Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 255080 times)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2625 on: February 08, 2019, 09:48:06 AM »
I listened to it only twice, but I think it was pretty good. Probably James best (or at least most interesting) performance out of the three singles in my opinion.

I can't wait to hear the full album now :)

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #2626 on: February 08, 2019, 09:59:59 AM »
I'm enjoying Paralyzed so far, getting a more straightforward metal kind of vibe from it.  :metal And I'm sure I'll manage to pick it apart after a while, and listen to each little detail they crammed into the song.

The funny thing is this, immediately after the first playthrough I thought back to SC, and the Behind The Scenes footage they released alongside the album. Jordan made a joke about the difficulty of not playing, reffering to the challenge of not playing as fast as he usually does but rather more slowly. Or something in that manner.  :lol

I'm sure someone else here remember what I'm talking about. 

That being said. I made the grave mistake of reading various Facebook comments from different pages where the song were being shared. And I can safely say one thing. Never Enough could very well be the unofficial anthem of the DT fanbase. Or at least for a certain demographic of the fanbase.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2627 on: February 08, 2019, 10:02:02 AM »
Paralyzed is just another "ok" song. Very disappointed so far.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2628 on: February 08, 2019, 10:02:30 AM »
Still probably the best single.

There is noooo way Paralyzed beats out FITL.

Exactly.

I like Fall into the Light too, hence the "probably".

But honestly, none of the singles have REALLY struck a chord with me. Untethered Angel is one of their weakest singles and now these two are pretty much in good-but-not-great territory. I will check out the album, but I doubt I'll enjoy it that much.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2629 on: February 08, 2019, 10:15:48 AM »
Good song. It's a solid standard song kinda. Actually quite happy we got those before the album and have the lengthier and possibly crazier ones left. FITL is a bit of the exception ofc.

I guess my problem with these songs from DT is that other band kinda do those songs as well. It's better than the general standard songs but I am not into DT because of those, even if they don't hurt. What I am trying to say is that a song like this can only be good, not fantastic or great I guess.

FITL is by far the best single for me. But I am happy with all three singles. Awesome sound that I really want to hear more from! It sounds damn solid actually!

Offline Art

« Reply #2630 on: February 08, 2019, 10:28:19 AM »
Can't really put my finger on why, but i think Paralyzed is my favorite performance by Mangini in DT. The drums are "simple" (simple for him, that is), cool and they SOUND incredible, too.

It's a really solid performance by him, nothing super flashy, but his drumming just fits everything really nicely in the song. The production of the drums certainly helps, this record is the best his kit has sounded in the studio with DT yet.

I find all of that to be true, not only of this song, but of his drumming on the entire album (except for the "flashy" part--there is definitely enough flash elsewhere on the album, when it is appropriate and called for).

Very nice to hear that! I think MM and the band benefited A LOT by having him help writing the songs. I'm sure he talked about the drum sound, too. Looking forward to hearing the whole record!

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #2631 on: February 08, 2019, 10:32:22 AM »
Paralyzed best release so far out of all 3.  However, the best clip is FITL interlude and solo, just the rest of the song is weaker, IMO.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2632 on: February 08, 2019, 10:59:34 AM »
Probably the best vocal melodies of the three singles so far but, considering everyone is talking about this newfound energy in the material because they were all in the same room, I’m getting no energy at all in the vocals. They’re not bad or out of tune but almost like someone would sing a demo, not putting their all into it as it’s not the final version. Not saying James was not giving his all but it just sounds lacking in energy and excitement. If you look back at my posts, I am a huge admirer of JLB and always defend him but I’m not feeling him on these songs yet.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2633 on: February 08, 2019, 11:10:00 AM »
Probably the best vocal melodies of the three singles so far but, considering everyone is talking about this newfound energy in the material because they were all in the same room, I’m getting no energy at all in the vocals. They’re not bad or out of tune but almost like someone would sing a demo, not putting their all into it as it’s not the final version. Not saying James was not giving his all but it just sounds lacking in energy and excitement. If you look back at my posts, I am a huge admirer of JLB and always defend him but I’m not feeling him on these songs yet.

Its hard to even hear JLB enough to access his vocals.   They just drown him in effects.    Why they do this I have no idea.    Nobody on this board seems to want those effects on his vocals. 

I agree they are the most interesting vocal melodies, I hope we can hear James more later in the album. 

I nit pick but I still actually do like all 3 songs. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2634 on: February 08, 2019, 11:23:43 AM »
Haven't had a chance to read through too many of the comments here, but my first thought was that it reminded me of some of JLB's solo material, which I enjoy. Not sure I find the song as interesting as the first two, given that it's a bit simpler in many ways, but I think it will grow on me.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2636 on: February 08, 2019, 12:04:31 PM »
Did not dig this song either, but Mangini is sounding more lively and more energetic, which I enjoy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rab7

« Reply #2637 on: February 08, 2019, 12:07:44 PM »
This is a new interview with JP: https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8497269/a-retreat-with-gear-guitarist-john-petrucci-on-how-dream-theater?fbclid=IwAR0V9VF_odazhyLm-P2iV9a9BQlodJIiWeIBZkykGSos_BjAptKVS_79224

Great find. The line about him saying no one had to leave really brought something up that I never considered. When I'm at work and am working on a big problem, I have to wrap it up by 5 pm so I can leave and then the next morning I forget what my train of thought was.

I imagine that they worked the same way. If they couldn't solve their musical idea by 5pm in a normal studio, they'd either stay later and be stressed out because they needed to get home to their family, or come back in the next day and forget what they wanted to do. But at the Yonderbarn, that stress is gone and they could stay up all night solving that problem.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2638 on: February 08, 2019, 12:17:06 PM »
and I'm sure that looseness (as it were) permeates the entire album (which is a good thing I'm inclined to think)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TL

« Reply #2639 on: February 08, 2019, 12:40:42 PM »
On Paralyzed;

I definitely agree with those who think it sounds like it could be from a JLB solo record. I generally enjoyed those, so that's not a good or bad thing so much as just a thing.
Performance wise, I liked what I heard. James' vocals stood out to me more, and I think he did a good job. Both with performance and interpretation.
The instruments all sounded good. I was quite a fan of the drums on this one, both the playing and the sound.

Overall, my first impression of this song is, it's fine. I don't know if I'm going to be rushing to listen to this one again. It didn't leave much of an impression with me. Not bad, but it just didn't really grab me.

I'm still really looking forward to the record.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2640 on: February 08, 2019, 12:51:44 PM »
So far for me its
FITL
UA
P

I love the drums on P. Especially the beginning. Great stuff by Mangini.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2641 on: February 08, 2019, 12:57:54 PM »
Agree with :

FITL
UA
P

Paralyzed is simply way too commercial for my tastes.  Could honestly be any metal band playing that.  Its not a bad song, but I expect WAY better from a band like DT.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2642 on: February 08, 2019, 01:04:33 PM »
Wait, we're now abbreviating one-word song titles? :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2643 on: February 08, 2019, 01:10:50 PM »

Its hard to even hear JLB enough to access his vocals.   They just drown him in effects.    Why they do this I have no idea.    Nobody on this board seems to want those effects on his vocals. 

I think it is obvious why.  I have always been a big fan of JLB's voice, and while his occasional live struggles were usually no big deal to me since he could always bring it in the studio, based on what I have heard from the three songs released, the days of JLB killing it on a regular basis in the studio are likely over. And to be fair, he is 55 now, and has abused the crap out of his voice for nearly three decades now (think of how many shows DT has done and how long their shows often are), so a decline was inevitable.  I know I will get push back on this, but it's what my ears are telling me.

Edit: I thought Paralyzed was a solid tune. No more, no less.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:16:12 PM by KevShmev »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2644 on: February 08, 2019, 01:18:37 PM »
When I first heard it last night, I didn't really like it. It sounded very generic and tame to me. I later listened to it in between UA and FITL and it sounded better in sequence. I listened to all three again in order this morning, and it sounded even better, but it's definitely the weakest of the three, and in fact, having taken a couple weeks off from hearing the other two, they sound even better than "Paralyzed".

It definitely feels like the kind of song that "Forsaken" and "Build Me Up, Break Me Down" have tried to be - something about that second track spot after the opener feels like it needs to be a simpler song, and this fits it to a T. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

At any rate, I am really ready to hear the rest of the album, and I hope it just gets better and better. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the first 3/4 tracks on DT12 either, but it gets better as the album goes along, so I hope the same applies here with d/t.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #2645 on: February 08, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »
This album so far feels like a mix between ADTOE and DT12

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2646 on: February 08, 2019, 01:51:01 PM »

I think it is obvious why.  I have always been a big fan of JLB's voice, and while his occasional live struggles were usually no big deal to me since he could always bring it in the studio, based on what I have heard from the three songs released, the days of JLB killing it on a regular basis in the studio are likely over. And to be fair, he is 55 now, and has abused the crap out of his voice for nearly three decades now (think of how many shows DT has done and how long their shows often are), so a decline was inevitable.  I know I will get push back on this, but it's what my ears are telling me.

See this is what I thought until I heard the BC&SL bonus CD.  James KILLS it on that CD and he never sings like that in DT anymore.   James on "Take your fingers from my hair" is amazing and sounds like the James of old.  He crushes it as he belts out on Stargazer.    While I know that album was 10 years ago, this seems more of a stylistic choice than a vocal limitation.  How about his vocals on Illumination Theory?   Also, we can hear him very clearly on several songs from the Astonishing as well and he sounds great.   It seems like on albums when they want him to sound more commercial they drown him in effects and thin out his voice to sound sinister.       Just my laymans music man way of trying describing this. 

The albums where I least enjoy James' vocals are TOT, Octavarium, Systematic Chaos and ADTOE

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:08:35 PM by lovethedrake »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2647 on: February 08, 2019, 01:54:35 PM »
Keep in mind, BCSL is 10 years ago.

EDIT: That said, I entirely agree that for whatever reason, the bonus CD featured a vocal sounds that was almost unheard of for DT. Not even on BCSL itself.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #2648 on: February 08, 2019, 01:58:01 PM »
How can someone not like that intro???

You may say Paralyzed as hole is not that great, but the intro just rocks  :metal :metal :metal

And I found the song really cool!!

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2649 on: February 08, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »
shoot did it again... sorry, haven't posted in a while!      disregard this

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2650 on: February 08, 2019, 02:18:51 PM »
DJEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENT
Well this sounds like straight out of JLB's Impermanent Resonance.

And I love the absolute shit out of that album, so I like this one too. 3 out of 3 so far

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2651 on: February 08, 2019, 02:33:43 PM »

...While I know that album was 10 years ago, this seems more of a stylistic choice than a vocal limitation...

Exactly.  The day may come when he cannot nail it in the studio anymore.  But that day is not yet come.  First off, I don't think the effects used would mask a poor vocal performance.  As said, it really seems to be a stylistic choice.  Second, there are PLENTY of awesome vocal moments on the album.  I would say the album, overall, is definitely more singer-friendly than past albums.  But it isn't a shoddy vocal performance by any stretch.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #2652 on: February 08, 2019, 02:36:37 PM »

Y

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2653 on: February 08, 2019, 02:44:53 PM »

Y

I Just listened to F, D, R, R and R in that order. (no kidding) :rollin
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline rab7

« Reply #2654 on: February 08, 2019, 02:56:55 PM »

Y

Forsaken, Disappear, Repentance, Regression, and Ravenskill?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2655 on: February 08, 2019, 02:57:14 PM »

Y

Forsaken, Disappear, Repentance, and Ravenskill....what's the third R?!

(Used this as reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Dream_Theater )

EDIT - ninja'd by rab above me - Regression, I guess it counts, since most folks don't use the "Scene ___: ______" way of denoting the SFAM songs.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2656 on: February 08, 2019, 02:58:33 PM »

Y

Forsaken, Disappear, Repentance, and Ravenskill....what's the third R?!

(Used this as reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Dream_Theater )

-Marc.

Regression? EDIT: Jesus, I can't read.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2657 on: February 08, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »
Did not dig this song either, but Mangini is sounding more lively and more energetic, which I enjoy.

Agreed, drums are the best part of the song. Good job by MM. :tup

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2658 on: February 08, 2019, 03:18:36 PM »
Let's just squash that right away: The decision to have effects on James' voice is PURELY out of style. Not because they want to hide anything in it. It's something they did in the mixing/mastering phase because they liked the way it sounded - that's what JP wanted, basically.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2659 on: February 08, 2019, 03:22:09 PM »

Exactly.  The day may come when he cannot nail it in the studio anymore.  But that day is not yet come.  First off, I don't think the effects used would mask a poor vocal performance.  As said, it really seems to be a stylistic choice.  Second, there are PLENTY of awesome vocal moments on the album.  I would say the album, overall, is definitely more singer-friendly than past albums.  But it isn't a shoddy vocal performance by any stretch.

A friend of mine from Turkey who listens the album says At Wit's End, S2N and Out Of Reach have extremely satisfaying vocal melodies and James delivers them just perfect. He thinks it's like hearing SDOIT, SC and I&W in his style.

So I hope "the day" is not yet come too. Because, for me James is the main reason I love this band and what I seek first is the satisfaying vocal melodies.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.