News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Still "a thing" since 2007.

Main Menu

Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!

Started by goo-goo, May 29, 2018, 09:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: Madman Shepherd on June 11, 2018, 10:26:22 AM
Quote from: bosk1 on June 11, 2018, 09:00:34 AM
Quote from: Madman Shepherd on June 10, 2018, 12:39:53 AM
Quote from: gzarruk on June 09, 2018, 06:13:49 PM
I could be wrong, but wasn't TOT the last time they demoed everything before going to record the album?

I believe you're right. 

Although you almost can't even call that demoing.  They wrote the songs in a practice space, had some live run throughs and then recorded them.  The "demos" released on Ytse Jam were just a live version of the songs with no vocals.  I'm unclear if they did in fact write vocals melodies at the time and just never put them down or if they waited to write that portion until after the songs were written.  I think it's the latter although James was in the practice space with them.

But remember that with TOT, they had an initial writing session (and they may have done SOME recording--I don't remember for sure), took a break (the Escape from the Studio Tour, with Queensryche and Fates Warning), and then went back into the studio to finish up.

So are you saying they wrote more once they left the practice space and entered the studio?  Because my understanding was they wrote the album minus Vacant in the rehearsal space, did the live run through (that is available on Ytsejam) and at that point entered the studio, did the tour, and then came back to the studio. 

So I thought the whole album minus Vacant was written and live demoed at the rehearsal space and then they entered the studio.
The whole album was written instrumentally in the rehearsal space, and recordings were made of all the songs. Then they went into the studio and recorded (I believe) the bulk of the music instrumentally. From there, they went on the Escape From the Studio Tour and wrote the lyrics (and I'm pretty sure the vocal melodies, since the vocal melodies were the responsibility of the one writing the lyrics). After the tour ended, they returned to the studio to finish up recording the instruments and all the vocals.

edit: And to be clear, I don't know where you got the idea that Vacant was written after the fact. That may have been the case with when WfS was written in relation to LtL, but not here. According to the liner notes for the ToT demos, Vacant was song #5, written before TDS and SoC.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

Bertielee

Quote from: gzarruk on June 11, 2018, 09:26:07 AM
JP shared on social media that today is the first day of writing for DT14 :metal

The countdown has begun! Yeah, baby! :metal

B.Lee

Renzo

DT is writing the next album, so I quote: "Destiny has shown his face, and now the time has coooome!"  :rollin

JP's video reminds me of the video they made during the SDOIT sessions especially when he said: "our home away from home" and "this is the room where all the magic takes place".

Jokes aside, I'm really excited that the fact they write the album ALL together is confirmed. Can't wait for DT14 to come out!

:metal :metal :metal

fadetoblackdude7

Everything is already feeling more fresh - new label, switching the writing/recording process....I think they're gonna give us something great this time!

MirrorMask

Quote from: fadetoblackdude7 on June 12, 2018, 06:31:43 AM
Everything is already feeling more fresh - new label, switching the writing/recording process....I think they're gonna give us something great this time!

Well, it's been six years after all since they wrote a regular album. The freshness must be there!

Freddy Jacobi

bosk1

Everything is already feeling more fresh - new label, switching the writing/recording process....I think they’re gonna give us something great this time!

Well, I happen to think they ALWAYS give us something great.  But I do understand what you mean.

gzarruk

Quote from: bosk1 on June 12, 2018, 07:37:29 AM

Well, I happen to think they ALWAYS give us something great.

Indeed :hefdaddy

fadetoblackdude7

Quote from: bosk1 on June 12, 2018, 07:37:29 AM

Well, I happen to think they ALWAYS give us something great.  But I do understand what you mean.

Well as do I, I loved The Astonishing, and everything else

SeRoX

I hope we see a photo 5 man together in the house.

gzarruk

Something interesting I just noticed, there's no 8 string guitar on the video tour JP posted the other day. Since they're already writing the songs and EBMM hasn't made a prototype yet, I don't think JP will use an 8 string at all on this album, unless Jordan lets him borrow his...

Renzo

Quote from: gzarruk on June 12, 2018, 10:33:13 AM
Something interesting I just noticed, there's no 8 string guitar on the video tour JP posted the other day. Since they're already writing the songs and EBMM hasn't made a prototype yet, I don't think JP will use an 8 string at all on this album, unless Jordan lets him borrow his...

Maybe they'll use the 8 string during the arrangement sessions, for now they are only writing the music.. I also noticed that MM's drum kit is lacking the double bass, and the kit is smaller. Maybe they just write the album and then work on the arrangement later on, with the extended drum set and maybe the 8 string guitar..  :metal

Nathan Explosion

Pretty pumped,I hope Petrucci keeps us updated throughout the process.

Looks like a nice place to make an album

TheOutlawXanadu

Random thought, but this will be the first "regular" DT album in five or six years. Don't get me wrong - The Astonishing is obviously a DT album and I really enjoyed it. But it was also an oddball, which is not a bad thing, but it might make this new record feel like more of an event.

cramx3

Quote from: gzarruk on June 12, 2018, 12:43:47 PM
Quote from: pg1067 on June 12, 2018, 12:37:06 PM
Quote from: Fritzinger on June 12, 2018, 12:10:11 PM
Quote from: TAC on June 12, 2018, 12:01:06 PM
DTF Meetup!! :metal

:rollin Damn I was just gonna write that, but I guess I was ninja'd :D

We know where they are! Let's go there!!!!!!!  :biggrin:

I'll be in NYC next week.  I can rent a car and drive up.  Next Friday?!

... untill one of them realizes you're stalking them and they release Beartrucci to go for you :lol

Or that it's two hours from NYC  :lol

I'm pretty excited the guys secluded themselves in a pretty scenic area together to work on this.  Something magical could be brewing in that barn.

IDontNotDoThings

New album thread? Hell yeah I wanna be updated on this :metal

ChuckSteak

Will they finally get a producer?  ;D

gzarruk

Quote from: ChuckSteak on June 13, 2018, 04:38:13 AM
Will they finally get a producer?  ;D

I'd be quite satisfied if they got someone to co-produce the album with JP. Best of both worlds.

mikeyd23

Quote from: gzarruk on June 13, 2018, 06:42:42 AM
I'd be quite satisfied if they got someone to co-produce the album with JP. Best of both worlds.

While I don't expect this to happen - I think it would be a really positive thing for the band. JP should continue to produce, IMO, he does a good job of steering the ship it seems. Where they need another voice is in the sonics of the album. If they could bring in a producer to help steer the sound of the record and balance out the sound, that would be very beneficial.

gzarruk

Quote from: mikeyd23 on June 13, 2018, 06:57:00 AM
Quote from: gzarruk on June 13, 2018, 06:42:42 AM

While I don't expect this to happen - I think it would be a really positive thing for the band. JP should continue to produce, IMO, he does a good job of steering the ship it seems. Where they need another voice is in the sonics of the album. If they could bring in a producer to help steer the sound of the record and balance out the sound, that would be very beneficial.

Bingo.

mikeyd23

Just clarifying something in the discussion - I highly doubt they are actually recording at this place.

JP made it seem like this was where they were writing and demoing everything. I'm assuming they will then travel elsewhere to start actual album tracking. That space and the equipment they have there certainly isn't up to the professional level DT would need to record proper.

gmillerdrake

Quote from: mikeyd23 on June 13, 2018, 12:03:42 PM

JP made it seem like this was where they were writing and demoing everything. I'm assuming they will then travel elsewhere to start actual album tracking. That space and the equipment they have there certainly isn't up to the professional level DT would need to record proper.

Yeah....it definitely had a 'hang out' atmosphere going on. Looked to be a creative get away which is really cool.

Nathan Explosion

Jordan posted a photo today captioned: "Keyboard World for the Dream Theater writing sessions." We also see a glimpse of JMX off to the side.

Madman Shepherd

Quote from: Nathan Explosion on June 13, 2018, 08:38:20 PM
Jordan posted a photo today captioned: "Keyboard World for the Dream Theater writing sessions." We also see a glimpse of JMX off to the side.

But what we don't see a glimpse of is an iPad.  Did Derek get under his skin? Or maybe that is all Derek's equipment and Jordan is going to be his keyboard tech?

Sorry, I'm just really trying to guess some stuff off the wall stuff on the off chance the John throws a hissy fit and bans the entire world from ever listening to Dream Theater again but releases the album regardless just to spite all of us that can't listen to it. 

erwinrafael

Jordan just posted this:

"And the riffs are flying"

Looks like Mike is not yet there?

Renzo

Quote from: erwinrafael on June 13, 2018, 10:34:35 PM

Jordan just posted this:

"And the riffs are flying"

Looks like Mike is not yet there?

In JR's instagram he posted a similar photo but with a clear view of the drum set, Mike included..

ariich

On reflection, I don't think it's a very good idea to be guessing the band's location. I honestly don't even know if the guesses were correct, but if they are then I don't really want DTF to be the cause of a bunch of nerds turning up and disturbing the band from what is clearly deliberately quite a secluded writing space.

Not that I think any of our regulars would do so, but the forum is visible to anyone. :P

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

erwinrafael

Quote from: Renzo on June 13, 2018, 10:41:25 PM

In JR's instagram he posted a similar photo but with a clear view of the drum set, Mike included..

I should signup for Instagram. Hehehe. Thanks.

Moor

Quote from: ariich on June 13, 2018, 10:54:41 PM
On reflection, I don't think it's a very good idea to be guessing the band's location. I honestly don't even know if the guesses were correct, but if they are then I don't really want DTF to be the cause of a bunch of nerds turning up and disturbing the band from what is clearly deliberately quite a secluded writing space.

Not that I think any of our regulars would do so, but the forum is visible to anyone. :P

Now I understand why my post was "vaporized". Thank you Big Brother  ;)

the_silent_man

Quote from: ariich on June 13, 2018, 10:54:41 PM

Agreed, this is an easily accessible and well known forum and this thought passed through my head as well.

AngelBack

So how long until someone deciphers what is on JR's music stand?  It's the DTF way...

gzarruk

Quote from: erwinrafael on June 13, 2018, 11:19:05 PM
Quote from: Renzo on June 13, 2018, 10:41:25 PM

I should signup for Instagram. Hehehe. Thanks.

Yeah, Jordan posted a much much better pic on intagram than he did on fb.

mikeyd23

Great to see the guys back in a room together jamming.

Zydar

noxon

The only one we've not seen in the studio (correct me if i'm wrong) is James...