Author Topic: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album **DO NOT POST LINKS**  (Read 84814 times)

Online Skeever

To be honest, if it’s substandard, I hope they don’t bother releasing it.
I personally think it's awesome. I think the Japanese production company did a great job - they cut to some awesome shots from inside the crowd, which looks really great, as well as some cool HD non-gopro shots that look straight down from the rafters above Mangini, which is another cool angle that I don't think we've had before (not to my recollection at least). From what I've heard, some of the weird vocal parts just kind of sound like there's a chorus effect on James's voice (unless there's something really bad that I haven't heard yet), which actually gives off a cool sound in my opinion. Based on what I've seen so far, I like it better than LALP, but maybe just not as much as BTFW.

I do a lot of audio production and it definitely sounds to me like there's some heavily misapplied autotune going on... whether that was there live or in some kind of later processing, who knows, but something unnatural is going on. Though the last time James' voice sounded "natural" to me on a DT live DVD was the original Budokan show.

Offline Scottjf8

I personally think it's awesome. I think the Japanese production company did a great job - they cut to some awesome shots from inside the crowd, which looks really great, as well as some cool HD non-gopro shots that look straight down from the rafters above Mangini, which is another cool angle that I don't think we've had before (not to my recollection at least). From what I've heard, some of the weird vocal parts just kind of sound like there's a chorus effect on James's voice (unless there's something really bad that I haven't heard yet), which actually gives off a cool sound in my opinion. Based on what I've seen so far, I like it better than LALP, but maybe just not as much as BTFW.

I do a lot of audio production and it definitely sounds to me like there's some heavily misapplied autotune going on... whether that was there live or in some kind of later processing, who knows, but something unnatural is going on. Though the last time James' voice sounded "natural" to me on a DT live DVD was the original Budokan show.

He did sound amazing on that video - maybe the best he's ever done.  Although, I really like his vocals in Score too (especially Sacrificed Sons)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional

apparently the vocal track had a phasing issue when they recorded it, and thats the weird effect you hear on the video. I don't know how you would have an autotuner make a phaser effect like that....

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Judging in what I've seen/heard, it would kinda make sense to me that they choose to NOT release this for the following reason:
The vocals are weird, and JLB has already been in the hot spot for critics in the past few years (I mean, he has always been in that point but I feel that the nay-JLB-sayers have been going uphill ever since The Astonishing Live was going on). So, releasing (officially or unofficially) this would give them more reason to hate on him and it wouldn't be good to the band's image in any way.

I hear some of the lazy autotune work that has been mentioned, and that has nothing to do with the chorus-y effect that plagues the vocal tracks. It's really evident in a couple of the songs, and if this was the case this is really something to do with Chycki's mixing process. That's not cool in any way.

It's a shame, tho. The instrumental mix is incredible.

I know it's off-bounds to share or even discuss this material, but it's so out there and being constantly shared in my social media pages that I felt like I needed to say something about it haha.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online MirrorMask

I know it's off-bounds to share or even discuss this material, but it's so out there and being constantly shared in my social media pages that I felt like I needed to say something about it haha.

I stumbled upon it and I wasn't even looking for it. I was just doing normal internet stuff.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Yeah, it's a game of whack-a-mole at this point. We're reporting it as quickly as we see it, but it takes a few days (sometimes weeks) for the paperwork to completely go through...

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
If ya’ll are talking about that batch of vids that has found it’s way to Youtube from when they played Budakon in 2017 then all I have to say about it is they look/sound great.

We all knew the sound was being tinkered with for when they aired it in Japan....not sure why it’s a surprise that JLB’s vocals were doctored a bit? I personally don’t think they sound nearly as ‘bad’ as a few of you insist....but I’m easily pleased and don’t nit pick that type of stuff.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

There's obviously some autotune on it--there are some phrases James always sings a bit flat (like "you won't find it HERE" at the end of Another Day) that are all right on pitch. But I do think there's a sort of phase effect on top of it as well--I don't really think the autotune itself is causing the weird sound, as noxon said.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
All I'm going to say is that whoever the production and film crew is they need to do DT's live releases. It's some of the best concert film around IMO.

Offline Anxiety35

I wouldn't think that it warrants an official release. I don't know the setlist but many of the songs we're seeing online also appear on more recent live releases. If it did get released, it would seem a bit redundant. Plus, I believe the earlier releases are better in quality than the 2017 clips. Just my opinion though.

However, it could be a cool Ytse Jam bootleg.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, it's a game of whack-a-mole at this point.

I know it's a bigger question than just for some random prog-metal band's televised concert, but is there a point this just becomes a losing battle and it's not worth it any longer?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Skeever

apparently the vocal track had a phasing issue when they recorded it, and thats the weird effect you hear on the video. I don't know how you would have an autotuner make a phaser effect like that....

There's a shitton of processing going on, which could be a lot of things. If you listen to Take the Time, it really seems like an autotone correcting James to the wrong key, though... maybe he was just that off?

If ya’ll are talking about that batch of vids that has found it’s way to Youtube from when they played Budakon in 2017 then all I have to say about it is they look/sound great.

We all knew the sound was being tinkered with for when they aired it in Japan....not sure why it’s a surprise that JLB’s vocals were doctored a bit? I personally don’t think they sound nearly as ‘bad’ as a few of you insist....but I’m easily pleased and don’t nit pick that type of stuff.

The band sound good and the performance is good. James basically sounds like James has for the last 15 years, but there are definitely some isolated areas where something obviously went totally awry, and it sounds like it was processing in post that for whatever reason couldn't be undone or processing he has on his voice during their live shows.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah, I'm working my way through these clips tonight (finally!). They are great. Great performances.

Would make an excellent Ytsejam DVD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Would make an excellent Ytsejam DVD.

In terms of quality, it would be the best from ytsejam videos.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
They seem to have an ear to the fans. Hopefully they understand everyone's interest.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, and for the record, I HATE the piped in background vocals, which is something DT has been doing on the last few tours. Hate it.

Offline gzarruk

Oh, and for the record, I HATE the piped in background vocals, which is something DT has been doing on the last few tours. Hate it.

I don't "hate" them, but they can be very annoying at times. We know JP can actually sing good backup, but on live releases he's always buried under the piped in vocals. A bit more of a "live" performance on that regard would be really good, but it seems it's not what they're going for.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline erwinrafael

This video shows how Mangini would drum Hell's Kitchen given some time to practice. :p

And I think this show has possibly the best-sounding Breaking All Illusions version.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
Judging in what I've seen/heard, it would kinda make sense to me that they choose to NOT release this for the following reason:
The vocals are weird, and JLB has already been in the hot spot for critics in the past few years (I mean, he has always been in that point but I feel that the nay-JLB-sayers have been going uphill ever since The Astonishing Live was going on). So, releasing (officially or unofficially) this would give them more reason to hate on him and it wouldn't be good to the band's image in any way.

I hear some of the lazy autotune work that has been mentioned, and that has nothing to do with the chorus-y effect that plagues the vocal tracks. It's really evident in a couple of the songs, and if this was the case this is really something to do with Chycki's mixing process. That's not cool in any way.

I just watched it, and, probably because I just sat through the vids, enjoy them a lot and not putting a lot of attention to the sounding details, I didn't notice at all what you and others are saying about the vocals.. I mean, yeah, maybe if I see it again now I could hear it, but about your concern about the band's image and all that, I think hater's gonna hate.. If they don't release this officially then James' haters will complain anyway saying that they didn't do it to not be criticized for the poor performance of him, when we know that's bs, he was great..

I just tell my personal experience because I'd like to think it's how the average DT fan would be watching this show, just enjoying it for what it is.. I mean, I even happen to read the description informing about the vocal issues before watching it, but even so couldn't hear anything wrong with James' voice..

(fun fact - I actually know the guy who uploaded the videos, and his father is going to mix my band's new album)
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
(fun fact - I actually know the guy who uploaded the videos, and his father is going to mix my band's new album)

Fun fact, ToT-147 is about to get a call from DT's lawyers regarding his knowledge of the person uploading these videos...   :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

Fun fact, ToT-147 is about to get a call from DT's lawyers regarding his knowledge of the person uploading these videos...   :biggrin:

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
There's a shitton of processing going on, which could be a lot of things. If you listen to Take the Time, it really seems like an autotone correcting James to the wrong key, though... maybe he was just that off?

Yeah. Wow. Sounds flat-out weird. The melody is all over the place, particularly before the first instrumental break, and you can clearly hear several notes being 'bent'.

The band does sound good, though, as others have said.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online MirrorMask

Anyway, judging from what you can find and from my own personal experience at my show... is it just me or Breaking All Illusions is a perfect song for James to sing? he basically nails it every time.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline erwinrafael

Anyway, judging from what you can find and from my own personal experience at my show... is it just me or Breaking All Illusions is a perfect song for James to sing? he basically nails it every time.

That should be the target for the current DT songs.

Offline Pettor

Breaking all Illusions sounds fantastic as always! Just seems everything went perfect when creating that song. James loves to sing it (judging from his expression) and sounds great every time and the band obviously have a lot of fun with that song as well! For me it's always a highlight :metal

Still think it looks very funny when JP is "singing" the backup vocals :lol

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional

That guy is going to have his youtube account blocked for multiple cases of copyright infringment very soon. Not even kidding.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional

Yeah. Wow. Sounds flat-out weird. The melody is all over the place, particularly before the first instrumental break, and you can clearly hear several notes being 'bent'.

You know, there is an audience sourced bootleg from this very same show, and you can sync it up to the audio of the released version. You should try it - you'll be surprised at how little is actually adjusted. For the most part, its exactly as it sounded on stage that night. Yes, there are sections that have been corrected, but not nearly as much as people claim to hear. The vast majority of the thing people think is "autotune" is that bad phaser effect.

Here's two examples I prepared: https://dtnorway.com/asiam.mp3   or https://dtnorway.com/gift.mp3 

Online MirrorMask

That should be the target for the current DT songs.

I wouldn't mind at all. Not having BAI copycats songs of course, but have songs that require that kind of vocal range and expression, and of course also emotion.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Here is a thing from a simple listener. I am not a autotune expert or anything like that.

There are clips fanmade and James's vocals seem OK and powerful to me (not great for sure) but in these *videos* James's voice is flat and was thinned by autotune or whatever this post production it is. Sounds completely unnatural.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

That guy is going to have his youtube account blocked for multiple cases of copyright infringment very soon. Not even kidding.

I do wonder if youtube will count all of the videos as one strike though.  Either way, I would expect the videos to be down if you guys reported it.  Surprised it's taking so long though.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni

You know, there is an audience sourced bootleg from this very same show, and you can sync it up to the audio of the released version. You should try it - you'll be surprised at how little is actually adjusted. For the most part, its exactly as it sounded on stage that night. Yes, there are sections that have been corrected, but not nearly as much as people claim to hear. The vast majority of the thing people think is "autotune" is that bad phaser effect.

Here's two examples I prepared: https://dtnorway.com/asiam.mp3   or https://dtnorway.com/gift.mp3

I don't know if that first part of Take the Time was sung weirdly or was the result of the issues alluded to. What I do know is that it sounds awful.

These two examples you posted, are they from the audience boot? There's either an enormous amount of reverb on James' voice or there was a terrible echo in the arena. Sounded like it was only affecting James, though, so I presume it's reverb applied to his vocals.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I was pointed to this video, and now trying to understand the context of the comments here. To maybe point out the obvious, we all know that James was unable to sing TTT on that tour, correct? One can try to have autotune repair certain things, but at some point autotune can't guess anymore what the note was supposed to be, and you end up with it locking the notes into various weird places.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I was pointed to this video, and now trying to understand the context of the comments here. To maybe point out the obvious, we all know that James was unable to sing TTT on that tour, correct? One can try to have autotune repair certain things, but at some point autotune can't guess anymore what the note was supposed to be, and you end up with it locking the notes into various weird places.

Maybe live. But studio? The person manually changing pitches can very much know what the note is supposed to be.

Doesn't mean it sounds good or natural.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I think that is probably the problem. You can't have it sound like Jay-Z either, so there's a limit to how much you can adjust the notes before it becomes brutally obvious. The production value of the rest of the video is so high, I think they did their absolute best working on the vocals but had to concede there's only so much you can do.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Skeever

I believe that James has quite a bit of processing already on his voice before it goes to the soundboard and then the arena. This makes additionally processing of his voice - say for a live release - particularly challenging, as so many production decision have already been made and can't be undone.