Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 215246 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2018, 11:44:48 AM »
And I am glad they chose to utilize James to the fullest and not turn it in to a multi-vocalist album.

Amen, brother!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2018, 11:47:19 AM »
I love JLB's performance on tA (seriously one of the best vocal performances on any album period), but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it presented like a musical with different people singing the different roles too ngl. Not replacing his performance, but as a separate thing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2018, 11:50:20 AM »
If they wanted to do some type of one off, then fine.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2018, 01:07:47 PM »
Taking Lethean's side here. First off, who cares what it's called if the music is good. If it wasn't considered a "DT album" that would just mean we haven't had a proper DT album since 2013. And I am glad they chose to utilize James to the fullest and not turn it in to a multi-vocalist album.
Couldn't agree more.   :metal

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2018, 02:58:46 PM »
The promotion for DT12 was perfect IMO. How we got semi-weekly behind the scenes videos leading up to the announcement that started vague and slowly became more revealing with little bits of music dropped in here and there.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2018, 03:10:37 PM »
Don't forget Theresa on SFAM. That was a very cool guest appearance.

You don't need a prog dude as the guest star. Bring in someone totally different to add a new dimension to a song.

I always fast forward through that part of Through Her Eyes. Don't mind it so much on the other song.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2018, 03:19:32 PM »
Taking Lethean's side here. First off, who cares what it's called if the music is good.

Well, I didn't think (most of) the music was good  :-\  This was just my personal opinion and in the end it doesn't matter much.  Astonishing was just really hard to swallow.  Others loved it which is great.  If everybody hated it then it would have been a waste so even though opinions appear to be relatively evenly divided, I'm sincerely happy people like it.  Selfishly, I would have loved for it to be called a little side project rather than this sort of weird album that in my opinion doesn't fit in with the rest of their catalog.  I also don't think DT should bow to the whim of one random dude or even dozens, hundreds, or thousands so as long as the next album kicks ass, I'm fine.

If it wasn't considered a "DT album" that would just mean we haven't had a proper DT album since 2013.

What's wrong with a 5 year break?

Too soon?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2018, 04:10:23 PM »
Selfishly, I would have loved for it to be called a little side project rather than this sort of weird album that in my opinion doesn't fit in with the rest of their catalog.

Fair enough, but by "little side project" do you mean no tour? Just an album release? Because it would either have to be an album with no tour, which probably wouldn't have been financially feasible, of what we ended up with, which would have meant no "actual" DT activity for several years.

And it is never too soon for comments like that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2018, 06:42:31 PM »
No no no no no no no no. :P

The Astonishing is perhaps my favorite vocal performance ever and it wouldn't be nearly as good as it is with either of those two.  Both great singers, but no thanks.  If I wanted something like that, I bet I could find it on an Ayreon disc or two...

But they went through the effort to make a rock opera, right?  Two acts with an intermission.  Overtures for each act.  Many different characters with names and back stories and specific lyrics (dialog).  I really think they should have had different vocalists do the different parts, at the very least on the album itself, if it's too expensive to do it live every day then no big deal, then if they were going to film it have the individual characters for that show.

Why run the marathon and then bug-out near the end by *not* having different players voice each character?

Take a look at these multi-vocalist versions of:

Our New World:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUh2DPe8CaM
A New Beginning:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtpJfCKPlZs

Imagine how awesome The Astonishing would sound if they went with different vocalists.  These covers are amazing.

And let's not forget, but they did do a *real* version of Our New World with Lzzy Hale:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_m-NngPzJA which was probably a test to see how it would be received to see if they'd take it any further.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2018, 07:01:19 PM »
No no no no no no no no. :P

The Astonishing is perhaps my favorite vocal performance ever and it wouldn't be nearly as good as it is with either of those two.  Both great singers, but no thanks.  If I wanted something like that, I bet I could find it on an Ayreon disc or two...

But they went through the effort to make a rock opera, right?  Two acts with an intermission.  Overtures for each act.  Many different characters with names and back stories and specific lyrics (dialog).  I really think they should have had different vocalists do the different parts, at the very least on the album itself, if it's too expensive to do it live every day then no big deal, then if they were going to film it have the individual characters for that show.

Why run the marathon and then bug-out near the end by *not* having different players voice each character?

Take a look at these multi-vocalist versions of:

Our New World:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUh2DPe8CaM
A New Beginning:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtpJfCKPlZs

Imagine how awesome The Astonishing would sound if they went with different vocalists.  These covers are amazing.

And let's not forget, but they did do a *real* version of Our New World with Lzzy Hale:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_m-NngPzJA which was probably a test to see how it would be received to see if they'd take it any further.

Yes, Chego's videos are all kinds of awesome, but I'll take James singing Our New World any day of the week. The album proper should be James and James only. If they ever want to expand the production for a one off, or some sort of Vegas residency thing, then fine, have multiple vocalist. But this is a Dream Theater album.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2018, 07:04:29 PM »
I'd prefer multiple vocalists, personally. I know DT fans tend to be purists, but this seems like a good chance to try very new things, but sadly they greatly limited where they were willing to go.

Maybe if it had been a John Petrucci and Jordan Ruddess presents...kind of thing, the purist fans wouldn't be so angry at multiple vocalists.

Also the idea that because Ayreon does multiple vocalists, therefore Dream Theater isn't allowed to is just odd. It's like saying Dream Theater shouldn't write riffs that sound a bit like Metallica or Rush because those bands do that already.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2018, 08:11:54 PM »
I'd prefer multiple vocalists, personally. I know DT fans tend to be purists, but this seems like a good chance to try very new things, but sadly they greatly limited where they were willing to go.

Maybe if it had been a John Petrucci and Jordan Ruddess presents...kind of thing, the purist fans wouldn't be so angry at multiple vocalists.

Also the idea that because Ayreon does multiple vocalists, therefore Dream Theater isn't allowed to is just odd. It's like saying Dream Theater shouldn't write riffs that sound a bit like Metallica or Rush because those bands do that already.

Exactly! Ayreon better not make another album, 'cause Avantasia's already putting out a new one next year.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2018, 08:31:26 PM »
I'm not at all saying that Dream Theater isn't "allowed" to have multiple vocalists because Ayreon does.  What I am saying is that the album - in my opinion of course - would not be as good as it is had they done so.  I don't think that by not having multiple singers that they didn't go "all the way." They certainly did, and more singers aren't required to make the concept complete.

The Ayreon comment - had they used those particular vocalists, well, they'd still be "allowed" to do it, but it would certainly be reminiscent of Ayreon, especially with Anneke. I've seen her live, and I appreciate what she does, but James nailed that performance (studio and live), and it's better with him doing it.  I've also seen Devin, and I like him a lot, but again - same thing.  I'll take James as Lord Nafaryus any day.

If this makes me a Dream Theater purist, so be it.  I think it just makes me a fan of what James LaBrie did on that album.  In my opinion, he put everything into it and turned in the performance of a lifetime.  It's my favorite vocal performance period, and I wouldn't trade a second of it to have anyone else on that album - not even other favorite singers of mine, certainly not Anneke using too much vibrato while singing A Life Left Behind. 

If I ever for a second doubted the above feelings, any doubt was erased when they released that version with Lzzy Hale.  Don't mind them doing it as it's not on the album, but I wasn't a fan of her voice on it at all.

Offline Adami

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2018, 08:37:24 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2018, 08:39:15 PM »
 :lol

Hey, I agree. James did awesome. But if I had a choice between hearing James sing Faythe's parts and any female singer instead, I'm going with the female singer.  And if the late Chris Lee was still around, I'd TOTALLY want him doing Nafaryus's parts, now that I think about it.  :2metal: #rhapsody
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Adami

« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2018, 08:43:41 PM »
I will agree that I wouldn't want Anneke or Devin on the album, though I love them both.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lethean

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2018, 09:12:22 PM »
:lol

Hey, I agree. James did awesome. But if I had a choice between hearing James sing Faythe's parts and any female singer instead, I'm going with the female singer.  And if the late Chris Lee was still around, I'd TOTALLY want him doing Nafaryus's parts, now that I think about it.  :2metal: #rhapsody

Should they have brought in a female singer for Goodnight Kiss too?

<no>

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2018, 09:22:34 PM »
I dunno, I was 11 so I didn't know any good female singers at that age :neverusethis:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2018, 09:41:08 PM »
I completely love TA the way it is, and it's James' vocal masterpiece indeed. However, it would've been really cool to have only one female singer doing all the female character parts, with James singing all the male character parts (which is most of the album, anyway). They could've chosen (pun intended) a very good female singer for the album and brought her with them on the tour, and it wouldn't have been like taking a whole cast or anything like that.

Back to the guest appearances thing on DT albums, I think it's a great idea if done right. The LITS thing with Dug Pinnick didn't work that well, but if we look at the others like Theresa Thomason on SFAM or Eugene Friesen playing cello on Vacant, they can help make the album better. Now, with DT14, I think they could add a couple extra elements like a female singer doing a duet with James on a song or bring in a couple instrumentalists that play different things and add new flavors to a song. Didn't the Dregs violinist play on TBOT? That's what I'm talking about.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2018, 09:55:17 PM »
Theresa would've been perfect i think for Faythe.

But it was just a thought I had.

I fucking love the album immensely. Love James' vocals and his different styles for each character. Wish we got more Arabelle dialogue though, he used his nice warm somber style for her. And I find the buildup to "My Music Player" beautiful with JPs run. I dont have any problem with that lyric. I mean how else you gonna represent Faythes greatest gift of all.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lethean

« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2018, 10:04:46 PM »
Theresa would've been perfect i think for Faythe.

But it was just a thought I had.

I fucking love the album immensely. Love James' vocals and his different styles for each character. Wish we got more Arabelle dialogue though, he used his nice warm somber style for her. And I find the buildup to "My Music Player" beautiful with JPs run. I dont have any problem with that lyric. I mean how else you gonna represent Faythes greatest gift of all.

I like the Arabelle voice too.  :)  And I agree with you about the music player.  I thought it was kinda cheesy the first time I listened to it, and I get why people don't like it, but it does make sense.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2018, 10:06:02 PM »
Also the idea that because Ayreon does multiple vocalists, therefore Dream Theater isn't allowed to is just odd.

Dream Theater is a band made up of 5 guys who have specific roles within the group, and have ever since their inception, allowing for the few changes made over the years. Ayreon is a musical project conceived and written by one individual, specifically designed to feature different musicians and vocalists.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2018, 10:30:00 PM »
Also the idea that because Ayreon does multiple vocalists, therefore Dream Theater isn't allowed to is just odd.

Dream Theater is a band made up of 5 guys who have specific roles within the group, and have ever since their inception, allowing for the few changes made over the years. Ayreon is a musical project conceived and written by one individual, specifically designed to feature different musicians and vocalists.

Indeed. So?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2018, 10:45:05 PM »
Maybe I missed a post, but I wasn't aware anyone was making the argument you were arguing against. So I found your post a bit of a non-sequitur. Otherwise I agree with your statement. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2018, 10:50:55 PM »
Maybe I missed a post, but I wasn't aware anyone was making the argument you were arguing against. So I found your post a bit of a non-sequitur. Otherwise I agree with your statement.

It was in response to the idea that DT shouldn’t use multiple vocalists, and that if you want to hear an album with multiple vocalists, you should listen to Aryeon.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2018, 10:58:27 PM »
Selfishly, I would have loved for it to be called a little side project rather than this sort of weird album that in my opinion doesn't fit in with the rest of their catalog.

Fair enough, but by "little side project" do you mean no tour? Just an album release? Because it would either have to be an album with no tour, which probably wouldn't have been financially feasible, of what we ended up with, which would have meant no "actual" DT activity for several years.

Well, I would have been ok with it being a "big side project" with a tour and all.  I'm well aware that the DT name made it much more financially feasible to pull something like that off but in my own perfect world it could have had the DT name in some fashion but since I see it more as "DTish," either way I wouldn't be *happy* with the break from what I consider normal DT records but I would have been more ok with it. 

I mean, it could have been done kind of like Metallica and Lou Reed's Lulu.  Not technically a Metallica album but still sort of a Metallica album.  Like that...except the Astonishing is better than Lulu.  See, even I don't hate TA *that* much to say it is on par or worse than Lulu. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2018, 11:29:03 PM »

It was in response to the idea that DT shouldn’t use multiple vocalists, and that if you want to hear an album with multiple vocalists, you should listen to Aryeon.

Well yeah, that is not a good argument. What one band does shouldn't dictate what another band does. Nor should it dictate what a listener chooses to listen to.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2018, 01:36:36 AM »
I think it all comes down to personal taste. Those who like The Astonishing are perfectly happy with it the way it is, and those who don't wish it to be more detached from DT's name, and so being so different to the point that becomes a "JP and JR presents" kind of thing and less of a "DT album" thing.

And The Astonishing is more in line with DT's previous output than Lulu is with Metallica's output. Imagine if "An evening with JP and JR" would have had vocal lines for James to sing, now THAT would have truly been a WTF (albeit beautiful) DT album if, released as such. The Astonishing is still Dream Theater, it's not that if it wasn't for James singing you could never ever tell it's JP and JR who wrote it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Fritzinger

« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2018, 03:53:01 AM »
I think it all comes down to personal taste. Those who like The Astonishing are perfectly happy with it the way it is, and those who don't wish it to be more detached from DT's name, and so being so different to the point that becomes a "JP and JR presents" kind of thing and less of a "DT album" thing.

And The Astonishing is more in line with DT's previous output than Lulu is with Metallica's output. Imagine if "An evening with JP and JR" would have had vocal lines for James to sing, now THAT would have truly been a WTF (albeit beautiful) DT album if, released as such. The Astonishing is still Dream Theater, it's not that if it wasn't for James singing you could never ever tell it's JP and JR who wrote it.

And MP would have completely lost it  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2018, 04:08:09 AM »
Hey, maybe that could have been the solution to the 2010 split. "ok, tell you what Mike, you stay in the band, but you simply don't do anything because we're gonna do a guitar / piano album"  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2018, 07:08:16 AM »
Guys, guys, guys... No need to debate this, clearly the band should have released two versions of TA. The first being the version we all know with James singing all the parts. The second being a version with vocalists for each character. It would make like almost 5 hours of DT music. Win win.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2018, 08:16:56 AM »
Guys, guys, guys... No need to debate this, clearly the band should have released two versions of TA. The first being the version we all know with James singing all the parts. The second being a version with vocalists for each character. It would make like almost 5 hours of DT music. Win win.

Additional bonus disc on the super deluxe edition: a disc of covers of what was on Faythe's music player  :biggrin:

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2018, 08:30:18 AM »

Additional bonus disc on the super deluxe edition: a disc of covers of what was on Faythe's music player  :biggrin:

Sons of Sons of Sons of Sons of Apollo ?
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2018, 08:32:06 AM »
JM does a capella renditions of the NOMAC tracks.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2018, 08:35:49 AM »
I like James doing all the vocal parts, and I feel like he knocked it out of the park.  I think there are some practical difficulties that present themselves if DT would have used guests.  If they used guests for only SOME of the characters, and had James play multiple ones, I think it would feel kind of strange.  And if they used guest vocalists and didn't have them on the tour, then THAT would have felt strange.  All in all, I really like the way they did it.  James' performance was fantastic. 

That said, if they had chosen to have different vocalists, I'm sure I would have enjoyed that too.  It sounds really cool on, say, Avantasia's stuff.  I'm sure DT would have made it sound amazing with multiple vocalists had they chosen to go that direction.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."