Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!

Started by goo-goo, May 29, 2018, 09:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YtseJamittaja

Quote from: TheLordOfTheStrings on July 24, 2018, 10:23:43 PM
Quote from: lucasembarbosa on July 24, 2018, 05:51:54 PM
Quote from: gzarruk on July 24, 2018, 05:15:23 PM
Quote from: YtseJamittaja on July 24, 2018, 10:58:31 AM
Quote from: lucasembarbosa on July 24, 2018, 10:20:13 AM
Quote from: gzarruk on July 24, 2018, 09:36:35 AMNow, we just need to find out who's going to mix it.

Please, Godtrucci, never asked for anyone other than Jens Bogren. Let thy will be done. It will be what it needs to be. Amen

Amen.

Or just ask Nolly :corn

Another excellent option to give'em that nice modern wonderfully balanced sound, I wouldn't mind either.
I agree. I would think they would have gotten him to help with the drum sound though. He's a magician when it comes to recording drums.

Yeah, Haken already knows it, hope that DT could go the same way, wishful thinking..

NoseofNicko

It's sometimes nice to be completely ignorant when it comes to production, mixing, etc... I don't hear anything wrong with the drums on any of the last 3 albums.

robwebster

Quote from: TheOutlawXanadu on July 24, 2018, 01:53:50 PM
I don't really understand how the music business works, but it seems like the whole album will be recorded and mixed by like September. Do we really need to wait until 2019 to get our hands on the thing? :lol
Recording seems to be on track to finish mid-late August, if we assume all the other four take a week or so each.

Call it another month for mixing (number picked basically from a hat!) and the album will exist in a finished format mid-September. There probably is an ambitious-but-doable timeline that would have the album out in 2018: Let’s say they’ve finalised the cover art by the time the mix is delivered, they could do a two month promo period and release in mid-November, or a more standard three month with a mid-December release.

I think the issue is that Christmas and the lead-up to Christmas is a bit of a pain for messaging.  Every big mainstream franchise is competing for your attention with their mid-November, early-December release dates so you’ll buy their stuff for Christmas - and that’s not just the music industry. If you want to stand out, you need to bring your big boy pants - and in switching from RoadRunner to InsideOut, Dream Theater have just taken their big boy pants off and slipped into something more comfortable.

I’m not slagging off InsideOut by the way, they’re a perfectly cromulent record label and I’d be surprised if they didn’t do a good job of promoting the biggest band on their label! But I doubt they’ll want to go all-in on promoting it while everyone with a franchise is doing the same thing. I imagine we’ll get a reveal and a single this year, but January is a much safer time to be ramping up promo, with maybe an early February release?

dream75

I think the new album will be released on January 25th and between the end of November and the beginning of December the first single

Eldomm

Was there any progress with the third password??

erwinrafael

mikeyd23

Quote from: YtseJamittaja on July 24, 2018, 10:44:49 PM
Quote from: gzarruk on July 24, 2018, 09:36:35 AMNow, we just need to find out who's going to mix it.

Please, Godtrucci, never asked for anyone other than Jens Bogren. Let thy will be done. It will be what it needs to be. Amen

Amen.

Another excellent option to give'em that nice modern wonderfully balanced sound, I wouldn't mind either.
I agree. I would think they would have gotten him to help with the drum sound though. He's a magician when it comes to recording drums.

Yeah, Haken already knows it, hope that DT could go the same way, wishful thinking..

Agreed, I'm still holding out hope that they have Nolly mix it though.

romdrums

Amen.

Nolly does get good drum sounds.

mikeyd23

Orbert

pg1067

Quote from: robwebster on July 24, 2018, 11:52:21 PM
I'm not slagging off InsideOut by the way, they're a perfectly cromulent record label

Weren't the Cromulents a villain in Star Trek?

Quote from: Eldomm on July 25, 2018, 02:23:04 AM

If only there were a dedicated thread for that.  Maybe it could be called "Treasure Hunt."   ;D

EraVulgaris

I like how after all these years of people arguing about the snare sound, they went "Listen here, you little shits..." and released a video of them literally working on the snare sound.

RMGadelha

Quote from: EraVulgaris on July 25, 2018, 10:13:37 AM
I like how after all these years of people arguing about the snare sound, they went "Listen here, you little shits..." and released a video of them literally working on the snare sound.

Yeah, and I love it. However, it could still be ruined during the mixing stage, according to some people here. I will remain positive, nonetheless.

gzarruk

Quote from: mikeyd23 on July 25, 2018, 07:39:27 AM
Quote from: YtseJamittaja on July 24, 2018, 10:44:49 PM

Amen.

Agreed, I'm still holding out hope that they have Nolly mix it though.

Good options for me would be Jens Bogren, Nolly and Kevin Shirley.

Adami

If only the snare sounded good, it would have been a great middle finger.
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

Orbert

Quote from: pg1067 on July 25, 2018, 10:06:41 AM
I'm not slagging off InsideOut by the way, they're a perfectly cromulent record label

Quote from: Eldomm on July 25, 2018, 02:23:04 AM

If only there were a dedicated thread for that.  Maybe it could be called "Treasure Hunt."   ;D

So "cromulent" is the third password? :omg:

Architeuthis

Quote from: NoseofNicko on July 24, 2018, 11:28:35 PM
It's sometimes nice to be completely ignorant when it comes to production, mixing, etc... I don't hear anything wrong with the drums on any of the last 3 albums.
This!  I never noticed anything wrong that jumped out at me with the recordings. I just enjoyed the music and didn't try to pick it apart.
Maybe I should re-listen to everything and find a new hobby by critiquing the sound production on each drum. It might be alot of fun!  :tup :tdwn 😎

ddtonfire

Quote from: gzarruk on July 25, 2018, 10:31:35 AM

I'd be thrilled with any of these. Maybe Steven Wilson, too.

lucasembarbosa

Quote from: ddtonfire on July 25, 2018, 12:41:29 PM
Quote from: gzarruk on July 25, 2018, 10:31:35 AM

I'd be thrilled with any of these. Maybe Steven Wilson, too.
SW's approach to calm/atmospheric prog is fine. Metal? Hmmm. Dunno

His works as engineer/mixer/producer with Anathema went great, AFAIK... Well, there's the productions along Mikael Ã…kerfeldt, which could show his skills with heavier stuff.

mikeyd23

Quote from: Adami on July 25, 2018, 10:32:52 AM

If only the snare sounded good, it would have been a great middle finger.

:lol It was a pretty typical sounding snare - it didn't sound great, it didn't sound bad. It was also what looked like phone recording from another room.

I still have hope!

Chris Hinton

I had a cromulent for breakfast.

Indiscipline

pg1067

Quote from: Chris Hinton on July 25, 2018, 01:53:18 PM

I had a cromulent for breakfast.

If I recall correctly, MP's octabarns were extremely cromulent.

dparrott

Cyclopssss

I love the instant comedic understanding between these two. How does on even come up with a line like: 'it sounds like there's a plummer in the room' and then John instantly replying: "and his name is Phil McCracken". I mean, come on. That's gold.

vtgrad

Quote from: Cyclopssss on July 26, 2018, 12:22:03 AM
I love the instant comedic understanding between these two. How does on even come up with a line like: 'it sounds like there's a plummer in the room' and then John instantly replying: "and his name is Phil McCracken". I mean, come on. That's gold.

"That's Gold Jerry... GOLD!"  I'd like to see JMX crank out his version of the Seinfeld theme; maybe make it an easter egg on the album.

Enjoying the updates just like everyone else; and it's nice to see them having fun in each other's company.

Chino

Quote from: vtgrad on July 26, 2018, 08:40:28 AM

"That's Gold Jerry... GOLD!"  I'd like to see JMX crank out his version of the Seinfeld theme; maybe make it an easter egg on the album.

Fun fact, the Seinfeld opening theme was recorded for each individual episode to perfectly sink up with the first line.

King Postwhore

Quote from: Chino on July 26, 2018, 10:47:20 AM
Quote from: vtgrad on July 26, 2018, 08:40:28 AM

Fun fact, the Seinfeld opening theme was recorded for each individual episode to perfectly sink up with the first line.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

PetFish

Aren't we at war with the Cromulents and their big shoulder pads and pointy eyebrows?

My favourite "in sync" moment is from the LaB tour video where MP is talking about the guys not hearing the cowbell and they do the "he's got a feva!" thing from SnL.  Now that's gold, Jerry, GOLD!

Cool Chris

Quote from: PetFish on July 26, 2018, 01:01:13 PM
My favourite "in sync" moment is from the LaB tour video where MP is talking about the guys not hearing the cowbell and they do the "he's got a feva!" thing from SnL.  Now that's gold, Jerry, GOLD!

Funny I distinctly remember that (was it from the L@B video?) and did not know the reference, and thus thought it was the most random comment.

pg1067

Quote from: Cool Chris on July 26, 2018, 01:39:43 PM
Quote from: PetFish on July 26, 2018, 01:01:13 PM

Funny I distinctly remember that (was it from the L@B video?) and did not know the reference, and thus thought it was the most random comment.

It's from the "Riding the Train of Thought" documentary on the Budokan video.  I just watched it within the last couple weeks.

Bertielee

Trav86

Funny. It's the same one he's been using since the Systematic Chaos tour.