Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 214215 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1820 on: July 13, 2017, 09:06:25 AM »
The only thing I see about MP's post regarding Dominici's auction is a lack of taste or support for Charlie's auction. He could have worded the post differently and not sound like a douche. Other than that, I don't see the dig at DT on this post specifically. Hopefully MP's comment doesn't discourage others from bidding.

That was a post regarding an auction that Charlie was running?    Never would have guessed... (seriously). 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1821 on: July 13, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
The only thing I see about MP's post regarding Dominici's auction is a lack of taste or support for Charlie's auction. He could have worded the post differently and not sound like a douche. Other than that, I don't see the dig at DT on this post specifically. Hopefully MP's comment doesn't discourage others from bidding.

That was a post regarding an auction that Charlie was running?    Never would have guessed... (seriously).

Context matters...Right?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1822 on: July 13, 2017, 11:01:02 AM »

Context matters...Right?

:lol

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1823 on: July 13, 2017, 11:34:57 AM »
Can someone just ask one of the guys if they intentionally changed it? I just don't buy that whatever artist they hired changed it without telling them and they just never noticed, which is what MP seems to be suggesting. Otherwise he wouldn't have added that part.

It's like questioning whether cutting off the bottom points of the Iron Maiden logo was intentional or not. Sure, people here have said they didn't notice, but they weren't in Dream Theater using the same logo for 30 years. I don't understand how you couldn't have noticed.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1824 on: July 13, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »
What even changed about it?

Offline Art

« Reply #1825 on: July 13, 2017, 12:50:30 PM »
I can't even see any difference  ???

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1826 on: July 13, 2017, 12:55:17 PM »

The biggest difference is that the new one is symmetrical and the old one has the crossing M's a bit under the center.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1827 on: July 13, 2017, 12:55:36 PM »
The new one is more round, whereas the old one almost contained two straight lines at the top and the bottom of the ring. It's not a massive difference that can't go unnoticed - the Iron Maiden logo is a much more drastic example.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1828 on: July 13, 2017, 01:05:24 PM »
Can someone just ask one of the guys if they intentionally changed it? I just don't buy that whatever artist they hired changed it without telling them and they just never noticed, which is what MP seems to be suggesting. Otherwise he wouldn't have added that part.

It's like questioning whether cutting off the bottom points of the Iron Maiden logo was intentional or not. Sure, people here have said they didn't notice, but they weren't in Dream Theater using the same logo for 30 years. I don't understand how you couldn't have noticed.
I think it's more about who made the decision. I personally doubt that the Maiden guys made that decision themselves and I suspect it was Rod Smallwood. Could be a similar situation for DT. In both cases, the new logos look more streamlined and easier to put on promotional materials.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1829 on: July 13, 2017, 01:07:49 PM »

To me it's also really just a tiny change. But, I've seen epic discussions about the different fonts here, so...
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1830 on: July 13, 2017, 01:08:55 PM »
Yea, it really is a small difference. Not sure why it's a big deal to anyone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1831 on: July 13, 2017, 01:15:51 PM »

I think it's more about who made the decision. I personally doubt that the Maiden guys made that decision themselves and I suspect it was Rod Smallwood. Could be a similar situation for DT. In both cases, the new logos look more streamlined and easier to put on promotional materials.

Right. Could be the Maiden logo was more "box like" and could be easily cut and pasted.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1832 on: July 13, 2017, 01:16:02 PM »
I never thought of it myself.  Most bands always tweet their logo.  Some bands like Rush change it every albums and have different symbols pertaining to the album's meaning.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1833 on: July 13, 2017, 01:16:37 PM »
What is tweet?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1834 on: July 13, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1835 on: July 13, 2017, 01:28:59 PM »
@rumbo

LMAO  :rollin :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1836 on: July 13, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »

Context matters...Right?

It most certainly does; I said before I probably wouldn't have posted that or I would have phrased it differently. Given that context, I most certainly would not have posted that there. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1837 on: July 13, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »

Hey that's different than

I suppose Sylvester was probably too dumb to notice anyway.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1838 on: July 13, 2017, 02:06:11 PM »
All MP did was attention grab and be passive aggressive against the other DT members.  Didn't do Charlie any favors on selling the logo.  Could have just been supportive to Charlie and not make subtle jabs.  As long as DT are doing what they feel best for the music, I don't care if they aren't paying attention to something so minute that only MP and a handful of people would ever notice.  (not implying they don't care or aren't paying attention, just saying if this "is" the case).

I am surprised the DT guys figured out to make a set list without him. :)

Offline CB

« Reply #1839 on: July 13, 2017, 02:40:14 PM »
So much uproar about such a small difference! I admit I didn't notice the difference until now and I don't care. I love the band and the logo (both versions), it's stolen anyway :laugh:

https://i0.wp.com/dreamtheater.club/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/4938868763_9001645c5c_b.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/dreamtheater.club/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/sun-embroidery.jpg

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: July 13, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »
So much uproar about such a small difference! I admit I didn't notice the difference until now and I don't care. I love the band and the logo (both versions), it's stolen anyway :laugh:

https://i0.wp.com/dreamtheater.club/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/4938868763_9001645c5c_b.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/dreamtheater.club/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/sun-embroidery.jpg

Exactly.... but don't write that on Charlie's FB auction page 😉

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1841 on: July 13, 2017, 03:27:56 PM »

EXACTLY!!

write it on Kevin Moore's

On a side not image if Kevin Moore did this. When people bashed Rudess on Twitter for being too flashy and bring back Moore, if retweeted all of those.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1842 on: July 13, 2017, 03:56:55 PM »

EXACTLY!!

On a side not image if Kevin Moore did this. When people bashed Rudess on Twitter for being too flashy and bring back Moore, if retweeted all of those.

There would still be certain people that scream, "YOU DON'T KNOW THE FULL STORY!!!" or "HE HAS THE RIGHT TO HIS OPINION!!!1!one!!"

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1843 on: July 13, 2017, 07:40:18 PM »

EXACTLY!!

There would still be certain people that scream, "YOU DON'T KNOW THE FULL STORY!!!" or "HE HAS THE RIGHT TO HIS OPINION!!!1!one!!"

I could tell you the full story, but you wouldn't believe me as you need official proof. And we all know that is never going to happen.
I am not advocating his style of social media, but he has always done straight honest answers back to the beginning of DT.
It seems that there is a large contingent just waiting to pounce the second a tweet, FB post or interview to comment on how he's an uncaring unthinking douche playing the victim. I know, it's the DTF way. What happened to the day when if you didn't like a TV show you changed the channel, now a days you get on social media and scream until nobody can watch it.
Portnoy could come up with a cure for cancer and there will be plenty of people to bash him because his tweet didn't acknowledge is former assistant.

As most of you know, I did a lot of work for DT and now MP. I don't really care one way or the other what he posts on social media. I'm all for constructive commentary and discussion. But he is who he is. All this stuff is not new, and whether he has put DT in the past or not shouldn't matter, it's his business. Every disagreeable tweet, the reaction is like you(all) have never seen it before, as a matter a fact I think people follow his feeds just to bash him. Is it that much fun to be so negative? Just change the channel.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1844 on: July 13, 2017, 08:14:27 PM »
I could tell you the full story, but you wouldn't believe me as you need official proof.

Not to pounce on you, but could you tell us the whole story? Are you obligated not to, either by legalities, friendships, or loyalties? Most of us here appreciate your bona fides and value your posting here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1845 on: July 13, 2017, 10:57:30 PM »
I could tell you the full story, but you wouldn't believe me as you need official proof.

Not to pounce on you, but could you tell us the whole story? Are you obligated not to, either by legalities, friendships, or loyalties? Most of us here appreciate your bona fides and value your posting here.

No he can't and he won't. I wish he and noxon would stop saying that shit.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1846 on: July 13, 2017, 11:16:12 PM »

EXACTLY!!

I could tell you the full story, but you wouldn't believe me as you need official proof. And we all know that is never going to happen.
I am not advocating his style of social media, but he has always done straight honest answers back to the beginning of DT.
It seems that there is a large contingent just waiting to pounce the second a tweet, FB post or interview to comment on how he's an uncaring unthinking douche playing the victim. I know, it's the DTF way. What happened to the day when if you didn't like a TV show you changed the channel, now a days you get on social media and scream until nobody can watch it.
Portnoy could come up with a cure for cancer and there will be plenty of people to bash him because his tweet didn't acknowledge is former assistant.

As most of you know, I did a lot of work for DT and now MP. I don't really care one way or the other what he posts on social media. I'm all for constructive commentary and discussion. But he is who he is. All this stuff is not new, and whether he has put DT in the past or not shouldn't matter, it's his business. Every disagreeable tweet, the reaction is like you(all) have never seen it before, as a matter a fact I think people follow his feeds just to bash him. Is it that much fun to be so negative? Just change the channel.

There's a lot to comment on here but lets just start with this:  Why don't YOU change the channel?  You apparently dislike DTF so much yet you keep coming back.  You throw around these bizarre accusations about how much we hate Portnoy so fucking much that he could cure cancer and we would complain. BTW, that's a pretty tasteless accusation as I'm sure many posters here have been affected by cancer in some way or another and would love to see cancer cured, even if it comes from that evil Portnoy who we just love to hate even though every poster here has said positive things about him at one point or another.  Some in this very thread.  So if we hate him so much and are so ready to pounce, why do the vast majority of posters here reserve their criticism for when he acts tactlessly?  Admittedly, he does so quite often so it may seem like a lot but hey, you could change the channel. 

Perhaps those critical of Portnoy should start acting as hysterical as some of his supporters. 

"Portnoy could film himself slaughtering puppies and you would still defend him!"  Sounds pretty absurd, eh?  I guess you can't handle that we call it like we see it.  When he acts in a weird way, well, we call it like we see it.  And no, I don't follow Mike just to bash him.  In fact, I don't follow him at all.  I follow Charlie and saw his bizarre comment. 

But as for your original point, believe it or not, I wouldn't necessarily require physical proof to believe you.  I've remained very open minded through this whole ordeal.  Laugh if you want, but why would I praise these Shattered Fortress performances if I hate everything that the cancer curing Portnoy has ever done? Seems like you just want to dangle a line.  "Look how much I know!"

Well, we know you know a lot of insider info. 

For what it's worth, I also appreciate your work with DT and no difference of opinion is going to jade my view of that or Mike's contributions for that matter. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1847 on: July 13, 2017, 11:21:50 PM »

EXACTLY!!

There's a lot to comment on here but lets just start with this:  Why don't YOU change the channel?  You apparently dislike DTF so much yet you keep coming back.  You throw around these bizarre accusations about how much we hate Portnoy so fucking much that he could cure cancer and we would complain. BTW, that's a pretty tasteless accusation as I'm sure many posters here have been affected by cancer in some way or another and would love to see cancer cured, even if it comes from that evil Portnoy who we just love to hate even though every poster here has said positive things about him at one point or another.  Some in this very thread.  So if we hate him so much and are so ready to pounce, why do the vast majority of posters here reserve their criticism for when he acts tactlessly?  Admittedly, he does so quite often so it may seem like a lot but hey, you could change the channel. 

Perhaps those critical of Portnoy should start acting as hysterical as some of his supporters. 

"Portnoy could film himself slaughtering puppies and you would still defend him!"  Sounds pretty absurd, eh?  I guess you can't handle that we call it like we see it.  When he acts in a weird way, well, we call it like we see it.  And no, I don't follow Mike just to bash him.  In fact, I don't follow him at all.  I follow Charlie and saw his bizarre comment. 

But as for your original point, believe it or not, I wouldn't necessarily require physical proof to believe you.  I've remained very open minded through this whole ordeal.  Laugh if you want, but why would I praise these Shattered Fortress performances if I hate everything that the cancer curing Portnoy has ever done? Seems like you just want to dangle a line.  "Look how much I know!"

Well, we know you know a lot of insider info. 

For what it's worth, I also appreciate your work with DT and no difference of opinion is going to jade my view of that or Mike's contributions for that matter.

tl;dr: MP's a gay fish.

This is a great post. Hopefully it doesn't get ignored or misunderstood.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1848 on: July 13, 2017, 11:47:17 PM »
I definitely do not want to unfollow Portnoy. I love him as a musician and entertainer. I have loved most of what he has done musically since the split. If I unfollow him, how would I get all the information that I want on his upcoming projects?

Would be over the moon if Portnoy came up with a cure for cancer.... heck I am over the moon because he has a new prog metal group to play in.

That does not change my reaction to some of his online activities though. I just wish he would think a little bit more before posting sometimes. I can not see any background story that would change that.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1849 on: July 14, 2017, 01:03:38 AM »

Sure, the old "just being honest" excuse again.  Such a bullshit excuse people use to justify their junk.  Just because you *can* say whatever you want doesn't mean you *should*.

Also, there's nothing to "answer" here, it's just MP going out and looking for anything to comment on where he can bash DT, whether it's something like this or liking a Facetweet, it's completely uncalled for.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1850 on: July 14, 2017, 01:55:46 AM »

No he can't and he won't. I wish he and noxon would stop saying that shit.

Well, I would believe him as well without actual proof, but I understand your position on "Don't tease something you cannot say anyway".

In all this discussion the famous "marriage analogy" is often thrown around, I offer a new one: your average everyday couple on Facebook that has a breakup.

Let's say you have two contacts that split up, and the guy posts a lot of melodramatic stuff about the ex while the ex doesn't post anything, inevitabily you'd think the dude is a whiney annoying person even though maybe the ex treated him like shit and he's right in badmouthing her... the point is, nobody cares. Unless you're personally invested and you're best friends since forever with one of the couple, the reaction on social media will be the same, famous and not famous persons - at a certain you get annoyed at the drama and the fault resides on the one that starts said drama. It's human nature.

I understand the passion involved and the deeper knowledge that people may have, but as I said, that's human nature, it applies to both famous persons and everyday friends.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1851 on: July 14, 2017, 02:17:03 AM »
Nice post MirrorMask

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1852 on: July 14, 2017, 03:14:34 AM »

EXACTLY!!

It's "funny" you should mention it, as my father died last Saturday from cancer. Some people go so much out of their way to defend MP that they are ready to say any bullshit that comes to their mind.

I could not have worded what you said in a better way concerning MP. Let me just add this : I have always loved the man as a musician but lately, I feel that his shitty attitude takes the better of him, so much so that I tend to just see him through his attitude. The lines are blurred between the man and the way he behaves and it is all his fault.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1853 on: July 14, 2017, 05:14:53 AM »
Bertie, I'm so sorry to hear that. Cancer absolutely sucks.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1854 on: July 14, 2017, 05:52:16 AM »
Sorry for your loss Bertie. Cancer really sucks...