Reply #3025 on: February 20, 2019, 08:49:27 AM »
I just contacted my seller and they are telling me that Sony has also changed the street date for the artbook edition to 3/15.  :-\

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3026 on: February 20, 2019, 09:06:48 AM »
Does the official website have a clearly defined breakdown of what's on each version of the album? Cause I've been looking and for a few days but can't find it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Red_Queen

« Reply #3027 on: February 20, 2019, 09:13:11 AM »

I am not. Although I have heard it live before so for those who haven't it would be a treat. I am guessing it would be The Glass Prison, ending with SFAM then low static, they leave the stage, static continues then THE GLASS PRISON!!
If this going to happen I need to take another pairs of pants with me  :eek

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3028 on: February 20, 2019, 09:16:24 AM »
Those of us who have the record, can we talk about our thoughts, or have we been asked to wait until Friday? I can't seem to find anything that says something one way or another. Thanks in advance.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline rab7

« Reply #3029 on: February 20, 2019, 09:19:02 AM »
Those of us who have the record, can we talk about our thoughts, or have we been asked to wait until Friday? I can't seem to find anything that says something one way or another. Thanks in advance.

Each of the three singles were "leaked" on the Thursday before release because of time zones.

Each time, we were asked to not talk about any of it.

So I'm guessing that we won't be allowed to say anything until Friday at the stroke of midnight New York time

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: February 20, 2019, 09:20:25 AM »

Everybody who has the record has been discussing it and none of the usual restrictions have been announced, I think you're good.

EDIT: Wait, that's if you're one of the promo copy guys, we can't discuss leaks  :justjen

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3031 on: February 20, 2019, 09:23:26 AM »
I received a shipping notification today from Burning Shed for both the deluxe box set thingy and the magenta vinyl so there doesn't appear to be an issue in the UK (at least so far as Burning Shed is concerned, anyway).
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3032 on: February 20, 2019, 09:25:21 AM »

Everybody who has the record has been discussing it and none of the usual restrictions have been announced, I think you're good.

EDIT: Wait, that's if you're one of the promo copy guys, we can't discuss leaks  :justjen

Yeah, several posts that I saw related to having listened to the leak were culled. I imagine a good few more have been besides the ones I noticed, too.

(Thanks for coming back on the point about reviews and promo copies, by the way... agree completely!)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)