Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 255217 times)

Offline geeeemo

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2520 on: February 07, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »
I really am so uneducated in music that I couldn't tell you what Prog, Nu, Death or any other sub-genre is...I have to look it up every time. :blush

I love what sounds good to me. I thought I loved metal best, and when I came to the DT world, sought out the heaviest stuff - skipping over BAI, 8varium, 6:00 and more. Well, as it turns out, I love their "proggier" songs better than their "metal" But who gives a sh*& what it is called. Each album is unique and I love all of them, and am entertained continually - never being bored like I became with Metallica and my other past favorites.  Only time will tell where D/T falls, because every song by DT evolves in its enjoyment. I know that UA is a real grower and I am loving it more with each listen.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2521 on: February 07, 2019, 04:07:09 PM »
You'll know in 15 days.  ;)
lol, thought it was worth a try!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2522 on: February 07, 2019, 04:13:54 PM »
You'll know in 15 days.  ;)
lol, thought it was worth a try!

:rollin

No one can say that you didn't try.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2523 on: February 07, 2019, 04:30:27 PM »
New spanish interview with JP: https://www.themetalcircus.com/entrevistas/entrevista-john-petrucci-dream-theater-2019/

A few highlights for those who can't read in spanish or are too lazy to use Google translate :P :

If you had to compare the new album with one of the older ones, which one would it be?

JP: It'd be a combination between Awake, Train of Thought and Scenes from a Memory [...] There's some parts where we experimented with breaks or rhythms that we usually don't do like swing or shuffle. This is an album where improvisation emerged live and it sounds very cool.

When asked about Portnoy, this is what he said:

A few years have passed already and there's been a lot of statements about it, but I wanted to know first hand from you what happened with Mike Portnoy, from your standpoint and why your paths had to split.

JP: The best would be for you to ask Mike directly, he left. It's something he felt had to do. To me it was very sad. We met when we were in Berklee at 18 years old and shared a band for 25 years, so it saddened me, but at the same time the band moved forward and it was another step in our career. Sometimes these things happen, people don't stay in bands forever sometimes.

But he's happy doing what he does in his multiple bands, and we've had a lot of success since his departure and are very happy with what we're doing with Mike Mangini, already for 8 years. Anyway, I don't want to talk for Mike Portnoy, you have to ask him about his motives and feelings to know about that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2524 on: February 07, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »
Is it confirmed that Paralyzed will be released tomorrow?

For those who have heard the album can you attach an mp3 of you humming the songs?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2525 on: February 07, 2019, 05:23:27 PM »
Official upload of Paralyzed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM-WKX3LEcw
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2526 on: February 07, 2019, 05:24:24 PM »
Says video not available for me...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2527 on: February 07, 2019, 05:27:41 PM »
It should show as available in your time zone once you get to the appropriate release time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2528 on: February 07, 2019, 05:28:09 PM »
Says video not available for me...

Oh, oops. YouTube must have a regional timer for when the video is published or something. My bad :lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2529 on: February 07, 2019, 05:43:14 PM »
It should show as available in your time zone once you get to the appropriate release time.

That is time discrimination!!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2530 on: February 07, 2019, 06:01:44 PM »

That is time discrimination!!

Damn Pale Blue Dot's rotation!  >:(

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #2531 on: February 07, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »
After the first few listens: This doesn't really do anything for me. I sounds kind of... basic? Nothing really stands out.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2532 on: February 07, 2019, 07:12:43 PM »
More on the commercial side, but I liked a lot, very well done. It seems like a mix of Forsaken with something from Elements of Persuasion. And more interesting than Forsaken to me. Also the best melodies and performance of JLB from the 3 songs released. And I thought the overall prodution on this one really nice, it has a great atmosphere.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2533 on: February 07, 2019, 07:19:41 PM »
It's official to me now.

Eh.. kind of meh...

Hopefully it will be d/t's worst song  :lol

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2534 on: February 07, 2019, 07:21:39 PM »
I'm very concerned for the rest of the album now after all the people saying this was one of the best tracks. I hope I will never hear this song again after I listen to the whole album when it gets released

When DT said they wanted to please the fanbase with this album, these three songs make me think that it's nu-metal fanbase they want to please, and not prog/musician fanbase. I doubt these three songs can even be considered as prog

Not really sure where the concern lies. I understand to each his own, but from what we know, we knew Paralyzed was going to be short and riffy, the album itself from the reviews is heavier and again riffy, with a bunch of proggy and DT moments throughout. Apparently there are a few surprises and a fun bonus track. So, I really think we’re getting what we expected from the description of the first 3 tracks, and have some nice elements to look for in the rest of the songs. Sounds pretty much like DT to me...

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2535 on: February 07, 2019, 07:38:27 PM »
I haven't heard the song yet, but LORD have MERCY on my poor soul that artwork is HORRENDOUS. Like it's Selena Gomez/Marshmello - Wolves levels of bad

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2536 on: February 07, 2019, 07:44:53 PM »

I haven't heard the song yet, but LORD have MERCY on my poor soul that artwork is HORRENDOUS. Like it's Selena Gomez/Marshmello - Wolves levels of bad

:lol

Offline lightbug

« Reply #2537 on: February 07, 2019, 08:03:52 PM »
*snip*
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:59:59 PM by bosk1 »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2538 on: February 07, 2019, 08:04:50 PM »

Well it looks like we found the source of Syme's artwork for this single.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2539 on: February 07, 2019, 08:07:40 PM »
Wow, it surprises me how people don't know by now the VPN workaround to avoid the time zone bullshit :\ ... so here i am, your savior.
In your internet browser (i have firefox) download "touchVPN" (the extension), then setup a VPN from Russia (Australia isn't available) ... done

Pretty sure I'd rather just sleep on it than connect to a VPN in Russia. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2540 on: February 07, 2019, 08:09:03 PM »
Okay, I think we're ok to discuss the single now?

I'm not really feeling this one. As someone who loved UA & FITL, Paralyzed seems... unsatisfying. The verses are great, the riff is okay, I like the build-up, but just when I expect the song to ramp up into this big chorus, it just goes straight to the interlude & onto the next section. Basically, my biggest issue is that the "chorus" feels more like a pre-chorus to something else that never arrives. It almost feels like they had another chorus in there in an earlier write, but then decided it to edit it out for some reason. I find it really awkward.

Maybe the song will work better in an album context (I could see it working as like a transition song between UA & FITL), but as a single, I'm not a huge fan.

& that kinda saddens me, because I was super hyped for the album before, & now I'm just worried. :sad:

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2541 on: February 07, 2019, 08:17:01 PM »
Okay, I think we're ok to discuss the single now?

I'm not really feeling this one. As someone who loved UA & FITL, Paralyzed seems... unsatisfying. The verses are great, the riff is okay, I like the build-up, but just when I expect the song to ramp up into this big chorus, it just goes straight to the interlude & onto the next section. Basically, my biggest issue is that the "chorus" feels more like a pre-chorus to something else that never arrives. It almost feels like they had another chorus in there in an earlier write, but then decided it to edit it out for some reason. I find it really awkward.

Maybe the song will work better in an album context (I could see it working as like a transition song between UA & FITL), but as a single, I'm not a huge fan.

& that kinda saddens me, because I was super hyped for the album before, & now I'm just worried. :sad:

For me the biggest problem is that it's a straight riffy song ..... with a kind of generic and boring riff.  :-\

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2542 on: February 07, 2019, 08:43:38 PM »
Well, just a little over 2 hours to go until I can hear it then.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2543 on: February 07, 2019, 09:22:59 PM »
Wow, it surprises me how people don't know by now the VPN workaround to avoid the time zone bullshit :\ ... so here i am, your savior.
In your internet browser (i have firefox) download "touchVPN" (the extension), then setup a VPN from Russia (Australia isn't available) ... done

For mobile download TunnelBear, works in the same way.

(I know, you are probably throwing money at your screen right now)
Probably not the best idea to explain how to obtain music unofficially on here pal.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2544 on: February 07, 2019, 09:35:36 PM »
*snip*
The Privacy Policy on the official “website” just loops back to the Home Page, so we had to consult the one on the Northghost site. The company collects the following data:

Anonymous information, including hardware specifications, approximate geolocation, date of software installation, browser type/version, operating system (version/language), registry entries, the dates of your visits, URL r4equests, and timestamps.

Personal information, including name, email address, IP address, payment info, and screen name. If you connect to TouchVPN through a third-party service like Facebook, it will gain access to the information you have on your profile as well.

TouchVPN admits to logging user data during every connection. This is the epitome of a deal breaker since the said data also includes the pages you visit, activity timestamps, unique identifiers that were generated for your device (mobile number if you’re using TouchVPN on your phone), and other information VPN services should never have access to. TouchVPN also uses cookies, web beacons, and pixel tags.     

(from https://www.thevpnlab.com/is-touchvpn-safe/)

Yeah, no thanks
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:59:40 PM by bosk1 »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2545 on: February 07, 2019, 09:50:01 PM »
That was a satisfying listen. It even sounds better when listened with UA and FitL in the proper sequence.

I love how it could really be felt that Mangini was instrumental in coming up with that riff. I think the key to enjoying the song more is to listen to the drum as the driver of the riff, with the other instruments following along.

My favorite opening three-song combo for a DT album since SDOIT.

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #2546 on: February 07, 2019, 10:15:13 PM »
Welp. Yeah, I like it. That opening riff hooked me. The solo is really nice too.
Probably go with FITL > Paralyzed > UA in order of preference.

Offline lightbug

« Reply #2547 on: February 07, 2019, 10:17:23 PM »
Probably not the best idea to explain how to obtain music unofficially on here pal.

Someone had posted the "official" link to the song. The VPN thing is just a service.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:59:25 PM by bosk1 »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2548 on: February 07, 2019, 10:22:49 PM »
Just gave it a spin. Good opening riff, good solo, otherwise it really doesn't seem to give me much desire to revisit it, very generic.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #2549 on: February 07, 2019, 10:25:19 PM »
It gives me a very JLB solo vibe; pretty cool. I like it more than UA, but FItL is the best so far.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2550 on: February 07, 2019, 10:59:09 PM »
Someone had posted the "official" link to the song. The VPN thing is just a service.

No, it's not "just a service."  In this case, it is an illegal workaround.  Don't post stuff like that here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2551 on: February 07, 2019, 11:11:21 PM »
Nice short DT song. I like the main riff, and wish JP's solo was longer although at the same time it fits perfectly as is. James' best performance so far.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2552 on: February 07, 2019, 11:16:15 PM »
Just listened to Paralyzed. I like it, especially the riff and heaviness from bass. It actually reminds me a lot of something you'd hear on one of James' solo albums.  That's not a bad thing, not by a long shot. It's just very unusual to have a song from DT that right out of the gate is radio-friendly. Hoping this one makes it to radio stations!
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2553 on: February 07, 2019, 11:46:07 PM »
I see a lot of people comparing it to Forsaken but the song gives me more of a BMUBMD vibe with that kickass riff. Vocally, I like it more than BMUBMD. Definitely feels like this could have fit on ADTOE, which to me is a good thing. :metal
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2554 on: February 08, 2019, 12:07:53 AM »
If I had to evaluate each of the three releases after my initial listen, I'd rank this one much higher than the other two. I can see myself returning to this one much more frequently than the other two. That "I am paralyzed" line is really the only downside here. I wish they did something different with that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'