Quote from: Train of Naught on September 14, 2016, 04:55:24 AM
Ok here it comes, the most controversial of all opinions

The Astonishing > WDADU

It's that good :neverusethis:

< Obligatory " Now Wait A Minute Man " >

Prog Snob

Kotowboy

Prog Snob

Ytsejam, Only A Matter of Time, Afterlife, The Killing Hand. The only songs on FII that are definitely better than those are Trial of Tears and Lines in the Sand.

Kotowboy

Sacul

I think Dead Can Dance's last record is their best by far. Wished they released another one.

In Rainbows is very dull imo. And Kid A would be better without the filler ambient tracks.

Prog Snob

Super Dude

Weezer's much-maligned Green Album is actually one of my favorites by them. It's not better than Pinkerton, but makes top 3 easily.

Zook

Fans of Green Day saying another band's singer can't sing. El Oh El

Stadler

Couple more:

- I think Slayer are a joke, cartoon, and while I don't think I would say it to his face, Kerry King makes me laugh more often than not.

- I think The Cars are one of the greatest bands ever and belong in the RnRHoF

- I would sell my house to hear an album with Robert Fripp and Mike Portnoy

- I think "Under The Blade" is one of the greatest metal debut albums of all time

CDrice

Quote from: Prog Snob on September 14, 2016, 05:05:33 AM
Sometimes I feel like WDADU > FII

I agree with that. I like Hell's Kitchen and Peruvian Skies more than any song on WDADU, but other than that, I find most of the songs on FII much less interesting than the ones on WDADU.

mikeyd23

Quote from: Stadler on September 14, 2016, 07:15:48 AM
- I think Slayer are a joke, cartoon, and while I don't think I would say it to his face, Kerry King makes me laugh more often than not.

I agree wholeheartedly with this one.

SoundscapeMN

Lazarus Bird from Burst >>>>> Every Mastodon album

Like Children > Every Mahavishnu Orchestra album

Marscape > Every Brand X album

soupytwist

- No Code is Pearl Jams worst album.

- The Police are one of the worst (non manufactured) bands ever, with their awful half baked white cod reggae and repetitive lyrics - and both Sting and Copeland are grade A arseholes.

- Street Legal is a vastly underrated Dylan album and Changing Of The Guard is one of his top 3 songs.

- A-Ha are one of the greatest pop acts ever.

- Dance of Death is the best post reunion Maiden album.

- As people have mentioned them so much....Sol Invictus was an awful comeback album.

- I don't really get what's so great about Bowie's 'Berlin Trilogy'.  Station to Station is better than them all.

- The Kinks > The Who > The Beatles >>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Stones.

Sacul

Heroes is a great song, but the album is just ok.

Crow

Quote from: Sacul on September 14, 2016, 05:41:10 AM
I think Dead Can Dance's last record is their best by far. Wished they released another one.

In Rainbows is very dull imo. And Kid A would be better without the filler ambient tracks.
treefingers is the best song on Kid A

hi

TheCountOfNYC

Quote from: Prog Snob on September 14, 2016, 05:05:33 AM
Sometimes I feel like WDADU > FII

I always feel that way. I also prefer WDaDU over SC.

Kotowboy

Quote from: Parama on September 14, 2016, 08:10:25 AM

hi

A few minutes of ambient sound is not a song.

Kotowboy

Quote from: soupytwist on September 14, 2016, 07:51:13 AM
- No Code is Pearl Jams worst album.

- The Police are one of the worst (non manufactured) bands ever, with their awful half baked white cod reggae and repetitive lyrics - and both Sting and Copeland are grade A arseholes.

- The Kinks > The Who > The Beatles >>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Stones.

I love No Code and Vitalogy is my favourite. I lost interest from Binaural onwards.

I agree they're not an album band with all their best known songs being their best songs full stop. Albums were full of dreck.

Whilst i'm not a fan of The Kinks - I will agree that The Stones are easily the worst of that bunch.

Crow

Quote from: Kotowboy on September 14, 2016, 08:39:54 AM
Quote from: Parama on September 14, 2016, 08:10:25 AM

hi

A few minutes of ambient sound is not a song.
L O L this actually pisses me off. it's absolutely a song.

Kotowboy

By the same token - a recording of someone walking around for 3 minutes is also a "song".

Train of Naught

Crow

you're like, fully aware than ambient and drone are legitimate genres right
also, field recordings? also a thing?

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Sacul

Dunno if field recordings can be considered songs tbh, though it certainly seems to be a niche genre. Probably for experimental/archival purposes mostly.

Sir GuitarCozmo

Sacul

Quote from: Sir GuitarCozmo on September 14, 2016, 09:22:27 AM
The 80's were a terrible decade for music.
FTFM.

ReaperKK

I was just listening to Jeff Buckley's Grace while getting some lunch and his cover of Hallelujah is a blemish on an otherwise perfect album.

MirrorMask

bosk1

Sir GuitarCozmo

I agree with Kotow (I know, it also scares me how much I've been agreeing with Kotow lately) on what does and does not constitute a song. But I don't really want to get into this debate again because it never goes anywhere good.

I'll only share three big controversial opinions right now and then I'll maybe post more later.

• Heritage is my favorite Opeth album.
  • My favorite era of Metallica's career is 1996-1999.
  • I like The Incident better than Hand. Cannot. Erase. and also anything I've heard from Steven Wilson that was released before In Absentia, and quite possibly Deadwing.

Sacul

The 90s were fucking great, dunno whatcha talking about :P

Heh, Damnation is by far my fav Opeth album, and I don't dig anything else they've done, mostly the death metal albums - feels like they have 1 or 2 songs and the rest are just variations of them.

Dunno if I dig The Incident than much, but it's certainly a damn fine album, kinda underrated tbh.

Also, Ommadawn >>>>> Tubular Bells.

Crow

agree with sacul that the 80's as a whole sucked for music in general

Kotowboy