Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 254620 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2590 on: February 08, 2019, 08:13:27 AM »
Can't really put my finger on why, but i think Paralyzed is my favorite performance by Mangini in DT. The drums are "simple" (simple for him, that is), cool and they SOUND incredible, too.

It's a really solid performance by him, nothing super flashy, but his drumming just fits everything really nicely in the song. The production of the drums certainly helps, this record is the best his kit has sounded in the studio with DT yet.

I find all of that to be true, not only of this song, but of his drumming on the entire album (except for the "flashy" part--there is definitely enough flash elsewhere on the album, when it is appropriate and called for). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2591 on: February 08, 2019, 08:14:29 AM »
Can't really put my finger on why, but i think Paralyzed is my favorite performance by Mangini in DT. The drums are "simple" (simple for him, that is), cool and they SOUND incredible, too.

It's a really solid performance by him, nothing super flashy, but his drumming just fits everything really nicely in the song. The production of the drums certainly helps, this record is the best his kit has sounded in the studio with DT yet.

I find all of that to be true, not only of this song, but of his drumming on the entire album (except for the "flashy" part--there is definitely enough flash elsewhere on the album, when it is appropriate and called for).

Good to hear!

Offline PreHilbert

« Reply #2592 on: February 08, 2019, 08:16:27 AM »
First off, all three singles are a welcome addition to DT’s discography, but Paralyzed is impactful at a different level. It sounds like the perfect single - atmospheric, modern and still full of DT vibe moments such as JP’s solo.

Some people have noted the lack of a proper chorus after the airy bridge, coming back instead to the “I’m paralyzed” riff. It is obviously intentional and very in tune with the song’s lyrics. That altered third of fifth is completely paralyZing, and also the groove kind of stops. Nugget??

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2593 on: February 08, 2019, 08:18:03 AM »
Okay, I think we're ok to discuss the single now?

I'm not really feeling this one. As someone who loved UA & FITL, Paralyzed seems... unsatisfying. The verses are great, the riff is okay, I like the build-up, but just when I expect the song to ramp up into this big chorus, it just goes straight to the interlude & onto the next section. Basically, my biggest issue is that the "chorus" feels more like a pre-chorus to something else that never arrives. It almost feels like they had another chorus in there in an earlier write, but then decided it to edit it out for some reason. I find it really awkward.

Maybe the song will work better in an album context (I could see it working as like a transition song between UA & FITL), but as a single, I'm not a huge fan.

& that kinda saddens me, because I was super hyped for the album before, & now I'm just worried. :sad:

I actually like the song but I totally agree with you on the chorus.

The verses have a nice melody to them. Same with the prechorus. James sounds great. It builds up and you expect a chorus that does the song justice and is on par to the melodic verses and prechorus.  Then a robot sounding voice quickly sings "I'm Paralyzed"

Still like the song but a nice catchy chorus would have made it much more memorable.

I am a sucker for memorable choruses.  Look at all of the songs from Awake.  You name one and you know the chorus right away.  For my tastes that is what a number of modern Dream Theater songs are missing. 

Excited for the release though.  There isn't a Dream Theater album that I do not like even even though I love some way more than others

On the brighter side I still consider every Dream Theater release "A Gift Divine"

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #2594 on: February 08, 2019, 08:21:22 AM »
I think I might be depressed. My favourite band of all time, a band that have never put out a bad album (imo), are about to release brand new music and I'm nowhere near as excited about it as I should be. It's frustrating. I know what's going to happen. I'm going to listen, it's going to be amazing, and others are going to say it's absolute rubbish. Both opinions can't be right and I know I'm going to have to constantly leap into the defensive about my favourite band of all time. On the other hand, I really want to share my enthusiasm and love for this music with people who share the same positive feelings about it. This tussle back and forth is immensely tiring.

If you can find it in yourself to refrain from that kind of interaction (convincing people something you like is good), it'll be good for you. I have a much healthier relationship with music compared to when I used to suffer about this kind of thing. Now I just try to think "it hits all the right spots for ME and for enough people that they have an audience and can keep going, so who cares if people don't enjoy it". I don't know if me saying this even helps, but I just want you to feel less concerned about what others feel about this band.

Great song, by the way! The stuff from this album is going to work beautifully live

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2595 on: February 08, 2019, 08:22:59 AM »
Only heard it once this morning, but really did it. Definitely sounds like James Labrie solo album only better. :)

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2596 on: February 08, 2019, 08:32:45 AM »
Wow. Best of the three, IMO. Vocals are amazing, singing has a feel in that one, especially the last vocal section.

Radio friendly, coming like James' solo albums (especially from Static Impulse) but also reminds a bit Home and Octavarium album itself.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2597 on: February 08, 2019, 08:33:29 AM »
Okay, I think we're ok to discuss the single now?

I am a sucker for memorable choruses.  Look at all of the songs from Awake.  You name one and you know the chorus right away.  For my tastes that is what a number of modern Dream Theater songs are missing. 

On the brighter side I still consider every Dream Theater release "A Gift Divine"

Well...I disagree on Awake..
6:00 doesn't have a real chorus..(yeah, "Melody walks.."...but I had to read the lyrics to think about it...)
Lie...similar story..."Don't tell me" is more of a bridge than a chorus..
The Mirror...similar story...I wouldn't call "It's time for me.." a chorus.

Also the chorus from "Scarred" is certainly not the core of the song..
Innocence Faded is a bit too cheesy...and so the Silent Man.

Caught in a Web chorus stands out...and maybe Voices.

And of course the one from Erotomania is my fav..:) :)

I love Awake, but definitely not for the choruses...:)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:38:41 AM by erciccio »
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #2598 on: February 08, 2019, 08:42:35 AM »
Soooo, if anyone was looking to order the Artbook or Box Set from Amazon, they're currently listed as "Unavailable". My guess is that their allotted number of pre-orders were met in the last day or two, so I'm guessing they're not going to get any more of the Box Sets. I guess dropping the price to just under $120 made every on-the-fence fan pull the trigger on buying (it did for me!).

-Marc.

Just went to pre-oder the box set and saw it's unavailable. I'm super disappointed. Congrats on yours!
all is not lost, look here: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/dream-theater-distance-over-time/hnum/8882813 (artbook link) or here: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/dream-theater-distance-over-time/hnum/8882822 (deluxe link), this is my German online store of choice and they're great, not just because of cheap worldwide rates. I'd give them a go if you still want either variety of the box set.

Note: The links I posted are meant to serve as an alternative for those who weren't able to buy the box set editions. Nothing more. Now that the snippets are removed, they should be allowed here.
Thanks very much for posting these links.  I really never considered that they would sell out.  Good news, I guess.

Anyway, I ordered the artbook.  Hopefully it arrives close to the 22nd since I'm here in the states.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2599 on: February 08, 2019, 08:45:23 AM »
I think I might be depressed. My favourite band of all time, a band that have never put out a bad album (imo), are about to release brand new music and I'm nowhere near as excited about it as I should be. It's frustrating. I know what's going to happen. I'm going to listen, it's going to be amazing, and others are going to say it's absolute rubbish. Both opinions can't be right and I know I'm going to have to constantly leap into the defensive about my favourite band of all time. On the other hand, I really want to share my enthusiasm and love for this music with people who share the same positive feelings about it. This tussle back and forth is immensely tiring.

If you can find it in yourself to refrain from that kind of interaction (convincing people something you like is good), it'll be good for you. I have a much healthier relationship with music compared to when I used to suffer about this kind of thing. Now I just try to think "it hits all the right spots for ME and for enough people that they have an audience and can keep going, so who cares if people don't enjoy it". I don't know if me saying this even helps, but I just want you to feel less concerned about what others feel about this band.

Great song, by the way! The stuff from this album is going to work beautifully live

I wish I could. It's especially upsetting as this is supposed to be a forum of Dream Theater fans, yet I seem to find endless criticism of them. To me, a fan supports the artists and loves the music. It is one hell of a drug though, seeking out people who are as enthusiastic for the music as you are. When you find someone who shares your enthusiasm and love for a band or a song, it is the greatest thing in the universe! But unfortunately, it's like trying to find the hay in the needle stack. (Yes, that's a deliberate twist on the usual phrase. Negativity is like needles.)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2600 on: February 08, 2019, 08:47:31 AM »
Then I seem to be a voice of neutrality if that exists. The notes are in the right places IMHO. That's all I care about.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #2601 on: February 08, 2019, 08:49:53 AM »
We've gone from my favorite DT album to what's shaping up to be my least favorite since Systematic Chaos.  The DT majesty and magic is completely absent in these tracks apart from the instrumental section in FitL.  It just seems cold and sterile. Where are the epic melodies and the huge OTT build ups? :sadpanda:

Only my opinion guys.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline rab7

« Reply #2602 on: February 08, 2019, 08:50:52 AM »
Where are the epic melodies and the huge OTT build ups? :sadpanda:

Probably in the other 7 songs that haven't been revealed to the public yet?

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #2603 on: February 08, 2019, 08:53:46 AM »

I wish I could. It's especially upsetting as this is supposed to be a forum of Dream Theater fans, yet I seem to find endless criticism of them. To me, a fan supports the artists and loves the music. It is one hell of a drug though, seeking out people who are as enthusiastic for the music as you are. When you find someone who shares your enthusiasm and love for a band or a song, it is the greatest thing in the universe! But unfortunately, it's like trying to find the hay in the needle stack. (Yes, that's a deliberate twist on the usual phrase. Negativity is like needles.)

All fans have the right to criticize what they don't like. That being said, there are, at times, people here who seem to be looking for something to get their panties in a wad about.
Truth be told, you can't really go to any fan page that doesn't have this contingent.
I have said before, sometimes I think I am listening to different songs when I read some of the criticism. Oh, well.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #2604 on: February 08, 2019, 08:53:53 AM »

So you reckon the three "singles" may just be completely unrepresentative of the rest of the album?

Hey, you may be right, but it's looking pretty doubtful at this stage isn't it?
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2605 on: February 08, 2019, 08:53:59 AM »
Judging by the three singles, I have a feeling this album is going to be really special. There is a consistency to the sound that I am really digging. Sounds to me like Train of Thought meets DT12. Looking forward to hearing the rest.

Has anyone pre-ordered the album on Amazon? I have, but the three singles don't appear in my Amazon Music app, no matter what I do :(
Yes, I did. Same thing you described happened to me too. My guess is that we will find these when the album is released, I could be wrong.

I have and when I go to my amazon prime app, and the D/T album, the 3 are there.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2606 on: February 08, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »
Paralyzed has a great riff and great verses, but the chorus is quite a let down. On my first listen I thought it was a pre-chorus (and it'd be a great pre-chorus). The final chorus shouldn't have been the main chorus. Overall the song seems a bit too short, somewhere around 6 minutes would've been a good length. Still probably the best single.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2607 on: February 08, 2019, 09:07:35 AM »
Still probably the best single.

There is noooo way Paralyzed beats out FITL.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DT89

« Reply #2608 on: February 08, 2019, 09:08:39 AM »
I originally lined up the tab alongside the album audio, but it got taken down immediately. Not sure why, considering my Untethered Angel and Fall Into the Light transcription videos are the same format. Anyway:
https://youtu.be/eagTGTm8BOA

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2609 on: February 08, 2019, 09:09:20 AM »
Is it just me or does that guitar solo seem out of place on Paralyzed?   JP is my favorite guitarist of all time and I always love a JP solo but although the solo itself sounds great, I feel like it adds nothing to song emotionally or melodically.  I really wish they would have done some vocal melodies in that slow section and built up to that solo.    Just my two cents there.   Definitely nit picking.

Labrie sort of sounds like a robot on all these songs, I prefer it to the stale production of SC but it would be nice to hear the bright sounding Labrie of old.   He is always so clear on SFAM, FII, and 6DOIT.   Starting with Octavarium his vocals seem to often be drowned in effects. I thought this was because of age and losing his voice but the bonus CD of BC&SL and the whole Astonishing album proved that wasn't the case.    Labrie's vocals on the bonus CD of covers for BC&SL are amazing.

Overall I still like the song though... just nitpicking.  Although I do hope for more "warmth" and proggyness from Labrie and the rest of the band on the rest of the album.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:16:35 AM by lovethedrake »

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2611 on: February 08, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »
accidentally quoted myself here... cant figure out how to delete ha

Offline rab7

« Reply #2612 on: February 08, 2019, 09:13:12 AM »

So you reckon the three "singles" may just be completely unrepresentative of the rest of the album?

Not completely unrepresentative, but in my opinion OTBOA was not as good as the rest of the tracks that came after. TGOM and Moment of Betrayal were not representative of The Astonishing as a whole at all.

These 3 singles have so far shown me freshness and energy. Sure UA is "DT by numbers", and there are some things to criticize about FITL and Paralyzed, but for the most part these sound fun and inspired. That's the message they're trying to convey with the singles, and I'm sure that the epic melodies and great moments wouldn't have been revealed too early.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2613 on: February 08, 2019, 09:16:58 AM »
For those who have heard the album, what is the one track where each member really shines? As in, Jordan's best track, JP's, etc...
Coming back to this, here's my short take on which members shine on each song:
-Untethered Angel:  I don't know that any one band member stands out individually.  This song is really kind of equal parts everybody.  There are individual things to like, such as JP when he opens up the riff, for example.  But I don't feel like the song individually really highlights any member in particular.
-Paralyzed:  Riffy song.  I give it to JP.
-Fall Into the Light:  JP really shines on the instrumental section here in particular.
-Barstool Warrior:  This one is tough.  Not sure.  I'll get back to you.
-Room 137:  Mangini for sure.  I mean, I kind of feel predisposed to give this one to him because he wrote the lyrics.  But the drum groove absolutely drives this song.
-S2N:  Myung, baby!  Even aside from the solo bass intro, there is some pretty groovy bass going on throughout the entire song.  Honorable mention to JP for his outro riff for Jordan's slidey solo.  REALLY nice one.
-At Wit's End:  As much instrumental chaos is going on in this song, I have to give this one to James.  His emotional approach to the vocals is very appropriate to the subject matter.  He covers a pretty broad spectrum here, and he does it well.
-Out of Reach:  Jordan and James.  Without question. 
-Pale Blue Dot:  Jordan, with JP and Mike being close behind.  As I've said, this is definitely a guitar song, and definitely a heavy song.  But the keyboard just drives everything. 
-Viper King:  Derek
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #2614 on: February 08, 2019, 09:19:54 AM »
Lot's of people bitching about Prarlyzed on YouTube. Comparisons to Breaking Benjamin abound also.

Personally, I like the song. I always thought it would do DT some good to write simple songs in 4/4 time. They did a good job with this one. No, it's not Dance of Eternity but does every song need to be that or Metropolis Part 1? If you want a radio friendly song, here it is. Is it the greatest song they've done? No.

Mangini has a good groove going here. The atmospheres with Rudess and the subtle piano in the background is a nice touch.

My only issue with the song is that LJB seems monotone in his singing. Maybe emotionless is a better word. The other guys seem into it and JLB seems just...there.

I give the song a 6.5 out of 10 upon first listen. Like everything else with DT for me, the songs grow over time.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #2615 on: February 08, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »

Not completely unrepresentative, but in my opinion OTBOA was not as good as the rest of the tracks that came after. TGOM and Moment of Betrayal were not representative of The Astonishing as a whole at all.

These 3 singles have so far shown me freshness and energy. Sure UA is "DT by numbers", and there are some things to criticize about FITL and Paralyzed, but for the most part these sound fun and inspired. That's the message they're trying to convey with the singles, and I'm sure that the epic melodies and great moments wouldn't have been revealed too early.

Yeah, fair point about Untethered Angel.  I guess the problem with a band as diverse as DT is that everyone will have his or her own favorite aspects of their sound, so they're never gonna please everyone.  For me, I'll try to enjoy this one for what it is whilst hoping that the next album will be another melodic prog concept musical (or something).
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #2616 on: February 08, 2019, 09:31:32 AM »
Lot's of people bitching about Prarlyzed on YouTube. Comparisons to Breaking Benjamin abound also.

Personally, I like the song. I always thought it would do DT some good to write simple songs in 4/4 time. They did a good job with this one. No, it's not Dance of Eternity but does every song need to be that or Metropolis Part 1? If you want a radio friendly song, here it is. Is it the greatest song they've done? No.

Mangini has a good groove going here. The atmospheres with Rudess and the subtle piano in the background is a nice touch.

My only issue with the song is that LJB seems monotone in his singing. Maybe emotionless is a better word. The other guys seem into it and JLB seems just...there.

I give the song a 6.5 out of 10 upon first listen. Like everything else with DT for me, the songs grow over time.

Totally agree here.... this has been an issue with Labrie since TOT/Octavarium IMO.   When he tries to sound sinister it just sounds robotic and thin.    Although I do like the vocal melodies here and I think the production of his vocals is the real issue.

I really miss the "cheesy" labrie on Another Day and Take the Time.   Over top top hair metal Labrie is the best IMO.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:55:31 AM by lovethedrake »

Offline rab7

« Reply #2617 on: February 08, 2019, 09:33:01 AM »

I guess the problem with a band as diverse as DT is that everyone will have his or her own favorite aspects of their sound, so they're never gonna please everyone.

Yeah there's this misconception that "if you hated TA, you'll love this, and if you loved TA you won't like this one" and that's complete bullshit. I loved The Astonishing but I also really enjoy the heavy stuff as long as it's melodic and fun to sing along to. When I heard DT14 was going to be heavy, I was worried it would be a TOT clone. It turns out so far that it seems to be heavy as promised, but very fun and melodic.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2618 on: February 08, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »
Really enjoyed Paralyzed. Made me want to go back and listen again (I refrained). Looking forward to the album.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2619 on: February 08, 2019, 09:41:13 AM »
Judging by the three singles, I have a feeling this album is going to be really special. There is a consistency to the sound that I am really digging. Sounds to me like Train of Thought meets DT12. Looking forward to hearing the rest.

Has anyone pre-ordered the album on Amazon? I have, but the three singles don't appear in my Amazon Music app, no matter what I do :(
Same here, but maybe it's too early ?
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #2620 on: February 08, 2019, 09:41:23 AM »

Yeah, pretty much this.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: February 08, 2019, 09:42:19 AM »

Exactly.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #2622 on: February 08, 2019, 09:44:37 AM »
For those who have heard the album, what is the one track where each member really shines? As in, Jordan's best track, JP's, etc...

-Viper King:  Derek

This. :rollin

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2623 on: February 08, 2019, 09:44:53 AM »
Yeah FITL is the only single I would call great.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2624 on: February 08, 2019, 09:47:16 AM »
The anger, the pressure, you're choking down
Your words again, feel the nerves set in
Unspoken frustration, they see right through you
Paper thin, like the ghost within

A heart that feels no pain
Addicted to the game
Breaking beneath the strain
I am paralyzed

The stare of a stranger, is like a wound
That bleeds again, silent as the dead
The victim, the martyr, like Daniel