Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 254880 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2065 on: January 14, 2019, 08:47:36 AM »
For a lot of his fills that apparently make everyone in awe, all I hear is really fast rolls. And I say this as a drummer.

I think most of us who like his drumming is in awe not of his fills. His strength is in orchestration. If one looks for fills, Mangini is not the man.

And his orchestration, with some very very great exceptions, is doubling other people. You seem to love that. That's cool. As I said, to me it's more of a novelty that he is overusing. You've stated you don't want the drums to stand out or be "flashy" and I do at times. Just different tastes.

Sometimes his doubling thing works insanely well. Like in OTBOA when he's playing the guitar and keyboard parts at the same time. But eventually it becomes monotonous because the rest of the band are often doing the same thing. So instead of multiple things going on and being interesting, you just get everyone doing the same thing and Mangini really hammering it in. Just not interesting to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2066 on: January 14, 2019, 09:27:30 AM »
Since we are talking about the drumming. Here is a drum cover for FITL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Rnei1gj6g

After listening to the song multiple times over the weekend. I'm changing my mind. My first criticism of the song is that I felt the middle section could've been longer, and could've been the ending to the song. I think the middle section is just right. It's tasteful and not overdone. I know is premature but this is my cracking my top 5 DT song from MM era.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:48:20 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2067 on: January 14, 2019, 09:35:58 AM »
For a lot of his fills that apparently make everyone in awe, all I hear is really fast rolls. And I say this as a drummer.

I think most of us who like his drumming is in awe not of his fills. His strength is in orchestration. If one looks for fills, Mangini is not the man.

And his orchestration, with some very very great exceptions, is doubling other people. You seem to love that. That's cool. As I said, to me it's more of a novelty that he is overusing. You've stated you don't want the drums to stand out or be "flashy" and I do at times. Just different tastes.

Sometimes his doubling thing works insanely well. Like in OTBOA when he's playing the guitar and keyboard parts at the same time. But eventually it becomes monotonous because the rest of the band are often doing the same thing. So instead of multiple things going on and being interesting, you just get everyone doing the same thing and Mangini really hammering it in. Just not interesting to me.

I prefer to see it as highlighting or accenting, instead of doubling. Hehehe. Like how percussion is used in an orchestra.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2068 on: January 14, 2019, 09:41:47 AM »
Since we are talking about the drumming. Here is a drum cover for FITL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Rnei1gj6g

Played in a kind of MP style, as always.  :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2069 on: January 14, 2019, 01:58:29 PM »
The bias in these comments is so absurd it shines strong enough to melt their brains.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2070 on: January 14, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »

Isn't that a pretty DT thing?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline gm5k

« Reply #2071 on: January 14, 2019, 02:05:56 PM »
Who else would be interested in James Hetfield's thoughts on instrumental section on FITL?   ;D Feels like a straight up tribute to me, and I love it.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #2072 on: January 14, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »

Didn't they do something like this in TDOE?  :laugh: If I remember correctly there's a part during that song where they all do the same thing. Can't recall anyone complaining about that.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2073 on: January 14, 2019, 02:14:57 PM »
Listened to FITL again this afternoon for the first time since Friday. I'm really digging this song!  :metal

Online Adami

« Reply #2074 on: January 14, 2019, 02:16:26 PM »

No?

Again, what I'm saying is when it's more often than not. Doing something as an accent is totally cool. But if DT's thing is everyone just doing the same thing, then clearly I am not a DT fan anymore.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2075 on: January 14, 2019, 02:20:44 PM »
No?

Again, what I'm saying is when it's more often than not. Doing something as an accent is totally cool. But if DT's thing is everyone just doing the same thing, then clearly I am not a DT fan anymore.

I definitely don't think DT's thing is just all playing the same thing, but yeah I get your point about MM doubling stuff. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I wish he wouldn't double the guitar and/or keys when he does.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2076 on: January 14, 2019, 02:21:21 PM »
I was just looking at tickets for the NYC show, looks like it's almost sold out!  That's some positive news, I have yet to go to a sold out Dream Theater show at that venue (or any venue) so would be great for the band to be able to do that.

Offline DT89

« Reply #2077 on: January 14, 2019, 02:23:38 PM »
I transcribed the guitar parts: https://youtu.be/yIWrgrE0FCM

Nice work.

I'm constantly baffled how you guys manage to do this in less than 24 hours...  :lol

Yeah, but you have to keep in mind, it’s probably full of mistakes.
I understand being wary of online guitar tabs, but transcribing/teaching is my profession.  My first official tab book is coming out soon: https://www.sheethappenspublishing.com/columns/21/cynic-humanoid-freebie-paul-masvidal-on-the-house

I also won JP's Match the Master contest in 2016: http://blog.music-man.com/uncategorized/match-the-master-meeting-john-petrucci/

There may be some positional differences in my transcription, but we won't know until we see JP play the song.

Online Adami

« Reply #2078 on: January 14, 2019, 02:27:08 PM »

Nice work.

I'm constantly baffled how you guys manage to do this in less than 24 hours...  :lol

I understand being wary of online guitar tabs, but transcribing/teaching is my profession.  My first official tab book is coming out soon: https://www.sheethappenspublishing.com/columns/21/cynic-humanoid-freebie-paul-masvidal-on-the-house

I also won JP's Match the Master contest in 2016: http://blog.music-man.com/uncategorized/match-the-master-meeting-john-petrucci/

There may be some positional differences in my transcription, but we won't know until we see JP play the song.

I might end up hiring you at some point. I have a tendency to write/record riffs and then when it comes to actually recording them (not just demo) I have no idea how to play it and my ear isn't great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DT89

« Reply #2079 on: January 14, 2019, 02:50:59 PM »

Nice work.

I might end up hiring you at some point. I have a tendency to write/record riffs and then when it comes to actually recording them (not just demo) I have no idea how to play it and my ear isn't great.
I'd be glad to help you.  Feel free to email me at maytropolees@comcast.net

Offline Evai

« Reply #2080 on: January 14, 2019, 04:56:18 PM »
I put Fall Into The Light at the end of an Unforgiven 1/2/3 playlist. When FITL came on, I thought I was still listening to Metallica until I heard the ride cymbal    :lol
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2081 on: January 14, 2019, 05:35:13 PM »
I prefer to see it as highlighting or accenting, instead of doubling. Hehehe. Like how percussion is used in an orchestra.

Or a Drum & Bugle Corps.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2082 on: January 14, 2019, 05:46:50 PM »
Just picked up (3) tix for me and my two oldest to the Nashville show on April 17th. Gonna be a fun little road trip.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2083 on: January 14, 2019, 08:36:53 PM »
I was just looking at tickets for the NYC show, looks like it's almost sold out!  That's some positive news, I have yet to go to a sold out Dream Theater show at that venue (or any venue) so would be great for the band to be able to do that.

That's good to see (hear). The 2 shows I'm attending (Count Basie & Tower Theater - I'm unavailable for the Beacon show which I would have attended instead of the Tower) are both far from sold out. :facepalm:

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2084 on: January 15, 2019, 05:40:41 AM »
So far, the album seems to be one of their most sinister records, alongside Awake.
These are arguably their darkest singles, anyone agrees?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2085 on: January 15, 2019, 06:17:07 AM »

That's good to see (hear). The 2 shows I'm attending (Count Basie & Tower Theater - I'm unavailable for the Beacon show which I would have attended instead of the Tower) are both far from sold out. :facepalm:

I just bought my $25 seat for Count Basie yesterday.  That's so close to home and yea, I wouldn't expect that midweek middle of NJ show to sell out when they are playing the two big cities NYC and Philly the weekend after.  I saw them at the Count Basie for the Along for the Ride tour and had a solid experience there.  I kind of didn't think about how going to Philly is possible too, maybe I'll make a third show...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2086 on: January 15, 2019, 06:28:24 AM »
Speaking of this tour, just saw this and I'm not sure if this line up was fully announced yet?  Maybe I missed it, but pretty interesting line up for Mexico

Offline rab7

« Reply #2087 on: January 15, 2019, 07:19:59 AM »
So far, the album seems to be one of their most sinister records, alongside Awake.

I wouldn't use the words "sinister" and "dark" to describe them, but I agree that they are the heaviest two singles to date.

This is no surprise to anyone who's been following this since the thread was first created. We knew they were trying to make a heavier album. What surprises me though, is how melodic the two singles are. I hope the rest of the songs have the same amount of melody to go with the heaviness

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2088 on: January 15, 2019, 07:26:58 AM »
What surprises me though, is how melodic the two singles are. I hope the rest of the songs have the same amount of melody to go with the heaviness

Doesn't really surprise me, DT finding melody in their heaviness or craziness is what they've always done and why I love them so much.  Maybe some people are surprised they are still able to do this, but I found this was all over TA personally.  Just seems like DT being DT which I absolutely love.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2089 on: January 15, 2019, 07:27:38 AM »
Never thought I’d see DT and Thrice on the same bill. But I’ve dreamt of it!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2090 on: January 15, 2019, 07:28:52 AM »
Never thought I’d see DT and Thrice on the same bill. But I’ve dreamt of it!

I was thinking the same thing about Dead Kennedys  :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #2091 on: January 15, 2019, 07:36:46 AM »

I didn't really hear anything too dark about either song, or even that heavy. I dunno. Not that they're light, but they seemed heavy rock at the heaviest. With a riff here or there going into the heavier category.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2092 on: January 15, 2019, 07:46:31 AM »

I didn't really hear anything too dark about either song, or even that heavy. I dunno. Not that they're light, but they seemed heavy rock at the heaviest. With a riff here or there going into the heavier category.

They definitely aren't dark. They are heavy but not super heavy. There are some good heavy riffs, but the vibe isn't super dark or sinister. I don't think DT at this point in life are going to put out a dark record.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2093 on: January 15, 2019, 07:51:57 AM »
Yea, I'm not getting a dark or sinister vibe at all from these.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2094 on: January 15, 2019, 08:19:14 AM »
I'm not getting any dark vibe from these two songs. They are kind of heavy in areas with the riffing, but very catchy at the same time.
I do hope however, that we do get a really heavy song or two off this album. Something with dark extremely heavy riffs that is born of the blackness chaos, that makes the heaviest song from their past seem like a lullubi.  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2095 on: January 15, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »

When i was picking out tix for the Nashville show on April 17th at the Performing Arts Center I would say it's every bit of 75% full already. There weren't but (20) or so floor seats left and the majority of the first tier balcony was sold....even the top tier was 40% full.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline genome

« Reply #2096 on: January 15, 2019, 09:28:13 AM »
Still not seeing much love for the chorus... surely there must be others out there? I think it's one of the nicest chord progressions they've come out with for a long time.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2097 on: January 15, 2019, 10:22:41 AM »
Still not seeing much love for the chorus... surely there must be others out there? I think it's one of the nicest chord progressions they've come out with for a long time.

No. You are alone.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2098 on: January 15, 2019, 10:39:22 AM »
The two songs have heavy moments, but I do not feel a dark vibe in them. And I hope no song from the next album has that vibe, because DT has already proven that they don't know how to make good dark songs.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2099 on: January 15, 2019, 10:47:40 AM »
That section from 2:40 to 3:10 is kinda odd. It sounds like it should have vocals but doesn't.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."