Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. OMG Guys it's a new Chat Thread  (Read 390051 times)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. OMG Guys it's a new Chat Thread
« Reply #7315 on: November 03, 2016, 07:04:44 AM »
My pre-order status on the new Pixel XL switched to Pending this morning, so I'm hoping this means it will ship/be delivered very soon, as opposed to three weeks from now, which was the original estimate. Not having WiFi or Bluetooth is killing me; I'm almost out of data for the month and still have 14 days left in the cycle. I'll never come close to this much usage when WiFi works.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7316 on: November 03, 2016, 07:05:09 AM »
Yo.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7317 on: November 03, 2016, 07:06:58 AM »
This is completely random, but got a Q for you, Mr. King of the Shmegland: when you let people go, is it policy to give an exit interview? If so, who conducts them? Asking because we desperately need an exit process here but there is none. Curious from a site manager's viewpoint.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7318 on: November 03, 2016, 08:07:23 AM »
we've tried different styles.  We would give them a card with a # to call and send out a $10 gift card if they would call from me talking to them on why they were leaving.  For the mot part, they just quit without even telling me.  These days the manual labor kids jump from job to job fast.  Most answers are money or schedule.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7319 on: November 03, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
Cool.

Problem here is the one in charge is deluding herself into not thinking the main reason people leave is her. There's always an excuse or reason in her mind. It would just be beneficial to be able to have written evidence to present, but I doubt it will happen in the near future.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7320 on: November 03, 2016, 08:20:32 AM »
They could hand out cards when they give their notice and then if they call after they leave give them a $$$$  That works sometimes. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7321 on: November 03, 2016, 08:55:29 AM »
G'morning all. It's NY comedy week, so looking forward to seeing Patton Oswalt perform tonight and then Hannibal Buress tomorrow night :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7322 on: November 03, 2016, 09:22:48 AM »
I'm always trying to find new comics to get into...

...but the amount of times I start watching a comedian's show on Netflix and he just starts going "....you know when you're fucking a chick...."

OFF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7323 on: November 03, 2016, 09:40:37 AM »
Why is that the deal breaker?  Sex is a part of life.  No reason not to include it in the list of things to tell jokes about.

Hell, I would imagine most of us have at least one funny sex story we could tell.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7324 on: November 03, 2016, 09:45:04 AM »
It just seems like all comedians do it as they know talking dirty gets a crowd on their side immediately.

Plus it can't exactly be difficult or challenging to "write" dirty material. I'd wager that it's probably very very easy which is why so many use it as their default.

I'd like to hear someone like Louis CK do a 100% clean show. I bet he would have trouble.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7325 on: November 03, 2016, 09:48:55 AM »
Sex, toilet humor, and profanity are instantly relatable in the human mind. Not only are they "private" subjects that you don't justtalk about with anyone, practically anyone, like Hef said, has a funny fart or sex story that many others can relate to and also find funny. The taboo and profane trigger instinctual responses from us, and people love to hear it. The challenge isn't in finding the most amazing material, it's in delivering it in a way that removes the embarrassment and allows people to laugh at the story themselves at the same time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7326 on: November 03, 2016, 09:56:45 AM »
That said - I still think someone like Louis CK would have trouble writing a family friendly 90 minutes.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7327 on: November 03, 2016, 10:00:15 AM »
Of course he would, it isn't his style.
And I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't find a family-friendly 90 minutes as funny as an adult 90 minute.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7328 on: November 03, 2016, 10:05:08 AM »
I just got myself two tickets to see Louis CK at Madison Square Garden on a Friday night in december  :corn

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7329 on: November 03, 2016, 10:09:57 AM »
Nice, I was considering grabbing a ticket to that show :tup I saw him once before a few years ago, but I was pretty drunk by showtime :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7330 on: November 03, 2016, 11:59:13 AM »
I just got myself two tickets to see Louis CK at Madison Square Garden on a Friday night in december  :corn
Jealous.  There aren't very many comedians I would shell out that kind of cash for, but he is definitely one of them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7331 on: November 03, 2016, 12:13:48 PM »
Going to see the Rush Time Stand Still documentary tonight in the theater. Taking my sister with me. Should be fun.
Saw Beyond the Lighted Stage in the theater, too, and it kicked ass.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7332 on: November 03, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
My only comparison is that I saw DT's Live in Luna Park during its short theatrical appearance.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7333 on: November 03, 2016, 12:20:42 PM »
Well they are only in select theaters and for some bizarre reason, both times have shown at the theater within walking distance of my house, so it was a no-brainer both times.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7334 on: November 03, 2016, 12:37:22 PM »
Afternoon guys

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7335 on: November 03, 2016, 12:39:15 PM »
Yo.
2 and a half more hours of boredom. Least I'm getting paid but my holy fuckness I have nothing to do.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7336 on: November 03, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »
Jealous.  There aren't very many comedians I would shell out that kind of cash for, but he is definitely one of them.

30 bucks after taxes and fees a ticket, not really shelling out the dough. 

Nice, I was considering grabbing a ticket to that show :tup I saw him once before a few years ago, but I was pretty drunk by showtime :lol

I've seen him once before as well and was also wasted.  I honestly didn't think he was that funny that evening.  Obviously I think he is funnier than that to go see him again though.  I will probably be drunk again too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7337 on: November 03, 2016, 01:53:32 PM »

30 bucks after taxes and fees a ticket, not really shelling out the dough. 
Oh, wow!  That's awesome!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7338 on: November 03, 2016, 02:38:44 PM »

I've seen him once before as well and was also wasted.  I honestly didn't think he was that funny that evening.  Obviously I think he is funnier than that to go see him again though.  I will probably be drunk again too.

I remember him doing two bits that I thought were hilarious; one about how a guy always knows when he touches a boob, even if it's just him bumping into a woman while crossing the street and she's bundled up with a bunch of layers on, and the second is the "Of course, but maybe..." bit he closed one of his specials with. The rest of the show is kind of a blur for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7339 on: November 03, 2016, 03:08:41 PM »
Both of those bits were on his HBO special Oh My God

And OMG that show was hilarious.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7340 on: November 03, 2016, 04:33:48 PM »
Of course he would, it isn't his style.
And I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't find a family-friendly 90 minutes as funny as an adult 90 minute.

Yeah why write jokes when you just say Fuck And Cunt for 90 mins :)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7341 on: November 04, 2016, 06:38:49 AM »
:tup

I'm fucking exhausted. Gotta start sleeping better at night or I'm in for a world of hurt.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7342 on: November 04, 2016, 07:33:05 AM »
Spending my day db and site backups for 3 websites, running comprehensive updates, and beginning the arduous task of updating the look of all three for the coming year. At least I won't be bored, once the backups run.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7343 on: November 04, 2016, 08:03:10 AM »
Going to be a long day.  Got into work at 9am, going to head home around 4pm, flight to frankfurt at 9pm, land around 9am and straight to work all day Saturday and hopefully ending the night with a delicious German meal and beer.  The good thing, all of this will happen while I am on the clock  :yarr

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7344 on: November 04, 2016, 08:28:30 AM »
Heffe or Dunkel!!!!!!!!! :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7345 on: November 04, 2016, 09:17:07 AM »
Morning everyone

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7346 on: November 04, 2016, 09:21:14 AM »
Good morning all. Patton was excellent last night, looking forward to Hannibal Buress tonight :tup
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7347 on: November 04, 2016, 09:21:41 AM »
Heffe, obviously

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7348 on: November 04, 2016, 09:27:16 AM »
Heffe, obviously

I'd just have both.  It's how I roll. 

My brother was in France near the German border and told me that all the food was influenced by German style cooking.  All the meat were smoked.  It is a regional thing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7349 on: November 04, 2016, 05:45:05 PM »
Evening