Author Topic: What songs should DT refrain from ever playing live again?  (Read 8296 times)

Online geeeemo

Re: What songs should DT refrain from ever playing live again?
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2018, 02:29:49 PM »
Most of the TA era was all songs never played before (yes, all new, but it still counts).
True, but when they did decide to cut some TA songs and add an encore, what did they play? AIA, TSCO and PMU.

True.  But while I have to say that while I feel that AIA and TSCO are both overplayed AND some of my least favorite in the DT catalog for songs I would actually want to see live again, they got a REALLY strong response at the show I attended in Reno.  The crowd REALLY got into it, and the band looked really energized.

I am new fan, and saw TA 3x, (alas, missed IW&B due to ill child, lost forever my meet and greet..), but the first was the entire TA and the next two with the altered setlist.  I was so happy to see 3 different songs! And I was in Reno, there was a small Mosh Pit for AIA.    I saw Megadeth in the same venue after and no moshing for them....

So, for me, in a different DT place, all their stuff will be a treat! But I hope someday to see 8VM, BAI for sure. (and of course my top 50) ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:31:46 PM by bosk1 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2018, 02:34:17 PM »
I edited your post to fix the quote tags.

Yes, I was at that same show.  The pit was unexpected and super fun.  There was an Asian guy right up against the stage who at one point in the show turned around and said he was going to start a pit during the last song.  I laughed, but didn't expect it.  Then lo and behold, it happened.  :lol

It was actually for Pull Me Under, not As I Am.  But still, it was goofy and fun.  I know you've posted about it before as well.  Were you up there for the pit, or were you back in the seats?  James and John were cracking up about it after the show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online geeeemo

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2018, 03:59:54 PM »
I edited your post to fix the quote tags.

Yes, I was at that same show.  The pit was unexpected and super fun.  There was an Asian guy right up against the stage who at one point in the show turned around and said he was going to start a pit during the last song.  I laughed, but didn't expect it.  Then lo and behold, it happened.  :lol

It was actually for Pull Me Under, not As I Am.  But still, it was goofy and fun.  I know you've posted about it before as well.  Were you up there for the pit, or were you back in the seats?  James and John were cracking up about it after the show.

Thanks for the edit, I saw that when I was reviewing but couldn't fix or delete. Not that computer savvy. Why I can't follow the Jacoby puzzles either!!lol.  Yes, my hubby and I were against stage in front of JP, the moshing just on my left.   :mehlin I cannot wait for All the DT shows I am going to see, hope my hubby doesn't cut me off after 2 or 3 each tour.... :laugh:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2018, 04:13:01 PM »
Oh, wow.  So I must have seen you there, because I was only a few feet to your left.  I was right in between James and JP, so I was right in the pit when it started.  You weren't the brown-haired girl that was moshing, were you (or maybe she/you was blonde--my memory is a bit hazy)?  I just remember that once it started, someone would bounce into me, I'd get knocked back a couple of feet, I'd knock into someone else, and they'd get knocked back a couple of feet, she'd bounce into me...and bounce right off without moving me.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online geeeemo

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2018, 04:21:00 PM »
Oh, wow.  So I must have seen you there, because I was only a few feet to your left.  I was right in between James and JP, so I was right in the pit when it started.  You weren't the brown-haired girl that was moshing, were you (or maybe she/you was blonde--my memory is a bit hazy)?  I just remember that once it started, someone would bounce into me, I'd get knocked back a couple of feet, I'd knock into someone else, and they'd get knocked back a couple of feet, she'd bounce into me...and bounce right off without moving me.  :lol
Nah, I didn't mosh.  I am getting a bit (ahem) old I think...But I am tall, my hubby taller, with brown hair. I wonder if we even chatted, we must have been standing next to one another....

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2018, 09:15:44 AM »
For that Lines in the Sand arrangement, you might already know this, but in case you don't:  That wasn't for the actual SDOIT tour.  That was from the summer tour they did with King's X and Satriani in the U.S.  The sets for those shows were pretty good, but somewhat unusual.  The thread with those set lists is here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=39071.0  (IMO, the sets for the following summer tour with Queensryche were AMAZING!)
Well, I guess... Still, it's more to do with the different legs of the touring for 6DOIT than them being totally different tours alltogether, so I think it would be a worthy inclusion if they were going to do something like that with a DVD.

Oh, I'm not arguing against the point you are making.  I'm just clarifying what that tour was.  That and the Escape from the Studio tours they did the following summer weren't really tours "supporting" a particular album.  They were cool package tours that just happened to coincide with that album/tour cycle.  Does that change anything about your point?  Nope.  Just providing some background, that's all.
Ah right. Cheers. :)

It is interesting how those tour cycles work, though it does mean oddities like the A Change Of Seasons section of the Awake tour makes the Awake tour cycle slightly hard to pin a name to, with two main studio releases being promoted across its run. :lol
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2018, 12:44:15 PM »
The Spirit Carries On, Fatal Tragedy - or really mostly everything from SFAM. And yes, I did buy tickets for the upcoming show anyway...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »
The Spirit Carries On, Fatal Tragedy - or really mostly everything from SFAM. And yes, I did buy tickets for the upcoming show anyway...
This probably cancels out the possibility of a live dvd release of this tour since the entire Scenes show has been documented before (Live Scenes from New York).  I hope I'm wrong.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
This probably cancels out the possibility of a live dvd release of this tour since the entire Scenes show has been documented before (Live Scenes from New York).  I hope I'm wrong.

They could still do a 2nd leg with no scenes. I hope they do that.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2018, 01:55:16 PM »

They could still do a 2nd leg with no scenes. I hope they do that.

Yeah...does anyone legitimately think they're only going to play 28 North American dates in support of this album?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2018, 08:58:38 AM »
Most of the songs I wish they would never play again are songs that they probably aren't ever going to play again anyway, so I'm good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »
I could live without hearing most of the 12 Steps Suite although I’d like them to bring back The Glass Prison at some stage. I could also happily not hear anything off Octavarium although I’d like to hear the title track live at least once as I missed that tour. I’m not even a massive lover of the title track but would be cool to hear it just once. The rest of the album I’ve no desire to hear live, I don’t hate it but it’s my least favourite.

Other than that I’m fairly open to anything else.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2018, 06:23:14 PM »
Illumination Theory:  There really is no reason to take up 25% of the setlist with this clugger.  Decent song, but should be top of the permanent moratorium list. 

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2018, 11:11:14 PM »
1. Anything from The Astonishing aside from Our New World