Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)

Started by ariich, March 12, 2021, 12:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordxizor

Quote from: ErHaO on July 31, 2024, 02:41:33 PMEdit: I am dumb an somehow misread the quote. I wasn't born yet for the og trilogy, but will say that Iron Man is getting to the point it can cater to younger millennials and older gen Z for childhood nostalgia in a similar way. But the MCU has had a near consistent presence since 2008, so I think it hits a bit different.

I didn't mean anything more by it than "crap I'm getting old. Time sure does fly by"

Stadler

Sorry, probably not the place, but the few articles I've read on RDJ haven't failed to make an issue of him getting "significantly more" than $80M - one said closer to $100M - for this (and a jet, and some other swag) in the immediate wake of the recent strikes where the studios heads have - and this a quote from the article, because I doubt people like Bob Iger ACTUALLY said this -  "cried poverty".  I hate those arguments; they are so indicative of someone that doesn't know how the economics actually work.  The day that an assistant costume production assistant can open a blockbuster movie weekend is the day THEY will get $80M.  RDJ is NOT a loss leader.  He is actually generating the money by which they can potentially pay the assistant costume production assistants more.

But this misses a fundamental part of the equation: when I worked at GE, GE owned NBC.  The equivalent jobs in the manufacturing/industrial spaces typically paid a premium - in some cases as high as 20% more - because it WASN'T NBC. I could have been counsel for NBC, and the upside is I would have had an office somewhere in shouting distance of Tom Brokaw, and within a handful of floors of the SNL studio. I also would have been in NYC not CT, and would have take about a 25% pay cut (so 25% less salary, PLUS the added expenses of living in NYC and not a moderate middle class suburb of Hartford). They filled those jobs in like 9 seconds more often than not. Maybe for the idealist assistant costume production assistant, they're there for the art of the fashion and, the I don't know, personal satisfaction of the "work", but there's a demand for those jobs that necessarily drives the price down.  Whether RDJ is paid $80M or $8, doesn't change that.

jingle.boy

Quote from: Stadler on August 01, 2024, 08:46:11 AMSorry, probably not the place, but the few articles I've read on RDJ haven't failed to make an issue of him getting "significantly more" than $80M - one said closer to $100M - for this (and a jet, and some other swag) in the immediate wake of the recent strikes where the studios heads have - and this a quote from the article, because I doubt people like Bob Iger ACTUALLY said this -  "cried poverty".  I hate those arguments; they are so indicative of someone that doesn't know how the economics actually work.  The day that an assistant costume production assistant can open a blockbuster movie weekend is the day THEY will get $80M.  RDJ is NOT a loss leader.  He is actually generating the money by which they can potentially pay the assistant costume production assistants more.

But this misses a fundamental part of the equation: when I worked at GE, GE owned NBC.  The equivalent jobs in the manufacturing/industrial spaces typically paid a premium - in some cases as high as 20% more - because it WASN'T NBC. I could have been counsel for NBC, and the upside is I would have had an office somewhere in shouting distance of Tom Brokaw, and within a handful of floors of the SNL studio. I also would have been in NYC not CT, and would have take about a 25% pay cut (so 25% less salary, PLUS the added expenses of living in NYC and not a moderate middle class suburb of Hartford). They filled those jobs in like 9 seconds more often than not. Maybe for the idealist assistant costume production assistant, they're there for the art of the fashion and, the I don't know, personal satisfaction of the "work", but there's a demand for those jobs that necessarily drives the price down.  Whether RDJ is paid $80M or $8, doesn't change that.
If RDJ was wearing an IM costume that you or I designed, then every single fucking movie goer would take issue with that.

It takes a village dude.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Stadler

Quote from: jingle.boy on August 01, 2024, 01:18:45 PMIf RDJ was wearing an IM costume that you or I designed, then every single fucking movie goer would take issue with that.

It takes a village dude.

I can only think of one case of that and its more symbolic than fact (the nippled Batman constume that Joel Schumacher tried to sell us). 

DoctorAction

Quote from: Stadler on August 01, 2024, 02:04:40 PMI can only think of one case of that and its more symbolic than fact (the nippled Batman constume that Joel Schumacher tried to sell us). 

Bat-nips is catnipz  :heart

BlackInk

RDJ getting $80+ mill does feel ridiculous. Not because the costume designer deserves 80 mill too, but because at that point I'm more worried that paying for a single actor actually puts a noticeable strain on the budget of the movie, and it's creative integrity (although as far as I understand the state of the VFX industry--especially with Marvel--some of those millions could likely be more humanely spent there). It may be a justifiable business decision, but I'm not convinced it's a good artistic decision to let a single actor eat up that much resources.

Hoping it will work out anyway, but yeah that really does give the impression that this is business, not art.

Zook

$80 million is ridiculous for any actor. He's a great actor, but why would he need to demand that much? Because he knows he can get it? Seems kinda douchy. Shit, Keanu Reeves would give 90% of that to all the people behind the scenes.

lordxizor

$80 million is crazy, but does Marvel think they'll make $80+ million in profit just because RDJ is in the film? They just might.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

The Letter M

I mean, if it's $80mil for both films total, that's $40mil each, and it's probably safe to say both Avengers films will exceed $1bil each at the worldwide box office, so I'd say it's a sound investment. Although if Doomsday flops, I doubt Secret Wars will make as much, at least no on the first weekend unless early reviews are extremely positive.

-Marc.

Adami

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on August 12, 2024, 12:58:17 PMRDJ gets $80 million because he's worth it. 

I mean, I love him 3000. Not sure I love him 80000000.
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

Stadler

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Adami on August 13, 2024, 04:01:47 AMI mean, I love him 3000. Not sure I love him 80000000.

Well, you aren't paying him, so that works out lol
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

The Letter M

jingle.boy

Cool. I've been looking forward to this one. The idea of White Vision is intriguing. 
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".